Second thoughts on my preorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,
As the time draws closer and I read more reviews, I am having second thoughts on my preorder. It seems that the side by side comparisons, in combination with the new games offered on the PS3 that the differences are either negligible or don't have this amazing WOW factor.

And GT6 is coming out in December for PS3, that's an automatic buy for me.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same? Maybe I need to be reminded as to why the PS4 is a good choice right now...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I have been having some myself because of the unknowns concerning the multimedia features that were, or weren't, announced. All the rumors are pointing to those things being sorted out as time passes, similar to the way it was done on PS3, so crisis probably averted. I've decided to stick with it now, and also because of the games I've seen and the improvements they already show. I'm also looking forward to having a new console on day one, which I've never had the means or opportunity to do before. With the promise of what's coming soon I'm willing to risk the ups and downs of a new product, but it's not for everyone. A console launch is the only thing I haven't experienced in this hobby I love, so here goes nothing.

I will also have GT6 in December, which will have my PS4 offline for that first week and regularly thereafter.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #3 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 225
For those of you unsure, you should sell your pre-order, and wait a few months before making a decision. After a few months there should be a lot of feedback, kinks will have been ironed out, and then you'll know what you're getting into.

And it would be nice if you offered up your pre-order here on AVS for a reasonable price wink.gif
redshift1 likes this.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #4 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Yes, only a $100 markup instead of the normal $300 or $400. biggrin.gif

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #5 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 251
If you're having second thoughts, consider the following:

If you know you're going to eventually buy a PS4, why wait, there won't be a price-drop for a long time. You literally will not be saving any cash and you won't have to worry if you should or shouldn't have at launch.

If you are unsure not just now, but if you'll ever buy a PS4, then it's best to wait.

I don't expect launch titles to represent the peak of the hardware, but despite what internet videos look like I'm expecting there to be a very noticeable visual fidelity difference. Coupled with a better controller (according to others) and a snappier OS with multi-tasking.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #6 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

If you're having second thoughts, consider the following:

If you know you're going to eventually buy a PS4, why wait, there won't be a price-drop for a long time. You literally will not be saving any cash and you won't have to worry if you should or shouldn't have at launch.

If you are unsure not just now, but if you'll ever buy a PS4, then it's best to wait.

I don't expect launch titles to represent the peak of the hardware, but despite what internet videos look like I'm expecting there to be a very noticeable visual fidelity difference. Coupled with a better controller (according to others) and a snappier OS with multi-tasking.

Though I don't expect the price of the base PS4 unit to drop anytime soon, I'm sure there'll be some kind of bundle deals in the next year, even if they are retailer specific and perhaps even add, say $50, to get a free new release game and an extra controller. I held out on a Vita, and within the first year Sony and retail partners issued a number of attractive limited-time bundles. I still kick myself for not getting the BF AC: Liberation Bundle.

Not to mention, prices of launch games are sure to drop into the $30-$40 range within the first 4-6 months. Do you think Sony and all retailers will still be asking $60 for Knack, AC IV or LEGO Marvel Superheroes come next April?

If you don't see a need for a PS4 now, you'll only get better deals later. And certainly next Black Friday will bring some excellent bundles if you can hold out that long.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I am ready and waiting...even though I know us early adopters are going to be the beta testers for the new networks. At launch I am not too concerned with DLNA, MP3, and other problems people have with missing features since I do not use those features as of yet, but hope that they are added at some time once I get a good enough PC to use as an HTPC.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 170
When I first heard about the DriveClub delay, I seriously questioned whether I should really be buying a PS4 BEFORE Infamous Second Son comes out. Basically, my thinking was... "I know I'll want a PS4 the second that Infamous Second Son is available, but do I really need to own the thing before that moment ?"

Then I heard about the Target B2G1 deal, and I feel much, much better about the purchase. I think that Killzone and NBA 2K14 are both going to be very worthy purchases, and I might as well get Knack thrown into the mix for free. I figure those games, along with various PS+ stuff will keep me entertained until Second Son arrives. But yeah, there could be times in December and January when I have a wee bit of buyer's remorse, but maybe the new Naughty Dog game will be shown at VMA'a and it will make me feel better.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Though I don't expect the price of the base PS4 unit to drop anytime soon, I'm sure there'll be some kind of bundle deals in the next year, even if they are retailer specific and perhaps even add, say $50, to get a free new release game and an extra controller. I held out on a Vita, and within the first year Sony and retail partners issued a number of attractive limited-time bundles. I still kick myself for not getting the BF AC: Liberation Bundle.

Not to mention, prices of launch games are sure to drop into the $30-$40 range within the first 4-6 months. Do you think Sony and all retailers will still be asking $60 for Knack, AC IV or LEGO Marvel Superheroes come next April?

If you don't see a need for a PS4 now, you'll only get better deals later. And certainly next Black Friday will bring some excellent bundles if you can hold out that long.

I am not expecting there to be any cost savings bundles in the next year, if there is it won't be till Black Friday 2014 and at most will amount to one retail title. You can get that deal now perhaps with the target deal, not to mention the 1 year of playstation plus titles.

If you know you're going to buy one. There isn't any reason meaningful financial reason to wait, and what little possibly there might be it wouldn't be enough to stave off my curiosity. $50/$60 enough to shave off a year of possible interest?

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #10 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No second thoughts here. I wouldn't have it any other way. Bring on the games!!!!

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #11 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
For me Killzone: Shadow Fall is worth the purchase of a PS4. I was not planning on jumping in on day one but then KZ:SF was announced....

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #12 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not having any second thoughts on the PS4, however i am dissapointed that two of the games i was looking forward to most (drive club and watch dogs) have been delayed. I just wish i had the cash to preorder the xbox one too so i could play some forza.
I know Gran Turismo will be out on PS3 soon, but i was looking forward to a true next gen racer.

Also, as always in the launch window, a lot of the games that are being developed on legacy consoles and next gen platforms aren't going to stand out as much graphically as something developed exclusively for next gen. The games will get more and more impressive as time goes on.

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #13 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Target has the Buy 2 Get 1 free deal on launch PS4 games going on from 11-10 to 11-16.Amazon is rumored to be doing it also.

Gamestop and Amazon will be selling a 1 year Playstation Plus membership for $29.99 on Black Friday this year.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
$30 for a year of + is great but it sure makes my launch day BF4 bundle less of a deal. I save $10 getting the PS4, BF4 and +. Instead I could be playing BF4 already on ps3 digitally, upgrade to ps4 for free with the PSN credit, and use the 14 + trial until black Friday and save $20 on +.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
At my age I just want a PS4 before I die.smile.gif
beach scrub likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For me PS4 will be sitting there in my livingroom for a year because so far, only one game interests me and it´s BF4, and having to be PSN+ to play on line FOR ONE GAME?, no thanks, RIGHT NOW, in my case, PS4 doesn´t worth it, still have backlog with PS3 games, GTA IV, GTA V, Dead Island, Beyond: Two Souls.

MAYBE next year wink.gif
post #17 of 24 Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

For me PS4 will be sitting there in my livingroom for a year because so far, only one game interests me and it´s BF4, and having to be PSN+ to play on line FOR ONE GAME?, no thanks, RIGHT NOW, in my case, PS4 doesn´t worth it, still have backlog with PS3 games, GTA IV, GTA V, Dead Island, Beyond: Two Souls.

MAYBE next year wink.gif

The day Infamous Second Son drops, is the day you might wish you had a PS4. Before then, I'm not sure there will be anything truly system selling worthy.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am feeling the same way. I have 2 pre-ordered from amazon if anyone is interested PM me. I have them on craigslist but would rather sell to a AVSer.

War Eagle!
post #19 of 24 Old 11-05-2013, 05:30 AM

Liked: 11
Personally as the release draws nearer I regret not preordering. My plan was to stick with the PS3 for another year but the hype is starting to get me. With a birthday and Christmas coming I will have enough gift cards to fund a PS4/games after the holidays.
I’m really looking forward to BF4 running at PC specs, that’s going to be amazing.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 10
I cancelled my Launch Day pre-order from Amazon the other day, I too was feeling unsure with it. I have enough games between my PS3, Wii U, and 3DS to keep me occupied until games that I really want for the system to come out. By cancelling my pre-order hopefully someone who really wanted one will be able to get it on launch day:D.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 PM

Liked: 10
Can't wait. Don't worry about paying for PS+ to play online, that program is fantastic and we get two games at launch, Resogun and Contrast included with Plus. I have been thrilled with Plus over the past year, lots of good games.

I am excited to see how remote play on the vita works and for driving fans what about NFS:Rivals?

Just hope I can get to Target early next Friday to snap up my B2G1 games.

Bring it on. The 15th can't come soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 24 Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11
There will be no shortage of PS4's trust me on this one. If you can't get one send me a PM and I'll help you get one. Best Buy, biggest one in the region here, has 3 pallets of 100 on each of them and more coming on their next truck. You will be able to walk in and buy them without a pre-order. The issue will be with extra controllers is what I am thinking. I'm starting to regret picking one up since I was hoping for a shortage to sell mine. I was lucky enough to get it for a little less with accommodations through Sony when I worked for Best Buy, so selling the system with extra controller and COD at cost would put some cash in my pocket. Guess we will really see what happens on launch day. Ebay is already flooded with them so I'm going to wait and see but usually I wait a year before buying a new system. I really only wanted it b/c of 4k movie playback but we dont even have that till they roll out the update which hasn't happened yet.
post #23 of 24 Old 11-07-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sorry you cancelled. Enjoy standing in lines and trying to fight for the one in a walmart on a black friday at 3 in the morning.

Wear fast tennis shoes. I bet you steal it from the soccer mom.
post #24 of 24 Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the supply is going to be way too strong for the PS4. Potentially 4 out of 10 preorders, if not more, are profiteers speculating that they will be able to sell PS4's for hundreds extra.

It's not going to happen. Sony really believes that the demand for the PS4 is through the roof, but much of the demand is a speculative bubble. Wii U all over again.

Don't get it wrong, Sony is going to have an amazing holiday, selling tons of PS4's, but the Ebay market is going to be a total dud.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Gran Turismo 6 , Playstation 4 Console , Driveclub , Infamous Second Son , Killzone Shadow Fall

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page