PS4 Bitstream apparently broken - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So hidden in a settings menu when you play a BD is a menu to select between PCM and Bitstream (do not confuse with Audio setting in the settings menu), when I selected Bitstream the audio came across as DTS, verified by looking at the info menu on the movie. When I set it back to PCM, info menu audio output changed to DTS-HD. Anyone get the feeling the software and console was rushed to market, you current gen product is missing so much functionality then your previous gen product. If you want to a game only console then lower the price. Many of us used the PS3 as our main BD player and media center, and now all that stuff is missing from the PS4. Sucks. Hindsight, I wish I could get an Xbox One but not dropping $499 for a media center PC as I use the PS4 for gaming exclusively, but who knows Xbox One may have it's own issues as well....

Edit: Another memeber said it worked as advertised, will go play with some settings, I hope I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I have no idea why Grown Ups 2 did not work but another BD did! anyhow the menu u want is when the BD is playing, hit "Options" on the controller, there you will be able to select Bitstream. Sorry for the confusion.
post #3 of 44 Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 179
glad you figured it out but for everyone else see below. This should prob be stickied someplace as lots of people are prob gonna get confused by it

in the main Sound options (from the XMB) leave the audio option set to linear PCM

start a blu-ray
hit the options button
go to settings
go to audio formats
select Bitstream (Direct)

working fine on my onkyo 818 over HDMI
post #4 of 44 Old 11-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBas View Post

Ok, I have no idea why Grown Ups 2 did not work but another BD did! anyhow the menu u want is when the BD is playing, hit "Options" on the controller, there you will be able to select Bitstream. Sorry for the confusion.

Yup works! Thank you!! I was worried at first that you would have to set it for every BD but the setting are kept after switching to multiple other discs. NICE!!
post #5 of 44 Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have to play around with the audiio settings as well. When outputting linear pcm for games, i can't switch to all the different audio modes my receiver has. I like to play in Dolby Digital PLIIx so i can take advantage of my 7.1 set up.

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #6 of 44 Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone else seeing 48 khz when viewing the details of their True HD or DTS-MA tracks? What happened to 96 khz?
post #7 of 44 Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

glad you figured it out but for everyone else see below. This should prob be stickied someplace as lots of people are prob gonna get confused by it

in the main Sound options (from the XMB) leave the audio option set to linear PCM

start a blu-ray
hit the options button
go to settings
go to audio formats

working fine on my onkyo 818 over HDMI

Good to know. Thanks!!!
post #8 of 44 Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

On a side note:

The PS4 is the First Product to Support the New DTS-HD Master Audio|7.1 Decoder

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/PLaystation/PS4/DTS/The_PS4_is_the_First_Product_to_Support_the_New_DTS-HD_Master_Audio71_Decoder/13126
post #9 of 44 Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm having a different but related issue, although while gaming:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm running into a SW/FW bug, or I have an issue with my PS4 hardware. If I use optical audio out, and set DTS as the "priority", the audio works for 30+ min or so, but eventually dies completely and/or becomes stuttery (turns on/off rapidly). If I look at my receiver during this time, the OSD is flashing as if it's rapidly detecting surround mode vs. stereo in a ping-pong fashion. Restarting the PS4 resolves it temporarily.

I just updated the firmware on my Yamaha RX-A3000, and the problem still occurs. I switched to Dolby Digital as the priority, and it seems to be okay so far. Anyone else experience a similar issue yet?

EDIT: Definitely seems to be unrelated to optical vs. HDMI. I switched to HDMI, turned on DTS, and the problem persists. Switched to Dolby, and it's fine.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #10 of 44 Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
 I'm having a different but related issue, although while gaming:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm running into a SW/FW bug, or I have an issue with my PS4 hardware. If I use optical audio out, and set DTS as the "priority", the audio works for 30+ min or so, but eventually dies completely and/or becomes stuttery (turns on/off rapidly). If I look at my receiver during this time, the OSD is flashing as if it's rapidly detecting surround mode vs. stereo in a ping-pong fashion. Restarting the PS4 resolves it temporarily.

I just updated the firmware on my Yamaha RX-A3000, and the problem still occurs. I switched to Dolby Digital as the priority, and it seems to be okay so far. Anyone else experience a similar issue yet?

EDIT: Definitely seems to be unrelated to optical vs. HDMI. I switched to HDMI, turned on DTS, and the problem persists. Switched to Dolby, and it's fine.

I am having the *same exact* issue with this when the audio is set to Dolby.  When I switch it to the first setting (not Dolby or DTS) it works fine but when it is set to Dolby it becomes stuttery after a few minutes (doing the same things as Tempest).  I am also using an optical cable as well.

Tempest (or anyone), did you ever figure out a solution?

post #11 of 44 Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGNBorn View Post

I am having the *same exact* issue with this when the audio is set to Dolby.  When I switch it to the first setting (not Dolby or DTS) it works fine but when it is set to Dolby it becomes stuttery after a few minutes (doing the same things as Tempest).  I am also using an optical cable as well.

Same here. I haven't messed with it since the first day (finally just left as PCM), but it was definitely affecting me as well. I'm also using optical out to AVR.

XBL = jackalopes

PSN = ChitownJackalope

post #12 of 44 Old 11-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 11
So what are you guru's using at this point? I've got my PS4 hooked up to my Pioneer Elite VSX-70 via HDMI and I'm currently using Linear PCM (uncomporessed) and I do not notice any difference in sound quality when I go from Bitstream to Linear PCM.
post #13 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL24 View Post

So what are you guru's using at this point? I've got my PS4 hooked up to my Pioneer Elite VSX-70 via HDMI and I'm currently using Linear PCM (uncomporessed) and I do not notice any difference in sound quality when I go from Bitstream to Linear PCM.

As long as its decoding it correctly you shouldn't hear a difference. I still keep it on bitstream cause I like seeing the codec display on my receiver, but it shouldn't matter sound quality-wise,

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #14 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

As long as its decoding it correctly you shouldn't hear a difference. I still keep it on bitstream cause I like seeing the codec display on my receiver, but it shouldn't matter sound quality-wise,

I agree, I doubt we'll be able to tell the difference and I do love seeing my receiver light up with codecs displayed lol
post #15 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Think of bitstream like a ZIP file.

The ps4 has to unzip, mix in audio, then rezip and shoot it to the AVR.
the AVR then sees a ZIP file, decompresses it, applies affects, shoots it to the speakers and display the logo (all in a critical amount of time. To compensate AVRs add lip-sync and other delay controls)

If you use HDMI, LPCM saves all components from doing compression/decompression work.

Too bad the HDMI people didn't add a content-type field. So those logos can pop up while in LPCM mode.

audio people worry about this mostly.

You never hear video people want a QAM symbol when they are getting a QAM tuner signal, etc.
post #16 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM

This fix was posted earlier by a couple diff users....Put in the new Rush Blu ray last night...made changes and worked perfect!!! Onkyo 805 changed from "Multichannel" to "DTS-Master" on the display immediately...tongue.gif

In the main Sound options (from the XMB) leave the audio option set to linear PCM

start a blu-ray
hit the options button
go to settings
go to audio formats
post #17 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

I agree, I doubt we'll be able to tell the difference and I do love seeing my receiver light up with codecs displayed lol

I'm the same way, and I have my PS4 set to bitstream as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraTLboy67 View Post

In the main Sound options (from the XMB) leave the audio option set to linear PCM

You don't have to leave it set to Linear PCM, you get the BD sound options no matter what. I have my audio priority under the main settings menu set to Bitstream (DTS) and I still get all the same audio options when playing a BD.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #18 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 AM

Rolltide...good deal!! Did you try both ways and can you tell any difference?? I thought about goin to Bitstream DTS in the XMB but once everything worked I left as is...wink.gif
post #19 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM

Same issue with optical going to my Denon Receiver. Running audio via HDMI seems fine, I was thinking about reconfiguring my setup and running the audio through HDMI for this very reason.
post #20 of 44 Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So guys are you saying that if we don't change the blu-ray playback to Bitstream then we won't get DTS HD / True HD? Or are you saying that if we happen to prefer Bitstream over LPCM then we need to change it - but that we would still get the HD audio either way?
post #21 of 44 Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

So guys are you saying that if we don't change the blu-ray playback to Bitstream then we won't get DTS HD / True HD? Or are you saying that if we happen to prefer Bitstream over LPCM then we need to change it - but that we would still get the HD audio either way?

You get the HD audio either way. Either its decoded on the PS4 and sent uncompressed to the receiver, or its decoded on the receiver. Its a lossless format sent over a pure digital signal, bit for bit it should be exactly the same.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #22 of 44 Old 11-28-2013, 03:11 AM

Liked: 13
Hmmm I'm having a slightly different problem. Trying to watch Star Trek Into Darkness bluray, which is in TrueHD. No matter which way I set it to Bitstream the sound comes out all crackly and messed up, lots of intermient sound errors. Don't have any problems in the dashboard or games with bitstream but when I try and watch a bluray (though only tried this one so far) on Bitstream (even using the method in this post) and the sound is messed up. Linear PCM it is fine though. I can do the same movie either way on my Xbox One so something is wrong with bitstream for blu rays on the PS4 it seems
post #23 of 44 Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 PM

I did a bit more testing on this, and for some reason my PS4 does not like the Star Trek Into Darkness blu-ray in Bitstream! I've tried 3 or 4 other movies, in various "HD" audio formats in Bitstream on the PS4 and they all work fine. I even took my copy of the movie to a friends house to try on his PS4 and it ran completely fine in Bitstream on his PS4! So what is going on with my PS4, why does it seem to hate this one movie in Bitstream audio?
post #24 of 44 Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizman7 View Post

I did a bit more testing on this, and for some reason my PS4 does not like the Star Trek Into Darkness blu-ray in Bitstream! I've tried 3 or 4 other movies, in various "HD" audio formats in Bitstream on the PS4 and they all work fine. I even took my copy of the movie to a friends house to try on his PS4 and it ran completely fine in Bitstream on his PS4! So what is going on with my PS4, why does it seem to hate this one movie in Bitstream audio?

What receiver do you have?
post #25 of 44 Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:

What receiver do you have?

Pioneer VSX-91TXH
post #26 of 44 Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 AM

I'm using denon avr1911 and ps4. I have 5.1 audio system.

Ps4 has 3 different audio options: dts, dolby, linear pcm. Should I use linear pcm?

No matter what I choose I get 5.1 out only from dvd movie. I haven't got any games yet so don't know about that. Main menu and music player isn't 5.1. It sound like it's playing in a tunnel. Changing the dvd bitstream-setting doesn't help. Main menu for example sound still like ****.

Is this same problem as all of you guys? I'm not sure what's the main problem and I'm not sure is it something related to av receiver..
post #27 of 44 Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizman7 View Post

Pioneer VSX-91TXH

That's strange, I'm running my PS4 through my Pioneer Elite VSX-70 and have had zero issues. What HDMI cables are you using? How have you calibrated your MCACC settings?
post #28 of 44 Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:

That's strange, I'm running my PS4 through my Pioneer Elite VSX-70 and have had zero issues. What HDMI cables are you using? How have you calibrated your MCACC settings?

Yeah, and it's only Star Trek Into Darkness so far that has issues on PS4, and only in Bitstream mode setting IN the blu-ray player app itself. I don't know the exact model but I'm using Monster Cable THX certified HDMI cables. Yeah, I did the MCACC calibration long ago. That disc works fine on the Xbox One in Bitstream, and more puzzling, it works fine on my friends PS4 in Bitstream mode!
post #29 of 44 Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I watched Star Trek the other night and bitstream led to terrible lip sync issues for me. Switched back to PCM and it was fine. Haven't watched anything else in bitstream, so wondering if it's just an issue with Star Trek.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #30 of 44 Old 12-09-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfrolf View Post

I'm using denon avr1911 and ps4. I have 5.1 audio system.

Ps4 has 3 different audio options: dts, dolby, linear pcm . Should I use linear pcm?

No matter what I choose I get 5.1 out only from dvd movie. I haven't got any games yet so don't know about that. Main menu and music player isn't 5.1. It sound like it's playing in a tunnel. Changing the dvd bitstream-setting doesn't help. Main menu for example sound still like ****.

Is this same problem as all of you guys? I'm not sure what's the main problem and I'm not sure is it something related to av receiver..

I don't like that the PS4 has those limited options. The PS3 has all of the Dolby and DTS codecs to specifically choose from.

home theater addict
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page