Sony requires PS3 disc be inserted to play PS4 digital upgrade games - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

The entitlement age strikes again. If we can't have everything for next to nothing then it ain't fair!

You're getting the next gen version for $10, I'd say that you're lucky to be getting this offer at all. In past generations you'd have to pay full price for both or just have some patients and wait for the next gen version.

WARNING - RANT ALERT

You can call it an entitlement age all you want, but money talks, and BS walks. There are some of us that find spending the full $65 (after tax) on a game to be an ELE (extinction level event). In other words... some of us are living in a post Steam world. I just turned 43 years old the other day. I've been gaming at a hardcore level since the launch of the Sega Genesis and Turbografx-16. I bought my Super Nintendo the day it came out in late August of 1991. I paid full pop for games for more than two decades. I was the guy that bought several new games each month.

At the start of the 360 era, I was still that guy. But after awhile, I ended up developing a backlog of games, and running out to the store and paying the full $59.99 for the latest game became a distant memory to me. I built a gaming PC in the Spring of 2010, and that was all she wrote. Steam, Gamers Gate, Amazon downloads, they spoiled the hell out of me. Buying triple A games for $5 can spoil you real quick. Yeah, the games are last years games. Or even the year before that, but if you've already got a crazy backlog that's rising to the ceiling ? You don't need to play the latest and greatest.

I will say this, I'm not a multiplayer guy, so that's a HUGE part of it. I understand that if you're into online, multiplayer gaming, you have to have the game immediately, or you'll be too far behind the player base. I totally understand that. You have to have Ghosts on the first day, so you can learn the maps and whatnot, as quickly as the rest of the kiddies. I don't really care about playing people online. I mean, I'll play a sports game online, or a racing game online, but I'm not into online shooters. I'm the type that will play a game like that, and in two seconds I'm dead and starting over. It's just not my cup of tea. I love games like Fallout 3, Crackdown, Uncharted, Bioshock. So, if I play the game in 2009, or play it in 2011, it really doesn't matter to me.

Having said all that, if any of these games were showing some "true" next-gen eye candy, like the original Unreal Engine 4 Samaritan demo, I would be willing to pay the full $65. For example, anybody remember getting Doom for the Atari Jaguar in the summer of 1994 ? I remember it like yesterday. That game was well worth the full pop, because when you played that game on a nice RGB monitor, with a RGB cable, you were essentially playing a $1500 PC version of the game on a $200 console. That game was WELL worth the full price of admission, because it was some real deal next level stuff. Around the same time, Road Rash for the Panasonic 3DO was released. This was another game, that I bought day of release, without hesitation, cause it was some real next-generation power. When people first saw Road Rash running on the 3DO, let me tell you. People were used to Super Nintendo and Genesiss, and this was a huge freaking leap. You feel well justified in paying the full $65 for a game like that.

I hope there are some games like that this generation. Dead Rising 3 has a chance to be that game. Killzone, I guess... has a chance to be that game. (not a big Killzone guy). But quite honestly, my only real hope for launch is with one of the sports games. I have to hope that either the Fifa team, Madden team, NBA Live team or NBA 2K team was inspired to really go for broke with their first next-generation engine. Maybe it's the NBA 2K team that will do the magic. Maybe it will be Fifa. I remember back to the Xbox 360 launch, and the launch was kinda weak overall (COD2 was good), but NBA 2K6 was truly next-gen. That was some serious eye candy for somebody that had never seen players look so real, or arenas look so nice. So, I'm hoping somebody really tears it up, on either system, in the sports category, cause that's probably going to be the only game worth paying full pop for at launch. I feel bad for the many gamers that can't stand sports games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I hope I don't come off as too condescending, but I'm really proud of you guys. Here we had an issue brought up concerning DRM policies, but instead of everyone piling on (there's always an exception or two), some people took a moment to ask questions, discuss why the policies are in place, and even go as far as defending the policies because they make sense. And then what happened? Someone found out they didn't have a full understanding of the policy, others decided that the upgrade program probably wasn't for them, and others figured it's still a great deal for those that want to take advantage of it. This thread was started 3 days ago, and there aren't 20 pages of people calling gaming companies bad guys. Understand, this could have easily gone the other way--where large numbers of gamers cried foul and then caused the program to be cancelled--having everyone buy the games at full price.

It would have been nice if this had happened a few months back, thus saving a lot of people the hassle of gigs and GIGS of downloads...
Chris Schempp and freemeat like this.

thread closed
post #33 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
That's pretty condescending. smile.gif

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #34 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 372
There is a huge difference with this DRM policy. For one, now that I read the English language correctly ahem :sly:, it is pretty clear and genuinely advantageous to the consumer. Couple that with basically a free digital upgrade using the Sony October offer and there isn't a drawback. Maybe that you can't trade off the digital copies but if your getting a long term play game like COD or BF its totally worth it.
post #35 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

There is a huge difference with this DRM policy. For one, now that I read the English language correctly ahem :sly:, it is pretty clear and genuinely advantageous to the consumer. Couple that with basically a free digital upgrade using the Sony October offer and there isn't a drawback. Maybe that you can't trade off the digital copies but if your getting a long term play game like COD or BF its totally worth it.

Someone mentioned on the other page that you're basically buying BF4 and renting BF3, but I think that's a little backwards because of BF3 being a retail disc. Even if you go for the BF4 $10 upgrade, you still have BF3 and the physical disc that can be traded it in (or course losing the key to play BF4 digital). The value in the disc is always going to be there, and it's more than the digital license because of your options. Either way, it's a pretty good offer for those going the disc / digital route.

Digital / Digital, I'll echo Anthonys view; it's still a bit overpriced. Since there's nothing to trade you can split the cost down the middle 50/50 at $30 a license. But you have no baked in resell value, no artwork, no third party retail or manufacturing costs. I think you can see why this ends up being a better deal for EA than it does you, even if they "gave away" 2 licenses for $30 each.

Unfortunately I don't see the price structure for digital changing too much, too soon. Especially on these new systems. AFAIK Sony is allowing publishers and self-publishers to control prices and there's some rumblings of MS finally doing the same on Live, which might eventually lead to it. Indys will probably pave the way, and then big publishers will follow suit to compete and try to find their optimum digital revenue levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

But quite honestly, my only real hope for launch is with one of the sports games. I have to hope that either the Fifa team, Madden team, NBA Live team or NBA 2K team was inspired to really go for broke with their first next-generation engine. Maybe it's the NBA 2K team that will do the magic. Maybe it will be Fifa.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. We're still waiting for this, EA:
post #36 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
yeah, don't remind me. It's pretty sad that they still can't really recreate that in real time.
post #37 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Someone mentioned on the other page that you're basically buying BF4 and renting BF3, but I think that's a little backwards because of BF3 being a retail disc. Even if you go for the BF4 $10 upgrade, you still have BF3 and the physical disc that can be traded it in (or course losing the key to play BF4 digital). The value in the disc is always going to be there, and it's more than the digital license because of your options. Either way, it's a pretty good offer for those going the disc / digital route.

Digital / Digital, I'll echo Anthonys view; it's still a bit overpriced. Since there's nothing to trade you can split the cost down the middle 50/50 at $30 a license. But you have no baked in resell value, no artwork, no third party retail or manufacturing costs. I think you can see why this ends up being a better deal for EA than it does you, even if they "gave away" 2 licenses for $30 each.

Unfortunately I don't see the price structure for digital changing too much, too soon. Especially on these new systems. AFAIK Sony is allowing publishers and self-publishers to control prices and there's some rumblings of MS finally doing the same on Live, which might eventually lead to it. Indys will probably pave the way, and then big publishers will follow suit to compete and try to find their optimum digital revenue levels.
I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. We're still waiting for this, EA:

I don't get this video. I've seen it referenced before, and people getting upset that this isn't how Madden looks now. This isn't even possible in real time. The camera angles make absolutely no sense for a football game. It'd be unplayable. Also the graphics look like crap. The colors are muddy, and the textures are all flat.

Anyways, I assume you mean PS3 and PS4 copies of BF4, BF3 has been out for a long time already.

I'm not sure why people are getting so offended by this (IMO very generous) upgrade offer. If you don't like the deal then wait for the PS4 copy to come out, it's only a 2 week wait. If you must play the inferior version 2weeks early, then buy the PS3 copy. Play it for 2 weeks, and then sell it. Best case scenario you'll get $40. Then go buy your PS4 copy. Now you've spent $80, but you did it your own way. You really showed them!

Even if you rent it from RedBox, assuming you can get it on release day, it'll cost $2 a day. That's $36.

post #38 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Only $10 to say "This. This is why I got a PS4." after playing the current gen version for two weeks before switching to the 64 player maps of the PS4 smile.gif

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #39 of 39 Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
If you buy the digital version for PS3 you get $10 for spending $50 (through Oct), so the PS4 version is basically free. Plus no disc swapping for either one. I want both because I have gaming friends who aren't upgrading from the PS3.
DollarBill2012 likes this.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Assassins Creed Iv Black Flag , Call Of Duty Ghosts , Watch Dogs , Battlefield 4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page