This is what's wrong with game review websites ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"There has been much discussion online in recent weeks about resolution issues affecting PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One titles. It's been confirmed that the PlayStation 4 version runs at a native 1080p, but the Xbox One version is upscaled to 1080p from 720p. I played Call of Duty: Ghosts extensively on both next-gen systems on several televisions of different sizes, and saw no differences between the two versions. The experience was virtually identical on both consoles throughout the duration of my play time. If you own both consoles and are deciding which version of Ghosts to get, I'd recommend simply going with whatever console your friends will be playing on."-Gameinformer

Unless they were playing on a 15" inch screen, going from 1080p to 720p native is a big difference. It's annoying reading such inconsistencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Written by MS fanbois

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #3 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm also really sick of reading about "upscaled to 1080p." This is just PR nonsense to trick consumers who don't know the difference. If I plug my console into a 4K TV, the game is now "upscaled" to 4K (because the 4K TV will upscale it). But we all know that's a bunch of nonsense. This upscaling talk needs to die.
Chairman7w likes this.
post #4 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
You mean my original XB1 games are not really HD? But they are 480p upscaled to 1080p...
post #5 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 07:34 AM
JSY

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
He's saying that he couldn't tell the difference. He certainly didn't say that there isn't a difference between the two - just that in COD he couldn't tell. He's rendering an opinion to those who own both systems and frankly he's 100% right - why am I going to buy the version that none of my friends have?

Isn't this PS4 vs XB1 (really, Sony vs MS) b.s. that each side has to do to justify their purchase so tiring? Enjoy what you have!
The Outcast and frankthetoad like this.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post

Isn't this PS4 vs XB1 (really, Sony vs MS) b.s. that each side has to do to justify their purchase so tiring? Enjoy what you have!

Couldn't have said it better myself. While I may not like Microsoft's attitude towards next-gen, I realize each system has it's own set of merits. Just enjoy what you have.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post

He's saying that he couldn't tell the difference. He certainly didn't say that there isn't a difference between the two - just that in COD he couldn't tell. He's rendering an opinion to those who own both systems and frankly he's 100% right - why am I going to buy the version that none of my friends have?

well said
post #8 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 182
WRONG! We must continue this juvenile war that none of us can ever provide solid evidence to backup our point other than simply we are ignorant in never having experienced the opposing console. Therefore whatever opinions we read must become fact and we must forever live by said opinions!

LONG LIVE WiiU!

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @gundumgaming

post #9 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Some people can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray either. I'm glad I'm not like those people.
metallicaband likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In order to agree with the article, I'll have to downsize by 90".

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:

post #11 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

In order to agree with the article, I'll have to downsize by 90".

Or sit outside in your backyard while you play squinting through your window wink.gif
post #12 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Either biased or need their eyes checked for glasses. You can most certainly tell between 720p and 1080p. Especially on a big screen 55+.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I have a feeling the 720p vs. 1080p debate will be going on for a while (for no other reason than just to complain about something). Honestly, for those that can't tell the difference or deny there is one (speaking of both games and Bluray video here), I feel bad for you.
freemeat likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #14 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I can say for me at present If i have seen something before in 1080 vs 720 I will generally be able to tell the difference, if however my first and only exposure is to one or the other I MIGHT be hard pressed to immediately tell them apart.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:

Twitter: @gundumgaming

post #15 of 33 Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Honestly, if there was a double blind test of this, I'm not sure the vast majority of people would be able to tell...
post #16 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Aetherhole likes this.
post #17 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Honestly, if there was a double blind test of this, I'm not sure the vast majority of people would be able to tell...

I doubt the average joe could tell what resolution it is just by looking at it (or even understands that concept.) But if you put the two side by side, they'd all pick the higher resolution one every time.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I think this all goes back to most people have smaller HDTVs and sit too far to resolve 1080p vs 720p. I am sitting 14' from a 65" and I couldn't tell from that distance. Most people I know own much smaller HDTVs and sit way too far from them.

Is there a difference? Yes.

Does it matter in the majority of homes? No

Most of the world is not like us. People in this forum spend big money on A/V and know all the ins and outs of the hobby. Once I move I will not be 14' from my TV thankfully. I am also buying a projector so I will be able to tell a difference. I am not the norm. Of all the people I know, I am the only one who is into this hobby the way I am. I come here to hang out with tech geeks like myself to talk about the hobby I love.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #19 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Sure, but they always come to me to ask what's the best thing to get. They may not understand the concepts, or care about the particulars...but they still care about getting the best for their money.

Every time I tell someone that the cheaper PS4 looks better they just stare at me in disbelief. Like how is that possible, it's cheaper? Also, almost everyone I knew that had even a passive interest in gaming already knew quite a bit about the X1 DRM, and no one wanted kinect either.

I don't think we give "average joe" enough credit, it's not that hard to google something nowadays, and everyone's talking about everything on Facebook. The difference between being uninformed and knowing what's up is like a minute or two on the smartphone that's always in your pocket.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #20 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
the upscaled nonsense needs to stop. It almost borders on false advertising. Its crazy we are even having this discussion on "next gen" systems. I was doing true 1080p on PC's two years ago on an slightly above average machine.
post #21 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 64
I don't even know why we have this discussion at THIS JUNCTURE. I am giving MS the benefit fo the doubt to get their act in gear, and wait until next holiday season to fully get a handle on the Xbox One programming issues. Personally none of the games as a whole this launch blow me away, gameplay wise (although I am enjoying Forza 5 on Xbox One), and the only game that I am remotely interested in visually is Killzone (PS4 of course) and Assassins Creed (which looks good on both systems). COD is COD, and regardless resolution gate here, it looks like COD on both platforms.

It will be interesting to see more news about Titanfall. If it remains at 720p, which rumour mills report it might, then I will start to get concerned. If come next September leading into holiday season the Xbox One doesn't get into gear, then this discussion will be REALLY relevant and there will be concerns regarding the Xbox One and upscaling versus native 1080p.

Outtie

I don't have alot of posts since I joined AVS Forums in 2004. I mainly read the information in threads as a source of research material. - quoted from The Outcast in April 2007.
post #22 of 33 Old 11-28-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

I don't even know why we have this discussion at THIS JUNCTURE. I am giving MS the benefit fo the doubt to get their act in gear, and wait until next holiday season to fully get a handle on the Xbox One programming issues. Personally none of the games as a whole this launch blow me away, gameplay wise (although I am enjoying Forza 5 on Xbox One), and the only game that I am remotely interested in visually is Killzone (PS4 of course) and Assassins Creed (which looks good on both systems). COD is COD, and regardless resolution gate here, it looks like COD on both platforms.

It will be interesting to see more news about Titanfall. If it remains at 720p, which rumour mills report it might, then I will start to get concerned. If come next September leading into holiday season the Xbox One doesn't get into gear, then this discussion will be REALLY relevant and there will be concerns regarding the Xbox One and upscaling versus native 1080p.

Outtie

u pretty much nailed it for me. I like a lot about the one. Really enjoying mine. Right now, like it a lot more then my two dead ps4's! but even when they did work, the one is more impressive in its own way. But if they can't deliver 1080p without scaling it on future titles, they are in big trouble. I have had each Xbox console, and have always enjoyed them as a gamers machine, but I'm a little concerned this time around - hence why I got a PS4.

Also, I don't think we can stream mkv or dlna to the xbox1??!? and with Sony saying that they will add it to the PS4 soon, that could be a huge issue for me with the Xbox1 and could be the first real nail in their coffin.
post #23 of 33 Old 11-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

Outtie

I could agree with this if the Xbox One was the only console out right now... but it isn't. The PS4 is able to run most of these games at 1080p that the xbox can only do at 720p. This is a big difference out of the gate since this gen the PS4s power seems to be a real world thing (as opposed to the ps3 which on paper seemed better than the 360 but in real world we all liked the 360 more).

Will microsoft find a way to get games out at 1080p by next year? I'd say yes. The problem is Sony can do this right now, do you think they're not going to improve by next year too? There's 4 basic things games need to balance, resolution, frame rate, textures, and polygons. Visually, yes, both consoles look similar right now meaning the textures and polygons are *probably* the same on both. Same with frame rate. So if the One wants to do the same resolution as the PS4 it means they're going to need to sacrifice somewhere else to keep those framerates at 60.

Stay with me here, I'm trying to keep it simple. Yes, there are always new tricks game desingers find to squeeze extra power out of a console (just look at Perfect Dark Zero vs Gears of war 3 and you'll see). But they'll do the same thing with the PS4 and continue to improve that. When the Xbox one is finally able to pull off 1080p and 60fps, the PS4 may be doing 128 player battlefield 5 matches or have even higher polygon counts with better AI. I don't think some people are really thinking about this.

*Note. I've been a PC gamer since windows 95 and a xbox fanboy since the first xbox, I only bought a PS3 on Thursday for that $199 ps3/last of combo (awesome game btw). So just do discredit anyone who claims I'm some Sony fanboy, I'm someone who has done everything he could to find a reason to like the Xbox One and is completely dissapointed. :(

post #24 of 33 Old 11-30-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thats a crazy ass learning curve the xbox one has if next years COD is 1080p with the same visuals as the PS4 version. Going from 720P to 1080P requires rendering more than twice the amount of pixels. Also, I can't imagine Infinity Ward was lazy or didn't have the resources, as COD has always been Microsofts baby. Surely MS would of sent some tech guys to help if needed.

For years I have been hearing the PC gamers brag about 1080P. Now all of a sudden it does not matter.....
benjamin-benjami likes this.

PSN: UndeadREDD

post #25 of 33 Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM

Liked: 10

Well that's what I'm saying William, we've heard all this talk about how both consoles are super similar and should be easy to develop for. Infinity Ward (and others) have had a year or two of specs to work with and get things figured out and the PS4 is already significantly better. This just really worries me, it's not like it was with the 360 where they can pull magic out of the system as they "get used to it". Both systems are very similar in terms of architecture so I don't see how the Xbox One can magically get better through software alone yet the PS4 won't. I'm just really bummed at Microsoft putting such a low care on gaming and putting all their effort into the Kinect that nobody wants and catering to the non gaming crowd with tv apps and whatnot.

post #26 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iemcj View Post

I could agree with this if the Xbox One was the only console out right now... but it isn't. The PS4 is able to run most of these games at 1080p that the xbox can only do at 720p. This is a big difference out of the gate since this gen the PS4s power seems to be a real world thing (as opposed to the ps3 which on paper seemed better than the 360 but in real world we all liked the 360 more).

Will microsoft find a way to get games out at 1080p by next year? I'd say yes. The problem is Sony can do this right now, do you think they're not going to improve by next year too? There's 4 basic things games need to balance, resolution, frame rate, textures, and polygons. Visually, yes, both consoles look similar right now meaning the textures and polygons are *probably* the same on both. Same with frame rate. So if the One wants to do the same resolution as the PS4 it means they're going to need to sacrifice somewhere else to keep those framerates at 60.

Stay with me here, I'm trying to keep it simple. Yes, there are always new tricks game desingers find to squeeze extra power out of a console (just look at Perfect Dark Zero vs Gears of war 3 and you'll see). But they'll do the same thing with the PS4 and continue to improve that. When the Xbox one is finally able to pull off 1080p and 60fps, the PS4 may be doing 128 player battlefield 5 matches or have even higher polygon counts with better AI. I don't think some people are really thinking about this.

*Note. I've been a PC gamer since windows 95 and a xbox fanboy since the first xbox, I only bought a PS3 on Thursday for that $199 ps3/last of combo (awesome game btw). So just do discredit anyone who claims I'm some Sony fanboy, I'm someone who has done everything he could to find a reason to like the Xbox One and is completely dissapointed. frown.gif

I totally agree with you about Sony being able to continue to advance above and beyond where they are now, and MS still playilng catch up, but in the end I will give MS some legroom here to show that their machine has more then we can hope for. I guess I just hope, given my time with the Xbox 360 in the past, that they can show what great playing and great looking games they have and that they can keep up to the joneses, errrr Sony. The PS4 is a powerhouse for sure.

And as much as MS states it, I want them to actually show us how their "cloud" will indeed help them. All this talk about it makes me want to believe, but I need to see before they will have my full attention.

The next year will prove to be very exciting as we see MS having to show what their machine is capable of, because this launch has given many mixed emotions, and they have some work ahead of them. Heck, this years VGX (formerally Spike Video Game Awards) will prove exciting too as publishers show off some upcoming next-gen wares now that these machines are out.

Outtie

I don't have alot of posts since I joined AVS Forums in 2004. I mainly read the information in threads as a source of research material. - quoted from The Outcast in April 2007.
post #27 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

Either biased or need their eyes checked for glasses. You can most certainly tell between 720p and 1080p. Especially on a big screen 55+.

To be fair, everyone's eyes are different so some people may not be able to tell the difference. Luckily for me I can and I will play the bulk of my games on the console that can deliver a native 1080P picture to my 50" Panny.

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #28 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I think this all goes back to most people have smaller HDTVs and sit too far to resolve 1080p vs 720p. I am sitting 14' from a 65" and I couldn't tell from that distance. Most people I know own much smaller HDTVs and sit way too far from them.

Is there a difference? Yes.

Does it matter in the majority of homes? No

Most of the world is not like us. People in this forum spend big money on A/V and know all the ins and outs of the hobby. Once I move I will not be 14' from my TV thankfully. I am also buying a projector so I will be able to tell a difference. I am not the norm. Of all the people I know, I am the only one who is into this hobby the way I am. I come here to hang out with tech geeks like myself to talk about the hobby I love.

I totally agree with this. I myself only play on a 50" Panny G25, but I also only sit about 6.5 maybe 7 feet away from the display so seeing the difference between 1080 and 720 is easy for me.

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #29 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

To be fair, everyone's eyes are different so some people may not be able to tell the difference. Luckily for me I can and I will play the bulk of my games on the console that can deliver a native 1080P picture to my 50" Panny.

my wife has trouble noticing the difference between 480 and 1080!
post #30 of 33 Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I don't even play CoD so I'm not sure why I care, but what is the source of those pictures? The XB1 picture doesn't even look like 720p, that looks like a much lower resolution. The thing is, if you've played Ryse it would be obvious that 720p CoD has nothing to do with the XB1's capability and everything to do with Infinity Ward releasing an inferior product. For that reason, I wouldn't buy the game on XB1 (much like I passed on BF4) because I'm not going to reward the studio for releasing an inferior product.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page