never used old PS3 for games for 6 years, got $192 trade-in on Amazon, should I get the $199 12GB PS3 or wait for $399 PS4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current old PS3 was purchased 6 years ago.(or whenever PS3 was launched, since I purchased it on the morning of the launch day)

During the past 6 year, it has never been used to play video games. In fact, I don't own any PS3 games(physical disc or online).

My PS3 has always been used to play Blu-ray and DVD discs, as well as video files on the external 2TB hard drive. I store all of the *.MTS files from my HD camcorder.

Sometimes I do use the PS3 to watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and MLB. That's about it.

I recently traded it in at Amazon.com and received $192 in Amazon gift card balance. I figured $192 was a lot for a 6-year-old PS3 in working condition.
The current 12GB PS3 is only $199, so I figure I can just use the $192 to buy it. Again, since I never use it for games, 12GB is not a deal-breaker.
I can connect any number/size of external hard drives to it.

I'm about to place an order for for the $199 12GB PS3. All I need to pay is the $7 difference, after the $192 Amazon gift card balance.

However, I'm having 2nd thoughts.... should I wait a few weeks and get the PS4 for $399? Will it make any difference for my intended uses?(as described above)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmouse View Post

My current old PS3 was purchased 6 years ago.(or whenever PS3 was launched, since I purchased it on the morning of the launch day)

During the past 6 year, it has never been used to play video games. In fact, I don't own any PS3 games(physical disc or online).

My PS3 has always been used to play Blu-ray and DVD discs, as well as video files on the external 2TB hard drive. I store all of the *.MTS files from my HD camcorder.

Sometimes I do use the PS3 to watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and MLB. That's about it.

I recently traded it in at Amazon.com and received $192 in Amazon gift card balance. I figured $192 was a lot for a 6-year-old PS3 in working condition.
The current 12GB PS3 is only $199, so I figure I can just use the $192 to buy it. Again, since I never use it for games, 12GB is not a deal-breaker.

I'm about to place an order for for the $199 12GB PS3. All I need to pay is the $7 difference, after the $192 Amazon gift card balance.

However, I'm having 2nd thoughts.... should I wait a few weeks and get the PS4 for $399? Will it make any difference for my intended uses?(as described above)

Thanks!

Are you ever goiing to play games on it? If not, why not just buy a Smart Standalone Blu Ray Player (that has Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and MLB apps and more) for less money?
post #3 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Those Phats have Space Shuttle loud fans.
If you are into Audio-Video, I'd get a quiet dedicated bluray player.

Maybe splurge on an Oppo since $192 was a crazy amount of credit.
post #4 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks!

QuietMouse,

Seems like to me you are probably just better served buying a Blu-Ray player from Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/etc...

Whose ever APPS you like the best. They all have the ones you are currently using. The Sony Blu-Ray might be the best way to go for you IMHO.

Sounds like you don't play ANY games, so what is the point of buying a PS3 12GB, or a PS4.

Personally, I would use that credit towards something else, and buy an OPEN BOX Blu-ray player at Best Buy, or the like.

As long as they have the original remote/cables(instructions can be found ONLINE so easily, they are not necessary IMHO), you can get a Sony S5100 Blu-Ray which has all the APPS you want(plus more), BUILT IN WIRELESS for like 60% it's original MSRP.

At least near me. Go to BB's website, and look up OB's units near your ZIP CODE. The ones listed as EXCELLENT, as far as condition is concerned, means they come with everything they are supposed to.

And "most"(not all) of these OPEN BOX units, are the ones they just STUCK ON THE SHELVES. Never been used at all. Just take them home, update the software/firmware, and then use.

Unless you want to PLAY GAMES, just get a Blu-Ray player.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

QuietMouse,

Seems like to me you are probably just better served buying a Blu-Ray player from Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/etc...

Whose ever APPS you like the best. They all have the ones you are currently using. The Sony Blu-Ray might be the best way to go for you IMHO.

Sounds like you don't play ANY games, so what is the point of buying a PS3 12GB, or a PS4.

Personally, I would use that credit towards something else, and buy an OPEN BOX Blu-ray player at Best Buy, or the like.

As long as they have the original remote/cables(instructions can be found ONLINE so easily, they are not necessary IMHO), you can get a Sony S5100 Blu-Ray which has all the APPS you want(plus more), BUILT IN WIRELESS for like 60% it's original MSRP.

At least near me. Go to BB's website, and look up OB's units near your ZIP CODE. The ones listed as EXCELLENT, as far as condition is concerned, means they come with everything they are supposed to.

And "most"(not all) of these OPEN BOX units, are the ones they just STUCK ON THE SHELVES. Never been used at all. Just take them home, update the software/firmware, and then use.

Unless you want to PLAY GAMES, just get a Blu-Ray player.

Thanks!

I took your advice and went to the local Walmart. Picked up the Sony S5100 for $110.
Then I drove to the Best Buy on the other side of the mall. Picked up the Samsung F5900 for $107.99.

Both had every app that I frequently use. All video formats (*.M2T, MKV, etc) and music formats played
just fine off my USB external hard drive.

I immediately noticed that both the Sony and the Samsung were EXTREMELY slow when compared
to the PS3. (original or super slim) Scanning through the videos were painfully slow. Viewing photos
was even worse and I could only describe it as bone-scrapping slow? I assume this is because the
PS3 has a faster multi-core CPU/GPU that can process the videos and photos faster.(even if it's a design
from 7 years ago)

Unfortunately, I'm returning both Blu-ray players first thing tomorrow.I'm using the $192 Amazon gift card
to order the 12GB PS3.

Now that I think about it, I'm suspicious as to why Amazon Trade-In offered me $192 for my 2008 Sony
PS3 80GB in "good" condition??? What am I missing here? A brand new 12GB PS3 is only $199.
Do they really think they can sell my 2008 PS3 for a profit? It's too late for me to get it back now... but
I'm just curious! biggrin.gif
post #6 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 340
PS 3 is one of THE better DVD /BD + streamer players out there much better than a lot of stand alone players. Netflix etc interface DVD up scaling and streaming on PS3 is better than most players or smart TV's so is DVD up scaling and BD playback not mention it uses a decently fast power PC processor as compared to what you get in a smart TV or stand alone player.

You can't touch it with a $200.00 player .I have a ~ 3 yr old slim quiet works good, Few players under $500.00 can match the PS3 for BD playback or streaming .

At $200.00 get a new PS 3 or 4 for your uses a 3 is fine other than
game eye candy and frame rates PS 4 probably wont playback DVD or stream noticeably better unless maybe you are streaming 3D even the 3 does that fine

. I'm keeping my 3 for awhile not enough games out for PS 4 yet You can build a nice HT setup around a PS3 a nas server and WMC DNLA .
try that with a ~$100.00 BD player NOT.

Some orig Phats are becoming collectible some one is probably loading up a container with phat's for spendy overseas collectors
and made an arrangement with Amazon .

OTOH the new 12GB lacking a HDD is not as useful as the Phat for local storage unless you hook up to LAN or external HDD .
They have a new Sony BD player and also a Panasonic ~$250.00 supposed to be pretty good I would still choose a PS 3 over them lots more processing and video power ability to add HDD + better connectivity.
get a ~ $20.00 PS3 media remote and you will have the regular type remote of a BD player

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #7 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:

Thanks!

I took your advice and went to the local Walmart. Picked up the Sony S5100 for $110.
Then I drove to the Best Buy on the other side of the mall. Picked up the Samsung F5900 for $107.99.

Both had every app that I frequently use. All video formats (*.M2T, MKV, etc) and music formats played

I immediately noticed that both the Sony and the Samsung were EXTREMELY slow when compared
to the PS3. (original or super slim) Scanning through the videos were painfully slow. Viewing photos
was even worse and I could only describe it as bone-scrapping slow? I assume this is because the
PS3 has a faster multi-core CPU/GPU that can process the videos and photos faster.(even if it's a design
from 7 years ago)

Unfortunately, I'm returning both Blu-ray players first thing tomorrow.I'm using the $192 Amazon gift card
to order the 12GB PS3.

Now that I think about it, I'm suspicious as to why Amazon Trade-In offered me $192 for my 2008 Sony
PS3 80GB in "good" condition??? What am I missing here? A brand new 12GB PS3 is only $199.
Do they really think they can sell my 2008 PS3 for a profit? It's too late for me to get it back now... but

I looked yesterday at some things, like a 4GB 360 with Kinect for trade in at Amazon. They offered me over $130 yesterday. I should have completed the trade in then. Today they are showing only around $70 for the same trade in.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #8 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Watching baseball games on the PS3 MLB ticket wasnt as nice as using the app built inside my panasonicTV.

The PS3 really needs more memory or better CPU or something...
post #9 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

from 7 years ago)

to order the 12GB PS3.

Quick question .... What was the reason for trading in the PS3 in the first place?

Loganed - A long time ago.
My DVD Collection
My Build Thread - "under construction"
PSN: AtsymSknyfs
post #10 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknyfs View Post

Quick question .... What was the reason for trading in the PS3 in the first place?

IIRC, I was browsing Amazon.com's Trade-In section. I noticed that my "vintage" PS3 80GB(with MortorStorm game bundle) had a trade in value of $192 in good condition.

Then I saw the $199 price tag for the current PS3 12GB console. Since the old and the new PS3s are nearly identical in performance, I figured, why not? (internal hard drive space is meaningless for my uses, since I never use it) I printed the Amazon trade-in shipping label and shipped it. 4 days later, I got an email from Amazon Trade-In telling me that a $192 gift card balance had been deposited to my account. I used it to order the PS3 12GB.

I now have the PS3 12GB with brand new 1 year warranty. I also have a free 3-year SquareTrade warranty with accidental damage coverage.

Guess what? The PS3 12GB works exactly like my old PS3 80GB. It's actually much quieter as well! smile.gif

I'm just not really sure why Amazon offered $192 for my old one. smile.gif
post #11 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Watching baseball games on the PS3 MLB ticket wasnt as nice as using the app built inside my panasonicTV.
Quote:
The PS3 really needs more memory or better CPU or something...
Quote:
The PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A seventh runs in a special mode and is dedicated to aspects of the OS and security, and an eighth is a spare to improve production yields. PlayStation 3's Cell CPU achieves a theoretical maximum of 230.4 GFLOPS[3] in single precision floating point operations and up to 100 GFLOPSdouble precision using iterative refinement for the solution of linear equations. The PS3 has 256MB of Rambus XDR DRAM, clocked at CPU die speed

Graphics processing unit

Main article: RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'

PS3 GPU-RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'
The graphics processing unit, according to Nvidia, is based on the NVIDIA G70 (previously known as NV47) architecture. The GPU is clocked at 550 MHz and makes use of 256 MB GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz with an effective transmission rate of 1.4 GHz .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_technical_specifications#Central_processing_unit
PS 3 has much more CPU/GPU than anything in any smart TV or BD player must be the PS3 MLB ticket app or maybe something with broadband or PSN on that channel certainly isn't lack of CPU/GPU.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #12 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Overseas collectors Putin is buying up all the Phats so he can hook them all up in parallel and make a massive supercomputer to spy on NSA biggrin.gif

post #13 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

I'm surprised that nobody has told you the reason why.

It has nothing to do with them filling a container for rich overseas collectors. It's because as a 80 gig Motorstorm bundled model, you have one of the last Playstation 3 consoles capable of playing Playstation 2 discs.

Even your model that had reduced compatibility and accuracy due to Sony moving the PS2's Emotion Engine CPU workload to imperfect software emulation in a cost savings move that left only the PS2's GPU present is desirable and something that people will pay a premium for. It's also one of the last with four USB ports (Halved in later models) and SACD support, but it's the PS2 compatibility that makes it desirable.
post #14 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Leo_Ames ,
Your answer makes more sense I would buy that.

post #15 of 22 Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I'm surprised that nobody has told you the reason why.

It has nothing to do with them filling a container for rich overseas collectors. It's because as a 80 gig Motorstorm bundled model, you have one of the last Playstation 3 consoles capable of playing Playstation 2 discs.

Even your model that had reduced compatibility and accuracy due to Sony moving the PS2's Emotion Engine CPU workload to imperfect software emulation in a cost savings move that left only the PS2's GPU present is desirable and something that people will pay a premium for. It's also one of the last with four USB ports (Halved in later models) and SACD support, but it's the PS2 compatibility that makes it desirable.

There are still people playing PS2 games? smile.gif (just kidding)

I guess I should have looked into it more carefully before accepting only $192 for my old PS3. frown.gif If Amazon gave me $192, they were obviously sure that they could sell it for $250 ore more!

Just dug up the original receipt for my 80gb PS3 MotorStorm bundle. I paid $349 + 10.25% sales tax at Best Buy back then. Oh well.. $192 isn't that be, I guess. biggrin.gif

I've never used the other three USB ports. (only have one USB external hard drive connected) The new PS3 12GB is working perfectly now and I'm not missing anything... so I guess it wasn't a bad deal. smile.gif
post #16 of 22 Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

There are still people playing PS2 games? smile.gif (just kidding)

I guess I should have looked into it more carefully before accepting only $192 for my old PS3. frown.gif If Amazon gave me $192, they were obviously sure that they could sell it for $250 ore more!

Just dug up the original receipt for my 80gb PS3 MotorStorm bundle. I paid $349 + 10.25% sales tax at Best Buy back then. Oh well.. $192 isn't that be, I guess. biggrin.gif

I've never used the other three USB ports. (only have one USB external hard drive connected) The new PS3 12GB is working perfectly now and I'm not missing anything... so I guess it wasn't a bad deal. smile.gif

That is GREAT for used electronics. Especially something that is over 6 yrs old. You got nearly 50% of your original cost back. HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!!!!!

Most people would be lucky to get 10-20% after 2-3 yrs, if anything at all.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
A 60gb PS3 fat? 8o

Gimme gimme gimme!

PS2 backward compatibility AND SACD support!

(Yes, there are some of us who still play their ps2 collection. the ps2 has some of my favorite games of all time. i still have my ps2 hooked up because my ps3 slim is not backward compatible. damn you sony for dropping it.)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #18 of 22 Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I bought the last PS2 I ever saw new in a store 18 months ago just for a backup after several months of keeping my eyes open for one and own nearly 200 PS2 games. So I'm certainly a fan. smile.gif
post #19 of 22 Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Just buy a BluRay player.

500 gigs FTW.
post #20 of 22 Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Why would you trade in a ps3 so that you could pay $7 more for another one with a smaller hard drive? What am I missing here?
post #21 of 22 Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

Why would you trade in a ps3 so that you could pay $7 more for another one with a smaller hard drive? What am I missing here?

I think he had a Phat, so his thought process was he can get a newer one for free (no wear and tear) and the hard drive size isn't an issue for the OP if you read the post.
post #22 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

+ 1 , I was thinking the same thing the phat's are getting up there in age now . in ant event the Op has a new box with a new warranty fortunatly the 3's all seem to be more reliable than the 2's I went through 3 of them . still have tha last 2 I bought and ofc the 3 slim

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page