PS4 Hard Drives - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So what's everybody doing for hard drives? I think there are two main questions:

(1) Now or later?
Are you upgrading at launch, or sometime after? With installs/download up to 50GB or so per game, re-installing later after an internal hard drive upgrade could be a massive PITA. On the other hand, upgrading right away might be a mistake (see next question).

Me: I think I'm going to take a chance and upgrade for launch. My ISP has a bandwidth cap monthly and I'm going 100% digital download this gen. So I don't want to have to re-download several hundred GB of data in a few months if I upgrade the HDD later.

(2) Storage or performance?
In the sub 12mm 2.5in form factor, the best options I can find are either a 1.5TB standard hard drive, or a 1TB hybrid (w/8GB of NAND flash).

Me: Originally I was going to go with space (again, so I would only have to upgrade the drive at launch but then hopefully not ever again until PS5), but after more thought I think 1TB is enough for about 20 games or so and that seems adequate to me coupled with a potential performance boost. So, I think I'll be going with the hybrid. Of course there's a pretty big question mark about if the hybrids will perform as well in a PS4 as they do on say a Windows PC.

Before I pull the trigger I wouldn't mind hearing what other people are thinking of doing. I thought this could be a thread, but if people disagree then mods please merge it into the main PS4 thread I guess.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
StorageReview.com

Lots of comparisons and detailed performance info. Have your model # and search away.

Since the PS4 is using SATA II the extra cost of an SSD is probably not justified next to the performance you would see. A hybrid drive would be a better bang for the buck, yet I'm not sold on reliability of either style of solid state drive.

I'm going to wait a little while before doing a swap. I would like to get the system running and DL that first update before fiddling with the HDD swap. I do plan on doing it as early as I can without having any issues.

I'm still debating 5400 or 7200 rpm, but I'm going with a standard HDD. I've narrowed it down to the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (reviewed) and the WD Blue Slim WD10SPCX (reviewed). Unless something better comes along it's probably one of these. Heck, I'm not even sure I should risk 7200rpm so someone talk me into it, or out of it smile.gif

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #3 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I picked up a 1.5TB (5400RPM) HGST 9.5mm form factor drive (HGST 5K1500). It's just a standard HD.

I upgraded my PS3 to a 1TB drive and it took way too long to transfer less than 80GB between backup and restore. This time around, I plan on swapping the hard drive before I even power it on the first time.
ultracat likes this.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 196
Specific topics deserve their own thread so people can flesh out its details over time. You did the right thing.

~~~

I plan to wait before upgrading. The first thing to evaluate is the system's "PlayGo" feature that allows us to play soon after we begin downloading. That will affect my decision of what size drive I need. I don't mind deleting solo adventures or games where I don't play online often if I can use this perk to easily play them again in the future if I wish.

Besides that, I want a lot of hands-on reports from other users on the effects that RPM speeds, hybrid models and full SSDs have on a variety of gaming experiences (I know in theory, but want measurable results to compare). I also want to find out how any increase in heat affects the ability of the PS4 to keep itself cool, and want to know about any added sound issues.

All of this, and I want to wait for a killer deal on my selected model.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #5 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

StorageReview.com

Lots of comparisons and detailed performance info. Have your model # and search away.

Since the PS4 is using SATA II the extra cost of an SSD is probably not justified next to the performance you would see. A hybrid drive would be a better bang for the buck, yet I'm not sold on reliability of either style of solid state drive.

I'm going to wait a little while before doing a swap. I would like to get the system running and DL that first update before fiddling with the HDD swap. I do plan on doing it as early as I can without having any issues.

I'm still debating 5400 or 7200 rpm, but I'm going with a standard HDD. I've narrowed it down to the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (reviewed) and the WD Blue Slim WD10SPCX (reviewed). Unless something better comes along it's probably one of these. Heck, I'm not even sure I should risk 7200rpm so someone talk me into it, or out of it smile.gif

Thanks for the site.

What is your concern with 5400 vs 7200 rpm, I don't get it? Are you concerned with longevity? If so I'd say either would last you this generation. Spindle-based drives are a really mature technology by now. For speed, 7200 vs 5400, it's a no-brainer you'd go with the 7200 rpm IMO. Also I think there's a lot of myths about SSD or hybrid durability. These days that info is a little outdated, sort of like saying today you wouldn't buy a plasma because you were worried about burn in.

I wonder why you wouldn't max out the size if you are not going to go with SSD or hybrid, but a traditional drive instead? HGST makes a 5400 1.5TB drive. So really I think based on what you said you should pick between the 1TB 7200 for performance or the 1.5TB 5400 for size.

Here's the 1.5TB I'm talking about:
http://www.storagereview.com/hgst_announces_travelstar_5k1500
That's the one I'm thinking about if I prioritize storage space.

The hybrid drive I'm thinking about is this one:
http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/
(the 1TB model that's 9.5mm)

p.s. they're both basically the same price. It's just about weighing pros and cons. I'm feelin' indecisive haha.

edit: I went with the hybrid. At that price point I think it's the best overall: 2x the default hard drive in size, and hopefully a significant performance boost too. I figured slow load times wouldn't feel next gen. Plus the drive was $10 off on sale at my local Chinatown PC store.

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #6 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I plan on upgrading as well, though I am concerned about what "pre-loaded" software is on the original drive that would be lost when the hard drive is replaced.

That makes me hesitant to swap the drive in the PS4 out of the box.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #7 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 196
^^^ Nothing preloaded on new PS3s is lost when you switch drives if you do a backup for your personal data and dload any program data from the PSN. I'm sure the same is true for the PS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post

What is your concern with 5400 vs 7200 rpm, I don't get it? Are you concerned with longevity? If so I'd say either would last you this generation. Spindle-based drives are a really mature technology by now. For speed, 7200 vs 5400, it's a no-brainer you'd go with the 7200 rpm IMO.

Concern for a switch from 5400 to 7200 is how the potential increase in heat and noise will affect the console.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #8 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I mentioned this in the main playstation 4 thread. I've just got myself a 12mm 1.5TB drive for a day one install since it was on special. I know the official FAQ says it only supports 9.5mm drives but Computer Bild a German tech site had a hands-on try at it and it fits a 12.5mm and I put my absolute faith in German tech mags to get specs like this right.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.computerbild.de/fotos/Zehn-Fragen-Playstation-4-8831729.html&usg=ALkJrhhsWTSkzbLVvx9WjGm5khrG9OpfZg

I was also consider the Seagate SSHD or a SSD, but I want to see the performance differences will be. I'm betting that the improvements will be alot better than with the PS3 assuming they don't have the same slow encryption/decryption chip infront of the HDD I/O

the fact that playstation 4 does not have SATA 3, only SATA 2 isn't a big issue, as most of the improvements from SSDs are from latency and random seeks rather than peak throughput
post #9 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
That German Tech Mag had a developer console, not a retail unit. Best not to rely on that for your launch plans...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
it was a debug machine, but I'm willing to put my own personal chances of it being the same. Besides I'll still have another usage for the 1.5TB if it does not fit, YMMV
post #11 of 18 Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 832
Went with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ

I've barely used 250GB this generation, but then again I've played over 50 games. With full installations, thats going to be quite a bit next Gen. I tend to delete game data for games I won't be playing much again, but still being lazy about it has it's perks.

Figure 1TB should be good for the first 1/2 of the Gen, and lookingf orward to see if the SSD cache 8GB works well in reducing loading times and streaming assets.
slyderulz likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Went with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ

I've barely used 250GB this generation, but then again I've played over 50 games. With full installations, thats going to be quite a bit next Gen. I tend to delete game data for games I won't be playing much again, but still being lazy about it has it's perks.

Figure 1TB should be good for the first 1/2 of the Gen, and lookingf orward to see if the SSD cache 8GB works well in reducing loading times and streaming assets.

Yep, I went through the rationale of selecting that one in the PS4 thread. Based on the specs we know so far, I felt that was the only drive to consider that would balance increased storage with marginally better performance of the 8GB NAND cache. I know there are rumors of better on the horizon, but I'd rather go with something that has already proven itself in the wild (and by several PS3 owners on this forum) than be a guinea pig for what would likely be diminishing returns on performance with either pure SSD, a higher RPM drive or larger NAND. Not to mention a taller drive or pure SSD may not work at all, since no one has actually tried either on a launch console yet wink.gif

Got mine from the big river this past Saturday...10 more days in the box before it finds a home!!!

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #13 of 18 Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure all drive types will work (platter, SSHD, SSD), it's more about how well it will work the way the PS4 OS uses it. For example, I am curious to see if there's no real performance boost using the SSHD, I think it's way better to get a 7200RPM 1.5TB Hitachi. I'm another Seagate SSHD guinea pig and I see a lot of folks seem to be choosing that one, so I'm sure soon after launch we'll have plenty of feedback to share. I'll be replacing mine day 1 and will report any glitches I have (if any) here.

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #14 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Would I be able to take out the 500 gb hard drive from ps4 and put it into a ps3 phat.? I put 1tb in my slim but my phat still has 40gb.

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #15 of 18 Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393

I think I'm just going to swap the 500GB hybrid drive that's already in my PS3 with the stock PS4 drive and call it a day.  I'm honestly not too concerned with the space, I think 500GB is going to go a lot further than people realize. I believe that by the time lots of people start hitting the storage wall in a year or two, the firmware will have matured to the point that external drives and/or paring a game down to the minimum playable size will have been implemented. Either way by the time I actually hit the wall, HDDs will be cheaper and faster. I understand the impulse to want a faster drive out of the gate though, I think load times are going to be awful across the board. 

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16 of 18 Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 11
To me its not even about the space as I use it more as a bluray player, this being my 4k bluray player but faster load times is what I like. I still have my backwards compatible 40gb ps3 and plenty of room on it. Really wish it had sata III instead of sata 2 but it what it is I guess. My computer is tied to my HT setup with 3TB for movies but DL 4k movie quality will take some time so renting a disc or buying them for now will do. Unless I can find someone who rips them and puts them on a seedbox. Strange to see USB 3.0 on this console but no sata III.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
HDD swap. Looks as simple as the PS3.

Gallery of HDD swap.
Link is a bit long.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-08-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 184
If the interface is still SATA2 then I will be upgrading for storage needs. Ultimately depends on how many games i keep after 1st play through and real world performance results from SSDs. Seeing that so far most game installs are ~50GB space will def weight heaviest when I decide to swap drives.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:

Twitter: @gundumgaming

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page