PS4 audio settings - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #151 of 155 Old 02-18-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Some stellar examples include Destiny, the Division, and Battlefield games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 155 Old 02-19-2017, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I tested 3 games.

Final Fantasy XV: 7.1 channels in LPCM. 5.1 channels in Bitstreaming. Full use of all channels including the center.

Order 1886: 7.1 channels in LPCM. 5.1 channels in bitstreaming. Majority of the mix is in the front L/R speakers with occasional/directional sounds out into the surrounds. No use of the center channel whatsoever.

Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor. 7.1 channels in LPCM. 5.1 channels bitstreaming. No sound coming from the center channel but makes full use of the surround channels. Heavy use even. Surround content us quite robust. Subtle sounds are shunted to the mini-speaker in the DS4 controller (!!) But are also subtly presented through the surrounds as well giving one the sense that while you hear it coming from right in front of you (the controller) it also sounds like it is coming from everywhere at once, but in a very subtle manner. EXCELLENT use of surround channels.
OddyOh and bradman like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #153 of 155 Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 3
When I play an AVI file on my playstation 4 Pro via the media player I can't get my yamaha 2030 to play in surround. The signal is 2.0 but my surround decoder on my AVR would normally process it thought to simulate 5.1 My Playstation 3 plays the file exactly how its suppose to via my AVR. Playing the file on my PS4 just cant get it to work. I've tried PCM/bitstream DTS and Dolby...never fixes it.

Anyone else have this issue? It also does the SAMEthing on the Youtube app on the PS4, but playing youtube on my firestick = no issue. What am I missing?

post #154 of 155 Unread Today, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I am using Onkyo TXNR3030, my set up is 7.1.4 what would be the best audio settings for both ps4 and my onkyo?

Thanks a lot.
post #155 of 155 Unread Today, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon1925 View Post
Hi,

I am using Onkyo TXNR3030, my set up is 7.1.4 what would be the best audio settings for both ps4 and my onkyo?

Thanks a lot.

your Onkyo should be fairly automatic and play the content how it is sent to it. You should be able to set it up to automatically process 2.0 to matrix via Pro Logic II or Neuro6 (or via Dolby Surround or DTS:X) but I would stick to choosing those options when you need them.

Your PS4 you can choose LPCM (the default) Bitstream(Dolby) or Bitstream(DTS). If your games have Atmos or Dolby Digital or DTS, and you want your Onkyo to process the sound, choose Bitstreaming. If not, you can choose PCM and have your PS4 process the audio with little issues (hopefully).

When it comes to playing Blu Ray movies, there is a separate menu in the Blu Ray or DVD settings after booting up the movie where you can manually choose the processing method (LPCM vs Bitstream). In general it seems to default to Bitstreaming, which I would leave alone for purposes of your Onkyo processing Dolby TruHD, DTS:MA or Atmos/DTSX. For movies, bitstreaming would be the proper setting.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console