Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lordxar5

post #1 of 21 Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832

Survival Horror father Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish) is back in the drivers seat.  

He's bringing Survival Horror back using ID Tech 5 on the PS4/Xbone in 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Oh, so it is Psycho Break in Japan and The Evil Within for the U.S. Looks pretty interesting.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
You got it.

I'm getting a very RE4 / Deadspace vibe, which isn't a bad thing (assuming the story is much better than the abortion RE4 was).
post #4 of 21 Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Dredging this one up from the bloody depths. Anybody else get this? Played the first chapter this morning. From a spoiler free review I read, the guy describes it as more of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre which so far I'd tend to agree with. Graphically it feels like a downgrade compared to Destiny or KZ but overall it's putting me right back into RE4 except bathed in blood....lots of blood.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I loved playing through RE4 so I am a bit interested. The controls for RE4 haven't aged so well. How does this play?

RE4 really hooked me from the atmosphere of the demo.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty good so far. I only put about a half hour into it and your mostly creeping around at that point. Haven't picked up a weapon so far so no clue on combat. The third person camera is really tight and screenshots just don't do this part justice. It is really fkn tight. We'll see how it affects game play though. Very intrigued by the story and some wildass sh*t has already occurred. The game doesn't seem scary, seems more like RE4 and Demon Souls. Action but very tense like your on edge constantly.

It's getting good reviews and most of the complaints revolve around a lack of ammo and being difficult. Some think the story doesn't go anywhere or its convoluted but no clue on that yet. If it's a bit hazy like Souls games I'm fine with that. Makes replays better especially if your exploring for trophies.
freemeat likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I watched a little bit of the IGN review and it looks fun.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-14-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I watched some streams of this and it comes off as typical Capcom stuff. Underwhelming visuals, horrible voice acting and character animation. I'll pass.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The aspect ratio is so damn annoying, it serves no purpose other than piss off gamers.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I just got it in the mail for Xbox One from Gamefly (rental). Reviews have been positive so I'm looking forward to playing a new survival horror game on the new gen systems. Only complaints I'm hearing is the framerate is inconsistent and the aspect ratio is kinda lame. It's 2014 and new, more powerful hardware...do devs really need to letterbox their games in order to increase processing power?? Apparently they do. Anyway, I'll try it tonight and post impressions later.

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #11 of 21 Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I played the first 2 chapters last night. The visual aspect is a letdown. I expected more on that part. I agree with Nex that the camera seems like its right on your ass. It does suck in certain parts when the camera is right on you and you can't see anything.

On the game itself, still on the fence. Don't hate but I don't love it. After seeing the commercial where they have "real people not actors" play the game and say its the scariest game ever I was expecting a more horror. None of that yet.

BB has a deal where you get a $10 gift card with purchase of this game.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #12 of 21 Old 10-15-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
After seeing the commercial where they have "real people not actors" play the game and say its the scariest game ever I was expecting a more horror. None of that yet.
Yea generally they get scared over something dumb. Some of the best horror movies don't have any gore or imply more than they show. I thought The Ring was great for that.

Got a gun finally. This plays like RE4 but with stealth. I'm getting the village vibe out of ch 2. Can't wait until the weekend to spend some quality time on it instead of bits and pieces before work, dam Destiny Did make myself jump though. Walked up to disarm a trap and went a tad far...BOOM!
post #13 of 21 Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I played the first chapter last night. This game probably isn't going to be for most.

It looks more like a PS3 game with improved resolution, I guess since it's cross-gen that's exactly what it is.

It does have the black bars top and bottom, but it doesn't bother me. They are quite clearly going for a restricted FOV, even without the bars it'd be restricted. It's by design to add to the sense of tension that these types of games depend on. This is then compounded by the way the protagonist (forgot his name already) moves at times. For example, in Ch1 he gets an injured leg (not saying how so no spoilers) and then limps around. The camera and restricted FOV, plus his limping which seems to generate an effect of camera shake with the limp (even though I don't think the camera actually shakes) results in a sensation of restricted control. In reality your control isn't restricted, it's just a feeling you have. The game has performance issues as well, but that doesn't explain the controls exclusively.

So far I like it, but I'm typically a different type of gamer.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #14 of 21 Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

There are more details in framerate and other aspects as well at the link.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis

Resolution is the first order of business: the developer opts for an extra-wide aspect ratio, presumably in order to reduce the games' rendering load - though HUD elements are displayed in this region. Based on what's rendered inside the letterbox, however, we're left with a 1920x768 resolution on PlayStation 4 and a meagre 1600x640 on Xbox One. In effect, it's the now-familiar 1080p vs 900p set-up here, but the intrusive borders serve to cut-down actual rendering resolution significantly. Only 71 per cent of the screen's real estate is actually used for gameplay - and the aspect ratio utilised is actually a higher 2.5:1 rather than the 'cinematic' 2.35:1.

Last edited by freemeat; 10-15-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I played the first chapter last night. This game probably isn't going to be for most.

It looks more like a PS3 game with improved resolution, I guess since it's cross-gen that's exactly what it is.
Yeah, same here - played thru chapter 1 last night. So far, not too impressed. The graphics on X1 look like a 360 or PS3 game to me, no upgrade IMO. I'm not a fan of the black bars but it doesn't distract from the game much on my large screen. I don't believe the bars are added for tension or movie-like experience. Make the screen smaller = free up processor resources and less to display on screen for better game performance.

The game is also choppy. Not distractingly so but c'mon man, this is next gen? I doubt it's even hitting 30fps.

It has that Shinji Mikami/Resident Evil feel which is a good thing. Despite my comments above, I think I'm enjoying it so far and that's what matters. It also feels very familiar. IMO so far it's a good rental but not worth a purchase.

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #16 of 21 Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

No framerate issues on the PS4 so far but like others have said, this isn't a looker. It's not horrible but not great either especially when Rage looked awesome last gen, Wolfenstein looked great this gen and it's all the same engine. The bars don't bother me but someone pointed out that their larger than usually seen on a movie. So yea there may be some pixel conservation going on. I did buy this but can see a couple play throughs if I put my big boy pants on and try to plat it. The trophies look tough so having this long term to gnaw on will be key.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The bars can serve a double purpose. It's not the first time Mikami has used them. Seems like this game lacks optimization, so bars certainly help cover that. I wouldn't be surprised to see this game get a patch that provides some "stability". Even then, the bars do add to the tension due to constriction. It's a false sense of restricted response. Just in the first chapter having to stealth away from crazy chainsaw guy, the reduced screen real-estate makes it that much harder to spot him or more importantly see where you need to go. The FOV, black bars, limping main character, it all adds up to the "survival" effect Mikami is clearly going for.

The resolution isn't lower than 1080p pixel density on the PS4, resolution isn't why this game looks last gen. On Xbone that might be the case as it's got a lower resolution plus on top of everything else.

post #18 of 21 Old 10-16-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Anyone know how long this game is? Wondering if it's worth buying or just renting it for 2 weekends.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-16-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post
Anyone know how long this game is? Wondering if it's worth buying or just renting it for 2 weekends.
Supposed to be like 15 hours or so.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the choppy framerate makes it feel like a last gen game. If they had optimized this to 60 fps, we'd have a winner. I usually am not distracted by graphics issues, but it's really noticeable in this game..maybe I'm spoiled by games like Infamous.

I also agree that this is a rental at best....not worth a purchase.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I can only play this briefly every other night or so, busy work schedule. Anyway, I've made it to Chapter 5 and the game has become pleasantly better. Chapter 4 had a nice intense sequence that made me forget the technical hangups, bad/sticky controls. Even the visuals seem to have improved (granted I did get a firmware update for my projector that enabled "super resolution")

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
The Evil Within

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page