For those going digital download only, how are you going to deal with the game sizes ? (killzone SF 50 gigs? ) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
With games like Killzone Shadow Fall approaching 50 gigs, are you people really going to download that ? I mean, that would take me like 2 days to download (if not more). Plus, it would take up 1/10th of the total hard drive space (actually more than that, cause you never get the full amount anyways).

I've heard some people talking about upgrading to a larger hard drive immediately, before they even start downloading any PS4 games.

I'm on Uverse, and I think they have a 250 gig cap, so for me, this would be a no-no, even if I wanted to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm upgrading my HDD from the get go, but I'm waiting till the PS4 gets released first (29th Nov release date for me) so I can find out what mm 2.5" drive it can take up to, ie whether it's 9.5mm or if it can take larger.

9.5mm are currently limited to 1TB, so I'm eyeing a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 1TB for the larger capacity plus the faster read speeds and access times.

Internet in my country isn't that fast, very few places have FIOS yet and I'm not sure if Sony will even host locally on the FIOS backbone.

It would be nice if Sony was to allow a hybrid sort of install kind of like what was originally planned for the Xbox One. You get a retail copy(rental stores would be great for this), install from that. Then buy the full version online, it makes the correct modifications to the files so it can run without the retail disk anymore and Bob's your uncle.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

It would be nice if Sony was to allow a hybrid sort of install kind of like what was originally planned for the Xbox One. You get a retail copy(rental stores would be great for this), install from that. Then buy the full version online, it makes the correct modifications to the files so it can run without the retail disk anymore and Bob's your uncle.

Are you sure that they're not?

It seems like a very practical option for a platform that was putting heavy emphasis on the ability to continue renting and lending retail games to offer such an option for those that decide to make a digital purchase after experiencing a game.
post #4 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Hope you're right and they are. I just haven't read announcement that they are.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 386
This is what I fear, the downloads will take way to long. I planned on using an external HD but I read that we cant use it to install games to so I will upgrade the HD eventually. I only plan on getting 1 game digitally right now so I am not concerned with HD space in the beginning.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #6 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 398
The first thought I had about KZ being 50 GB is that its going to be an exception. Kingdoms of Amalur is 14 GB, and many other current gen games hover around 6 to 8 GB. I'd guess normal games will run about 20 GB. They will be big but not as massive as KZ for a bit.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The textures the games uses are going to be bigger. So instead of having a bitmap it uses to make a character at 720p...
its going to have textures for 1080... heck they may use higher res ones so its ready for nextgen on PC etc.

These open world graphical games are going to be a lot bigger.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I have a 1TB hybrid waiting to be installed as soon as it gets here.

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #9 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I don't think 50 GB is going to be the norm, in fact, I bet KZ will be less then that when it is finally released. I bet the 50 GB size is what it is internally right now and I think they'll get it compressed some more before it comes out. As this new generation plays out, they'll develop better compression methods, just like they have throughout the current gen, which will keep file sizes down. I think 50 GB will be the rare exception, not the rule. I think most games will hover around 15 - 20 GB, maybe pushing towards 30 by the end of the next generation.

I haven't decided if I'm going to upgrade my HDD right off the bat. I'm already pushing my budget by getting the console, a Cooke games and PSN+, not sure I'll have the funds for a HDD as well.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #10 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 832
BF4 is said to clock in at 30GB. I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC's add another 10-15GB. Uncompressed sound, high resolution assets and the like do take up a lot of space.

Said it before and will say it again, digital download isn't ready for prime time until ISP's step up. Hell, we're still getting heavily compressed 1080i cable streams and worse compression over internet streams. ISP are dialing up throttling and caps, instead of expanding speeds and service.

I'm taking ZBuffs route, but hoping the oversize drives fit.
post #11 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 193
Next gen games will take up a ton of room for all next gen options that can offer full HD. I'm with U-Verse too and they have no cap here in So Cali. Can you get an unlimited cap, and is it a lot more expensive?

~~~

Still, 50 gigs is 50 gigs. As I said on this issue in the other thread, the key point to consider is the PS4's feature of being able to play a game after only a few GBs are installed. No, you won't have to wait for all 50 GBs to dload (digital) and install before you can go out on the battlefield. The rest of the game will dload and silently install as you play and/or while you are away.

As for having room to store the games, it's a question I asked about: of this new Play-Go feature works well enough, it may be simpler to keep your most played games on your drive while deleting those you don't play as often. The idea is you can re-play a deleted game by dloading it again far sooner than you could by doing the same on the PS3 (which had to wait for a full dload and install first).

We won't know for sure on how well any of this will work until it releases most likely, but at minimum the problem doesn't appear to be as bad as it initially seems.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #12 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

BF4 is said to clock in at 30GB. I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC's add another 10-15GB. Uncompressed sound, high resolution assets and the like do take up a lot of space.

Isn't that the file size of the PC version? Or is it the same for next-gen also?

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #13 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I don't think you will be able to play online multiplayer games while downloading. What if the next map isn't downloaded yet, you get booted? I feel this more for campaigns.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #14 of 27 Old 10-13-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What's been said is that gamers would be able to choose which mode to dload first, i.e. solo or multiplayer for a FPS title. My guess is that the essential, universal vs. files for multiplayer would be dloaded first if you choose that, and then maps would be dloaded as needed. That's what currently happens on the PC in something like Team Fortress 2 when you try and join a custom map while a game is in progress - the assets for that map are sent to you during the loading screen, and after a small delay you join the fight.

post #15 of 27 Old 10-14-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

Isn't that the file size of the PC version? Or is it the same for next-gen also?

PC, but I don't see why next gen consoles would be much different. Current Gen BF3 is around 22GB with all the DLC's if I'm rembering correctly.
post #16 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 665
I plan on waiting until I run out of storage space, or at least until I can get a very good deal on a larger capacity Hybrid drive. Then I will just upgrade the drive and download all of the content again. Since I'm on FiOS their cap is around 10TB so I'm not worried about hitting it with a few hundred extra gigabytes of downloads.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #17 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
New SSD tech is going to ignite a new price war, so I will be sticking with the stock drive until that battle shakes out.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-16-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

It just occurred to me, mandatory installs won't matter if your getting things digitally or not. The only bearing DD has is the download itself and not being able to trade them off. So regardless which side of the fence your on, hard disk capacity will possibly be an issue, no?
post #19 of 27 Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 16
I'm going all digital. Even with not being able to trade or sell old games off, being able to D/L games on my machine and my son's machine at his mom's house and only having to buy the game once will save me half.

gamertag: xxx shiv xxx
PSN: xx_shiv_xx
post #20 of 27 Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm doing a hybrid. Having BF3 and the BF4 beta digitally was great. Easy to drop out of whatever disc based game I had and start BF up. PS4 will be even easier. Games I don't care to play very long, ie rentals, will be on disc but long term stuff will be digital.
post #21 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I think one of the variables is if the PS4 requires double the available space for the DD install. On the PS3, Uncharted 3 at 30GB+ requires 60GB+ initially, then you can use that space for other stuff afterwards.
I got that right, right?
post #22 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 AM

yup
post #23 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Since games install as they download on PS4, double the space shouldn't be needed this time around.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #24 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I plan on waiting until I run out of storage space, or at least until I can get a very good deal on a larger capacity Hybrid drive. Then I will just upgrade the drive and download all of the content again. Since I'm on FiOS their cap is around 10TB so I'm not worried about hitting it with a few hundred extra gigabytes of downloads.

As long as you stay PS+ and upload game saves to the cloud, then this is probably the best way to go.

All those years playing RockBand where DRM prevents you from backing up your game files... was waiting for disaster.
(and redownloading 1000 songs took me 12 hours)

Not so much losing time to redownload it, but losing your progress.

Everything PS4 will be PS+ cloud save capable, so things should be easy to restore (ala Steam) now.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Since games install as they download on PS4, double the space shouldn't be needed this time around.

The news that disc based caches can't be easily converted to digital purchases is stupid though. I wonder what went wrong there, and if it can be fixed.

Seems like something that only benefits all parties; customers, Sony, and publishers. Rent a game, like it; just convert the disc installation data to a full digital license purchase.

MS definitely got that one right, although they had to backtrack the other way (on disc only being coasters to get data to customers).
post #26 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I've got PS+ and, as a result, have quite a backlog on my PS3. This will probably continue with PS4 titles on PS+, too.

Considering how long it took to transfer data (<80GB) when upgrading the HD on the PS3, I've got a 1.5TB HD ready to go in before I even turn the PS4 on the first time. Not planning to go all digital but if the installs are on the order of 10s of GBs, it won't take many games before old installs are removed only to be re-installed the next time you put the affected game in.
post #27 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Which is why the. PlayGo feature will be an improvement over the system we have with the PS3. This will allow us to begin playing a game before it finishes downloading, so the issue with reacquiring digital games will not be as bad as it otherwise could be.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console , Killzone Shadow Fall , Battlefield 4 Playstation 4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page