Labor issues at PS4's factory - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/will-labor-issues-ding-sony-playstation-sales.html/?ref=YF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Maybe I am cold-hearted but I could really care less and will buy one anyway. If this was such a big deal I would think this would hurt many other CE companies but it doesn't so no sweat off my back.

Also, if you are going to post this here I hope it is on the XBone thread also since M$ is using Foxconn to produce the XBone also.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Call me sub zero then. This news makes me wonder if I'm getting the early morning well built unit or the 10 hour later lemon....

Interns think their people!
-Archer biggrin.gif
Smigro likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Liked: 832

Hope you're sitting down for this, but it's the same place thats also making XBones.

Anyways mods, can we lock this? Guy has a history of trolling and I belive he's been banned from the PS4 thread, and possible even the XBone thread.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Only trolls call it the Xbone.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Hope you're sitting down for this, but it's the same place thats also making XBones.

Anyways mods, can we lock this? Guy has a history of trolling and I belive he's been banned from the PS4 thread, and possible even the XBone thread.

Banned from the PS4 thread?
don't make me laugh
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:

yes, he is probably the biggest troll on AVS
Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Only trolls call it the Xbone.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsofts-spencer-says-the-clever-xbone-nickname-will-stick/1100-6415291/

Like it or not, people are just gonna have to accept it... MS has.
zBuff and freemeat like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Yep, guess I'm heartless as well because these types of stories will never change my purchasing habits. It's the culture over there, been going on for centuries and me not buying a PS4 is not going to change anything.
Smigro likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 521
On the positive side, if our gadgets weren't so popular these people would still be suffering so were really providing humanitarian aid! Its all in how you see things.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

wonder why americans have a reputation of being out of touch with the rest of the world??
vedderpj13 likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

wonder why americans have a reputation of being out of touch with the rest of the world??

I see what you are saying, but regardless of whether I am in touch with the rest of the world or not these practices will still be used. I am in no way saying this is right or a justifiable action, but it is not going to make me change my mind on getting a PS4. I we were to all do that I highly doubt we would have any CE products in our households.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I see what you are saying, but regardless of whether I am in touch with the rest of the world or not these practices will still be used. I am in no way saying this is right or a justifiable action, but it is not going to make me change my mind on getting a PS4. I we were to all do that I highly doubt we would have any CE products in our households.

i never said it should "change anyone's mind about buying a PS4", it's the "couldn't care less" and the "doesn't affect me so i don't care" that personally bothers me, my wife and i watch a lot of documentaries on netflix and there are some really messed up things that happen throughout the world that most people say "no sweat off my back". I am sure that i am a little sensitive to this whole subject...
Old 10-15-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

Because not buying a PS4 is going to make the Chinese government / companies suddenly treat its citizens / employees with respect when they haven't done that for 1000s of years.

Why is it always America's job to police the world and force its morals onto other cultures?

Here is another article which gives a little more detail then the one linked in the op: http://www.develop-online.net/news/report-foxconn-using-unpaid-student-interns-to-build-ps4/0184309

What's mentioned in that article is not even that bad IMO. How do we truly know that this just isn't a few lazy college kids complaining about not getting enough breaks? Neither article provides any real proof or evidence other then to say there have been some complaints, it's also only one side of the story.

The complaints are mostly from interns about working the same hours as regular employees, yet unpaid. Well, hello, that's why it is called an internship, no big issue there IMO.

Quote:
The program is part of an agreement between the institute and the tech manufacturer which the school publicly recognizes and promotes

How much do you want to bet that these students were aware of this requirement when they enrolled in the school. Nowhere in the article do they say that the school has forced them into these internships just for the PS4, it actually sounds like this is part of the normal requirement to graduate. Seems to me we just have some students who are just trying to make headlines now because it is the PS4.

The more I read the less this sounds like a labor issue but, more of a cranky college kids issue.

I'm so tired of how everyone jumps on a bandwagon these days because of an internet article without even asking if the article is providing all the facts. Most news stories on the internet are really just opinions with facts left out to make the authors opinion seem like the truth. The way that article is written is not in a way to expose controversy but to create controversy.

If iPhone sells weren't hurt buy their labor controversy then the PS4's sells will not be hurt either. This is a non story IMO and this thread was only created to troll.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Quote:

Thanks for that Smigro. Everyone in this thread that is commenting on the virtues of Foxconn more than likely owns a device that comes from their factory. We are all tacit supporters of whatever practices they employ. Same for the shoes you wear and the shirt on your back, so unless we all decide to dispose of 2/3 of what we're wearing and talking on (at least here in the USA) there should be no name calling here. Glass houses and all that.
Smigro likes this.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

Yep, he was banned from both threads for violating the sales data rule multiple times. He kept linking to Amazon's hourly best sellers, but it blew up in his face each time once the all time best sellers for the year list was posted.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 828

How could this affect sales? I'm sure there will be more than enough people willing to gobble up all production this year. Most people won't care about labor issues and certainly would not affect them making a purchase.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
edit: decided not to feed the troll, cause it's pretty obvious that's all this thread is for.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 192
This user posts nothing of value. I only know which user it is by someone else quoting.
Quote:
This post is hidden because the user is in your block list. (Click to show)

While I was participating in the xbone thread months ago, every single post by this person was trolling.

Block him and have a better experience in the game forums.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Tags
Playstation 4 Console