PS4 and Harmony remote? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
post #181 of 203 Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Has anyone figured out how to power the unit on? It's great that I can use my remote now but without the power on function it's kind of useless.

I use my TVs HDMI-CEC function so when I change the input to the PS4 HDMI source the system will turn on automatically. I think this integration is a pretty dependent on the TV you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 203 Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Has anyone figured out how to power the unit on? It's great that I can use my remote now but without the power on function it's kind of useless.
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but Sony has a PlayStation App for iOS (probably Android too, but I can't say that for sure) that can be used as a "second screen" when paired with your PS4. It has limited functionality as a remote (text entry is probably the most useful feature that I've seen so far). It can also be used to power on a PS4 that is in rest mode.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS4, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200,
Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #183 of 203 Old 06-08-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
You can use the ps4 app to Power it on.
post #184 of 203 Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player2 View Post
I use my TVs HDMI-CEC function so when I change the input to the PS4 HDMI source the system will turn on automatically. I think this integration is a pretty dependent on the TV you have.
Yea I applied that and I guess it works but the remote doesn't connect with blue tooth right away a freezes. The whole thing just seems buggy. I have a seperate blu ray player that I use for movies so I haven't had much of a need to play around with it but for right now it just doesn't work well.
post #185 of 203 Old 06-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The app solution is a bit useless. The whole point of the universal remote it to have a one remote solution, might as well just get up and turn it on.

I plan on turning a spare bedroom into a home theater in the next couple months and I only want to use the PS4 for blu ray, hopefully I get the kinks sorted by then. Honestly, the power on function isn't that big of a deal because you have to turn on the unit to put a movie in anyway. Just nitpicking I guess. The power off function does work flawlessly though.
post #186 of 203 Old 06-09-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm SOL too b/c my older Harmony's - which I love - aren't covered, nor is the PS3 adapter. Grrrrrrr.

I have a Harmony Smart Control (the one with no touch screen, + the hub thing) and no matter what I can't get it to stay paired (remote to hub).

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #187 of 203 Old 06-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
In that case, you're gonna have to keep being sad, Marksaw. These people want you to spend money, not save it.
I'd pay for a new BD remote if they made one for PS4. And you should play Destiny
Rakesh.S likes this.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
post #188 of 203 Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
How is that working for you?

It works for me in that in turns my PS4 on but the only problem I have is that no matter which activity I select on my Harmony when the TV and AVR are in an off state it always turns my PS4 on.

I have a Panasonic Plasma and Denon AVR with HDMI control turned on - as soon as the AVR/TV is turned on so is the PS4 even if selecting another activity from my Harmony. Let me know if you had better success and how you did it.
post #189 of 203 Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have a dumb question. If the ps4 is Bluetooth and smartphones have Bluetooth why can we use phones as a remote control?
post #190 of 203 Old 06-11-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I'm SOL too b/c my older Harmony's - which I love - aren't covered, nor is the PS3 adapter. Grrrrrrr.

I have a Harmony Smart Control (the one with no touch screen, + the hub thing) and no matter what I can't get it to stay paired (remote to hub).
Solved the pairing problem by rebooting my router. Everything works as it should (though the fact that the remote can't turn the PS4 on really sucks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
I have a dumb question. If the ps4 is Bluetooth and smartphones have Bluetooth why can we use phones as a remote control?
You can with the Sony app.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #191 of 203 Old 06-11-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
How is that working for you?

It works for me in that in turns my PS4 on but the only problem I have is that no matter which activity I select on my Harmony when the TV and AVR are in an off state it always turns my PS4 on.

I have a Panasonic Plasma and Denon AVR with HDMI control turned on - as soon as the AVR/TV is turned on so is the PS4 even if selecting another activity from my Harmony. Let me know if you had better success and how you did it.

So do you have all of your devices (TV, PS4...etc) going to the receiver and then one HDMI from the receiver to the TV so the TV is always tuned to the same HDMI input?

I have mine separated where Audio goes to Receiver and Video goes to TV.

Maybe that could be the issue?
post #192 of 203 Old 06-18-2015, 11:09 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
So do you have all of your devices (TV, PS4...etc) going to the receiver and then one HDMI from the receiver to the TV so the TV is always tuned to the same HDMI input?

I have mine separated where Audio goes to Receiver and Video goes to TV.

Maybe that could be the issue?
I think that is the issue. I have a couple of devices where I have separated the audio and video as I ran out of HDMI inputs on my receiver and if I start up one of those activities the PS4 doesn't automatically turn on. I suppose I could separate the audio and video on the PS4 but then I would lose HD audio so I think for the time being I'll live with the inability to power on the PS4 with the remote.
post #193 of 203 Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 AM

Does anyone have one of the home control remotes that can comment on how well it does or does not work.

Did some searching this weekend and it appears a lot of people are having issues.
post #194 of 203 Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Does anyone have one of the home control remotes that can comment on how well it does or does not work.

Did some searching this weekend and it appears a lot of people are having issues.
I am on here in a hunt to see if I can fix all the problems I am having. Bought a PS4 a couple of weeks ago and thought the new Harmony's would work fine. Picked up a Harmony Ultimate Home and the dang thing can't do basic play/pause using the hard buttons on the remote.

Go to https://support.myharmony.com/en/har...-playstation-4 and go down and open the "+" by the Blu-ray Player app and see the limitations listed. I have tried the "double click the PS button" and it doesn't work for me.

If I can't figure something out I will return the Harmony. $350 for no control is really ridiculous. I would avoid until the Harmony site shows actual control of movie playback.
post #195 of 203 Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoyme View Post
I am on here in a hunt to see if I can fix all the problems I am having. Bought a PS4 a couple of weeks ago and thought the new Harmony's would work fine. Picked up a Harmony Ultimate Home and the dang thing can't do basic play/pause using the hard buttons on the remote.

Go to https://support.myharmony.com/en/har...-playstation-4 and go down and open the "+" by the Blu-ray Player app and see the limitations listed. I have tried the "double click the PS button" and it doesn't work for me.

If I can't figure something out I will return the Harmony. $350 for no control is really ridiculous. I would avoid until the Harmony site shows actual control of movie playback.

Could be an issue with the PS4 itself. I bought a remote awhile back to be able to control the PS4 for blu ray playback and it also didnt work within the bluray app. The media buttons worked fine for other apps and DVD but no with the bluray. Thought it was odd and returned it.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #196 of 203 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJRHSZO/

Anyone seen this yet? Now all we will need a rf to bt adapter right?
post #197 of 203 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Solved the pairing problem by rebooting my router. Everything works as it should (though the fact that the remote can't turn the PS4 on really sucks).
Mine won't stay paired no matter what I do.
post #198 of 203 Old Today, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJRHSZO/

Anyone seen this yet? Now all we will need a rf to bt adapter right?
It actually looks like a pretty nice remote! Complete control of the PS4 and limited universal capabilities to boot.
post #199 of 203 Unread Today, 10:43 AM

I hope the official remote will now lead to a better alternative for Harmony. I am still holding out hope that I can just by an adapter so my Harmony One can control the PS4 similar to the adapter I bought for the PS3.
post #200 of 203 Unread Today, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 348
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ober/#/slide/1

new remote is official. Available in Oct.

Details per the release
Spoiler!

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #201 of 203 Unread Today, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ober/#/slide/1

new remote is official. Available in Oct.

Details per the release
Spoiler!
Finally! Preordered it.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
post #202 of 203 Unread Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post
Finally! Preordered it.
Ditto!

Xbox Live Gamertag: JShmoopy
PSN ID: JShmoopy
post #203 of 203 Unread Today, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hopefully Logitech will get the Bluetooth codes so that we can use our remotes with the Bluetooth adapter.

PSN ID: Onedropshot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page