What is the state of your PS4? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What is the condition of your PS4?
It's working 75 92.59%
It came with issues but have solved them on your own. For example having to get into safe mode or fixing the bent HDMI port 1 1.23%
Came unfixable and had to send it back 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I thought I'd do this poll to see how the results will be is this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought two PS4s. One has a silent bluray drive (even when a game is installing). My second PS4, when installing a game, gets pretty loud and vibrates the console a bit. This PS4 also gets noisy when the game first boots up from the disc then quiets down. Either 2 different manufacture's drives are supplied with PS4s or the drive in my second unit is defective. Curious what others have experienced re silent vs noisy drive game installs/boot ups.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One of the reasons why I came up with the idea to do this poll is seeing the Amazon ratings for the PS4.
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Launch-Edition/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384678193&sr=8-5&keywords=ps4
I wonder if theirs a setting to only see the ratings of verified purchases. In other words ratings only from people who actually got the system from Amazon. The average rating would be fairer that way.

I do not have a NeoGaf account but if anyone does, any chance you'd post a poll their?
post #4 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Scrap one of those came back unfixable votes.

I didn't even buy one but that didn't stop my cat's paw just now from casting his vote as I was up getting a drink. There was just 1 a few seconds before when I first opened the thread and I have no vote option now and there's 2 for unfixable.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I bought two PS4s. One has a silent bluray drive (even when a game is installing). My second PS4, when installing a game, gets pretty loud and vibrates the console a bit. This PS4 also gets noisy when the game first boots up from the disc then quiets down. Either 2 different manufacture's drives are supplied with PS4s or the drive in my second unit is defective. Curious what others have experienced re silent vs noisy drive game installs/boot ups.

My drive is really noisy when installing a game or starting up a game. It does quiet down after game boots up.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

One of the reasons why I came up with the idea to do this poll is seeing the Amazon ratings for the PS4.
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Launch-Edition/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384678193&sr=8-5&keywords=ps4
I wonder if theirs a setting to only see the ratings of verified purchases. In other words ratings only from people who actually got the system from Amazon. The average rating would be fairer that way.

I do not have a NeoGaf account but if anyone does, any chance you'd post a poll their?

There are a lot of negative reviews on Amazon, but I would say more people are inclined to vent their frustration writing a negative review versus someone who has a working PS4 and writing a positive review. I don't know what the sales figures are so far, but I tend to believe the failure rate is pretty low. There were thousands of PS4's in the wild from the Taco Bell promotion and not many complaints. I don't know if I believe Sony's .4% failure rate though. I would guess it would be closer to 1%.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wonder if the failure rate on amazon seems high is because of shipping. After seeing how sony packed the device with cardboard which in my eyes wasn't the most favorable way considering it has a mechanical hard drive. Amazon probably just threw it in another box and UPS took care of the rest. It's really hard to say though.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got mine from The Source (C.City in the States) and it was well package in a reinforced box with peanuts and bubble wrap. Don't know how Sony shipped it to them though. Regardless, I'm lucky to have a fully functioning unit

Out of curiosity, the HDMI issue, is it out of the box or after using the supplied cable?
post #9 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
post #10 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post

There are a lot of negative reviews on Amazon, but I would say more people are inclined to vent their frustration writing a negative review versus someone who has a working PS4 and writing a positive review. I don't know what the sales figures are so far, but I tend to believe the failure rate is pretty low. There were thousands of PS4's in the wild from the Taco Bell promotion and not many complaints. I don't know if I believe Sony's .4% failure rate though. I would guess it would be closer to 1%.

Whats 480? About 8 pallets at this one fulfillment center?

This is the first launch in the age of social media. Few people go to praise their awesome experience, and everyone with a problem gets online to vent and find a equitable solution, as they should. But some perspective is needed. Amazon probably sold between 100-200K units. 480 units vs their number shipped at the lower bound isn't even 0.5%
post #11 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Whats 480? About 8 pallets at this one fulfillment center?

This is the first launch in the age of social media. Few people go to praise their awesome experience, and everyone with a problem gets online to vent and find a equitable solution, as they should. But some perspective is needed. Amazon probably sold between 100-200K units. 480 units vs their number shipped at the lower bound isn't even 0.5%

I agree there needs to be some perspective. I'm sure my 1% guess is way off. It would be interesting to know how many PS4 units Sony is replacing.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I agree that Amazon reviews are not a good measuring stick. Those with no problems are having fun using it and not concerned with leaving a review. I'm an example of that. I bought 2 from Amazon, one for a friend and the other for me; so far both are working just fine (at least my friend hasn't said anything about it not working). I haven't even thought about leaving a review until I saw this thread, in fact I haven't even looked at the PS4 product page on Amazon since the free extra controller rumor a few weeks ago. I'm just having fun playing and I'm not worried about leaving good reviews, I may get around to it eventually.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #13 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/11/17/sony-sells-1-million-playstation-4s/3618217/

1 million sold in 24 hours (sold, not shipped)

So Amazon complaints account for ~0.05% of total units sold.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do understand that people are more inclined to rant about a defective unit which is why putting a poll in places like this is a better idea. Neogaf would be even better since it's more gaming centric and it's harder to be a member their. You just have to make sure the results are public which should reduce the chances of people putting false votes. I've actually seen other places use this Amazon situation as gospel. The thing is, if any electronic have issues, it's good for people to tell us regardless but at the same time, it's also good to have a more accurate assessment of the percentage of people effected by it.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 14
My drive gets a little loud at the start of a game but no other issues.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

My drive is loud, too. I'm thinking of ordering a second PS4 and sending this one back when it gets here. A 6x drive should definitely not vibrate a 6 pound console.

500 gigs FTW.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Mine is loud on spin up (disc checking the game for instance), but it's quiet once at speed.

Think it has anything to do with this?

Looks like there's minimal casing for the drive, maybe leading to more noise?

Looking at the iFixit teardown, if the PSU goes (and doesn't fry the unit) looks like it'll be a very easy swap this go around. Same with the BD drive. Both were a PITA to remove from a PS3 phat if they needed repair.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

post #18 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't mind some noise for running discs, which is all I've really noticed. Earlier I heard it running louder on idle and went to check why and it ended up being my PS3 slim that had accidentally turned on. Poor guy.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Liked: 12
Purchased and received mine from Amazon on release day. Works as it should with no issues but I wasn't expecting it too. Waited for the Ups delivery truck and it showed around 3pm and I saw the Ups delivery kid, young asian kid throw my ps4 off the back of the truck. I thought thats probably delivery for my neighbors but nope, he walked right up to my door. I didn't say anything but he knew from the look I gave him. Would not make eye contact with me and his body position was already doing a reversal before he gave the scanner to sign. Opened it up, installed day one firmware update with no issues. Been using it quite a bit and works as it should. Everythings good, knock on wood. Should of KNOCKED the Ups kid.

CK

I'm no videophile, but I know what looks good to me.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Received mine Friday at 2:30pm from UPS (pre-ordered through Amazon). Hooked it up and was playing Call of Duty SP by 3pm. Haven't had any issues aside from some PSN wonkiness (likely due to network congestion). Bluray drive is quiet for the most part, even during game installs. The UPS driver literally RAN from his truck to my door, all the while I'm think in my head "hope he's not shaking it too much." Haha.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #21 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
No problems with mine, but it can get a little hot on the top of it, towards the very back in the middle. Also gets hot on the very back in the middle. It only seems to get hot when I've had it turned on for a long time.

Although I haven't had any problems, I did get these 4 hex nuts from Home Depot to use as extended "feet" for the PS4. They keep the PS4 about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches above the ground, to hopefully allow for more airflow underneath the system. I used to do the same thing with the 360 and PS3 in the early days. I always like to raise the system up a bit more off the ground. I feel like the normal "feet" don't raise it enough.

The Xbox One might have better feet on it, since it can't be stood up vertically.

I've also heard about people using little usb fans on the back of their PS4. I've considered getting a usb fan that I can plug into the back of the PS4 and add a bit more air flow back there to help it keep cool, but since my PS4 is functioning properly, I haven't actually got any usb fans yet, but I've thought about it.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-22-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Does it matter if its vertical, w/o or w/ stand. How about Laying Flat?
post #23 of 23 Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I said unfixable and returning, but it is playable. I'm simply returning the unit because I don't think my issues speaks well for its longevity. The power offs and safe modes from overheating seem to have sorted themselves out, but the HDMI handshake issues (flicker to white noise) haven't. My new unit will be waiting for me tomorrow.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page