Sony requires PS3 disc be inserted to play PS4 digital upgrade games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Both Microsoft and Sony are offering gamers a way to upgrade select titles they have purchased for the Xbox 360 and PS3 to the Xbox One and PS4 versions. That way, you purchase the current gen game on release, and then can upgrade to the next-gen version at a heavily discounted price when it becomes available.
Sony has now revealed exactly how that digital upgrade will work for the four games it supports as part of the program, and depending on how you buy, it may require PS3 discs be inserted into a PS4 for the games to function.
Sony’s digital upgrade program supports the following titles:
Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Watch Dogs
Battlefield 4
If you purchase digital copies of those games through PSN then the upgrade to the PS4 version is simple as everything is tied to your PSN account. Things get a little more complicated if you purchase the PS3 versions on disc, though.
Each physical copy will have a code included with the disc which you need to enter on the PlayStation Store. That code is then tied to your PSN account. Then, when you get a PS4 you can purchase one of the four games mentioned above through the PlayStation Store and the discount will be automatically applied to the price you pay.
Sony wants to ensure you don’t then sell on your copy of the PS3 game, so in order to play the PS4 version you must have the PS3 game inserted into the console. So Sony has implemented some kind of verification check on the PS3 discs to make sure the upgrade was legit and you own the PS3 game.
I can understand why Sony decided to do that as it stops a glut of used PS3 games appearing on the market. But they didn’t need to do this. The code included with the PS3 versions only work once, so it’s not like you can share the disc with your friends and get the same cheap PS4 game upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

I can understand why Sony decided to do that as it stops a glut of used PS3 games appearing on the market. But they didn’t need to do this. The code included with the PS3 versions only work once, so it’s not like you can share the disc with your friends and get the same cheap PS4 game upgrades.

I think I can see why it's necessary. If you didn't need the disc what's to stop someone from buying the PS3 version of Watch Dogs, upgrading to the PS4 version for $10 or whatever, and then selling back the PS3 game for nearly full price. You'd be gettting PS4 games for $10 each.

Will there be some kind of option to upgrade a PS3 disc for a PS4 disc though?
post #3 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
^^^ Gamestop might let you make the trade for $15 or so.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #4 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote
Will there be some kind of option to upgrade a PS3 disc for a PS4 disc though?[/quote]

yes.
its called pony up $60 for the PS4 version
post #5 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I think making the disc check happen is stupid. It will keep me personally from even bothering with PS3 version of anything the PS4 upgrades offer. Do I have to have both systems on constantly for it, daily check maybe? They have a chance to make $70 but screwed this one up. Even worse you can't trade your disc off without losing both versions. Definite PASS for me.
post #6 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
If you pay full price for both versions, you can trade either one and keep the other. If you don't pay full price for both, why do you feel entitled to get more back than you dished out?
rolltide1017 likes this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #7 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Did anyone actually think this would work any differently?
freemeat likes this.

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #8 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 832
no

?
post #9 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
O K

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #10 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

sounds ,smells like DRM to me
post #11 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Of course disc checks are DRM, but we've been dealing with them since 1995.

XBone will be doing this as well. Publishers aren't in the business of giving away free games, be it 10 or 1.
post #12 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The way I see this, if I'm buying a disc for $60 and getting the upgrade for another $10 the publisher is making $70. What do they care if I trade the disk off? They made extra money and lose nothing.
post #13 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

I think making the disc check happen is stupid. It will keep me personally from even bothering with PS3 version of anything the PS4 upgrades offer. Do I have to have both systems on constantly for it, daily check maybe? They have a chance to make $70 but screwed this one up. Even worse you can't trade your disc off without losing both versions. Definite PASS for me.

Well just buy the digital version. Problem solved and no disc switching. Or just wait and pick up only the PS4 version, saving yourself the $10. Honestly the upgrade eligibility window is too short as of right now. I don't get why anyone would buy a game at the end of October when they know they'll be getting a next-gen system before Christmas.
Leo_Ames likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #14 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't really planning on taking advantage of this anyway though I did consider it for a brief minute until the disc in tray requirement came along and killed any consideration at all. I'm not too concerned with waiting two weeks but it would have been cool to get BF4 at launch, trade it for a modest fee to DD and recoup a few bucks off a used game place.
post #15 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 PM

I'm honestly surprised we got this at all with how stingy publishers tend to be.

$10 more to upgrade your license to also include the better next gen version seems pretty sweet to me.

If people are patient they could still do the upgrade, sell their disc immediately, then buy one used at a very discounted price later and have them both dirt cheap.
post #16 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Or you could just not be an idiot and wait for the PS4 version since buying a dumbed-down version of a next gen game is idiotic.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

500 gigs FTW.
post #17 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Or you could just not be an idiot and wait for the PS4 version since buying a dumbed-down version of a next gen game is idiotic.

That was my initial thoughts, but with BF4 progress rolling up from current to next gen its really not a bad deal. Getting a jump on the competition and all. Its really not a bad deal but the disc in requirement makes it a lot less desirable. I would have probably hung on to the current gen version for some time but as it is, meh.
post #18 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I know what I'm about to talk about is more Xbox related, but it's also related specifically to this topic, so bear with me....

I thought that Activision was offering a special deal on the Xbox 360 version, where you pay $69.99 for the digital download (for the Xbox 360), and you also get a digital download for the Xbox One. Now, my question with this is, do both games need to be downloaded under the same gamertag, and can both versions be played simultaneously ? Reason I ask, is that all my kids friends will have Xbox 360 systems, so they are going to want that version to be able to play with their friends. However, if I can somehow get a next-gen version for only $10 more, might as well do it, right ? Of course the downside, is that I won't be able to sell either version to anybody else, so it's a one time deal...
post #19 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Gamestop has their tradeup offer too where you buy current gen and are guaranteed a certain trade value.
post #20 of 39 Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 201
If you're buying a retail version of a game, I see no issue with them requiring that said disc be present in the drive.

They obviously don't want a sudden glut of traded in PS3 games a few weeks later. And I'm sure that the Xbox One counterpart will be similar. Neither platform holder wants you to get a free preview of the full current generation version of a major game and then a heavily discounted next generation game after trading in the PS3/360 version.

So it's hardly a surprise that they're going to make you hold on to your disc. If you want digital, you buy digital.
post #21 of 39 Old 09-22-2013, 11:17 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

They did have to do this. What are you talking about? Yea the code only works once, but then you could've sold your PS3 copy for $40+. The market would then become flooded with used PS3 copies, meaning a huge drop in new sales.

Also, not everyone is upgrading to Next Gen yet. So all the people that bought PS3 versions would sell or give away their PS4 vouchers to friends. Which means a drop in next gen title sales.

Come on people ! These companies aren't stupid. As soon as they announced this deal, gamers eyes lit up. I knew it was too good to be true, and I knew there would be some way they would prevent the chaos that was inevitably going to happen. I had no idea they'd be able to authenticate PS3 discs in the PS4 though, that's genius !

Most importantly, there is no obligation on these companies to even offer you an upgrade to next gen for a discount, let alone for a measly $10. They could've been total jerks about it and offered no upgrade program, " You'll give us $120 if you want to play both versions, and you'll like it ! "

If you want to take advantage of this sweet deal, great. If not, don't be a baby about it, just wait the damn 2 weeks and buy the next gen copy only.
Leo_Ames, Jdurg and Bigfame like this.
post #22 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 11
If you bought the PS4 disc based version wouldn't the disc be required in the drive also? It is this gen... This is a non-issue...
post #23 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 242
The entitlement age strikes again. If we can't have everything for next to nothing then it ain't fair!

You're getting the next gen version for $10, I'd say that you're lucky to be getting this offer at all. In past generations you'd have to pay full price for both or just have some patients and wait for the next gen version.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #24 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Geez, why can't I just do a $10 upgrade to PS4 from The Nothing.
post #25 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I see my flaw. I misread things as needing the PS3 disc in a PS3 before loading your PS4 DD. Having the PS3 disc in the PS4 makes a lot more sense. Got to learn to stop skimming articles... This is palatable now, time for a GS visit.
post #26 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM

You can also just got total digital and skip the whole PS3 disc in PS4 check period.
emartins likes this.
post #27 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Basically, you're paying $10 to get to play the current-gen version of a game for two weeks while you're waiting for the next-gen version to come out. If two weeks of play is worth $10 to you, then it's a good deal. Honestly, two weeks of play of a fresh game for $10 seems like a pretty good deal to me; the price of a movie... quite a bit more entertainment value here if you like the game. This of course assumes you would have been planning on getting the next-gen version anyway... I'll probably try to cram in some games from my backlog during that timeframe since I don't think I'll get to them once the PS4 comes out, and I'll just wait for the PS4 version.

Question that hasn't been answered. If you buy the PS3 version digitally, then upgrade and get the PS4 version digitally, does the PS3 version still work? Like it could be played in another room, or take the PS3 with me for extended work trips, while leaving the PS4 at home?

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #28 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Basically, you're paying $10 to get to play the current-gen version of a game for two weeks while you're waiting for the next-gen version to come out. If two weeks of play is worth $10 to you, then it's a good deal. Honestly, two weeks of play of a fresh game for $10 seems like a pretty good deal to me; the price of a movie... quite a bit more entertainment value here if you like the game. This of course assumes you would have been planning on getting the next-gen version anyway... I'll probably try to cram in some games from my backlog during that timeframe since I don't think I'll get to them once the PS4 comes out, and I'll just wait for the PS4 version.

Question that hasn't been answered. If you buy the PS3 version digitally, then upgrade and get the PS4 version digitally, does the PS3 version still work? Like it could be played in another room, or take the PS3 with me for extended work trips, while leaving the PS4 at home?

Yep, the ps3 version still works.

What isn't clear is if your stats or saves are persistent between the two. For something like cod, they say you can pick up right where you left off when you upgrade, but nothing about what happens when you go back to the ps3.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #29 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

DD looking better. Am really considering changing my BF4 disc preorder to a camera and just buying the preorder listed below for BF. The $10 given back can buy the PS4 digital version.

[URL] http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/24/sale-get-10-for-every-50-spent-new-day-1-digital-pre-orders/[/URL]
post #30 of 39 Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 AM

BF4 is going to be my first foray into Digital AAA Games.

Sonys quick switching, streaming, and quick join through the OS looks great, and having my main MP game being able to use those features will be nice. By the time I'm done with the MP of a game like BF4 the disc has more worth as a drink coaster anyways. Even buying premium it should net out to about $0.10/hour worth of entertainment over the long haul. then the fact that it'll someday be taken down anyways, disc or digital matter not.

At that price and can give up the need for physical. Benefits seem to out weigh the costs for that title.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Assassins Creed Iv Black Flag , Call Of Duty Ghosts , Watch Dogs , Battlefield 4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page