Madden Reviews? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Why is it that Madden can be purchased for the PS4 at most stores right now yet there is no gameplay footage or reviews out there?

C'Mon EA SPORTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Well, to be fair, there aren't that many reviews yet for tons of the next-gen games. Sure, a few reivews are starting to trickle out for Knack and Kilzone and such, but the EA Sports games aren't the only ones without reviews.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Because most of the next gen Madden reviews will be done on the XBone I suspect.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought for sure when I was listening to an IGN podcast, they said that they will have every PS4 launch game reviewed (The ones actually available on the 15th), by Friday morning on the website. I think they said 90 percent of them will be on there by Thursday the 14th. So hopefully we should get some reviews really soon.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
It's a current gen port so I'm not really expecting anything great from the EA launch lineup.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Well, to be fair, there aren't that many reviews yet for tons of the next-gen games. Sure, a few reivews are starting to trickle out for Knack and Kilzone and such, but the EA Sports games aren't the only ones without reviews.

Actually there are plenty of FIFA reviews. but no Madden.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone happened to see any real live gameplay footage yet?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

So, on twitch yesterday, Game Informer did a live stream, where two of the guys were playing Madden. I'm at work right now, so can't post a link, but if you Google twitch game informer ps4 live stream, I'm sure you'll find it. I think it was at the 1:50:00 mark of the video that they started playing Madden.

Now, the video was not impressive. In fact, it was downright depressing. I think it's safe to say that after seeing that, it's pretty obvious why EA Sports has avoided showing normal gameplay for the game. It just doesn't look very next-gen at all. There just isn't any way around it.

One caveat I will speak to however, is that the guys decided to turn on the "rain" weather effect, and it's possible that the game just looks kinda crappy without the sunshine on the field. I know that might sound a bit ridiculous, but if you watch the stream, you'll see what I mean. I know this game can look better than that, and I actually think the lack of sunshine could be a big part of it. So, I'm still going to wait to see some reviews, but I would definitely curb your enthusiasm before buying this game. You need to have very low expectations, or you're probably going to come away extremely disappointed.

It's really quite sad that this is the scenario, because some of the more recent videos actually had me excited, and then I saw what I saw last night, and i'm like.... "damn."
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info. Watching it now and not too impressed as well. I guess I will not be buying it at launch. Maybe wait until next year I guess. A serious bummer as Madden is always a go to game for myself.

Opening gameplay footage...Jay Cutler has blonde hair haha
Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add...I HOPE EA changes what they have done and not invest so much resources on the crowd. I could care less about the crowd.

More player realism. More real life animations. facial expressions. breathing...let's evolve please.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

...and on another note. NBA 2K14 followed madden and it looks really good. I am quite impressed!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I thought the Madden looked quite good.

Not sure what else they could have done. It's football, it just kinda looks like... football.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

I thought the Madden looked quite good.

Not sure what else they could have done. It's football, it just kinda looks like... football.

Did you see the stream ?

I was especially disappointed with many of the player models. For example, Jamaal Charles looked nothing like Jamaal Charles. Skin tone was way off, they didn't have his dreads (or they weren't noticeable), and his face looked nothing like the real Jamaal Charles. Also, Brandon Marshall for the Chicago Bears looked very weird to me. Something with his neck seemed really weird, and I noticed this with a bunch of the other players and their necks looking very strange.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I did watch the stream, but didn't notice the things you mention. If they were showing the Cowboys and a bunch of faces, etc would have been off I would have noticed.

That is disturbing.

Well, at least NBA 2K14 is a true Next-Gen Gem, from all indications.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 122
For serious impressions of Madden (or any other sports game) you really should just go to operationsports.com.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

For serious impressions of Madden (or any other sports game) you really should just go to operationsports.com.

Thanks for the link...but there are ZERO next gen reviews.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ha. EA clearly did not allow anyone to review it's games before day one after release...to be sure not to effect pre order sales! Hopefully the smart ones did not preorder digital copies or have not opened the game.

I still want to play it...by rental only.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny, a majority of the impressions (by actual gamers) on the thread I linked are happier than not. And before anyone claims differently, OS is more likely to eviscerate an EA game (particularly Madden) than anyone. So I tend to give it more weight.

I haven't bought a Madden game (or any sports game for that matter) in years, but I'm feeling a little tempted here. Since I don't even have a PS4 yet I will be waiting for a much clearer picture before getting anything though.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just walked out of Target with it. (Buy 2 get one free and all).

I'll give an honest, AVS opinion sometime this weekend for ya!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, I still want to rent the game. The IGN guy seemed to have a number of complaints that it didn't have the "feel" of the 360, PS3 version, and that he couldn't do the same things that he could do on 360 or PS3. In a round about way, he was almost complaining that it was "too realistic". That you can no longer cut on a dime with your running backs, and he was used to being able to have that kind of control, and he just doesn't have that control in this version because of the whole "true step" thing.

I haven't played Madden in many years, so for me, those complaints don't mean anything, because I'm starting from scratch.

I want to rent the game at Redbox, but can't find any redbox machines with PS4 games.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am going to try gamely...but if it is anything like it was for me several years ago...then I will be done with it after a month.

This is that all new popular games are not available. So we will see what it will be like next week....
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Also regarding redbox...there is a coming soon list - http://www.redbox.com/games/comingsoon - which shows no next gen games.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Redbox will only be testing PS4 games in a select few cities later this month or in December. According to their Facebook page, Redbox has yet to make a decision on a rollout of next gen games at their kiosks.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post

Redbox will only be testing PS4 games in a select few cities later this month or in December. According to their Facebook page, Redbox has yet to make a decision on a rollout of next gen games at their kiosks.

DAMMIT!

Where's blockbuster when you need them, lol.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody played Madden yet? I wanted to rent the game, but unfortunately Redbox doesn't have PS4 games yet (and might not get them till 2014 sometime frown.gif ) I've seen a bunch of videos and such, and the game seems to be a bit underwhelming, but at the same time, it seems there are some guys out there that are pleasantly surprised by it. I'd like to see some more reviews of the game, but still haven't seen very many.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have madden and I can tell you that I'm impressed with it visually and gameplay it's better than I expected way better than the ps3 version.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I played a few games of madden this weekend, the grahics are crisper, game motion is faster. Is it wayyyyy better than the ps3 version NO. What's killing me is the fact the I will have to now shell out $50 to play, punks, cheaters and a host of other morons who play (cheat) through out the whole game ..I just want a honest enjoyanble game, i dont care if you go fot it on 4th down here or there under 3 yards but 4-15 4-10 from your side of the field make it just ruins the game. Now i have to pay to be annoyed by the guy who goes for it on EVERY 4th down or runs the same 3 plays over and over and over...then quits when I start destorying his shabby game. eek.gif
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate to repeat myself, but go to operationsports.com if you want to find people that try to play the game the right way Best sports gaming site I have been around, bar none. With any online game a huge amount of the enjoyment is finding like-minded people to play against. Going up against randoms is a sure way to just frustrate the hell out of yourself. I haven't played Madden in a few years but if I do pick it up (no PS4 yet) that's where I'll go.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

So, on Wednesday night, I ended up getting Madden for the PS4. It was an exchange from the Target B2G1 deal, so it only cost me about $42, so I figured it was worth the gamble. Figured in a worst case scenario I sell it for $35 on Craigslist and take a $7 hit on it.

Turns out, the game is actually pretty decent. I think it's far better than the cruel joke that was played on us 8 years ago with Madden 2006 on the Xbox 360. What a joke that game was. This one is actually relatively decent. I haven't played too many games yet, so I'm sure I'll find tons of stuff to nitpick on, but overall I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the game. I must freely admit that I haven't really played a Madden game since I think Madden 2009. It's been a long time for me. So maybe a bunch of the stuff that is impressing me is also found in the 360/PS3 version, and I'm just not aware of it. Maybe me coming into it brand new after not playing for several years is to this games advantage. Whatever the case, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's not up to the level of NBA 2K14, but it doesn't suck.

Score one for lowered expectations !