PS4 audio settings - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 103 Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just got an email from 2K recommending to change my audio settings on the PS4 from HDMI to Digital Out (OPTICAL) and disable DDS5.1, DTS5.1 and ACC (with Linear PCM checked), they said that would fix the issue. Unfortunately it didn't work, still getting the audio cutting out in matches. I guess I'll have to wait for Sony to drop the 1.7 update, maybe it'll fix this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum even if I have known AVS for a long time.

I don't have HDMI on my amp and my projector anymore because of an overvoltage in my flat. My PS4 is now plugged in optical on the amp, which is a Pioneer VSX-919.

I've only the two front speakers now and I've been wondering which is the best format. I understood that Linear PCM was the best via bitstream. The thing is that my amp seems to be less vibrant than lossy dts or dolby counterparts, which is kind of paradoxical for me.

For the information, I tried bitstream and bitstram mix on a bluray in this 2.1 setup with an optical cable, and I've been surprised that with linear PCM checked :

In bitstream, I just have the lossy dts or dolby decoding in the bluray menu.

In bitstream mix, I have the lossless DTS-HD or Dolby True HD put forward in the bluray menu.

For those who were wondering what the real difference was between bitstream and bistream mix,we may have the beginning of an answer in the 2.1 setup.

The only way to have lossless sound via optical out on bluray films then is to highlight Linear PCM in bitstream mix.

Am I right ? I wanted to be confirmed on this theory.

Thanks.

post #93 of 103 Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you're using optical,you're not getting lossless sound,you're getting its' lossy core.
post #94 of 103 Old 05-07-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

If you're using optical,you're not getting lossless sound,you're getting its' lossy core.

Not if I'm in a stereo setup. The lossless linear pcm can go through a stereo setup via optical, but that's the limit of this type of connection.

post #95 of 103 Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

I just got an email from 2K recommending to change my audio settings on the PS4 from HDMI to Digital Out (OPTICAL) and disable DDS5.1, DTS5.1 and ACC (with Linear PCM checked), they said that would fix the issue. Unfortunately it didn't work, still getting the audio cutting out in matches. I guess I'll have to wait for Sony to drop the 1.7 update, maybe it'll fix this.

That's exactly what I did to improve my 2.1 setup via optical out. And the difference is real for the movies with a really more detailed and shining sound. I watched Jaws yesterday night which is in 7.1. The sound is far better than when DDS5.1, DTS 5.1 and AAC are checked. It's logic by the way given that all the informations which go to the satellite speakers directly go to the front speakers now.

And when I tried to change between linear pcm, bitstream direct or bitstream mix in the PS4 bluray menu once the film had started, there was no cut of the sound as it used to be when DDS5.1, DTS5.1 and AAC were checked (DTS was then on the screen of the amp even if PS4 bluray menu was showing DTS HD MA in this setup) and I thought at the time that the sound was not very punchy : the dialogs were not very clear and pared back (I'm a French who's watching the original versions, when you don't catch a word, it's easier to notice when the sound is not crystal clear concerning dialogs).

By the way, I left it in bitstream direct because I know it's just the way it should be. In this setup, my Pioneer amp shows me STEREO on its screen. The pure 7.1 DTS HD MA in Jaws is converted in pure stereo with the default linear pcm 44,1 Khz or 48 Khz (which are automatically checked in the sound and screen menu, optical out branch) from the PS4.

It's important for those who are just like me in a stereo setup in optical out to disable DDS5.1, DTS5.1 and AAC (with Linear PCM checked). I don't know for those who are hooked in HDMI but for Optical, that's the way it is and I'm very happy to have solved the problem. Try it, compare and you wouldn't want to come back to the defaulft PS4 setup which automatically enables DDS 5.1, DTS 5.1 and AAC in its sound and screen menu.

post #96 of 103 Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Hi can someone help I can't seem to get picture or sound on my ps4 through my cinema system on hdmi I just get the multi pcm come on the front panel unlock comes up and repeats like it's trying to connect but don't?:-)
post #97 of 103 Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax001 View Post

Hi can someone help I can't seem to get picture or sound on my ps4 through my cinema system on hdmi I just get the multi pcm come on the front panel unlock comes up and repeats like it's trying to connect but don't?:-)

Does it work direct to the TV? Did anything else work when connected? If it's not the ps4 you will need to work with the cinema system it whatever.
post #98 of 103 Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

Does it work direct to the TV? Did anything else work when connected? If it's not the ps4 you will need to work with the cinema system it whatever.
post #99 of 103 Old 05-30-2014, 04:33 AM

Yea works on direct to tv lol had to buy a optical lead and everything else seems to work I had the ps4 working before so it's gotta be something in settings lol :-)
post #100 of 103 Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I just upgrade my PS3 to PS4 and when I open my PS4 it only give me 720p and 2.1 PCM instead of 1080p + 7.1 PCM.

My old setup is PS3 > HDMI to HDMI Splitter then one HDMI cable go through my receiver(DA2400ES) and another one to my monitor with HDMI-DVI.

If I turn off my receiver i will get 1080p but no sound or turn off my splitter and i will get 7.1 PCM without video.

It was working perfect on my PS3 for like 3 years until today.

Last edited by godwindx; 06-12-2014 at 03:45 AM.
post #101 of 103 Old 07-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks to everyone posting here regarding the PS4's HDMI audio problems. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805. No problems with PS3, DVR, XBox, but the PS4 would not
send anything but 2.0 channel audio over HDMI. Tried every possible combination / sound toggle / configuration (both console and bluray playback software)...no luck.

Was ready to send this PS4 back as I considered sending the "optical audio" over the HDMI a defect (and convinced their CS rep of this as well), but really suspected the console
was fine. So I dug into my bin o'cables and pulled out an optical cable. Connected it and now getting DD 5.1 and DTS fine which is fine with me for the time being.

Hope this helps anyone out there in the same boat I was.

T
post #102 of 103 Old 07-13-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I know recently I found out the PS4 HDMI cable I had was defective. I had been having some issues but they were intermittent. But I finally figured out it was the HDMI cable that came with my PS4 after I tried it with a couple of other devices. So I just cut the cable and threw it away. I should have never used it anyway. I rarely use the HDMi cables that come with the devices. But I made an exception with the PS4 and XBOne and used those HDMI cables. I normally use Monoprice HDMI cables. Fortunately my XBOne cable has been fine so far but I will probably change that out to just to avoid a chance of issues later. Whenever I get my second PS4 I will make sure I don't touch the HDMI cable that comes with it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #103 of 103 Old 07-14-2014, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I know recently I found out the PS4 HDMI cable I had was defective. I had been having some issues but they were intermittent. But I finally figured out it was the HDMI cable that came with my PS4 after I tried it with a couple of other devices. So I just cut the cable and threw it away. I should have never used it anyway. I rarely use the HDMi cables that come with the devices. But I made an exception with the PS4 and XBOne and used those HDMI cables. I normally use Monoprice HDMI cables. Fortunately my XBOne cable has been fine so far but I will probably change that out to just to avoid a chance of issues later. Whenever I get my second PS4 I will make sure I don't touch the HDMI cable that comes with it.
Agreed on the PS4 freebie cable, mine was casuing drops when being fed through a monoprice 4 x1 switcher. Threw it away as well and no issues since.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page