PS4 audio settings - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 127 Old 11-14-2014, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Everyone, I've been a long time follower and reader of AVS but just now decided to put in my 2 cents since I'm also having a similar issue with the PS4.
First of all, My equipment is PS4, Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 setup and Sony KDL-55HX800 ALL on HDMI (aftermarket)
PS4 settings and results on Main Interface (XMB): Main Audio Linear PCM= No Center speaker and Low volume (tones while going through options) on Front L & R speakers, Onkyo shows "Direct" and PCM in small letters
Main Audio Bitstream Dolby= Center speaker has normal volume (tones) as well as FR & FL, Onkyo Shows Dolby Digital EX
Main Audio Bitstream DTS= Center speaker has normal volume (tones) as well as FR & FL, Onkyo Shows DTS
PS4 settings and results on Shadow of Mordor: Main Audio Linear PCM= No center speaker in dialog or cut scenes only FR and FL speakers Onkyo shows "Direct" (didn't get to "play" since the audio wasn't working)
Main Audio Bitstream Dolby= Center speaker has normal volume as well as all speakers , Onkyo Shows Dolby Digital EX (audio sounds good during game play all speakers)
Main Audio Bitstream DTS= Center speaker has normal volume as well as all speakers , Onkyo Shows DTS (audio sounds good during game play all speakers)
In all 3 settings the display that shows the speakers that are working on the Onkyo shows all 7 speakers are active even if there is no sound from center speaker.
I also tried Call of Duty: Advance Warfare with the exact same results.
I tried the setting the Optical as output (no actual cable) and Onkyo shows the mentioned Dolby Pro Logic II.
Now... Is the Dolby Pro Logic II (or fake surround) better than the Bitstream Dolby & DTS settings? (Doesn't sound like it should be...)
No Problems while on Blu-Ray using Bitstream on Blu-Ray menu and it shows correct audio on Onkyo.
Questions are welcome as well as help with my question.
Please pardon the repetitiveness but I wanted to be as specific as possible to avoid confusion.
PS: Shadow of Mordor shows on the back of the case that it supports DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital, Call Of Duty:AW shows it supports Dolby Digital
I'm guessing the best setting will depend on what format the game supports given a malfunctioning Linear PCM setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 PM

And just to be a bit more thorough the PS4 has update 2.02
post #123 of 127 Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by hm.crespo View Post
Hello Everyone, I've been a long time follower and reader of AVS but just now decided to put in my 2 cents since I'm also having a similar issue with the PS4.
First of all, My equipment is PS4, Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 setup and Sony KDL-55HX800 ALL on HDMI (aftermarket)
PS4 settings and results on Main Interface (XMB): Main Audio Linear PCM= No Center speaker and Low volume (tones while going through options) on Front L & R speakers, Onkyo shows "Direct" and PCM in small letters
Main Audio Bitstream Dolby= Center speaker has normal volume (tones) as well as FR & FL, Onkyo Shows Dolby Digital EX
Main Audio Bitstream DTS= Center speaker has normal volume (tones) as well as FR & FL, Onkyo Shows DTS
PS4 settings and results on Shadow of Mordor: Main Audio Linear PCM= No center speaker in dialog or cut scenes only FR and FL speakers Onkyo shows "Direct" (didn't get to "play" since the audio wasn't working)
Main Audio Bitstream Dolby= Center speaker has normal volume as well as all speakers , Onkyo Shows Dolby Digital EX (audio sounds good during game play all speakers)
Main Audio Bitstream DTS= Center speaker has normal volume as well as all speakers , Onkyo Shows DTS (audio sounds good during game play all speakers)
In all 3 settings the display that shows the speakers that are working on the Onkyo shows all 7 speakers are active even if there is no sound from center speaker.
I also tried Call of Duty: Advance Warfare with the exact same results.
I tried the setting the Optical as output (no actual cable) and Onkyo shows the mentioned Dolby Pro Logic II.
Now... Is the Dolby Pro Logic II (or fake surround) better than the Bitstream Dolby & DTS settings? (Doesn't sound like it should be...)
No Problems while on Blu-Ray using Bitstream on Blu-Ray menu and it shows correct audio on Onkyo.
Questions are welcome as well as help with my question.
Please pardon the repetitiveness but I wanted to be as specific as possible to avoid confusion.
PS: Shadow of Mordor shows on the back of the case that it supports DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital, Call Of Duty:AW shows it supports Dolby Digital
I'm guessing the best setting will depend on what format the game supports given a malfunctioning Linear PCM setting.
Is it possible that your receiver has independent channel balance for each mode?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #124 of 127 Old 11-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Is it possible that your receiver has independent channel balance for each mode?
Its possible, however coming from 2 Onkyo receivers and plenty of devices I have never had to mess with any of those specific settings. The way I see it, if the PS4 is in fact working properly it should just work. Right?
post #125 of 127 Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by hm.crespo View Post
Its possible, however coming from 2 Onkyo receivers and plenty of devices I have never had to mess with any of those specific settings. The way I see it, if the PS4 is in fact working properly it should just work. Right?

Well, that's assuming your receiver is set up correctly. On my denon "direct" bypasses all processing, including channel balance. I would think that if it shows DTS and DD on the hud for the other modes, that it would show PCM on the HUD in PCM mode.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #126 of 127 Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi what are the best settings for ps4 for buray playback under video output settings? I have panasonic plasma VT60 tv. TIA.
RGB RANGE - AUTOMATIC? FULL? LIMITED?

YPB/CB PR/CR RANGE - AUTOMATIC? LIMITED? FULL?

DEEP COLOR OUTPUT- AUTOMATIC? OFF?

DISPLAY MODE - NORMAL? FULL?

DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL - OFF? ON? AUTOMATIC?
post #127 of 127 Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Well, that's assuming your receiver is set up correctly. On my denon "direct" bypasses all processing, including channel balance. I would think that if it shows DTS and DD on the hud for the other modes, that it would show PCM on the HUD in PCM mode.
Right, I know I wrote a lot so its easy to miss but I did say that it shows PCM in small letters on the receiver's display.
I guess its possible that the receiver works perfectly on every other mode but this one, I did try to change the listening modes while on direct and there were some options but it was basically stereo or mono versions of the same.
Is anybody aware of any setting on the Onkyos that will allow Linear PCM to work correctly?
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page