Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
ps4-remote-play1.jpg

The PS4 is now officially launched, and a couple of the neat features it has can be enjoyed if you have a Vita:

Remote Play
Play almost any PS4 game in the palm of your hand! Using Gaikai streaming tech in part, you can send a game signal from your PS4 directly to the Vita via built in, advanced WiFi tech (compared to PS3 / PSP) , or your through router via your WiFi signal, or through the internet, or even through your 4G mobile phone connection to a registered Vita and get a pretty good experience on Sony's handheld.

Of course the direct method works best when you have your PS4's internet connection hard wired, especially if you stay in range of the two units for the best signal. Lag is almost imperceptible in the best of conditions, and the Vita's stunning OLED screen makes it all look fantastic. The controls are modified on a case by case basis, but games generally feel about the same. One bummer however - 30fps is the max output to the Vita as of now. Hopefully the cap gets lifted in the future.

Here's a Remote Play how-to guide to get you going. It's also been said that you should turn off WiFi Power Save Settings in your Vita (last system menu option, by default its turned on).

As a bonus, the guide also points out you can use your mobile phone as a companion app to do some basic PS4 UI stuff (like check messages, dload and install content, etc.) while away from the console. Here's the link to the iPhone app, and here is the Android app.

Second Screen
Games can be designed to use the Vita as a controller, replacing the DualShock 4, to make use of it as a second screen. On the PS3 we enjoyed this feature in Guacamelee (as an always-available map viewer),. It was also available in a short LittleBigPlanet 2 spinoff title where the game switched back and forth between the two screens, allowing the gamer to use some of the Vita's custom control features to conquer levels in ways not possible with the DS3 alone (PS3 video of it in action). With Remote Play convincing some players to get a Vita, we may see more Second Screen content in the future on the PS4.
DaverJ likes this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I mentioned this on the PS4 thread but just in case it got lost or if someone runs into the same issue. I cant connect to the PS4 if I leave my Astro's plugged into the USB. When the system starts via remote it asks who is using the headset. On the Vita end it just says it cant connect. The only work around I have found is to make sure I unplug the USB. This question does not come up when I use the controller to turn on, but it will come up if I use the power button on the system. If someone is having some issues connecting this could be it. I found that out by leaving my TV on while trying to connect to see what the PS4 was saying. This also doesnt happen if the PS4 is already on.

Aside from that, I love the remote play. Just need to get used to using the touchpad on the back for the extra R/L buttons. Its kind of awkward for me right now. I am going to try it out this morning away from my house to see how the connection is.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393

In the remote play settings on the PS4, if you choose the option to "connect directly with PS Vita", there's noticeably less lag. This connects directly from Vita to PS4 instead of going through your router/LAN.  

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

I mentioned this on the PS4 thread but just in case it got lost or if someone runs into the same issue. I cant connect to the PS4 if I leave my Astro's plugged into the USB. When the system starts via remote it asks who is using the headset. On the Vita end it just says it cant connect. The only work around I have found is to make sure I unplug the USB. This question does not come up when I use the controller to turn on, but it will come up if I use the power button on the system. If someone is having some issues connecting this could be it. I found that out by leaving my TV on while trying to connect to see what the PS4 was saying. This also doesnt happen if the PS4 is already on.

Aside from that, I love the remote play. Just need to get used to using the touchpad on the back for the extra R/L buttons. Its kind of awkward for me right now. I am going to try it out this morning away from my house to see how the connection is.

Yeah, using the rear touchpad for anything sucks. Although games can program around it - in ghosts when I use remote play, it shows two new icons in screen for your nades, and you can just tap them. Tapping the left side of the screen melees - the only thing the rear pad is used for is sprint, but you still have to precisely tap hit the upper left side which is annoying.

But yeah, don't try to play ghosts anyway. Between the blurry video, inferior controls and the low framerate, you will get destroyed.

I have to try fiddling with some settings to see if anything can increase - but right now the video stream is a variable bitrate that goes between 500kbps-3mbps. It should be able to do better.

post #5 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

To bad we couldnt connect a DS4 to a Vita. Not really a portable solution but I carry my Vita in my bag so carrying a controller is no problem.

I am playing away from home and I expected it to take longer to connect to the PS4 but it took a little longer than I expected. But so far so good. Everything looks fine. I do get the occasional lag but so far so good. nothing to complain about yet.

benjamin-benjami -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To bad we couldnt connect a DS4 to a Vita. Not really a portable solution but I carry my Vita in my bag so carrying a controller is no problem.

I am playing away from home and I expected it to take longer to connect to the PS4 but it took a little longer than I expected. But so far so good. Everything looks fine. I do get the occasional lag but so far so good. nothing to complain about yet.

I bet that's coming - since you'll be able to connect a DS4 to a Vita TV, they'll have to build that support into the OS. I'm hoping next version of the Vita has an HDMI out and better wifi or ethernet, so it can stand in as a Vita TV.  

It's not such a crazy idea, Nvidia is already way ahead of them and is already doing it. The shield supports 720p/60 in portable mode, and it has a "console mode." You can hook it up to a TV, a bluetooth controller and stream 1080p/60. I'm hope the Vita catches up!

I'm going to run some tests to find the best quality/fastest frame rate video the vita can decode.

post #7 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

In the remote play settings on the PS4, if you choose the option to "connect directly with PS Vita", there's noticeably less lag. This connects directly from Vita to PS4 instead of going through your router/LAN.  

Any idea what the range is?

Steam: Guts
post #8 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

About 50 feet, but it depends on walls between you and the signal/quality degrades with distance. You'll probably only get max performance up to 15-20 feet away.
post #9 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's going to depend on what's between you and your PS4.  But the bitrate on the video is so low that it needs no more than a barely functioning wifi signal to come in clean. It works perfectly over 30ft going through a floor and a wall. As long as you don't mind a little extra lag, If you use the LAN option instead of Wifi-Direct, it'll get as far as your APs reach. I can easily play in my backyard using that method.

post #10 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:

That's going to depend on what's between you and your PS4.  But the bitrate on the video is so low that it needs no more than a barely functioning wifi signal to come in clean. It works perfectly over 30ft going through a floor and a wall. As long as you don't mind a little extra lag, If you use the LAN option instead of Wifi-Direct, it'll get as far as your APs reach. I can easily play in my backyard using that method.

Cool. 30 foot would be the norm with an interior sheetrock wall between at any given time. Wifi Direct is that special pairing between PS4 and Vita I assume?

Steam: Guts
post #11 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cool. 30 foot would be the norm with an interior sheetrock wall between at any given time. Wifi Direct is that special pairing between PS4 and Vita I assume?

Yeah, it's an ad-hoc wifi connection directly between the Vita and the PS4.  

post #12 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Yup, needs to be enabled through the setting menus. It appears default is set to off.
post #13 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So I did some test mp4 encodes, downsampling a super high bitrate 1080p capture of resogun to 960x544 at 60fps, to see what the Vita could handle.  It made it all the way up to 15mbps but beyond that it would begin to drop frames.  It looked decent at 5mbps, pretty good at 10mbps and excellent at 15mbps, almost like it was running locally when viewed from a normal distance.  And I'm sure the PS4 would have no trouble encoding that. So there's definitely some untapped potential.

Higher bitrates mean less range, less battery life, less stable connections, and potentially a little more lag...so I think they started out very conservatively just to get it working.  Hopefully they raise it up in the future, or at least give us the options. because right now I don't think the quality is acceptable.

post #14 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 PM

Liked: 16
Do any games support second screen yet? If so, which ones?
post #15 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
All I know, is that NBA 2K14 looks amazing on that OLED screen.

I wish there was an option to make L1 and R1 the back touch instead of L2 and R2. In NBA 2K14, the R2 is turbo, and it's so hard to do it via the back touch.

I'm still totally amazed by remote play, and think it's a HUGE game changer.
post #16 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

All I know, is that NBA 2K14 looks amazing on that OLED screen.

I wish there was an option to make L1 and R1 the back touch instead of L2 and R2. In NBA 2K14, the R2 is turbo, and it's so hard to do it via the back touch.

I'm still totally amazed by remote play, and think it's a HUGE game changer.

I agree with remapping controls and wish the quadrants were larger on the back too. I have small hands and the touchpad quadrants are to far in to comfortably reach. Makes some games like NBA2K14 pretty hard to play well.

Also can't wait to see if the Vita can connect remotely at work tomorrow!
post #17 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Ran into this on another forum's Madden thread:
Quote:
This may be more of a PS4 comment then Madden, but I can't believe I am playing NG Madden on my PS Vita while getting my car serviced 45 miles from my house. Remote play is really amazing. No stuttering or lag either.
As someone who has never really got into a Sony portable gaming device (still love my DS Lite thank you) this sounds really, really interesting...
post #18 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 196
^^^ Well, I wouldn't say there is NO lag, since the nature of the tech means that there will be some. However it is still pretty good all things considering. At times you barely noticed it.

My youngest needed the second computer in our house tonight for a few hours which is hooked up to my big screen. So this was a good time to really test out RP out of need instead of just as a novelty. I played Resogun first, and that is not a good game for it IMHO.

The voxel tech of the game makes it look far more pixelated than it deserves, even though you can still make out the bullets and UI info. The main problems I have with it though is the frame rate drop from 60 to 30 is noticeable if you are sensitive to that, and the slight lag in controls makes it difficult to survive tight spots that shoot 'em ups throw at you.

Killzone however looks fantastic, and 30 fps on the small screen doesn't hurt it much since the big screen cousin has a variable rate. Lag wasn't an issue as it played very well with the Vita's analog sticks. Big thumbs up.

Next I played NBA 2K14, which again looks very, very nice and plays great. The issue with this title for me is that you have to use the rear touch pad as R2, the sprint button. They really need to switch it with R1 instead since sprint needs to be held often. It's funny because by default, Killzone maps L2 and R2 to the Vita's shoulder buttons, but in NBA2K they map L1 and R1.

I tested these titles about ten feet from the PS4.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #19 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

How are you connecting outside of your home network? I would love to play on the go, only way I can get through at least one launch field soon lol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #20 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

I'm hoping next version of the Vita has an HDMI out and better wifi or ethernet, so it can stand in as a Vita TV.  

I wouldn't count on it. The original Vita had a scaler for tv out but Sony never activated the feature and released a cable since they decided to go the Vita TV route instead. This new Vita handheld redesign with the LCD screen doesn't include the unused scaler.
post #21 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I wouldn't count on it. The original Vita had a scaler for tv out but Sony never activated the feature and released a cable since they decided to go the Vita TV route instead. This new Vita handheld redesign with the LCD screen doesn't include the unused scaler.

Well, that's too bad for them, because the entire world is moving in this direction. Streaming around the house using portable devices is going to be ubiquitous. 

post #22 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

^^^ Well, I wouldn't say there is NO lag, since the nature of the tech means that there will be some. However it is still pretty good all things considering. At times you barely noticed it.

My youngest needed the second computer in our house tonight for a few hours which is hooked up to my big screen. So this was a good time to really test out RP out of need instead of just as a novelty. I played Resogun first, and that is not a good game for it IMHO.

The voxel tech of the game makes it look far more pixelated than it deserves, even though you can still make out the bullets and UI info. The main problems I have with it though is the frame rate drop from 60 to 30 is noticeable if you are sensitive to that, and the slight lag in controls makes it difficult to survive tight spots that shoot 'em ups throw at you.

Killzone however looks fantastic, and 30 fps on the small screen doesn't hurt it much since the big screen cousin has a variable rate. Lag wasn't an issue as it played very well with the Vita's analog sticks. Big thumbs up.

Next I played NBA 2K14, which again looks very, very nice and plays great. The issue with this title for me is that you have to use the rear touch pad as R2, the sprint button. They really need to switch it with R1 instead since sprint needs to be held often. It's funny because by default, Killzone maps L2 and R2 to the Vita's shoulder buttons, but in NBA2K they map L1 and R1.

I tested these titles about ten feet from the PS4.

I'd compare the lag when connected in direct mode to a TV with mediocre input lag...so I can totally see how someone used to that would consider it "no lag". It's good enough that it's not an issue for most games. They really need to get the frame rate and quality up ASAP though, but I suppose it's good start.    

post #23 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Any word on when the PS Vita slim will make it state side? I'm eager to get a vita for remote play, but would rather have the lighter longer lasting system.
post #24 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

How are you connecting outside of your home network? I would love to play on the go, only way I can get through at least one launch field soon lol.

Its the same method as connecting in your home. It first looks for it using the wifi direct then it says searching for it over the internet. I've done it a few times already and its a great feature to have for gaming on the go.

benjamin-benjami -
post #25 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Quote:

Its the same method as connecting in your home. It first looks for it using the wifi direct then it says searching for it over the internet. I've done it a few times already and its a great feature to have for gaming on the go.

So you have to have that option enabled instead of LAN/router? I need to leave mine on router since the PS4 signal cant reach my bedroom.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #26 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 AM

Liked: 10
Hi there everyone I just joined this thread,and if you guys can help it would be highly appreciated.OK I live in Africa where super fast Internet is practically non existent but fortunately have a home connection.I have a vita and really want the remote play feature for the ps 4 to work satisfactorily.My top download speed using wi fi in my bedroom is 1.9 mps download and 500 kps upload. It's obviously faster when I am nearer the router.So my question is with those speeds will remote play run at least satisfactorily or maybe good? Please help! I want to know this before I get the ps4 which is only released here in Africa on the 13 December. You lucky bastards! ;p
post #27 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you have to have that option enabled instead of LAN/router? I need to leave mine on router since the PS4 signal cant reach my bedroom.

I enabled nothing. I synced the 2 systems together and now it just does everything on its own.

benjamin-benjami -
post #28 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk2408 View Post

Hi there everyone I just joined this thread,and if you guys can help it would be highly appreciated.OK I live in Africa where super fast Internet is practically non existent but fortunately have a home connection.I have a vita and really want the remote play feature for the ps 4 to work satisfactorily.My top download speed using wi fi in my bedroom is 1.9 mps download and 500 kps upload. It's obviously faster when I am nearer the router.So my question is with those speeds will remote play run at least satisfactorily or maybe good? Please help! I want to know this before I get the ps4 which is only released here in Africa on the 13 December. You lucky bastards! ;p

Do you have a router in your house? Directly connecting to the PS4 or using a WiFi router the local play should be flawless. No need to go through the internet there.

But if you're outside the home and trying to use the internet to connect to the PS4 those speeds, I don't think it's enough bandwidth to work or work well.
post #29 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I tried Resogun the other day from bed and enjoyed it quite a bit. Couldn't figure out how to touch off a bomb with the touchscreen though. I'm afraid to try a FPS. I just don't see that being fun.
post #30 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

I tried Resogun the other day from bed and enjoyed it quite a bit. Couldn't figure out how to touch off a bomb with the touchscreen though. I'm afraid to try a FPS. I just don't see that being fun.

Its ok for FPS, the toughest part is using the touchpad correctly. I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

benjamin-benjami -
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page