Which games are you picking up on launch day and why? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am going for Killzone because it looks like it will be one of the most "next gen" looking titles and I have COD fatigue. For my second/third choice i think i'll pick up Assassins Creed IV and Need for Speed. AC4 is going to replace Watch Dogs and Need for Speed will be replacing Drive Club, both of which got delayed unfortunately.

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I already have Killzone preordered ...... I enjoyed 2 and 3, it's one of the few online multiplayers I enjoy, and it seems like the default go-to title for the PS4's launch.

If Amazon really does jump on the Target 'buy two get on free" train I'll probably jump on FIFA 14 and Madden 25. Love me some FIFA, and it's not using the ignite engine on the PC so that's a PS4 no brainier.

The other title's worth a buy are available for PC, and my gamin rig is pretty robust.

As for Knack, I'm rolling the dice that it'll be a PS+ title sooner rather than later.

PSN: futurecode
post #3 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have the Killzone bundle coming on launch day. I enjoyed the first three as well. Might have to give 2 and 3 a run through on easy before the 15th.

I also ordered Battlefield 4, my best launch deal at $48.99 from Newegg. Free shipping means about 3 days after launch but close enough. Reminds me I have to ask the AVS crew that runs together if they want one more.

Aside from those two I'll be relying on Plus titles to get me into Spring, where Infamous and the Destiny beta are waiting.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #4 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I've already bought BF4 and Knack from the PSN Store. Getting BF4 for online mostly, even though I suck, and Knack is to have something I can play when the kids are awake.

Using Gamefly to get Killzone and AC4. That should give me plenty to do during launch and that doesn't include the PS+ titles, I can't wait to try Contrast.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #5 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Killzone (always have been a fan of the series particularly the MP)
COD (squads mode is awesome - (already playing it on PS3) and extinction)
Resogun (PS+).

Maybe NBA2k12 or Madden but I need to see more. Would get AC4 but I got it for free on PC when I bought a new video card.
post #6 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 458
So how come there is barely any mention of people picking up f2p or Plus titles? We've had a lot of BF and COD talk but not much for Blacklight, Warframe, DCUO, War Thunder or any of the rest. A bit of Resogun and Contrast talk too. Is there a lack of interest? Personally I plan to at least download them all and check them out at least once.
post #7 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

So how come there is barely any mention of people picking up f2p or Plus titles? We've had a lot of BF and COD talk but not much for Blacklight, Warframe, DCUO, War Thunder or any of the rest. A bit of Resogun and Contrast talk too. Is there a lack of interest? Personally I plan to at least download them all and check them out at least once.

I'll definitely DL the free ones. But, I'm also planning to purchase Pinball Arcade to give me a break from COD.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #8 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Pinball Arcade, do we know how an upgrade from PS3 to PS4 works yet? I've got seasons one and two purchased but they haven't given us an upgrade path yet, at least that I could find a couple weeks ago.
post #9 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
KZ for the next gen experience (hopefully!), BF4, Resogun are my day ones. I will also DL the free2play games and try them out. I'm curious about Knack. I sort of wish I was able to pick between KZ and BF4 (I couldn't so I just got both) and I would have gotten Knack as my 2nd game. I was also looking forward to DriveClub but it's delayed : (

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #10 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

I think people assume the free2play games won't be anything all that special. I will be very surprised for example if Warframe is better than BF4 or KZ. War Thunder looks pretty sweet though. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a flying shooter.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #11 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 202
Quote:

Speaking of Pinball Arcade, do we know how an upgrade from PS3 to PS4 works yet? I've got seasons one and two purchased but they haven't given us an upgrade path yet, at least that I could find a couple weeks ago.

I posted new info on TPA discounts somewhere on this forum, but not in the main thread until now. Sorry about that.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #12 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
I'll be buying The Pinball Arcade on day one. It's the reason I preordered a PS4! I played the PS4 version at the Chicago Pinball Expo a couple of weeks ago and it is sweet! I'm also picking up Madden. I'll probably buy BF4 but will wait until the PS4 version releases and make sure online isn't broken before I buy it.

PSN brakel

post #13 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Joe! Wonder what half off is? Season one was $30 if memory serves. Did they by chance mention Season two upgrades or are those in progress? Will check out the vid when I get home so maybe the answers are within.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Joe! Wonder what half off is? Season one was $30 if memory serves. Did they by chance mention Season two upgrades or are those in progress? Will check out the vid when I get home so maybe the answers are within.

At the Expo a couple of weeks ago it looked like they only had season one finished. I'm wondering if the price structure before discount will be the same as the PS3 pricing. FarSight hasn't said.

PSN brakel

post #15 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I'm wondering, still a $30 season or more now? Surely they would keep the same price.
post #16 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
None, I already have a ton of games. Well, there's the $10 ghosts upgrade. Then there's free resogun and contrast. Upgrades to flower, escape plan, sound shapes and flow. Maybe I'll rent killzone.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #17 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm going with Killzone because it really looks next gen and with AC4 because I've been a fan of the series and I wanted a game with a long single player experience. If Amazon does the buy 2 and get 1 free then I'll go with NBA 2K14 also. I'll be playing the free games also especially Resogun.
post #18 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Don't forget the free PS4 upgrades for Flower, Flow, and Escape Plan. I wonder if the upgraded version of Flower will include 3D. That would be an awesome game for 3D.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #19 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM

Liked: 10
BF4, Killzone and NFS:Rivals from Target. Black Flag and Knack from Gamefly and I might give DCUOnline a try as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

I'll be buying The Pinball Arcade on day one. It's the reason I preordered a PS4! I played the PS4 version at the Chicago Pinball Expo a couple of weeks ago and it is sweet! I'm also picking up Madden. I'll probably buy BF4 but will wait until the PS4 version releases and make sure online isn't broken before I buy it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect2

TPA pulled from the launch day titles. "Updated release info coming soon." Grrrr. Argh.

PSN brakel

post #21 of 36 Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
I am also looking forward to assassins creed 4 in 3d. I actually played most of AC3 in 3d but it was hampered by the lower resolution and poor aliasing. I think the power of the PS4 will make next gen 3d games much more enjoyable.

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #22 of 36 Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

That sux for TPA but then again I'm not exactly hurting for a game to play on launch.
post #23 of 36 Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I am also looking forward to assassins creed 4 in 3d. I actually played most of AC3 in 3d but it was hampered by the lower resolution and poor aliasing. I think the power of the PS4 will make next gen 3d games much more enjoyable.

I hope so. I played through UC3 in 3D, but AC3 was unbearable and I didn't think the fake 3d they used really added to the experience.

post #24 of 36 Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Zen pinball2 best implementation of 3d on the PS3. Looking forward to the PS4 version of that as well.

post #25 of 36 Old 11-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Liked: 832
All the Maddens being picked up make me sad. I wish EA would get some pressure to reinvest and revitalize the franchise, and people buying it means it'll never happen. But they do put people in a chicken and egg sort of problem, there's simply no other choice for the NFL itch. I can only hope some day they decide to NBA 2K14 it out of embarrassment and a realization of how much they're leaving on the table.

Anyways, rant over.

I just canceled my KZ PS4 bundle, as saving $10 wasn't worth it. Thinking of grabbing KZSF, AC4, and NBA 2K14 from amazon if they match targets B2G1F deal. Then instead of a measly $10 off a year of PSPlus sub, Amazon will most likely match Gamestops $30/1yr on black Friday. $40 more total than I was going to spend, but 2 more games for essentially $20 each.

What you guys thing for the third? It's a toss up between Knack or 2k14 for me.
post #26 of 36 Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

All the Maddens being picked up make me sad. I wish EA would get some pressure to reinvest and revitalize the franchise, and people buying it means it'll never happen. But they do put people in a chicken and egg sort of problem, there's simply no other choice for the NFL itch. I can only hope some day they decide to NBA 2K14 it out of embarrassment and a realization of how much they're leaving on the table.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but some of these Madden videos look pretty good to me. Some look horrible, some look good. It's funny, because I'm actually kinda excited about Madden on Next-Gen. I haven't played Madden in a very long time, so a lot of the complaints don't really pertain to me, because I haven't played the game in years. Seems most complaints are that it's not a big enough improvement over the current game. Hopefully I'll be able to see a bunch of reviews of the game on both systems, and see if the game is solid. If it's relatively solid, I'm going to be very tempted to try it, because I've been out of the loop so long and I'm kinda curious about it.

If I can resist, I'll just try to rent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

What you guys thing for the third? It's a toss up between Knack or 2k14 for me.

I would try to think about which game is more likely to be $25 on Craigslist in late December. I'm guessing Knack, so I'd go with NBA 2K14.
post #27 of 36 Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Killzone, Knack & AC4. KZ cuz well its purrrrdee; AC4 to have some sort of free-roam adventure game and Knack to A. Support Sony & First Party titles and B. to have a more "chill" game that I can try to entice the wife into playing.

Might look at getting NFS if forums give it positive reviews. Really wish Driveclub was still a launch title.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #28 of 36 Old 11-09-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Killzone, Knack & AC4.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Might look at getting NFS if forums give it positive reviews. .

Same, but very skeptical because of lack of buzz, or really any attention for the upcoming Need For Speed.

So the question is digital vs. disc. If Amazon comes through with the Buy 2, Get 1 Free promo that's rumored, well... question answered.

Oh, also don't forget Resogun! wink.gif
post #29 of 36 Old 11-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
COD:G and BF4. Mostly b/c I'm not sure which one is going to hold up best on the new console. Or .. if they are both great, than I'll play the one I enjoy more/suck at less.
post #30 of 36 Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Pre-ordered digital copies of Killzone and Battlefield... definitely want to play some Resogun as well.

I think I will be downloading Killzone first because it will probably provide the most wow factor and I plan to play some single player first to get used to the new Dualshock (shooting with R2 may really throw me off). The wait for the download is going to be agonizing, hopefully PSN stays smooth and stable for me.

PSN = Hatcher14
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Assassins Creed Iv Black Flag , Need For Speed Rivals , Need For Speed Carbon , Need For Speed Most Wanted , Battlefield 4 , Battlefield 4 Playstation 4 , Killzone Shadow Fall , Killzone Mercenary

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page