Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I value your opinion, but you haven't presented an argument to support it other than you prefer 3D to be provided on a separate device. Why would providing 3D on the PS4 negatively affect you in any way?

A firmware update will give you 3D Blu-Ray eventually. Most people have standalone Blu-Ray Players. The ps3 was a game changer at first but now that blu-ray players aren't $500 everyone and their brother has one. It would've been nice for PS4 to have everything the ps3 has though.
tdogroeder likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

The ps3 was a game changer at first but now that blu-ray players aren't $1000 anymore

fixed.
AncientAlien likes this.
post #123 of 146 Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

fixed.

It's been a while. I knew they were up around that price but wasn't 100%.
post #124 of 146 Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I have a huge gripe with the catch 22 that no media capability on PS4 presents.

I got my PS4 on release day, ran home and pulled my Ethernet cable out of my PS3 and put it into the PS4.
All good until you need to play some kind of media other than a Blu Ray.
Turn on PS3, connect to WiFi, - chug chug chug for anything requiring network access.

This leaves me with -
A PS4 with good network connection for games and poor media support
and
A PS3 with good media support and poor network connection

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #125 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

I have a huge gripe with the catch 22 that no media capability on PS4 presents.

I got my PS4 on release day, ran home and pulled my Ethernet cable out of my PS3 and put it into the PS4.
All good until you need to play some kind of media other than a Blu Ray.
Turn on PS3, connect to WiFi, - chug chug chug for anything requiring network access.

This leaves me with -
A PS4 with good network connection for games and poor media support
and
A PS3 with good media support and poor network connection

You could get a multi-port ethernet hub and then you could have all your devices hard wired to your router.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #126 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

You could get a multi-port ethernet hub and then you could have all your devices hard wired to your router.

I could, but the PS4 is already running off a switch piggy backed off my modem/router.(I wont go into it, we setup the house with Ethernet, yet telco installed phone line in the wrong room)
So I don't really want to add another switch to it just yet.

I guess the alternative would be for Sony to pull their finger out of their ******* and put these BASIC things into the PS4.

Yes DLNA is basic! Even the cheapest of cheap TVs now have it. My SONY android phone has it!

*end rage filled rant*

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #127 of 146 Old 02-21-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just found out that neither of the new players, PS4 or Xbox One can play 3D Blu Ray out of the box. I ended up getting both for christmas (good wife) and giving away my PS3. I guess I should have read more about it but I don't recall every hearing anything about 3D in the months leading up to the release. Right now, I'm disappointed in both systems. The PS3 and 360 were superior in almost every aspect. I'm confident that will change with updates etc but I am getting closer to plugging my gaming computer into the tv and calling it good.

Vetboy

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
post #128 of 146 Old 02-22-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Woohoo... I finally got a PS4, however its not doing anything that my PS3 did grrr. Graphics are great, sounds is impressive ( other than my HDMI and TOSLINK working at the same time.... ) which btw how do you fix? My PS3 is still the king in the living room. I need the DLAN sever support, and i need to be able to plug in my ipod/ios device or android device and listen to tunes or mucis from my thumb drive... or even MOVIES! Common SONY release that firmware already!!

Other than that, any other BF4 players ? biggrin.gif
post #129 of 146 Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I am honestly surprised to see how many people here expect the PS4 to match the features of the PS3 out of the gate. These things will come in time, Sony proved that with the PS3.

On a more practical note, you can watch YouTube using the browser by switching to the HTML5 viewer. Not all videos are available that way but it is better than nothing until a native app drops.
tdogroeder likes this.
post #130 of 146 Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
You're surprised that people expect the successor to at least largely match the level of its predecessor out of the gate where its capabilities are concerned?

Not very lofty expectations if you ask me if you're suggesting the reasonable course would be for the PS4 to slowly progress over time before matching its predecessor's capabilities. A lot of these things should've been basic requirements on both new consoles with us instead looking ahead to things that their predecessors never could do. Instead, we're crossing our fingers that they will at least be updated enough where their functionality in a multitude of areas may someday at least roughly comparable to systems from 2005/2006.
curtlots likes this.
post #131 of 146 Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY View Post

Woohoo... I finally got a PS4, however its not doing anything that my PS3 did grrr. Graphics are great, sounds is impressive ( other than my HDMI and TOSLINK working at the same time.... ) which btw how do you fix? My PS3 is still the king in the living room. I need the DLAN sever support, and i need to be able to plug in my ipod/ios device or android device and listen to tunes or mucis from my thumb drive... or even MOVIES! Common SONY release that firmware already!!

Other than that, any other BF4 players ? biggrin.gif

Can I plug my ipod\iPhone into my PS3 and access my iTunes playlists??
post #132 of 146 Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyxbr View Post

Can I plug my ipod\iPhone into my PS3 and access my iTunes playlists??

3 years ago I could access the music of an Ipod Nano with my PS3 without a problem, after an update (can´t remember wich one) that wasn´t possible anymnore, don´t know if that´s possible now because I don´t have an Ipod anymore.

PS3 has NEVER been capable to access to an Iphone or Ipod Touch, you have to buy apps for your Iphone to do so.
post #133 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone know what the last system update was about any features added?
post #134 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

Anyone know what the last system update was about any features added?

I think it listed 4 things but only remember one. Better PQ during DVD Playback.
post #135 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

I could, but the PS4 is already running off a switch piggy backed off my modem/router.(I wont go into it, we setup the house with Ethernet, yet telco installed phone line in the wrong room)
So I don't really want to add another switch to it just yet.

I guess the alternative would be for Sony to pull their finger out of their ******* and put these BASIC things into the PS4.

Yes DLNA is basic! Even the cheapest of cheap TVs now have it. My SONY android phone has it!

*end rage filled rant*

FWIW my FIOS router seems to be the same with basically a 10/100 switch on the back and I ran cat6e cable from that up to my 10/1000 gigabit switch in my rack and I have not had any issues...I have been doing this for over 3 years now with not a single hiccup.

As far as DLNA goes, it is interesting. Talking with another HT buddy of mine the other night the only thing we could come up with as to why there is no DLNA is because of the recorders that are built into each unit. If this were the case though you you think they could limit the recorder as to what it can record.
post #136 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no DLNA (yet) for the same reason there aren't lots of other features the PS3 has. It's a new system with a new OS running on new hardware. They simply have not had the time to bring everything over yet, and have it fully tested and ready to go. As time goes by we will see more and more features trickle in.

I don't think the recorder has anything to do with it, Netflix seems to work fine after all, and DLNA is really just another way to stream media to the PS4.
post #137 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

That's just an excuse. They had seven years to work on this before release.

This missing stuff that may or may not be patched in someday likely just wasn't planned to ever be here until customer backlash made them rethink things. Hopefully they follow through on some of this stuff.
post #138 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They had seven years to work on this before release.
If that's what you actually believe, there's not really much for us to discuss.

I am not trying to claim where the PS4 is in terms of features is or is not acceptable, I can see it both ways. I'm simply stating what the facts are. If people want to keep complaining about what is clearly the reality, then that's fine, but it's a waste of time.
post #139 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Sony focused on a gaming console and I'd rather have a gaming console myself. All the bells and whistles are good bonuses. Netflix works and Playon runs on my PS3's but we don't use it as much anymore so that problem solved itself. Actually I have no complaints right now. My wireless headset works and that was my biggest complaint.
tdogroeder likes this.
post #140 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

If that's what you actually believe, there's not really much for us to discuss.

I am not trying to claim where the PS4 is in terms of features is or is not acceptable, I can see it both ways. I'm simply stating what the facts are. If people want to keep complaining about what is clearly the reality, then that's fine, but it's a waste of time.

It's all speculation, there's nothing here that proves that many of these missing features like CD playback are AWOL simply because of pressing timelines. It's simply what you choose to believe.
post #141 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I read that the omission of features like cd playback and dlna support was intentional. This was pre-launch, so it's possible their position has changed since then.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #142 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems very possible it was which is why it should be called out on when it's being passed off as fact that it simply was scheduling demands that kept those features away.

Thankfully the fans have spoken so hopefully some of these long established and useful features will start to be rolled back in. But it's anything but reality that it's obvious they were concentrating on gaming which is why it can't do something like a play a MP3 file out of the box on day 1...

If that was such a technically daunting feature addition, imagine the workload for their engineers and programmers for getting the power button on the console to work and such. Several of these features like MP3 playback are about as much of a challenge these days so obviously that doesn't wash for at least a significant portion of this list that we've been compiling in here.

Sounds like I'm a Sony hater but I'm anything but. The PS4 has the most promise of this generation in my eyes and they've made a lot of good decisions. But I don't think they should get a free ride when they do make an error in judgement such as several missing features that very possibly were deliberately not planned to encourage use of paid services like Sony's Music Unlimited service.
post #143 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 372
One thing I have never cared about a console doing is playing an MP3....
post #144 of 146 Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

For custom soundtracks, it's great I think and has been one of my favorite features on the competition.

I love it for most any game with a licensed soundtrack since I hate all contemporary music, I've used it in DuckTales Remastered to spice things up with the soundtrack for DuckTales 2 on the NES and music from the cartoon series, I have a lot of classic arcade and console music tracks from racing games like Outrun that I'll fire up in 360 racing titles, etc.

It was one of the nicest innovations that the original Xbox was responsible for and I was thrilled to see it become a standard feature on the 360. I can't believe that it's almost absent with this generation of consoles from Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony so far. Nothing on the Wii U outside of backwards compatibility mode in a handful of games like Endless Ocean that retain the option, Xbox One only has the feature via media streaming the last I knew (No sticking your files on a memory stick, plugging in a MP3 player, etc), and on the PS4 I believe it's limited to Music Unlimited.

Next generation console gaming should be about steps forward, not taking a step back.
post #145 of 146 Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

It seems very possible it was which is why it should be called out on when it's being passed off as fact that it simply was scheduling demands that kept those features away.

Thankfully the fans have spoken so hopefully some of these long established and useful features will start to be rolled back in. But it's anything but reality that it's obvious they were concentrating on gaming which is why it can't do something like a play a MP3 file out of the box on day 1...

If that was such a technically daunting feature addition, imagine the workload for their engineers and programmers for getting the power button on the console to work and such. Several of these features like MP3 playback are about as much of a challenge these days so obviously that doesn't wash for at least a significant portion of this list that we've been compiling in here.

Sounds like I'm a Sony hater but I'm anything but. The PS4 has the most promise of this generation in my eyes and they've made a lot of good decisions. But I don't think they should get a free ride when they do make an error in judgement such as several missing features that very possibly were deliberately not planned to encourage use of paid services like Sony's Music Unlimited service.

I think if you look at from a little higher up, you'd see that there isn't a media player coded into the OS at all. So while it's probably easy to get mp3 recognition/handling up and running, without the player and playback interface existing you can't do anything with local files. The only media that the console can do is DVD/BD which do not use media players and launch into a different mode altogether.

I don't think they should get a "free ride" either, but I don't think it's accurate that you chastise them with the understanding that MP3s are simple while you conveniently ignore that a media player is missing from the operating system all together. To me, that does in fact indicate that they placed other items (gaming) as a higher priority.

That being said, I hope they get this stuff implemented soon.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #146 of 146 Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I read that the omission of features like cd playback and dlna support was intentional. This was pre-launch, so it's possible their position has changed since then.
They weren't intentional (other than saving cost/development time) but they did make excuses for them.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page