Playstation 3D monitor randomy cutting out the picture when not playing Blu-ray movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is referring to the Playstation "branded" 3D 24" monitor. I use the monitor to play PS3 and X360. On PS3, when playing games or anything, the screen will randomly cut out for a second like it's checking if the video source has HDCP. Playing official Blu-ray movies don't do that. If I switch the monitor video input to X360, it also doesn't cut the video signal off (but not 100% positive on X360 because I don't play on my X360 that often).

It really becomes a pain when I'm in the middle of playing games on PS3 if the screen of cut out for a second randomly.

I also another same PS3 monitor which behaves the same way. On the 2nd monitor, I also have a newer laptop that connects to one of the HDMI port. I tried using different type of HDMI cable including the "Sony" brand HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

Anyone knows if there's a fix or workaround to prevent the 3D monitor from needing to check the HDCP every so often? Or it's just one of those poor logic in the monitor that assumes you must have HDCP source no matter what you are playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know of a workaround of that issue but I have never had a problem like what you described on my PS3 monitor with either my PS3 or my laptop. Is it all games that cut off for a second or is only some games. Also did you try hooking up your PS3 to another TV to see if it does this and at what other times does it cut off (i.e PS3 home screen , PS store, Netflix). If it doesn't happen when you use your Xbox 360 or laptop try using that same HDMI cable and plug it into the same port as the Xbox 360 or the laptop, to see if it makes a difference.

post #3 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam45 View Post

I don't know of a workaround of that issue but I have never had a problem like what you described on my PS3 monitor with either my PS3 or my laptop. Is it all games that cut off for a second or is only some games. Also did you try hooking up your PS3 to another TV to see if it does this and at what other times does it cut off (i.e PS3 home screen , PS store, Netflix). If it doesn't happen when you use your Xbox 360 or laptop try using that same HDMI cable and plug it into the same port as the Xbox 360 or the laptop, to see if it makes a difference.

My PS3 used to connect to other HDTV ie. Samsung through the HDMI cable and never have the random screen cut out. It does it on any games I play. As I was saying only the PS3 3D Monitor would randomly cut out the video signal for a second every so often. Sometimes the screen cut out occurs more often than other time. Also, like the monitor could randomly check the video input if it has HDCP or whatever it's checking for.

I don't suppose you have the PS3 3D Monitor or know anyone that has one?
post #4 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM

I do happen to have one and it is in fact the only monitor I have in my room. Like i said in my post before I have never experienced the problem that you are having with both my ps3 and my laptop hooked up to the monitor. One solutions that might work is try switching the ps3 to the other HDMI port on the monitor. Also does your ps3 have the most recent firmware and did you use the ps3 to automatically find all of the resolutions that are compatible with the monitor ?

post #5 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do happen to have one and it is in fact the only monitor I have in my room. Like i said in my post before I have never experienced the problem that you are having with both my ps3 and my laptop hooked up to the monitor. One solutions that might work is try switching the ps3 to the other HDMI port on the monitor. Also does your ps3 have the most recent firmware and did you use the ps3 to automatically find all of the resolutions that are compatible with the monitor ?

My slim PS3 is running on the latest firmware that Sony forces us to use. Yes, my PS3 even asks for the monitor physical size which means it knows what monitor is running on.

Maybe the PS3 3D monitor has different firmware. Not sure what firmware my 3D monitor has but both came from Best Buy. I bought one directly from the local store and other one from Best Buy mail order. I would think both monitors came from different warehouse.

Another question. The PS3 3D Monitor power on/off has ability to self detect when PS3 console comes on. It used to randomly know when to turn on when I turn my PS3 console on. Not anymore. And yes, there is a setting on the 3D monitor and PS3 to self detect each other and both are set to "on". So you have this odd problem?
post #6 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Strange, I also have quick start enabled on my monitor but mine automatically turns on when my PS3 does. I would try resting the monitor to its default settings via the settings tab on the monitor and see if it does any thing. As far as I know the monitor has no firmware updates available. Another possibility that I have read is that the HDMI cable could be loose, if you see the flickering again I would try gently wiggling the HDMI cable on both the PS3 and the display and see if maybe its a loose connection.

post #7 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's a well known problem with the monitor. Unless it's still under warranty and you can get a replacement, I don't know of any other solution.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Strange, I also have quick start enabled on my monitor but mine automatically turns on when my PS3 does. I would try resting the monitor to its default settings via the settings tab on the monitor and see if it does any thing. As far as I know the monitor has no firmware updates available. Another possibility that I have read is that the HDMI cable could be loose, if you see the flickering again I would try gently wiggling the HDMI cable on both the PS3 and the display and see if maybe its a loose connection.

Both of my monitor "Quick Start" was off. I just turned them to on. I'll let you know if that changes anything.

As for HDMI cable, they are as tight as they can. I have tried "PS3" cable that came with the monitor and two different types of other HDMI cable from the older fat style to newer skinny style. Also, very short and long HDMI cables. Only one thing to do is slightly bend the HDMI cable towards the left side since my consoles/laptops are all on the left side of the monitor.

That random second cutting out has been like that since I bought both monitors back in late last year.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

It's a well known problem with the monitor. Unless it's still under warranty and you can get a replacement, I don't know of any other solution.

This is not good news, as I have one that I bought last Xmas and have yet to use. Was the problem limited to certain time period, or will ALL of them eventually develop the problem?

bg
post #10 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know the percentages but it is pretty widespread.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think turning "Quick Start" to on appears to have solve the random screen turn off for a second issue. I tried on my the monitor used on my laptop and other monitor on my PS3 console. I still need to play more games because once the game appeared to have gone to black screen for half a second but I'm not sure if it's the game. This game has a bug that jumped certain scene for a moment. So I need to play more to be sure.

Also by turning "Quick Start" on the monitor to on, it solved the monitor not powering on by itself whenever there is a video signal. It will now auto turn on when detected my laptop video signal and my PS3. But it keeps the monitor semi in standby state.

I wonder "Quick Start" issue is a bug in the monitor.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a different question since you are the only person I know that has the PS3 3D monitor.

Do you have Blu-ray drive on your PC? I have it on my laptop. On PowerDVD player that is compatible with Blu-ray movies, it has a setting to turn on to play 3D movies. The the setting is too stupid because the laptop monitor also got "set" to 3D movie mode. Doesn't matter if I set the PS3 3D monitor to be the primary display or disable the laptop LCD, trying to play 3D Blu-ray movies will allow the PowerDVD player to play in 3D mode. It can't detect if the 3D monitor as native 3D capable.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Sony never bothered to create fully functioning drivers for the 3D monitor for some unknown reason and if you have an ATI graphics card you may really be out of luck. I then paired the monitor with a computer with a Nvidia card, the it recognized the 3d function of the monitor.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sony never bothered to create fully functioning drivers for the 3D monitor for some unknown reason and if you have an ATI graphics card you may really be out of luck. I then paired the monitor with a computer with a Nvidia card, the it recognized the 3d function of the monitor.

I don't suppose you have any 3D Blu-ray movie to test play the movie with your Nvidia video card?

All my newer laptops are AMD based which have integrated video.

I know this is way off topic from my original question but I thought to ask it anyway.

If you have Blu-ray drive on your PC, I have a question if you have a way to get Blu-ray encryption "driver" into your Windows 7 or 8. My understand of Blu-ray movie encryption is part of the encryption is stored in Windows. But Windows by default is not shipped with Blu-ray encryption code unless the PC has the Blu-ray drive built-in where the Blu-ray encryption code is put into factory installed Windows. On my laptop that has built-in Blu-ray drive, I cannot use "retail" Windows that I installed separately because it doesn't have the Blu-ray encryption code which means official Blu-ray movies will not play even I have the Blu-ray software player. So, if you have Blu-ray drive in your PC that you installed yourself, do you know a way to get the Blu-ray encryption into your Windows? I haven't found any answer for this question at other foums because everyone that put their own Blu-ray drive into their PC had to hack the Blu-ray encryption and copy the huge movie files to the hard drive just to watch the movies. To me, that is just impractical having to hack every Blu-ray movie just to watch it.

Either way, thanks for your help because I didn't know the "Quick Start" option on the monitor was the screen random turning off issue.

Note: Even the PS3 3D monitor has set "Quick Start" to on, turning on X360 on another HDMI port will not bv self detect unless the HDMI on the monitor HDMI port has already been set to the X360. Only then "Quick Start" that has been set to on will detect X360 video port. I have seen the monitor self changing the HDMI port to the other HDMI port is both HDMI ports already have PS3 and X360 consoles on. The monitor will self change to X360 console when I turned the PS3 console off. Another indication that Sony only half baked the PS3 3D monitor design.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

This is not good news, as I have one that I bought last Xmas and have yet to use. Was the problem limited to certain time period, or will ALL of them eventually develop the problem?

I have had mine for over a year and its never had this problem, but I do know that many people have had problems with theirs so i guess its just the one you get. Also the monitor shouldn't do this eventually and most of the problems i have heard about the display had to do with them not turning on after a month or so, I never read any where about this issue happening ( if you Google ps3 screen flickering you'll find many people who have had a similar problem with their ps3 however)

post #16 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

I don't suppose you have any 3D Blu-ray movie to test play the movie with your Nvidia video card?

All my newer laptops are AMD based which have integrated video.

I know this is way off topic from my original question but I thought to ask it anyway.

If you have Blu-ray drive on your PC, I have a question if you have a way to get Blu-ray encryption "driver" into your Windows 7 or 8. My understand of Blu-ray movie encryption is part of the encryption is stored in Windows. But Windows by default is not shipped with Blu-ray encryption code unless the PC has the Blu-ray drive built-in where the Blu-ray encryption code is put into factory installed Windows. On my laptop that has built-in Blu-ray drive, I cannot use "retail" Windows that I installed separately because it doesn't have the Blu-ray encryption code which means official Blu-ray movies will not play even I have the Blu-ray software player. So, if you have Blu-ray drive in your PC that you installed yourself, do you know a way to get the Blu-ray encryption into your Windows? I haven't found any answer for this question at other foums because everyone that put their own Blu-ray drive into their PC had to hack the Blu-ray encryption and copy the huge movie files to the hard drive just to watch the movies. To me, that is just impractical having to hack every Blu-ray movie just to watch it.

Either way, thanks for your help because I didn't know the "Quick Start" option on the monitor was the screen random turning off issue.

Note: Even the PS3 3D monitor has set "Quick Start" to on, turning on X360 on another HDMI port will not bv self detect unless the HDMI on the monitor HDMI port has already been set to the X360. Only then "Quick Start" that has been set to on will detect X360 video port. I have seen the monitor self changing the HDMI port to the other HDMI port is both HDMI ports already have PS3 and X360 consoles on. The monitor will self change to X360 console when I turned the PS3 console off. Another indication that Sony only half baked the PS3 3D monitor design.

It's a Windows 8 Alienware that came with the Blu-ray installed so I can play blu-rays with no problem.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a Windows 8 Alienware that came with the Blu-ray installed so I can play blu-rays with no problem.

You mean your Alienware PC connected to PS3 3D monitor and play 3D Blu-ray movies displayed on the PS3 3D monitor? My laptop with built-in Blu-ray drive is HP G7 series.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, I tried a regular blu-ray. When I put in my Avatar 3D disk, it said I needed to upgrade to PowerDVD 12 (or 13 per the website) to watch in 3D. I'll have to update you later.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

It works. I downloaded the Powerdvd upgrade, played the disk and it told me to turn on the glasses.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It works. I downloaded the Powerdvd upgrade, played the disk and it told me to turn on the glasses.

Thanks for checking. I guess HP sucks. Sometimes I wonder if they even done much testing on store specific models that are made for one time shipment. Just assembling all the parts together and calling it good isn't enough because Blu-ray touchy encryption may not detect all the requirements properly.

Anyone knows a site with on going thread on Blu-ray encryption issues on PC Windows. I have other specific questions that I wanted to ask for a long time but I can't find a thread dedicated for discussing it.
post #21 of 21 Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having similar problems with my Wii U plugged in the HDMI Port. I have a PS3, 360 and Wii U. The problem only seems to be happening with the Wii U. I tried 2 different ways. One is plugging my 360 and PS3 in aHDMI Manual switcher and the Wii U in the other port, and the other is placing all 3 in the HDMI switcher. When I just had a PS3 and 360 in a PS3DTV port each or one HDMI Manual switcher port each, it worked fine. All Ways the Ps3 and 360 work fine, When the Wii U was in its own port, the screen dropped black in critical moments. When i plugged the Wii U in the HDMI Manual switcher, it only goes off within the first minute. Sometimes it's video and sound, (even though the gamepad is running with full sound and picture) When the Turtle Beach headset is acutally used, sometimes the sound turns off the headphone and TV, but not the gamepad, and for more than one time per gameplay. It happened less when I unplugged a DVD-recorder and had it plugged in through component instead of HDMI.

Just wondering if anyone experienced it with the Wii U?mad.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page