Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Linky to Sony's mega PS4 FAQ.

Specific details about using some of the PS4's sharing features.

NCfTxnz.jpg

Oolna1Z.jpg

1q3TMrF.jpg

o4s90rZ.jpg

J0qpfhH.jpg

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hmmm.. so it sounds like I'll need to set the kid's PS4 with me on it as primary, but play as myself on the other PS4 that is not designated as primary. Then we should all have access. Sound right?
post #3 of 50 Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yep. Do it that way to buy one copy of any digital game and both of you can play it simultaneously on your separate PS4s under your own accounts. This only works with up to two PS4s total and no more. You being signed up for PS+ allows this to happen.

There are catches to that though... you as the primary account owner playing on the single allowed non-primary PS4 must be online to play games from your account it seems. Also, remote Vita play over the 'net is definitely out, but it is unclear if local Vita remote play is possible away from your primary PS4.

Also, we don't know how often you can switch the designation of which PS4 is your primary. Unlimited? Once a day, week, month or year? For instance, you can currently deactivate all your game machines from Sony's site only once a year. We'll have to wait and see about PS4 primary designation most likely.

One thing is clear - the old game sharing method is dead. No more Lakers Championship game giveaways! frown.gif

post #4 of 50 Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
You can't deactivate your primary console from Sony's site, I tried just the other day. I used to own a PS3 about 4 years ago but I don't have it anymore. It was still active as my primary under my account and I tried to deactivate it on the website, it said that it must be done from the console itself. Can't do that since I don't have it anymore. I hope it dosent cause a problem when trying to set the PS4 as my primary.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #5 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
And what happens if your primary dies? Seems like there has to be an alternate method. Anyone know?
post #6 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

You can't deactivate your primary console from Sony's site, I tried just the other day. I used to own a PS3 about 4 years ago but I don't have it anymore. It was still active as my primary under my account and I tried to deactivate it on the website, it said that it must be done from the console itself. Can't do that since I don't have it anymore. I hope it dosent cause a problem when trying to set the PS4 as my primary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSapper View Post

And what happens if your primary dies? Seems like there has to be an alternate method. Anyone know?

I believe you can call 1-800-345-SONY and have support deactivate a system for you. If you know the email you assigned to your PSN account then they should be able to take care of it. Same thing they do it if it's stolen or lost.

Since PS3 and PS4 are different platforms they should allow 2 activations per platform, even under one account. If it's 2 activations total there's no way that Sony would be able to support someone owning a PS3, Vita, and PS4, which would be my goal if I was selling them.
HDSapper likes this.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #7 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There is another option to deactivate that I referenced above. You can deactivate all of your PlayStation Devices from your PC, but it can only be done once every six months.

- Log into your SEN account on a PC (which is what your PSN account resides under).
- Go to Manage Account, then hit the Account tab
- Select Media & Devices
- You can then deactivate all of your Sony devices for either movies, music or games

After you deactivate them all, you can simply reactivate all the machines you want manually within each device's system menu (PSP, Vita, PS3, etc.).
HDSapper likes this.

post #8 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thank you both!
post #9 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

One thing is clear - the old game sharing method is dead.

Here's the thing though... Let's say you had a really good friend who was also getting a PS4 on launch day, and you wanted to share your game libraries with each other. Basically, the way that you would have to do it, is that your primary PS4 would actually be the one located at your buddies house, and the secondary PS4 would be the one you would have (and his primary PS4, is the one you have). One guy buys Knack, the other guy buys Killzone, and both buds play both games from the comfort of their own home... right ? The only problem with this scenario, is the fact that you have to make damn shure that the guy you are partnering up with is going to stick to the program for the long haul. There has to be a good amount of trust between the two parties.

Obviously, what I'm talking about, I'm sure is against the TOS, but for peeps that want to share digitally, if they are comfortable with the situation, I don't see why it wouldn't work...
post #10 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I don't know, that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to save some cash on a few games. Saving $30 a game might not be worth it if Sony decides to start hammering down on game sharing. Since it most certainly is a violation of the TOS, you'd likely be looking at a permanent ban. Again, that's if Sony ever decides to start cracking down on game sharing. Not saying they ever will, but I don't want my name in their system for something like that.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #11 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Here's the thing though... Let's say you had a really good friend who was also getting a PS4 on launch day, and you wanted to share your game libraries with each other. Basically, the way that you would have to do it, is that your primary PS4 would actually be the one located at your buddies house, and the secondary PS4 would be the one you would have (and his primary PS4, is the one you have). One guy buys Knack, the other guy buys Killzone, and both buds play both games from the comfort of their own home... right ? The only problem with this scenario, is the fact that you have to make damn shure that the guy you are partnering up with is going to stick to the program for the long haul. There has to be a good amount of trust between the two parties.

Obviously, what I'm talking about, I'm sure is against the TOS, but for peeps that want to share digitally, if they are comfortable with the situation, I don't see why it wouldn't work...
Yeah, I posted that above. The setup rewards households that buy two PS4s; no doubt they thought it through and are OK with it.

Remember. back in the day, Sony exec Jack Trentton was encouraging people to game share when it was a new concept on the PS3. So the new PS4 digital sharing plan will not be a violation of the TOS since the onus is on you to trust someone with your account info for an extended period of time.

In fact, it will be abused far less than game sharing was because of the new rules, and that was never removed (though it was reduced). Keep in mind that you have to be a PS+ member to do this on the PS4, unlike game sharing on the PS3. Sony is probably jazzed that you are subscribing to the service to care too much.

post #12 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I honestly don't think that if two people are sharing their libraries with each other it would be that big of deal. We are talking about two people. You could have a couple of brothers in the same house, each with their own PS4's, and why buy two copies of the same game ? This should be one of the ONLY advantages of going digital.

Think about it. If I buy a physical game for $60, I can play that game for a number of months, and sell it off to somebody for 30 bucks.

Under this scenario, you wouldn't ever be able to sell anything, but every game would only cost you 30 bucks. It's basically the same thing if you think about it.

If you were sharing with 20 other people, that would be one thing, but it's limited to only two PS4 systems. Think of it as a family share workaround.

I just need to find the right partner to hook up with. I have a really good buddy locally that this would work perfect with, but he's 100 percent in the Xbox camp, and has no interest in getting a PS4.
post #13 of 50 Old 10-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any word on Simul-view on the PS4? Supported? Looking at TV's and the two 55" Sony's have the best input lag of any tv available by far, and both support simul-view.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #14 of 50 Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Why would I have to have the PS4 at my buddy's house as the primary? That doesn't sound right to me.

I would designate MY PS4 as my primary. Give my buddy my login information, so he can download the games that I buy digitally. I would set up two or more account log-ins, so that when me and my buddy both want to play a game I bought online, my buddy logs in as ME, and I log in as an alternate account on my PS4.

That should work, right?

My PS4 will likely have three accounts. One for me, one for my wife and one for my kids.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #15 of 50 Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That method no longer works, unfortunately. If you play your purchased content on your primary PS4, you have full access to everything under your PSN ID. If you send your info to a buddy and allow them to log in as you on a different, secondary PS4, he can ONLY play your library using your PSN ID, not his own.

The key difference between the primary PS4 and the secondary one is that the primary machine can allow anyone who plays on it to use their own PSN ID and still enjoy all of the content and PS+ perks that you as the primary account holder has (up to four people can log on and play games simultaneously on your primary unit BTW). On your secondary PS4(s), only you can access that stuff.

So in summary, your friend must have access to your primary. Don't worry about him abusing up your credit card though; you should never have to have purchase info stored on his machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Any word on Simul-view on the PS4? Supported? Looking at TV's and the two 55" Sony's have the best input lag of any tv available by far, and both support simul-view.

No talk from Sony at all on that or the related 3D abilities of the PS4 Maybe waiting to reintroduce 3D with their rumored Occulus Rift-like unit?

post #16 of 50 Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Has a definitive list of streaming services for the ps4 been announced? I didn't see it in the FAQ or anywhere else. Any reason to think that the ones on ps3 won't be on ps4 or is it a safe bet that they'll all be there?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #17 of 50 Old 10-27-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Has a definitive list of streaming services for the ps4 been announced? I didn't see it in the FAQ or anywhere else. Any reason to think that the ones on ps3 won't be on ps4 or is it a safe bet that they'll all be there?

I think it's a safe bet they'll all eventually be there, but no announcements about what will be there day one.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18 of 50 Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I think it's a safe bet they'll all eventually be there, but no announcements about what will be there day one.

Right. Kind of strange there hasn't been an announcement yet, though maybe that'll be in another update. Day 2. smile.gif

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #19 of 50 Old 10-27-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't worry about him abusing up your credit card though; you should never have to have purchase info stored on his machine.

I would just fund my account with the PSN cards that you can buy at GameStop. I'll avoiding linking a credit card with either box as long as possible.
post #20 of 50 Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

That method no longer works, unfortunately. If you play your purchased content on your primary PS4, you have full access to everything under your PSN ID. If you send your info to a buddy and allow them to log in as you on a different, secondary PS4, he can ONLY play your library using your PSN ID, not his own.

The key difference between the primary PS4 and the secondary one is that the primary machine can allow anyone who plays on it to use their own PSN ID and still enjoy all of the content and PS+ perks that you as the primary account holder has (up to four people can log on and play games simultaneously on your primary unit BTW). On your secondary PS4(s), only you can access that stuff.

So in summary, your friend must have access to your primary. Don't worry about him abusing up your credit card though; you should never have to have purchase info stored on his machine.
No talk from Sony at all on that or the related 3D abilities of the PS4 Maybe waiting to reintroduce 3D with their rumored Occulus Rift-like unit?

I wouldn't care that my buddy would have to log on as me. The point being that we want to play together, it's totally ok if he logs on as me, and I log into one of the alternate ID's on my PS4 at home. So in the case of me not giving a rat's ass if I'm logged in as myself or not, doesn't my suggestion work just fine?

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #21 of 50 Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

I wouldn't care that my buddy would have to log on as me. The point being that we want to play together, it's totally ok if he logs on as me, and I log into one of the alternate ID's on my PS4 at home. So in the case of me not giving a rat's ass if I'm logged in as myself or not, doesn't my suggestion work just fine?

If you're really good buddies, just give him your log in and coordinate all your digital purchases under your ID, but his console.

In that setup his console is set to primary, so you can share all the games bought under your ID on that primary machine (even a plus subscription now). You then would log in on your home console (considered the remote console) normally and still have access but only for your ID, while he has access on the primary console under his own ID or any others on that system.

Further, digital purchases can then be played by both of you at the same time, under your own ID's.

Would work if what they've told us is true and accurate. But you'd have to be doing it with someone you really trust. Although I suppose the master ID always can deactivate and reactivate which console is primary, so if he's giving you money to help buy digital licenses in that case, there's more risk for him (but he does have your log-in info)
post #22 of 50 Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Even on the PS3, there are two identifiers - one identifier for the primary account holder (the one that buys the digital content), and a profile(s) for any gamer in the house that uses the content. On the PS3, once an account holder brings in content to play, any profile can access it. The same is true for the PS4.

So with game sharing on the PS4 with your buddy, he uses your account status to make his PS4 your primary machine so that he is able to use his own, separate profile to access your account's content. He is not affecting your cloud saves, trophies, online persona, etc. That all ties into his own profile. He is even unable to buy stuff under your account if you leave the credit card page blank, and likely has to give your password (if you have this optioned turned on like the PS3) to use any funds you haven't spent.

On your PS4 that you must tag as your secondary, you log in as a secondary to play as yourself. You can still buy and use anything you want as yourself. The main restrictions on the secondary machine is that you have to be online so the PSN knows you are you on a secondary machine. Also, Vita remote play is restricted in some unknown way. That's it as far as we know. You and your buddy should have no issues with this setup.

post #23 of 50 Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I don't know why it bugs me so much that people are figuring out ways to rip off Sony. Why should I care? But for some reason, I want to yell at people that sharing is for the same household/family.
post #24 of 50 Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

I don't know why it bugs me so much that people are figuring out ways to rip off Sony. Why should I care? But for some reason, I want to yell at people that sharing is for the same household/family.

Do you have a copy of the terms and conditions that state that the sharing is only available to a single household/family?

I am will to bet when the T's and C's are released (and we are forced to accept them) it will be wording that outlines how to do it and what is acceptable and the words "household" or "family" or equivalent will not be present.

As stated before when you were able to share with up to 5 consoles Jack Tretton was encouraging people to take advantage of it.
Quote:
SCEA’s President Jack Tretton even condones game sharing:
“You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment,” said Tretton. “We want to get the game in as many hands as possible.”
“It’s not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer,” he said. “I think that really offsets the argument that says, ‘Wow, that’s a really pricey system.’”

So yeah I am not sure why it bugs you either tongue.gif
post #25 of 50 Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM

I think everything is good as long as you don't share your log in information. I believe that is against the TOS, although I haven't bothered reading through it lately.

So sharing this way would be kosher as long as its done locally and in person. Morally, some might have some qualms.
post #26 of 50 Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nah, Jack Tretton said awhile back that they really encourage the sharing program between gamers. He said after your initial investment to give it to your buddies in order to get the games in as many hands as possible.

post #27 of 50 Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM

I'm sure publishers agreed wholeheartedly

smile.gif
post #28 of 50 Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Won't playback CD Audio, no media extender functionality, no external HDD functionality. Unclear statements regarding upgrading of internal HDD to SATA III spec.

mad.gif

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #29 of 50 Old 10-30-2013, 01:30 PM

Seemed pretty clear to me, it's SATA 2.

My question is how the cache system actually works, because if it's writing and re-writing every single time you put a disc in, disc based games might do damage to SSD/Hybrid drives.
post #30 of 50 Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yikes! I better hold off on installing my hybrid drive till this is cleared up.

bg
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page