PS4 and Harmony remote? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #91 of 207 Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
So did anyone get the DreamGear PS4 remote?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 207 Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So did anyone get the DreamGear PS4 remote?
I don't think it's out anywhere yet. Frys keeps changing the release date.

The ps4 probably needs an update to get more bluetooth devices to work

Two things to note. I have seen reports that the ps3 sony bluetooth remote now is able to connect to the ps4, but doesn't work otherwise. Probably something in a recent update.

Also, netflix recently updated the ps4 app and hdmi cec now works somewhat with it, but you still can't use the back button, which is a big problem. At least the amazon video app works well, but not being to fully control netflix without a controller continues to hold back the ps4 from being an all around media player.
reddice likes this.
post #93 of 207 Old 08-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is a new remote out with dongle:

http://www.amazon.com/ButterFox-Blue.../dp/B00LSIR2H2

Can't find any info about besides the one review. The encouraging thing is in the review is apparently you can navigate netflix and other apps, including the back button, which has not been possible in any remote solution, until perhaps now. The downfall remains the inability to open the ps4 menu and go back to the main ps4 navigation screen. Still, if this remote does what it suggests, combined with hdmi cec controls for powering on/off, we may not be far away from a complete remote solution.

I may give this one a shot.
post #94 of 207 Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any updates on this, this seems ridiculous that I can control every other device I throw at my Harmony except a PS4, feels like were going backwards here
reddice likes this.
post #95 of 207 Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb3408 View Post
Any updates on this, this seems ridiculous that I can control every other device I throw at my Harmony except a PS4, feels like were going backwards here
kind of like how i can't play mp3's or audio cd's on my ps4... but i can on my 8 year old PS3...
reddice likes this.
post #96 of 207 Old 10-10-2014, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I really hate this. I can either use my Xbox One and put up with an inferior Blu-ray app that my Harmony can control or I can use my PS4 with better Blu-ray playback but have to use a game controller with a freaking flash light built into it. Maybe I should just give up and break out the PS3 again.
reddice likes this.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U. Plus a bunch of old consoles.
XBL: DELTAprime, PSN: DELTAsnake, Wii U: DELTAprime
post #97 of 207 Old 11-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Does anything in the 2.0 firmware help with this?
post #98 of 207 Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It does not appear so...
post #99 of 207 Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
It does not appear so...
post #100 of 207 Old 11-07-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post
I really hate this. I can either use my Xbox One and put up with an inferior Blu-ray app that my Harmony can control or I can use my PS4 with better Blu-ray playback but have to use a game controller with a freaking flash light built into it. Maybe I should just give up and break out the PS3 again.
With Device Link, Simplink (or whatever they call it), I can control most of what i need for watching BD with my TV or A/V receiver. Although my stock TV remote is not high on my list of remotes to use (LG Magic Remote), it did work with on screen controls. I Now run my PS3 and PS4 thru my receiver anyhow,which also does HDMI control. I programmed my Harmony buttons to use the receivers remote... Pause, Play, fast fwd, arrows etc... all works, I can move thru the menu.

I have the PS3 harmony adapter, and I still use that since i have it.
post #101 of 207 Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Has anyone purchased this remote and have any input?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...e=38-7364904-2

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #102 of 207 Old 01-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hmmmmmm. Now that there is a 3rd party remote I woner if we are close to Sony opening ps4 up for harmony.
post #103 of 207 Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any word on the official pdp remote for ps4? I recall hearing about this at the last CES
post #104 of 207 Old 01-07-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I haven't read the whole thread, AND I admit I don't have a PS4, but I have been doing a lot of toying around with different remote options for many of the devices I have and have learned a lot lately. FWIW, I also have a Fire TV Stick and a Fire TV, and both are also bluetooth (no IR) remotes only. And yes, I have a couple of PS3s.

First, the Harmony Hub (and all their different versions) support Bluetooth. Why has Logitech and/or Sony not made this work with the PS4? It works with the PS3.

Second, does the PS4 keep the USB powered up, or does it power down like the PS3? I was thinking there might be something that could be done with FLIRC to make it work. I've been pretty impressed with the flexibility of FLIRC.
post #105 of 207 Old 01-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, AND I admit I don't have a PS4, but I have been doing a lot of toying around with different remote options for many of the devices I have and have learned a lot lately. FWIW, I also have a Fire TV Stick and a Fire TV, and both are also bluetooth (no IR) remotes only. And yes, I have a couple of PS3s.

First, the Harmony Hub (and all their different versions) support Bluetooth. Why has Logitech and/or Sony not made this work with the PS4? It works with the PS3.

Second, does the PS4 keep the USB powered up, or does it power down like the PS3? I was thinking there might be something that could be done with FLIRC to make it work. I've been pretty impressed with the flexibility of FLIRC.
If you leave the PS4 in Rest mode it will keep power to the USB ports and you can decide in the settings if they are off, always on or if they stop being powered at 3 hours. As far as Bluetooth goes, even the Sony PS4 headsets can't use Bluetooth, they are paired with a dongle, not sure why they abandoned Bluetooth and IR.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #106 of 207 Old 01-09-2015, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think a lot of it is security paranoia after the PS3. They've locked it down tight right off the bat, and will slowly start opening things up over time, in a way that they can control.

I wouldn't be surprised if the remote control protocol got more opened up after PlayStation Vue launches. If I remember right it is launching only on PS4 at first. If they want this to replace your cable subscription you would think at some point they would have to allow remote controls, or at the very least, release their own.
post #107 of 207 Old 01-12-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post
With only one game that I want to play, and nothing of any note on the horizon, the PS4 will become a paperweight, for me. Its not much of a Entertainment Console. In that respect the PS3 is superior. I'll return the PS4 until Sony makes some improvements and I can use my expensive line of Harmony remotes.
Currently, the only reason to get a PS4 is for gaming. Other devices (including the PS3) offer far superior entertainment device capability.

I have a PS4, bought about a month and a half ago, and I have 5 games for it (1 bought, 1 upgraded from PS3, 3 free from PS+) but over the coming year there are several games I want. I still have my PS3 hooked up because of it's better multi-media capabilities. (and I'm still playing a bunch of PS3 games too)

Hopefully Sony will get on the ball and deliver downloads for DLNA, CD and MP3 playback. (and support for external HDD's) but I'm not holding my breath.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #108 of 207 Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I just ran across the FLIRC devise a couple days ago and have it in my Amazon wishlist. I found this link that explains setting it up for the PS4. I know very litte about it, but with what you know, would this work? https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...Flirc-with-PS4
post #109 of 207 Old 01-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I just ran across the FLIRC devise a couple days ago and have it in my Amazon wishlist. I found this link that explains setting it up for the PS4. I know very litte about it, but with what you know, would this work? https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...Flirc-with-PS4
Well, the Flirc is no longer on my wish list, I should have it this Friday. I don't have a Harmony remote, but have an Acoustic Research XSight & I'll see how or if this combination works with the PS4.
post #110 of 207 Old 01-15-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Well, the Flirc is no longer on my wish list, I should have it this Friday. I don't have a Harmony remote, but have an Acoustic Research XSight & I'll see how or if this combination works with the PS4.
I'm anxious to hear how it goes. If it works at all I'll def spend a few dollars to hold me over until official support comes.

Help me, AVS Forum. You're my only Hope.....

My Current Setup
post #111 of 207 Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I just added it to my Amazon Wish List, pending your testing.

I use the IR4PS3 on my PS3 with my Harmony Remote (The IR4PS3 Works just as promised)

This seems like it would be a similar option.
post #112 of 207 Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post
I just added it to my Amazon Wish List, pending your testing.

I use the IR4PS3 on my PS3 with my Harmony Remote (The IR4PS3 Works just as promised)

This seems like it would be a similar option.
I'll definitely let ya'll know how it goes. Hopefully this weekend.
DarrellG likes this.
post #113 of 207 Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I'm completely re-editing this post.

Understanding that this is a thread about Harmony remote controls and operation of the PS4, I'm posting this information here, hoping that much of it will also apply to those remotes. I have never had a Harmony and am currently using an AR XSight Touch. Here's what I've learned.

The Flirc will definitely work within the PS4 Home screen and within Blu-ray operation. At first I didn't think it worked for Blu-ray, but found that the DS4 needs to be shut off. If it's not shut off, the Flirc will allow control of the Home screen, but not Blu-ray operation. I do not yet know of a way to power up the PS4 with the Flirc, so it must either be powered on manually, or with the use of the DS4. Then the DS4 must be turned off within the devices menu of the PS4.

Plan ahead to set up your universal remote. The buttons you plan to use need to have something in them, whether it's learned code, or from some other source. At this point, I don’t believe it really matters what you learn from, all you're going to end up doing is "teaching" the Flirc from the codes that your universal remote learns from a “temporary” remote control and map those unique codes to the full keyboard of the Flirc software.

What you do need to keep in mind is that there are a limited number of buttons on the DS4 that control multiple operations of the PS4. A case in point; there are not direct mappings of the DS4 L2 and R2 buttons that control fast forward and reverse, but the directional pad left and right keys on the DS4 perform the same operations. Where this comes into play, is you will probably want to use your left/right/up/down/select directional pad for Home menu navigation. However, the code for the left and right directional pad is also rewind and fast forward. With this in mind, I taught my universal remote the same code for the left directional button as I did for the rewind directional button. Same for the right button and the fast forward button. Now I can use the fast forward and reverse buttons when playing a Blu-ray instead of the left and right buttons on the navigation pad. I did the same for buttons I created on the touch screen. The AR remote has hard buttons for Guide, Menu, Info, and Exit, but I also duplicated those keys on the touchscreen. No reason other than I had the real estate available. Again, I taught the hard Menu button, and the touch screen menu button the same code. Same for the other three buttons.
Here’s an edited version of the Flirc / PS4 settings I linked in an earlier post. Below, I show more info in regards to the PS4 buttons and how I set up my remote:

Action to perform: Keyboard key for mapping: Corresponding PS4 button: My remote:
On Screen Display........F1................................. .“Triangle”........................Info
Back..........................ESC................. ...............“O”............................ .....Exit
BR pop-up menu..........F2.................................. “Square"..........................Menu
BR disk options............F3............................. ......“Options”........................Guide
Pause / Play................< Backspace.....................“O”............. ...................Play and Pause
Enter / Select..............Enter......................... .......“X”................................Nav. “OK”
Up.............................Up arrow...........................directional pad Up...........Nav. “Up”
Left...........................Left arrow..........................directional pad left...........Nav. “Left”
Right.........................Right arrow.........................directional pad right........Nav. “Right”
Down.........................Down arrow........................directional pad down.......Nav. “Down”
Share ........................Prt Sc/SysRq........................Share

I didn't map the Share button. I don’t used it, and I don’t know where the Prt SC/SysRq is on the full keyboard of the Flirc software. Perhaps Wake or F13.

Good luck to anyone trying this. I’m sure there’s much more to learn & this is my first attempt.
DarrellG likes this.

Last edited by curtlots; 01-18-2015 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Edited for new (correct) information
post #114 of 207 Old 01-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for testing, is a shame to hear it doesn't work for blu ray playback.

How much did you test of Netflix? Can you navigate around the app, play shows, fast-forward/rewind, return back to the netflix menu etc? And also return back to the PS Menu (PS Button)

Last edited by 5loth; 01-18-2015 at 12:18 PM.
post #115 of 207 Old 01-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Update; I am able to use the Flirc for BD control. I'll edit my post above when I get this settled...
DarrellG likes this.
post #116 of 207 Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the update. I'll be picking up a FLIRC later this week or early next week once they arrive in stock locally, I can then post results with the Harmony remote.
post #117 of 207 Old 01-19-2015, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5loth View Post
Thanks for testing, is a shame to hear it doesn't work for blu ray playback.

How much did you test of Netflix? Can you navigate around the app, play shows, fast-forward/rewind, return back to the netflix menu etc? And also return back to the PS Menu (PS Button)
You can do all of that except get back to the PS Home screen.
post #118 of 207 Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Awesome, I'll be picking one up with my next Amazon order, probably in a week or so.

Do you have to keep this plugged into the PS4 or does it just need a power source? I currently have a 4 port USB hub hooked up to the USB on my cable box which I use to charge my PS4 controllers.
post #119 of 207 Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

You will need to plug it in to one of the USB ports on the front of the PS4, but you will need to get a USB extender cable, because the body of the Flirc is too large to fit into the narrow recess where the USB ports are located on the PS4.
DarrellG likes this.
post #120 of 207 Old 01-19-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You can do all of that except get back to the PS Home screen.
Hmm, the Flirc website lists this in the key mappings:

"Pause/Break - moves you back to inserted disc in the main menu"

I'm assuming that would be a suitable alternative? Basically I just don't want to end up stuck in the Netflix app once I open it, as I was hoping to also use other video player apps (NBA Game Time primarily).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page