PS4 and Harmony remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 94 Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know if the harmony remote adapter for ps3 will work with the ps4?

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
From what everyone is saying Sony came out and said the PS3 BD remote will not work with the PS4 so many are assuming the Harmony adapter will not work with the PS4 either.

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my modest theater -
post #3 of 94 Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Yep, it is not looking good. I'm still going to give it a shot so I'll report my results sometime this weekend.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #4 of 94 Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Yep, it is not looking good. I'm still going to give it a shot so I'll report my results sometime this weekend.

Nice, I do not have the PS3 adapter (I just dealt with using a separate remote for BD's on the PS3), but I do have a Harmony 900 and if it works I will get one.

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #5 of 94 Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
According to Logitech, since they have no information from Sony, none of their current Remotes will work with the PS4. The Ultimate and Smart Control, being bluetooth, will probably need a software update to make them compatible. The remainder, 900 included, will probably need a new adapter. These are good financial times for the makers of accessories.
The PS3 is a superior Entertainment console, to the PS4, possessing DLNA & mp3 capability among other things. I don't even know if the PS4 is able to play avi, mp4 or other video files from external HD.
For the hard core gamer the PS4 is a superior machine. But, since there are no "wow" games available at launch I find no rush to buy.
post #6 of 94 Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I sat there wondering myself as it hadn't popped in my head yet till I went to watch a movie yesterday. Sony is trying to push their streaming service for both music and movies. They can enable both via a firmware update and out of the box it has dvd and blu-ray movies not able to play till you update the firmware upon setup. CD's are still not playable and only 4k is avl for future blu-rays and not for games currently. I could only image how life like it would be after seeing the screen shots from MLB the show comparing its graphics from the ps3 to the ps4. I have had ps since day 1 but only bought the 3 since it was the best bluray player around and the ps4 for 4k movies. I really hope the harmony adapter works so I don't have to buy a new one and reprogram my 890 pro. It's been awhile since I've set it up originally to go back and do it all again. Sony doesn't show anywhere a compatible remote like it did for ps3 so maybe we will get lucky and just have an update possibly for current harmony extenders to work.
post #7 of 94 Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 AM

The Harmony adapter, definitely (IMO), will not work as there is no way to update it OR unless Sony issues a software for the adapter, and they have no reason to do so. They have said their own blue tooth remote will not work. The PS4 is being marketed as mainly a gaming console rather than a entertainment center. If my expensive Ultimate does not work, or needs an adapter, I will hold off on the purchase of the PS4 OR return the Ultimate. There's no hurry, IMO, to get a PS4 since there are no games I absolutely must have. It will take months before "must have" games are developed.
post #8 of 94 Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The removal of these multimedia capabilities on both systems will keep me from buying either of them. My PS3 is used more for Netflix than anything else. The 360 is used 99.99% of the time as a Windows Media Center extender. Looks like I'm sticking with this gen.
post #9 of 94 Old 11-12-2013, 05:16 PM

This console will play 4k movies though. I think its just going to take time. I'm hoping its just a software update for the current harmony adapter to work with the system. It is interesting that this console is so powerful and will do Ultra Def they say will only be avl for movies and games will only be able to take advantage of 1080p so saying this is strictly a gamers console I don't think I'd go that far. I think they are just holding off so people will try their video and music service but updates will come out. Granted 4k tv's just came out so as they start to catch on I think a lot more entertainment features will be pushed to the console via software updates. Main reason I bought it was for the 4k movies and will also up convert movies if you have the tv. They just released the new hdmi standard for Ultra Def but it is just a firmware update and no actual hardware upgrade which is nice. Anything with hdmi 1.4 and has an internet connection most manufacturers will start rolling out the update to make it HDMI 2.0 compliant to take the most out of the Ultra Def experience. This console also has USB 3.0 so I think there is a lot more to this than just gaming and we will see it but maybe not right off the bat.
post #10 of 94 Old 11-13-2013, 06:32 AM

My point exactly. Nothing it appears will be "right off the bat". Sony has to cooperate with Logitech to issue a software update for the adapter to work. They will be too busy trying to solve "teething" problems , real and imaginary, from fanatical gamers to deal with trivial problems. I really don't see any downside to continue using the PS3 as the Entertainment device. I am getting my PS4 from Costco which has a 3 month return policy. After Christmas there will be plenty of PS4 available. People will be too broke to buy.biggrin.gif
post #11 of 94 Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 832
One thing to take solace in; from here on out these issues most likely won’t arise since the platform has transitioned to X86.

Unless some crazy new hardware computing technology comes around, they’ll probably stick with it, which means they no longer have to rebuild the OS (and it’s feature set) from scratch every generational change.

So no more excuses after this go.
post #12 of 94 Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57611849-221/confirmed-ps4-wont-work-with-ir-remote-controls/
Quote:
Apparently one of the more annoying inconveniences of the PS3 will be sticking around for another generation.

A Sony representative confirmed to CNET that the PS4 cannot receive infrared (IR) remote control commands, which means it won't work with a traditional universal remote such as the Logitech Harmony 650. We were also unable to find an IR receptor on our PS4 review unit, and Sony says the PS4 Eye camera can't receive IR commands either.

It's an irksome omission, especially for a living room device that can play Blu-ray movies and stream video from services like Netflix, where some (including me) find a traditional remote easier to use. In fact, the lack of an IR receiver on the PS3 resulted in an entirely new subgenre of products -- the IR-to-Bluetooth converter box -- culminating in dedicated PS3 support from some universal remotes, such as the Logitech Harmony Smart Control.

The problem may be less of an issue this generation, however, especially if Logitech adds direct PS4 control to the Harmony Smart Control. Sony is also planning to sell a Bluetooth remote control, similar to what the company offered for the PS3. Sony has already confirmed the PS3 remote will not be compatible with the PS4.

For all those keeping score at home, the Xbox One is capable of receiving IR commands, although it has its own nitpicky limitations, such as not being able to play 3D Blu-ray movies at launch.
post #13 of 94 Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Maybe the camera can be programed for the phrase "Bathroom Break" and it will pause the movie. Thats the only real reason I would need a remote controll really. I find it faster to navigate netflix with the controller anyway. My harmony has become an expensive volume switch at this point. Seems every year I remove a device from my HT setup.
post #14 of 94 Old 11-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Liked: 832
That's a pretty expensive pause button.

I honestly think the most use the camera will get is from people wanting to stream and dab in their own social media commentary, and eventually video calling. Sony really should make a move to get Skype and Google hangout up and running, once they get everything else settled.
post #15 of 94 Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Expensive is right. I paid 50 bucks for that logitech ps3 to Blutooth converter when it was first released. The camera is not much more.
This is just the price we have to pay to be able to take a bathroom break.
post #16 of 94 Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 12
This is going to annoy my anal retentive side until we have some sort of solution. I used the IR4PS3 to get the PS3 working with my Harmony One and past remotes. Not being to turn everything on with one button will both me.

It does use bluetooth though, so in theory maybe someone could engineer another IR to BT solution like some savvy people did when the PS3 first came out?

I thought about moving from the Harmony One to the Touch (though I hadn't read enough about the Touch yet to determine that), but I am putting all that on hold till a solid PS4 remote solution is found.
post #17 of 94 Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 PM

If I were you, just my opinion, instead of going to the Touch, which is IR, I would go to the Bluetooth, RF remotes. I upgraded to the Smart, from the One, and have never regretted. No more pointing and waiting for everything to start.
post #18 of 94 Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK. I have set up my PS4 and turned on the Logitech Bluetooth Harmony Adapter. The PS4 sees the adapter and can connect to it as "BD Remote Control". But when I issue commands from my Harmony (with the PS3 setup) it does not work. So there needs to be a way to get the correct commands.
post #19 of 94 Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNelson View Post

OK. I have set up my PS4 and turned on the Logitech Bluetooth Harmony Adapter. The PS4 sees the adapter and can connect to it as "BD Remote Control". But when I issue commands from my Harmony (with the PS3 setup) it does not work. So there needs to be a way to get the correct commands.

At least that is a start. Hopefully logitech can get it worked out. I like controlling bluray/ streaming with the remote because the controller inevitably would fall off my lap and screw something up.

My Theater build

xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #20 of 94 Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 PM

With only one game that I want to play, and nothing of any note on the horizon, the PS4 will become a paperweight, for me. Its not much of a Entertainment Console. In that respect the PS3 is superior. I'll return the PS4 until Sony makes some improvements and I can use my expensive line of Harmony remotes.
post #21 of 94 Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post

If I were you, just my opinion, instead of going to the Touch, which is IR, I would go to the Bluetooth, RF remotes. I upgraded to the Smart, from the One, and have never regretted. No more pointing and waiting for everything to start.

I really don't want to use my phone. I don't know that the ultimate is in my price range. So I may just be waiting till this PS4 thing is resolved and any potentially new BT/RF controllers or hubs. From what I read the Touch kind of sounds like a POS when it comes to button positioning.
post #22 of 94 Old 11-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Tried it yesterday since the PSN was down and I could not do $%^&, anyhow it recognizes it as a BD remote but does not respond to any commands... as someone indicated above it would not.
post #23 of 94 Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 AM

I was looking through the PS4 settings and I saw a enable HDMI Link (I believe that's what it's called) option on there. If I'm not mistaken that's supposed to allow you to use your tv remote in order to control the PS4? Maybe there's a workaround with that?
post #24 of 94 Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgnthru View Post

I was looking through the PS4 settings and I saw a enable HDMI Link (I believe that's what it's called) option on there. If I'm not mistaken that's supposed to allow you to use your tv remote in order to control the PS4? Maybe there's a workaround with that?

My guess is that that's Sony's name for hdmi-cec which is supposed to be a universal protocol for interoperability between devices. In practice it's usually a **** show and never works the way it should, at least in my experience. I always go back to my Harmony and turn all the cec stuff off in all my devices.

Hopefully Logitech gets a BT remote adapter out for the ps4 ASAP.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #25 of 94 Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have HDMI-CEC working with my harmony (added a vizio tv and just said to leave it on all the time) but my vizio tv will not wake the ps4 from sleep when switching to its input.
post #26 of 94 Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Any word on off the Ultimate Remote with the Hub will work in eventually controlling the PS4?

post #27 of 94 Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgnthru View Post

this kind of works. when my tv and amp are already on, eg if I am watching tv, and I turn on the ps4, the amp automatically switches the input to the ps4. if I turn the ps4 on while the system is off, the amp does something but does not turn fully on. however switching to the ps 4 input using the harmony will not wake the ps4. connecting to my playstation app on my smart phone also wakes the ps4 and changes the inputs if on....

SPS '98

I LOVE BEST BUY

post #28 of 94 Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Any word on off the Ultimate Remote with the Hub will work in eventually controlling the PS4?

I hope they get support for the PS4 soon. I just bought the ultimate and would hate to think that it will not support future hardware.
post #29 of 94 Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I asked this question over on the Logitech forums and eventually got this official response from them:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Ultimate-Harmony-Smart/Important-Harmony-and-the-Sony-Playstation-4/td-p/1130759
Quote:
Sony Playstation 4 was launched in North America today. Unfortunately the official Sony BD Remote which operated with the Playstation 3 does not currently work on the Playstation 4 and therefore the Harmony Hub that ships with Harmony Ultimate and Harmony Smart Control are also not compatible.

We are as excited as you are about complete home control and will continue to look for other ways to control this game console. This may require a software update from Harmony in 2014, a software update from Sony to enable Bluetooth controllers, or possibly both.

Best regards,
The Harmony Team

Tip: If you have a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard, they will pair and can navigate the Sony Playstation 4 interface; however the Playstation cannot be woken up from standby mode using Bluetooth. You can add the device to your myharmony.com account and create a play game activity so you are able to still have a setup for the Sony Playstation 4.
tezster likes this.

XBOX
| PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #30 of 94 Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I think Sony should've worked with its 3rd party partners pre-launch to make all this ready.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page