xboxlive: BLACKSOULTRAIN or SILVERBACK XXL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2013, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Haven't shut down mine yet, besides for a few reboots. Always a good idea to burn in new CE's, especially complicated ones.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
Just wanted to put this out there, I also have been putting it into standby mode since that seems the most like the PS3 mode, since if it's actually off, you can't install updates or turn it on with the controller. Well, yesterday we had terrible storms in Illinois, and while my power didn't actually go out, it did flicker and surge, shutting off the PS4. When I turned it back by pressing the button on the system, it came up with a message that it hadn't been shut off properly, but nothing bad seemed to have happened from what I can tell. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of this, since power outages happen.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tyrant,

I have heard/read about breaking in speakers/subwoofers, but I have never heard anything on electronics.

What is the theory here? Sustained steady state operation for some amount of time, achieving what? Some type of tempering or conditioning effect for the equipment?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I leave mine on standby all day and then turn it off before I go to sleep.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #6 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

I have heard/read about breaking in speakers/subwoofers, but I have never heard anything on electronics.

What is the theory here? Sustained steady state operation for some amount of time, achieving what? Some type of tempering or conditioning effect for the equipment?

My idea is to just normal use test the hardware with use, in the hope that anything faulty with fail sooner than later. Usually with electronics faulty components will show up quickly, but if one doesn't use their device much they might no have a failure until they're out of the warranty period.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post

Just wanted to put this out there, I also have been putting it into standby mode since that seems the most like the PS3 mode, since if it's actually off, you can't install updates or turn it on with the controller. Well, yesterday we had terrible storms in Illinois, and while my power didn't actually go out, it did flicker and surge, shutting off the PS4. When I turned it back by pressing the button on the system, it came up with a message that it hadn't been shut off properly, but nothing bad seemed to have happened from what I can tell. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of this, since power outages happen.

If you do a full shutdown of the PS4 you can still turn it on with the controller.

PSN brakel

post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
I shut it down. No use putting low power hours on the hardware for no reason. Plus it specifically states that you shouldn't unplug the power cord while in standby mode. What about a power outage? I don't know what I'd lose and I don't want to find out.

500 gigs FTW.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

I shut it down. No use putting low power hours on the hardware for no reason. Plus it specifically states that you shouldn't unplug the power cord while in standby mode. What about a power outage? I don't know what I'd lose and I don't want to find out.

You won't necessarily lose anything as a result of loss of power while in standby. If it happens you get the standard tsk tsk you shut down incorrectly warning.

PSN brakel

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page