PS4 audio settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 103 Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do I have this correct? If it's set to PCM, it decodes the signal and then sends it to my AVR. If it's set to bitstream, it just sends the raw signal and my AVR decodes it. Either way, it's still sending a digital signal to the AVR, which uses its own DAC to convert it, right? Is the digital-to-analog conversion a different process than the Dolby decoding? Is it better to let the PS4 decode or let my AVR decode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 12-01-2013, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I assume you are talking about the main audio settings, and not the menu that you can access when playing blu-rays.

This setting will determine how game audio is encoded and sent to your receiver or TV. The PS4 will be mixing audio on the fly according to what is happening in the game, and will not really be "decoding" anything. The PCM setting will send the raw audio. (7.1 over HDMI or 2.0 over optical.) If you have this set to Dolby Digital or DTS, it will encode the audio into that format and bit-stream it out for your receiver to decode. This is on both the HDMI and optical outputs.

If you are using optical out, it is most likely because your AVR does not have HDMI inputs. In this case, you have a real choice to make, lossless 2.0 audio (PCM), or lossy 5.1 audio* (Dolby Digital and DTS). I'd go with the lossy 5.1 option (DTS if your AVR supports it.)

Hopefully you are hooking up to your AVR via HDMI. In that case, leave the game audio set to PCM. With the Dolby and DTS options, you will be getting lossy audio limited to 5.1, and adding an encoding step on the PS4 and decoding step on the AVR. The PCM is lossless and, according to my AVR, 7.1.

Hope this helps.

*This may be 5.1 EX or 6.1 DTS ES, but I'm too lazy to check right now. Either way, the gaming DTS and Dolby Digital will be the older lossy variants, not lossless DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD.
post #3 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK View Post

I assume you are talking about the main audio settings, and not the menu that you can access when playing blu-rays.

This setting will determine how game audio is encoded and sent to your receiver or TV. The PS4 will be mixing audio on the fly according to what is happening in the game, and will not really be "decoding" anything. The PCM setting will send the raw audio. (7.1 over HDMI or 2.0 over optical.) If you have this set to Dolby Digital or DTS, it will encode the audio into that format and bit-stream it out for your receiver to decode. This is on both the HDMI and optical outputs.

If you are using optical out, it is most likely because your AVR does not have HDMI inputs. In this case, you have a real choice to make, lossless 2.0 audio (PCM), or lossy 5.1 audio* (Dolby Digital and DTS). I'd go with the lossy 5.1 option (DTS if your AVR supports it.)

Hopefully you are hooking up to your AVR via HDMI. In that case, leave the game audio set to PCM. With the Dolby and DTS options, you will be getting lossy audio limited to 5.1, and adding an encoding step on the PS4 and decoding step on the AVR. The PCM is lossless and, according to my AVR, 7.1.

Hope this helps.

*This may be 5.1 EX or 6.1 DTS ES, but I'm too lazy to check right now. Either way, the gaming DTS and Dolby Digital will be the older lossy variants, not lossless DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD.

Thanks. Yeah, I have it hooked up via HDMI. My only problem now is there appears to be some kind of audio issue with the PS4. Regardless of if I choose PCM or bitstream, I don't get center channel audio. The only work around I've found so far is to set the PS4 to optical out and then have it send Dolby. Then I can pick ProLogic II. The weird thing is, I have optical out set on the PS4 and I'm getting sound, but there isn't an optical cable connected. confused.gif
post #4 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post

Thanks. Yeah, I have it hooked up via HDMI. My only problem now is there appears to be some kind of audio issue with the PS4. Regardless of if I choose PCM or bitstream, I don't get center channel audio. The only work around I've found so far is to set the PS4 to optical out and then have it send Dolby. Then I can pick ProLogic II. The weird thing is, I have optical out set on the PS4 and I'm getting sound, but there isn't an optical cable connected. confused.gif

What is your receiver set to? Be sure you aren't using Stereo or any other settings that might exclude the center channel. Also iirc there is an option in the PS4 settings to indicate the size of your center channel. Believe I have mine set to small and get slightly better sound than when set to normal.

I'd check receiver first.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #5 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

What is your receiver set to? Be sure you aren't using Stereo or any other settings that might exclude the center channel. Also iirc there is an option in the PS4 settings to indicate the size of your center channel. Believe I have mine set to small and get slightly better sound than when set to normal.

I'd check receiver first.

I've fooled around with the settings on my AVR, but no luck. It'll even say Dolby Digital or whatever, but no sound in the center. There's a thread on the Sony support forum going about this and it definitely seems like a PS4 issue. It seems to work OK for movies, but games are a problem.
moonbagel likes this.
post #6 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 PM

ProLogic II is a processing option that creates a 5.1 soundtrack from 2.0 input. It would make sense that your receiver will activate that processing when the PS4 is sending a 2.0 signal, but not for 5.1 audio (including the Dolby Digital and DTS bitstream options on the PS4).

I suspect it might be sending 2.0 out on HDMI as well if you have the primary output set to optical out and PCM, since that is the max PCM optical will support. This is exactly what happened when I tried this on my PS4.

So, in Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Audio Output Settings, start by doing the following, and post back whether it works for you or not:
- Set Primary Output Port to HDMI
- Set Audio Format (Priority) to Linear PCM
post #7 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ProLogic II is a processing option that creates a 5.1 soundtrack from 2.0 input. It would make sense that your receiver will activate that processing when the PS4 is sending a 2.0 signal, but not for 5.1 audio (including the Dolby Digital and DTS bitstream options on the PS4).

I suspect it might be sending 2.0 out on HDMI as well if you have the primary output set to optical out and PCM, since that is the max PCM optical will support. This is exactly what happened when I tried this on my PS4.

So, in Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Audio Output Settings, start by doing the following, and post back whether it works for you or not:
- Set Primary Output Port to HDMI
- Set Audio Format (Priority) to Linear PCM

Yep, the settings you just posted are what I originally tried. Those seem optimal and should work, but there's no center channel sound even though my receiver thinks it's getting multichannel PCM.
post #8 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post

Yep, the settings you just posted are what I originally tried. Those seem optimal and should work, but there's no center channel sound even though my receiver thinks it's getting multichannel PCM.

Not sure if you posted, but is this with games only? If so which ones? Are you using the HDMI cable Sony provided or after market?

I found that Resogun doesn't appear to do 5.1 but Killzone does just fine.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #9 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 168
A lot of games last gen didn't make use of the center channel for whatever reason. Looks like there is some carryover.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #10 of 103 Old 12-03-2013, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Not sure if you posted, but is this with games only? If so which ones? Are you using the HDMI cable Sony provided or after market?

I found that Resogun doesn't appear to do 5.1 but Killzone does just fine.

Yeah, it seems to be with games only. I'm using an aftermarket HDMI cable (amazon).
post #11 of 103 Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM

I just started playing a good chunk Call of Duty: Ghosts, and besides cinematics and a few key sounds, it did not use the center channel. Switching to DTS bitstream did not change that. Since the center channel works fine for me as well with Killzone, I guess for COD, it is a sound design choice. (A poor one IMHO.)

Just curious, which games are you playing?
post #12 of 103 Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just started playing a good chunk Call of Duty: Ghosts, and besides cinematics and a few key sounds, it did not use the center channel. Switching to DTS bitstream did not change that. Since the center channel works fine for me as well with Killzone, I guess for COD, it is a sound design choice. (A poor one IMHO.)

Just curious, which games are you playing?

I have Killzone, COD and also Resogun and another Indie game. I will have to check KZ, but I don't remember if it was playing center channel or not. COD definitely doesn't and the other games don't either unless I fake it out with ProLogic. Here's the thread going over on Sony. Lot's of unhappy people...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/PS4-audio-problems/td-p/42169325
post #13 of 103 Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It seems I keep hearing 2 different stories on the topic of audio.....

1. I hear PCM is the raw audio sent to my AVR, so I can decode the audio...

or

2. Bit-stream sends the raw audio.

It cant be both........

Now grant you. If either device is good ( really good that is ) at decoding, I don't really think it matters much. But like in my case. I'd want my Denon 4520 to do all the work. Isn't that why I bought it ?

So, which one is it? What sends the purist, most raw audio to the AVR ????
post #14 of 103 Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

AC4 is using center channel for me. Wonder if it is your console?

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #15 of 103 Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

It seems I keep hearing 2 different stories on the topic of audio.....

1. I hear PCM is the raw audio sent to my AVR, so I can decode the audio...

or

2. Bit-stream sends the raw audio.

It cant be both........

Now grant you. If either device is good ( really good that is ) at decoding, I don't really think it matters much. But like in my case. I'd want my Denon 4520 to do all the work. Isn't that why I bought it ?

So, which one is it? What sends the purist, most raw audio to the AVR ????

Well, it all depends how you look at it, and it is very philosophical.
  • PCM is a bitstream as well, since the PS4 has no analog out.
  • PCM is not really decoded, it just goes through a digital to analog conversion.
  • PCM is decoded because it goes through a digital to analog conversion.
  • PCM is probably the raw audio because that is ultimately the form it is in when the system mixes the sound assets according to what is happening on the screen.
  • PCM might not be the raw audio because the sound files on the disc may be compressed to improve loading times. (Actually, I'm pretty sure the PS4 has on the fly zip decompression hardware, so EVERYTHING is compressed.)
  • Bit-stream (as in the Dolby Digital and DTS options on the PS4) is not the "raw" audio because it must be decoded into what is actually the "raw" audio.
  • Bit-stream is the raw audio if player is simply transferring that stream of bits out to the AVR, as is always the case when you "bit-stream" movie soundtracks. However, this is not the case with video game soundtracks since they are mixed on the system in response to what is happening in the game.

So, based on my philosophical view, the "the purist, most raw audio" for PS4 games will be the PCM option, and this will be better than the lossy Dolby Digital and DTS the PS4 outputs on bit-stream mode for games. Unfortunately for you, this gives your receiver (and the PS4) less work to do, but I hope you bought it for the end result of the work it does, even if it is not doing "all" of the work. wink.gif
post #16 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hope this helps.

I have an Onkyo AVR that is hooked up over HDMI. I set my PS4 to PCM. Now, the part I don't understand is on my AVR if I select "Multich" I'm not getting sound out of my 2 rear speakers and the full 7.1. If I select "All Ch St" I do get all speakers working. Is it okay that I'm selecting All Channel on my AVR (it does say MCH PCM 7.1 when I hit the display button and Multichannel up top)? Here is how it looks on my Onkyo. I tested out Ghosts and sound isn't coming in all as one level through my speakers as I feared. It does sound like lossy 7.1 with grenades coming in from left/right/behind and not simultaneously. I'd appreciate if you guys could clear this up for me btw do get sound from my Center speaker no issues there.

post #17 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

I have an Onkyo AVR that is hooked up over HDMI. I set my PS4 to PCM. Now, the part I don't understand is on my AVR if I select "Multich" I'm not getting sound out of my 2 rear speakers and the full 7.1. If I select "All Ch St" I do get all speakers working. Is it okay that I'm selecting All Channel on my AVR (it does say MCH PCM 7.1 when I hit the display button and Multichannel up top)? Here is how it looks on my Onkyo. I tested out Ghosts and sound isn't coming in all as one level through my speakers as I feared. It does sound like lossy 7.1 with grenades coming in from left/right/behind and not simultaneously. I'd appreciate if you guys could clear this up for me btw do get sound from my Center speaker no issues there.

If you set your AVR to All Channel stereo, you are not getting True, Discrete Surround sound. You are just spreading a stereo signal to all your speakers. The right setting is the one in the first picture (Multi-CH PCM) but right now the PS4 audio is broken, so you don't get all channels anyway.... Keep in mind that some games might be 5.1 only, so you can't get sound from the added two speakers.
Do you get the Center speaker using MULTI CH PCM (first picture)?
post #18 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

You have exactly same problem as I have. I have to use 5ch stereo to get all speakers alive and that's not surround mode.
post #19 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post

If you set your AVR to All Channel stereo, you are not getting True, Discrete Surround sound. You are just spreading a stereo signal to all your speakers. The right setting is the one in the first picture (Multi-CH PCM) but right now the PS4 audio is broken, so you don't get all channels anyway.... Keep in mind that some games might be 5.1 only, so you can't get sound from the added two speakers.

I'm curious, why do you say the PS4 Audio is broke? I haven't heard anything (but I haven't been looking).

In this case, where the receiver says MultiCh 7.1, is this outputting the true DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, or a lessened audio signal? My Denon 3312 says the same thing when playing movies on the PS4 and I haven't been able to figure out if something is being lost. Usually the receiver will indicate if the sound is DTS-MA or TrueHD, but all mine says is MultiCh 7.1.
post #20 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdepres View Post

I'm curious, why do you say the PS4 Audio is broke? I haven't heard anything (but I haven't been looking).

In this case, where the receiver says MultiCh 7.1, is this outputting the true DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, or a lessened audio signal? My Denon 3312 says the same thing when playing movies on the PS4 and I haven't been able to figure out if something is being lost. Usually the receiver will indicate if the sound is DTS-MA or TrueHD, but all mine says is MultiCh 7.1.

There is a problem just with games not movies; in movies PCM or bitstream doesn't make a difference, because PS4 is able to decode all the formats and output them uncompressed. Games have native uncompressed audio but there is a big problem with the center channel that gets lost for no reason. You are not losing anything with Multi CH 7.1, you are getting the full audio signal on movies...
post #21 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdepres View Post

The option for bit-streaming for games and for movies are separate. When a movie is playing, press the Option button on the controller and go to the settings menu there.
Quote:

There is a problem just with games not movies; in movies PCM or bitstream doesn't make a difference, because PS4 is able to decode all the formats and output them uncompressed. Games have native uncompressed audio but there is a big problem with the center channel that gets lost for no reason. You are not losing anything with Multi CH 7.1, you are getting the full audio signal on movies...

Pretty much the opposite happened for me.

I had lip sync issues with quite a few movie Blu-rays. I forget where I read to do this, but changing the 1080p/24Hz option in the main settings menu from "automatic" to "off" seems to have fixed this.

Out of the three games I have (Assassin's Creed IV, Killzone, and CoD:Ghosts), I only had audio problems with Ghosts, and as mentioned in a previous post, I think that was more a poor sound design choice to not use the center channel for much than broken audio. The other two use the center channel as you'd expect.

In that thread at Sony, it seems lots (although hard to tell when a relative few out of 2 million PS4 owners posting) also had issues with audio not working, especially over the optical output.

I wonder if milehighou checked Killzone to see if that game worked.
post #22 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:

The option for bit-streaming for games and for movies are separate. When a movie is playing, press the Option button on the controller and go to the settings menu there.

I had lip sync issues with quite a few movie Blu-rays. I forget where I read to do this, but changing the 1080p/24Hz option in the main settings menu from "automatic" to "off" seems to have fixed this.

Out of the three games I have (Assassin's Creed IV, Killzone, and CoD:Ghosts), I only had audio problems with Ghosts, and as mentioned in a previous post, I think that was more a poor sound design choice to not use the center channel for much than broken audio. The other two use the center channel as you'd expect.

In that thread at Sony, it seems lots (although hard to tell when a relative few out of 2 million PS4 owners posting) also had issues with audio not working, especially over the optical output.

Resogun and NBA 2K14 for example, don't have center channel and that's an issue and not a sound design choice. Disabling 1080p/24hz is terrible for watching blu-rays but I don't have that problem using optical directly to the receiver. Anyway there are truly big sound problems that should be fixed as soon as possible...
post #23 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you know for a fact that Resogun and NBA 2K14 weren't designed without a center channel? Like I said earlier, it wasn't uncommon last Gen and it seems as though it's carried over. It's not a system side problem, it's a development side problem.

post #24 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:

That's interesting. I just played around with the settings under the option button on the remote. When it was set to Linear PCM, my Denon displayed multich 7.1 and the lip sync was barely noticeble, but it was slightly off. Under Bistream, the Denon clearly said Dobly True HD and the lip sync was WAY off.
post #25 of 103 Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you sure about this though, like I said it's real confusing but the (first picture) up top you see that is me running "All Ch St". I am hitting the display button on my AVR and that's what it tells me MCH PCM 7.1. I took both pictures so you guys could see what it tells me when I hit the "display" button on my Onkyo.

Now if I don't select All Ch St and leave it on the default mode "Multich" (see below) then I get what folks are describing, sound out of only my front left and right speakers and subwoofer. No sound out of the center or my other 4 speakers.

I hope that makes sense. I basically have to select All Channel St for all speakers to work. If I'm not getting True Surround though as you said why is it telling me MCH PCM 7.1 when I hit display? I tested out Ghosts and it's not simply outputting all my speakers at one volume level. I'm hearing grenades coming in from left/right/behind me as I believe 7.1 would work.

I do know on my PS3 selecting All Channel was a big no no and that would ouput everything through my speakers at one volume...w/ my PS4 it doesn't seem to be doing that though hence the above while testing things out in Ghosts.
post #26 of 103 Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Do you know for a fact that Resogun and NBA 2K14 weren't designed without a center channel? Like I said earlier, it wasn't uncommon last Gen and it seems as though it's carried over. It's not a system side problem, it's a development side problem.

NBA 2K13 PS3 (DTS): Audio Commentary coming from the center loud and clear
NBA 2K14 PS4 (DTS): Audio Commentary is not coming from the center channel

So it's safe to assume that this is a big system problem...

Quote:

Are you sure about this though, like I said it's real confusing but the (first picture) up top you see that is me running "All Ch St". I am hitting the display button on my AVR and that's what it tells me MCH PCM 7.1. I took both pictures so you guys could see what it tells me when I hit the "display" button on my Onkyo.

Now if I don't select All Ch St and leave it on the default mode "Multich" (see below) then I get what folks are describing, sound out of only my front left and right speakers and subwoofer. No sound out of the center or my other 4 speakers.

I hope that makes sense. I basically have to select All Channel St for all speakers to work. If I'm not getting True Surround though as you said why is it telling me MCH PCM 7.1 when I hit display? I tested out Ghosts and it's not simply outputting all my speakers at one volume level. I'm hearing grenades coming in from left/right/behind me as I believe 7.1 would work.

The receiver tells you Multich PCM because it is the incoming signal coming from the PS4. But when you select All ch stereo, you change the way the signal is output to your speakers. As the name suggests (All ch stereo) you downmix the signal to stereo and then it is spread (repeated) to all your speakers. So it's not a true discrete surround sound...
post #27 of 103 Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The receiver tells you Multich PCM because it is the incoming signal coming from the PS4. But when you select All ch stereo, you change the way the signal is output to your speakers. As the name suggests (All ch stereo) you downmix the signal to stereo and then it is spread (repeated) to all your speakers. So it's not a true discrete surround sound...
Boo! I thought I was actually onto something, thanks X! Lol
post #28 of 103 Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NBA 2K13 PS3 (DTS): Audio Commentary coming from the center loud and clear
NBA 2K14 PS4 (DTS): Audio Commentary is not coming from the center channel

So it's safe to assume that this is a big system problem...

Not really safe to assume anything at this point. Have you tried reaching out to the developers to see if the game's audio was designed without a center channel?

post #29 of 103 Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Not really safe to assume anything at this point. Have you tried reaching out to the developers to see if the game's audio was designed without a center channel?

I tried to no avail, I would like to know from people with the Xbox One version if they get commentary from the center
post #30 of 103 Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 PM

I can give it a try for you tomorrow as I have ghost on both xbox one and PS4, all hooked up to a 7.1 receiver. I let you know soon smile.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page