post #91 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Guess I will have to do some laps on Oman or something tonight. I am just going to wait for this to hit the bargain bin I guess. I am having fun with FM5 but there is always a little room for a somewhat open world racing game like this.

Once we get rent servers we can setup some races and have a freinemy lay mines for Split Second style.
Smigro likes this.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Once we get rent servers we can setup some races and have a freinemy lay mines for Split Second style.

That would be awesome. We could also have boat and jet ski races too. biggrin.gif
post #93 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 45
How do you unlock the helicopter? I'm a level 8 cop and its still not in my Pursuit Tech options. I read a guide for NFS Rivals on the net and it made it sound like it was available starting in level 3. Am I doing something wrong or not looking in the right place? I see other pursuit tech like level 2 versions of the ESF but no copter. Thanks!
post #94 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

How do you unlock the helicopter? I'm a level 8 cop and its still not in my Pursuit Tech options. I read a guide for NFS Rivals on the net and it made it sound like it was available starting in level 3. Am I doing something wrong or not looking in the right place? I see other pursuit tech like level 2 versions of the ESF but no copter. Thanks!

Have to purchase it in pursuit tech.
post #95 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Have to purchase it in pursuit tech.

Yes, that's what I understand. However it's not one of the options there. I see ESF and strips and other tech, but no helicopter. Do you have to reach a certain cop level or objective before it becomes available?
post #96 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Think so.
post #97 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Yes, that's what I understand. However it's not one of the options there. I see ESF and strips and other tech, but no helicopter. Do you have to reach a certain cop level or objective before it becomes available?

Hmm, I thought roadblock and helicopter were only in the NFS Network ios/android app.
I finished the cop game and don't remember calling a chopper. It would be a useless tech option, unless playing human.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #98 of 107 Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I had it. First level calls a chopper and second drops barriers. After that I think the barriers it drops get bigger.
post #99 of 107 Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 87
First heli dropped spike strip got me today. I seen the lights but didn't know what they were for.

I turned on voice chat but no ones home. What did I miss?
Not sure I want anyone to hear me but thought it would be neat, would be another first for me.

Nov.14
post #100 of 107 Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Finally picked this up after I found a good deal on it. For context, I was a huge fan of Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge, and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010). I also liked Burnout Paradise and Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012), but was less keen on the open world racing since I prefer to look at the road rather than having to constantly look at the mini-map.

Need For Speed: Rivals clearly shares a lot of DNA with the most recent NFS:HP game. The cops vs. racers theme, the pursuit tech, and the map style (linear stretches with multiple paths) are nearly identical. But some elements of NFS:MW are also here, with the persistent race world, easy drive, starting events from marked spots on the road, etc. In many ways this game seemed poised to take the best elements of both previous games and deliver something really special -- but that isn't quite the case.

I'm still trying to put my finger on it, but something's missing here. The indications of when you're building nitrous aren't very clear, and the nitrous and damage gauges don't stand out well on the HUD. Other racers and cops interfering with an event you're in (e.g. a time trial or pure race) may be more realistic, but it's not much fun. (Yes, I could switch in and out of private mode, but that's annoying.) Course markings aren't as clear as in past games, which sucks when you're trying to react at high speed. And pursuits don't have that pure adrenaline rush of the previous NFS:HP game -- the pursuit tech doesn't feel as sharp, and the events don't feel as focused.

While the game is still fun, it's somehow less than the sum of its parts. 7.5/10 feels about right.

- Jer
DaverJ likes this.
post #101 of 107 Old 07-05-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I haven't played it in a while and I played it on the XBOne. But from what I remember, I thought the Nitrous and Damage level was very clear on screen.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #102 of 107 Old 07-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I haven't played it in a while and I played it on the XBOne. But from what I remember, I thought the Nitrous and Damage level was very clear on screen.
They're both small, white indicators stuffed into the bottom right part of the screen.

Here's Rivals:
Spoiler!

Here's Hot Pursuit:
Spoiler!

In NFS:HP the color cues and the bounding boxes make it immediately obvious what the levels of nitrous and damage are at a glance. In NFS:R you have to squint to see the nitrous level, and while the damage level is a better size, the lack of contrast makes it harder to see where it is.

- Jer

Last edited by jhaines; 07-05-2014 at 04:40 PM.
post #103 of 107 Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The last few times I played there were only a couple players online.
I didn't find it too entertaining.
I have been searching harder for hidden stuff, new areas. I guess I got what I was expecting.
FWIW I've made the sweetest jumps playing this version and some unbelievable crashes. I really like when the car comes to a stop after a wicked crash and the drivers just sitting there, waiting to speed off.

Last edited by brwsaw; 07-06-2014 at 12:05 AM.
post #104 of 107 Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

I just wanted to say that after spending some more quality time with the game, I've grown to accept its warts and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'd probably bump my rating up to 8 or 8.5.

I now plan to max out my player levels and try to gold every event as I have in previous Criterion racing games. If anyone is still looking to get the friend trophies for the PS4 version, you can hit me up on PSN as jh2112. Let me know in the friend request that you're from AVS.

- Jer
post #105 of 107 Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd still have the game to do these trophies, but I traded it in. I was almost done golding the events for the racer side. It is the first racing game I've ever played in my life that I felt successfully finishing was a reasonable venture.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #106 of 107 Old 09-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Finished off the last of the gold medals last night. Only a few were challenging -- the "Keep Pushing" time trial and a couple of Rapid Response events, from what I remember. Nothing as brutally hard as the high-level Rapid Response runs from NFS:HP, though.

If anyone was having issues with the 500,000 points in a single run trophy, one good way to get it is...
Spoiler!

- Jer
post #107 of 107 Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post
Finished off the last of the gold medals last night. Only a few were challenging -- the "Keep Pushing" time trial and a couple of Rapid Response events, from what I remember. Nothing as brutally hard as the high-level Rapid Response runs from NFS:HP, though.

If anyone was having issues with the 500,000 points in a single run trophy, one good way to get it is...
Spoiler!

- Jer
I quickly learned if I wanted a specific medal, to restart as "private" party. 3 Times almost completing an objective and then server migration was enough for me to just play privately most the time.

I meant to say above this I Golded all the police medals and was almost finished with the Racer when I traded it in.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Need For Speed Rivals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page