Closed Thread

post #91 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Microsoft of today just doesn't inspire confidence. Whatever numbers we have floating out there show them losing money everywhere besides Windows and Office where they are a monopoly.

XB1 launch was pathetic. With their money they had an opportunity to demolish Sony who bet the farm on PS4. They want people to pay extra $100 for Kinect - where is the KILLER launch application for Kinect? There isn't one. I do not see one on the horizon, either.

The impression is that they either a) do not know what they are doing or b) so much corporate infighting that the higher management is too busy stabbing each other in the back to pay attention to the product they are putting out.

Neither possibility makes one want to buy their product.

In comparison, PS4 is a reasonably priced well built machine which is supposed to play games. Yes, the interface is crap, who cares. It plays games.

Its only the launch, were you expecting either company to release an ultra polished refined final version of the system? Isnt ps4 already on its 2nd firmwire update?? The launch for both systems wete flawed and poor.
I chose xbox at launch because at launch it has dead rising, forza, killer instinct, ryse, and i was greatly looking forward its tv integration and multitasking. And the kinect voice commands are really cool and usable.
Sony at launch had knack and killzone, thats it. its a ps3 with upgraded hardware thats all it is right now

Both systems will expand, improve and evolve. The 360 and ps3 are currently WAY different then when they first launched. They didnt have any streaming services at all and the 360 is one of the best streaming devices out there content wise.

Both systems launched with some hardware problems and bad press, sony fans were up in arms that the ps4 wasnt going to support mp3 or music cds or external storage support.
There is no way anyone can call a winner at this point or say who is goong to fail. Both had horible launches yet both shattered their own record sales, go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

Just curious, im in a conundrum as I dont know which way to go. Ive got both preordered but am still on the fence... tell me why you switched
Well the thread is turning into a format war. Let me just ask you if you have pre-orders on both are you looking for games. exclusive to X-box and PS-4, if so what game excites you the most. Which is your must have game, let that determine which system you get first. Trust your instincts. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #93 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post

To put it politely, you dont know what you are talking about and you're acting like a child in the process.

The PS4 gpu is based on a pc gpu a Radeon 7850.
The Xbox One gpu is based on a pc gpu a Radeon 7790.

PS4 gpu - 18 compute units.
Xbox One gpu - 12 compute units.
The compute units may be used to offload jobs from the cpu such as the calculations needed for physics
or they can be used for pure graphics work.

PS4 gpu - 1152 shader units.
Xbox One gpu - 768 shader units.

PS4 gpu - 32 Rops (Render Output Unit).
Xbox One - 16 Rops.
Rops take the information that other components in the gpu have already processed and
convert it into the image that is output to your display device. The Radeon gpu that the ps4 gpu is based on has
32 rops because that is what is typically needed for a gpu targeting 1080p. The Xbox One gpu has only 16.
Which means that things are going have to be cut or scaled down in Xbox One versions for it to hit 1080p.

And as already stated, the power gap is already showing up in launch multiplatform games.

Think about this for a minute:
Take two identical pcs except one has a 7850 Radeon as gpu and one has a 7790 Radeon gpu.
Identical in every aspect even the version of Windows and all drivers.
Now pick some modern games, play them on both with fraps running. Which one do you think will run these games
better - it will be the 7850. And get this - no special programming required for the 7850 to come out ahead.
Thats what we have with the PS4 and Xbox One.

Well u seem to have done some research so let me pick your brain.
Microsoft claims they are setting their cloud up to help with processing power and the cloud will be able to handle things like shadows and weather effects. How does the specs you posted reflect this??

Also, they say they can evolve and enhance the system thru the cloud future proofing the system a bit and keeping it up to date. Exsctly how does that work? My thoughts are how a hdmi 1.4 port can be updated to a 2.0 port thru a firmwire update, but i may be wrong
post #94 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:05 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Microsoft of today just doesn't inspire confidence. Whatever numbers we have floating out there show them losing money everywhere besides Windows and Office where they are a monopoly.

XB1 launch was pathetic. With their money they had an opportunity to demolish Sony who bet the farm on PS4. They want people to pay extra $100 for Kinect - where is the KILLER launch application for Kinect? There isn't one. I do not see one on the horizon, either.

The impression is that they either a) do not know what they are doing or b) so much corporate infighting that the higher management is too busy stabbing each other in the back to pay attention to the product they are putting out.

Neither possibility makes one want to buy their product.

In comparison, PS4 is a reasonably priced well built machine which is supposed to play games. Yes, the interface is crap, who cares. It plays games.

Huh? How exactly did Microsoft have a chance to demolish Sony ? I mean if they couldnt demolish them in 2006 - the PS3 launched a year later than 360 at about $200 more than the 360. On top of that it was alot harder to develop for. In spite of all this it still overtook the 360 and sold more in the end.
MS never had a chance to demolish anything here - Sony has a very well designed system, as good a set of first party developers as anybody including Nintendo and they are doing excellent pr and they have the momentum from last generation. I give them full credit for learning from the mistakes made from the PS3 launch (there were alot of them) and becoming a much more humble company in the process.
At the same time I cant believe MS has seemingly learned nothing from a great product in the 360. MS is seemingly doing all the same things wrong now that Sony did in 2006-2007.
post #95 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

The PS4 gpu is based on a pc gpu a Radeon 7850.
The Xbox One gpu is based on a pc gpu a Radeon 7790.

PS4 gpu - 18 compute units.
Xbox One gpu - 12 compute units.
The compute units may be used to offload jobs from the cpu such as the calculations needed for physics
or they can be used for pure graphics work.

PS4 gpu - 1152 shader units.
Xbox One gpu - 768 shader units.

PS4 gpu - 32 Rops (Render Output Unit).
Xbox One - 16 Rops.
Rops take the information that other components in the gpu have already processed and
convert it into the image that is output to your display device. The Radeon gpu that the ps4 gpu is based on has
32 rops because that is what is typically needed for a gpu targeting 1080p. The Xbox One gpu has only 16.
Which means that things are going have to be cut or scaled down in Xbox One versions for it to hit 1080p.

And as already stated, the power gap is already showing up in launch multiplatform games.

Think about this for a minute:
Take two identical pcs except one has a 7850 Radeon as gpu and one has a 7790 Radeon gpu.
Identical in every aspect even the version of Windows and all drivers.
Now pick some modern games, play them on both with fraps running. Which one do you think will run these games
better - it will be the 7850. And get this - no special programming required for the 7850 to come out ahead.
Thats what we have with the PS4 and Xbox One.

Thats awesome you can read spec sheets. One day you'll realize that not because something is better "on paper" doesn't make it better in the real world. Same could be said for everything in life for example the whole Android vs iPhone debate different people have different needs android isn't polished at all imo I personally regret buying a Galaxy S4 hoping the grass would be greener since the spec sheet would lead you to believe so but the iPhone is hands down a far more polished device/experience. XBOX for me has better game exclusives and better relationships with game makers who's games I actually buy. XBOX live is drastically better then PSN at least it was one when I had both last gen systems I don't know if they've improved ever since PSN was shut down after being hacked for weeks/months. I'll wait for a year or so when the real next gen games are released and say how much better the "PS4" is supposed to be 50% better ya ok good luck with that. Having more lines of resolution doesn't even equal better graphics either btw. A crappy tv that claims 1080p native pixel with a crappy scaler will like trash compared to a 720p or 1080i with a really good video scaler. You don't have to agree but it is what it is.
denide likes this.
post #96 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 541
They might look about the same Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
from 40 feet away
beach scrub likes this.
post #97 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
PS4 games running at 1080p don't have to worry about scaling. Either way, all three next gen consoles scale all non 1080p native games to 1080p without the TV needing to do anything.

Besides, the Xbox One scaler is over sharpening the image and crushing blacks currently for every sub 1080p game. Better to set it to 720p for the games rendering at that resolution and let the TV handle it until Microsoft patches it.

And yes, Resolution is a very good indication of graphics. More pixels equals a clearer image. In many cases it is over one million extra pixels. That is a significant gap.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #98 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Well u seem to have done some research so let me pick your brain.
Microsoft claims they are setting their cloud up to help with processing power and the cloud will be able to handle things like shadows and weather effects. How does the specs you posted reflect this??

Also, they say they can evolve and enhance the system thru the cloud future proofing the system a bit and keeping it up to date. Exsctly how does that work? My thoughts are how a hdmi 1.4 port can be updated to a 2.0 port thru a firmwire update, but i may be wrong

The reason these systems are designed to process data as fast as they are is because they have to process data that fast in order to run the games they do.
Do you really think your internet connection will be able upload data from your console to the cloud, have the cloud process that data and then download the cloud processed data
to your console again and be integrated into the data the game engine is already processing smoothly and quickly enough to affect graphics/gameplay ? Not gonna happen.
The cpus/gpus/ram that are in these systems for the exact purposes of processing the data the game engines use have trouble in some instances shuffling all this data amongst themselves and processing it fast enough to run these games at a smooth frame rate with good graphics.
And when cloud processing enabled games are released - if any are - play them with your Xbox One online and then with it offline.
Then ask yourself why the resolution and framerate didnt drop when you played offline. Why the game looked exactly the same offline as online.
Better yet ask MS.
post #99 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin View Post

Thats awesome you can read spec sheets. One day you'll realize that not because something is better "on paper" doesn't make it better in the real world. Same could be said for everything in life for example the whole Android vs iPhone debate different people have different needs android isn't polished at all imo I personally regret buying a Galaxy S4 hoping the grass would be greener since the spec sheet would lead you to believe so but the iPhone is hands down a far more polished device/experience. XBOX for me has better game exclusives and better relationships with game makers who's games I actually buy. XBOX live is drastically better then PSN at least it was one when I had both last gen systems I don't know if they've improved ever since PSN was shut down after being hacked for weeks/months. I'll wait for a year or so when the real next gen games are released and say how much better the "PS4" is supposed to be 50% better ya ok good luck with that. Having more lines of resolution doesn't even equal better graphics either btw. A crappy tv that claims 1080p native pixel with a crappy scaler will like trash compared to a 720p or 1080i with a really good video scaler. You don't have to agree but it is what it is.

Did you even read the last paragraph I posted about running the gpus from the xbox and ps4 in the same pc ? The ps4 is gpu is from the same line of gpus as the xbox one - its simply a higher specd version of the same gpu. No special coding, no effort is required to get better results from it. The same code runs on both.
One day you will realise that talking to people who bother to do research and actually understand what they are talking about like children just because you dont want to put the effort into understanding what they are saying makes you look like ignorant and condescending. You have absolutely no cause to have the attitude you have with people in this thread just because you are convinced you think you know better than they do.
If you did you would have researched the s4 and would have known that it wouldnt have been a good fit for you.
Regarding the bolded, all ps4 games to this point except for Battlefield 4 are rendered at 1080p. So if your tv is native 1080p guess what - that scaler doesnt even come into play! Now considering that most tvs sold today are 1080p that puts the ps4 in pretty good shape doesnt it.
Now as for the Xbox One guess what - its scaler time if your display is 1080p! Unless you want to "upgrade" to a 720p tv just for your Xbox.
As your for comment about resolution not mattering, please go to a pc gaming forum and make that claim. You will be laughed off the forum so fast you will pass out from your head spinning.
And check out the Digital Foundry comparison of COD:Ghosts PS4 vs Xbox One - hint - their recommendation wasnt the Xbox One version - and resolution was the reason.
post #100 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Did you even read the last paragraph I posted about running the gpus from the xbox and ps4 in the same pc ? The ps4 is gpu is from the same line of gpus as the xbox one - its simply a higher specd version of the same gpu. No special coding, no effort is required to get better results from it. The same code runs on both.
One day you will realise that talking to people who bother to do research and actually understand what they are talking about like children just because you dont want to put the effort into understanding what they are saying makes you look like ignorant and condescending. You have absolutely no cause to have the attitude you have with people in this thread just because you are convinced you think you know better than they do.
If you did you would have researched the s4 and would have known that it wouldnt have been a good fit for you.
Regarding the bolded, all ps4 games to this point except for Battlefield 4 are rendered at 1080p. So if your tv is native 1080p guess what - that scaler doesnt even come into play! Now considering that most tvs sold today are 1080p that puts the ps4 in pretty good shape doesnt it.
Now as for the Xbox One guess what - its scaler time if your display is 1080p! Unless you want to "upgrade" to a 720p tv just for your Xbox.
As your for comment about resolution not mattering, please go to a pc gaming forum and make that claim. You will be laughed off the forum so fast you will pass out from your head spinning.
And check out the Digital Foundry comparison of COD:Ghosts PS4 vs Xbox One - hint - their recommendation wasnt the Xbox One version - and resolution was the reason.

You obviously care too much its really not that serious. Don't blow an O-ring over a console game you can still buy your PS4 and I can still have my XBOX One maybe both and go on with life :roll eyes: And I still say higher resolution isn't everything. Doesn't BF4 at 720P on XBOX look better then COD: Ghost on PS4 1080p Native? Yep thought so.
post #101 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

PS3 was hampered with a poor GPU, and a convoluted CPU architecture, and yet they still had the better looking, more technically adept games. I don't think anyone can argue that.
Ill argue that. The PS3 has such poor anti-aliasing, even if some games can for some reason ce considered graphically superior, they still look worse. Except for exclusive PS3 titles like Uncharted, Ive always chosen the XBOX version for that reason. On a 100" screen, im inclined to say the PS3 looks like ****.

Even so, for the same reasons alot of other people mention here, Ill go from owning both consoles (and really only liking the xbox), to buying the PS4
post #102 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Obviously, there cannot be a serious discussion involving both consoles without personal attacks and bickering.

Infractions issued for insulting forum members. One suspension for profanity (remember, this is an all-ages, races, religions board).

Now, if you're a former XBox 360 owner who went with a PS4, please feel free to post your reasons and experiences.

If you're here to claim the XBox One is the better console, you're in the wrong thread. It's trolling and you will be banned from the thread.

If you spot someone trolling and call them out rather than use the Report Post button, you will also be banned from the thread.

If you post off-topic conspiracy theories or spout sales figures, you will be banned from the thread.

NOW.. let's see if this thread can remain on-topic. If not, it's gone.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #103 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

When you see someone obviously trolling, stop talking to them, mark the posts and explain it in the mark. Their intention is only to derail the thread to the point it has to be closed. I've seen it happen a dozen times already.

If you see a blatant lie or false info, don't quote the offending post, but counter it with fact only. DO NOT GET PERSONAL, if you do then they have already won.
DrDon likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #104 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

They might look about the same Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
from 40 feet away

I guess based on those pics, If I strictly went by graphics, I would want to go back to PC gaming. But I dumped PC gaming in 2005 and have no desire to go back to it. But graphics alone don't make a system, which is why I have no desire to go back to PC gaming.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #105 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Most asinine comments in this thread ...

Ghosts @ 720 p looks better than BF4 @ 1080p on the 4....,

Lol
freemeat likes this.

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #106 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballis View Post

Ill argue that. The PS3 has such poor anti-aliasing, even if some games can for some reason ce considered graphically superior, they still look worse. Except for exclusive PS3 titles like Uncharted, Ive always chosen the XBOX version for that reason. On a 100" screen, im inclined to say the PS3 looks like ****.

Even so, for the same reasons alot of other people mention here, Ill go from owning both consoles (and really only liking the xbox), to buying the PS4

I agree - PS3 scaler was bad. Very obvious when you take a 2D game and compare them side by side. Personally, compared one of the BlazBlue games and also Persona 4 Arena, PS3 version looks blurry.
post #107 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Six posts within one hour of my warning all violated my instructions. Those members have been banned from the thread.

post #108 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 08:57 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Huh? How exactly did Microsoft have a chance to demolish Sony ? I mean if they couldnt demolish them in 2006 - the PS3 launched a year later than 360 at about $200 more than the 360. On top of that it was alot harder to develop for. In spite of all this it still overtook the 360 and sold more in the end.
MS never had a chance to demolish anything here - Sony has a very well designed system, as good a set of first party developers as anybody including Nintendo and they are doing excellent pr and they have the momentum from last generation. I give them full credit for learning from the mistakes made from the PS3 launch (there were alot of them) and becoming a much more humble company in the process.

Here's the thing - AFAIK Xbox 360 was the most profitable console.

My lazy copypaste since I am too lazy to rephrase the same thing:

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-360-wii-ps3-won-console-generation/
Quote:
Hard to find current articles as no one wants to be proclaimed the "loser" at the end of the gen; but historically Xbox360 dominated attach-rates. Information began to dry up as next-gen approached, but raw title sales numbers do fill in the picture.

Wii sold the most units but had the lowest attach rate and the lowest utilization rate, meaning lots of people bought it, became bored quickly, and stopped buying games / stopped playing.

PS3 fairs better, but having sold the bulk of it's inventory over the latter half of the cycle, and being dependent on (largely single player) 1st party titles, didn't have the revenue from consistent sales throughout to leverage their eventual sales lead over the 360. Last report, PS3 users spend more time watching Netflix than they do playing games, which is understandable considering two factors: their most popular titles are single player, one-time playthoughs, while their multiplayer network was underdeveloped and plagued with issues. Further, their sales succeses are concentrated in tertiary markets.

Xbox360 sold the fewest overall units, but had the most solid software attach throughout the lifecycle (record-setting in many periods) and the highest utilization; 360 owners bought more games and spent more time playing them than the other two. Kinect's expansion and the constant evolution of the UI entrenched the 360 as a living room centerpiece, while Xbox Live dominates multi-player due to it's being feature complete from day one.

Yes, it very much depends on how you look at it. Raw numbers saw Wii won, however the most gaming (and most gaming dollars spent) was done on Xbox360.

As to how they did they have a chance to demolish Sony? Simple - by releasing a more powerful console. If the XB1 had the hardware edge that PS4 has now, it would have been game over for Sony, at least in the US market. Wii U is not a serious competitor at this point. All IMHO, of course.
When X360 was released, it was a different market altogether, Sony with PS2 was the undisputed king of console market, now at the end of their cycles, MS took 1/3 the market away from Sony (Wii took the other 1/3) and made more money in the process.
Quote:
At the same time I cant believe MS has seemingly learned nothing from a great product in the 360. MS is seemingly doing all the same things wrong now that Sony did in 2006-2007.

This is what makes things so disappointing.
post #109 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I have both.

Bottom line: if a game is 1080p on the PS4, and 720 on the xbone - I buy the PS4 version

Just me I guess. I but I can see the difference immediately,
post #110 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Well if you plan on playing Battlefield 4, here is a good comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-face-off

Some of the quotes:
Quote:
the added pixel definition on PS4 spares it from the distracting edge-crawl on thin objects that proves to be an issue on the Microsoft side.

"Revisiting the single-player campaign across a wider range of levels reveals that the gap between Xbox One and PS4 has widened since our preview - and it's not good news for the Microsoft platform."

Hard evidence of the PS4's frame-rate lead for the retail release of Battlefield 4 - even with its 50 per cent increase in resolution it can typically command a 10fps+ advantage during our stress-tests.
post #111 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:

The reason these systems are designed to process data as fast as they are is because they have to process data that fast in order to run the games they do.
Do you really think your internet connection will be able upload data from your console to the cloud, have the cloud process that data and then download the cloud processed data
to your console again and be integrated into the data the game engine is already processing smoothly and quickly enough to affect graphics/gameplay ? Not gonna happen.
The cpus/gpus/ram that are in these systems for the exact purposes of processing the data the game engines use have trouble in some instances shuffling all this data amongst themselves and processing it fast enough to run these games at a smooth frame rate with good graphics.
And when cloud processing enabled games are released - if any are - play them with your Xbox One online and then with it offline.
Then ask yourself why the resolution and framerate didnt drop when you played offline. Why the game looked exactly the same offline as online.
Better yet ask MS.

i mean, technology has been improving and evolving at a rapid pace lately, so i do think it's impossible, just because i don't understand doesn't mean it can't be done.
post #112 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i mean, technology has been improving and evolving at a rapid pace lately, so i do think it's impossible, just because i don't understand doesn't mean it can't be done.

Technology has never stopped moving at a rapid pace, but the internet infrastructure has. Even still, physics prevent cloud computing from doing anything fancy. Games process info in microseconds, internet latency is the reason the Cloud won't be able to do anything for graphics on a large scale. Even one frame of network lag could break the game.

A Microsoft insider once said that the Cloud was nothing more than a fancy word for always online DRM. Take Sim City for example, a game that required the Cloud to function. Modders found out that the Cloud did all of nothing for the single player and patched it out.

Gaikai and similar services will be the main use for cloud computing, and all it is doing is sending your inputs to a server, rendering the game there and sending the video feed back.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #113 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Liked: 13
I'm fortunate in that I didnt have to choose one platform, I picked up both at launch. If I HAD to go with one and only one, I think i'd have picked up the X1. Sony's "we're all about gaming" strategy is great, but in so doing, have failed to raise the bar other than provide a more powerful version of the PS3 (although I think the new dualshock is far superior to the DS3, so AMEN for that).

I'm far more excited to see what M$ has in store for Kinect 2.0 as well as the feature-set for X1 going forward.
XBRSteve and MassConfusion like this.
post #114 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Well if you plan on playing Battlefield 4, here is a good comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-face-off

Some of the quotes:

Honestly I don't see a large gap between the two platforms looking at this video. The PS4 does look better but its by the smallest margin IMO. Framerate well that's another story.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #115 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Honestly I don't see a large gap between the two platforms looking at this video. The PS4 does look better but its by the smallest margin IMO. Framerate well that's another story.

Rule of thumb, never use Youtube to compare resolution or image quality. Heavily compressed is an understatement.

That videos main purpose was to show that their complaints about the Xbox One version were largely fixed. (Black Crush, Sharpening filter, missing effects) Their framerate analysis videos are also useful since they display it on screen.

Framerate analysis of the BF4 single player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4gaVvHXNC8
DaverJ likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #116 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

When it comes to games, how exactly does the X1 raise the bar? I don't care about TV features, or snapping stuff or skyping or all those other non gaming features that X1 fans claim raises the bar... Raises it to what, no one knows. The PS4 has raised the gaming bar higher then the X1 which is all that matters IMO. All the fancy I can game and watch Netflix at the same time features don't appeal to me at all.

well, please describe how the ps4 raised the gaming bar?? especially when at the moment they have no games to jump up about.? all they have over ps3 is better graphics,

at this point i think it depends on how the developers use the 2nd screen experiences to raise a bar of gaming (the division seems to be the best to look forward to).

microsoft didn't raise the bar of gaming, but they are trying to raise the bar of what a gaming system can do. the games are always gonna be there on both system, they haven't lost focus on games, no one needs to be reminded that the gaming systems needs to have games.
post #117 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

As to how they did they have a chance to demolish Sony? Simple - by releasing a more powerful console. If the XB1 had the hardware edge that PS4 has now, it would have been game over for Sony, at least in the US market.

If the XB1 was the more powerful machine, I wouldn't have considered the PS4 at all. I really like the 360 and the PS3 never really interested me enough to buy one. I never even paid attention to the PS4 until the specs of the XB1 came out. I wasn't looking to jump over to Sony but even if I eventually get a XB1 down the road, the PS4 will be my main gaming machine for this generation.
post #118 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I don't want to get banned haha so all I"m going to say is I still have my 360, but I am VERY happy with my PS4 and at this stage have zero interest in the X1. For me it's the whole Kinect and all the ads etc with Microsoft. I really do believe that Sony is concentrating on gamers this gen and I'm a gamer. I have a separate HTPC so I just don't need that in a console. To me consoles are more locked down which is good for gaming IMHO but bad for media playback. With a PC I can play any format I don't have to have my media files in some particular format etc. With gaming I think the standardization you get with consoles makes sense. Less cheating and less needing of never-ending PC hardware upgrades to always have the best graphics.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #119 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

well, please describe how the ps4 raised the gaming bar?? especially when at the moment they have no games to jump up about.? all they have over ps3 is better graphics,

at this point i think it depends on how the developers use the 2nd screen experiences to raise a bar of gaming (the division seems to be the best to look forward to).

microsoft didn't raise the bar of gaming, but they are trying to raise the bar of what a gaming system can do. the games are always gonna be there on both system, they haven't lost focus on games, no one needs to be reminded that the gaming systems needs to have games.

Well the critics don't agree and I"m sure you won't either but I've really been enjoying Killzone, even a bit more than BF4 suprisingly. I'm looking forward to new Uncharted and other Sony exclusives next year too. I'll play Titanfall on my 360. To me Titanfall doesn't sell the X1 (I know you weren't claiming that, but I'm just saying so about Titanfall because I know a lot of people will try to say Titanfall is the blockbuster game for X1).

edit: sorry to double post

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #120 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Two more banned for failing to heed my instructions. One more and the thread goes away.

Note the topic. Stay on it. Use the words "troll" or "fanboy" and it's over.

Closed Thread PlayStation Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Xbox One Games , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox 360 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page