post #31 of 43 Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Probably shouldn't bump this, but a few FW updates and allowing a little more user customability and the PS4 PDM (apparently they call it the Playstation Dynamic Menu - ew) will be much better than this IMO:

Yea but titan fall ghost battlefield4 all run sup 720p

(((PASS)))

xboxlive: BLACKSOULTRAIN or SILVERBACK XXL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have both. The Xbox one's is so much more capable is not even a fair comparison. That being said the Xbox one is missing a few dead obvious things, battery life indicator and storage management etc
post #33 of 43 Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
What makes it more capable? The huge benefit I would enjoy is that it works with Harmony remotes.
post #34 of 43 Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 11
How so? I have both and my experience doesn't mimic yours
post #35 of 43 Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I have both. The Xbox one's is so much more capable is not even a fair comparison. That being said the Xbox one is missing a few dead obvious things, battery life indicator and storage management etc

Not according to Edge

http://www.edge-online.com/features/xbox-why-the-baffling-incompetence-of-the-xbox-one-interface/

(I do realize some of this is subjective. Still the primary point of a UI is to connect users with functions quickly and intuitively.)
post #36 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
The problem with the XBO is that MS is going to attempt to unify the OS too much to get parity with Windows Phone and Windows 8. I understand their desire to do so and don't really fault them for it, but a device is a device and there are different purposes for the devices. I do not have the same needs from a gaming console that I have for my touch screen phone or tablet. We've already seen what the philosophy has done to the desktop, which despite my love for tablets, is not going to die.

A console interface should not be setup around a touch screen backbone. We are not going to be accessing anything via a touch screen interface, at least not primarily.

XBO UI does a lot of things right, but the core is wrong.

Sony's XMB and PDM (wish they'd just kept the XMB title) may not appear as flashy or as cool, but it's core simplicity keeps the functional purpose of a user interface intact. That purpose is to be a system by which the user interfaces with the device. Efficiency and accessibility should always trump flashiness.

Apple has been pretty acute on that front. Many Android users have commented about how "bland" or "unchanging" the same 7 year old interface is, but there's always been 1 button, swipe and icon grid. It's so simple my 1 year old can literally navigate my iDevices and access netflix. She can't even speak yet. Android devices by contrast might have more flash or even customization but it's not as intuitive. Most devices that I've seen have 3 or 4 buttons in addition to the touch interface.

Sony needs to make a few tweaks, but I think they got more right with the UI.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #37 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:

Not according to Edge

http://www.edge-online.com/features/xbox-why-the-baffling-incompetence-of-the-xbox-one-interface/

(I do realize some of this is subjective. Still the primary point of a UI is to connect users with functions quickly and intuitively.)

From the article:
Quote:
Mindful of its prior issues updating the functionality of Xbox 360, Microsoft has elected to make almost every system function an app.

That's actually a big deal. It's ultimately at the consumer inconvenience to have to access many things at an app level

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #38 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

The problem with the XBO is that MS is going to attempt to unify the OS too much to get parity with Windows Phone and Windows 8. I understand their desire to do so and don't really fault them for it, but a device is a device and there are different purposes for the devices. I do not have the same needs from a gaming console that I have for my touch screen phone or tablet. We've already seen what the philosophy has done to the desktop, which despite my love for tablets, is not going to die.

A console interface should not be setup around a touch screen backbone. We are not going to be accessing anything via a touch screen interface, at least not primarily.

XBO UI does a lot of things right, but the core is wrong.

Sony's XMB and PDM (wish they'd just kept the XMB title) may not appear as flashy or as cool, but it's core simplicity keeps the functional purpose of a user interface intact. That purpose is to be a system by which the user interfaces with the device. Efficiency and accessibility should always trump flashiness.

Apple has been pretty acute on that front. Many Android users have commented about how "bland" or "unchanging" the same 7 year old interface is, but there's always been 1 button, swipe and icon grid. It's so simple my 1 year old can literally navigate my iDevices and access netflix. She can't even speak yet. Android devices by contrast might have more flash or even customization but it's not as intuitive. Most devices that I've seen have 3 or 4 buttons in addition to the touch interface.

Sony needs to make a few tweaks, but I think they got more right with the UI.
. My touchscreen laptop killed my desktop. I also use it instead of my tablet. I see the tablet as something for light travel only now.
post #39 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 373
While I applaud Microsoft for trying, their not the ones to be unifying things. They just don't have enough market share to be a leader in that regard anymore. Their tablets and phones are not the sellers that an Android or iDevice is. They were too little too late with a full blown Win 8 tablet. So now xboners are stuck with the Win 8 experience for good or bad. Sony has a nice light interface that doesn't get in the way and I appreciate it a lot more than needless bells and whistles.
ultracat likes this.
post #40 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

Still the primary point of a UI is to connect users with functions quickly and intuitively.

MS threw this principle out the window with Windows 8. Windows 8 is so un-intuitive and cumbersome in a desktop environment. For us IT guys, simple admin features are now harder to find and having settings split between the old and new interface is so annoying. Windows 8 is a joke on a desktop and it is the first version of Windows that has me considering a Mac for my next home purchase, if this is the future for MS then I don't want any part of it.

This is from that article on Edge:
Quote:
Incredibly, having signed an exclusivity deal with Twitch, it then failed to have the service ready at launch,

Twitch is on the PS4 so what kind of exclusivity does MS have?

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #41 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

MS threw this principle out the window with Windows 8. Windows 8 is so un-intuitive and cumbersome in a desktop environment. For us IT guys, simple admin features are now harder to find and having settings split between the old and new interface is so annoying. Windows 8 is a joke on a desktop and it is the first version of Windows that has me considering a Mac for my next home purchase, if this is the future for MS then I don't want any part of it.

I know it makes no sense it is like kicking a 57 yard field goal with 1 second left in a tie game... smile.gif
post #42 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
That was uncalled for... I think I must demand that you be banded for life from AVS! tongue.gif

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #43 of 43 Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

That was uncalled for... I think I must demand that you be banded for life from AVS! tongue.gif

at least you didn't have to watch Oklahoma Sooner football this year!
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page