optimizing internet connection for ps4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 685
i am not very tech savvy. but can someone explain (or provide a link) to how to "set up your internet" for ps4. Meaning the DMZ, port forwarding, etc...??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have my PS4 in my routers DMZ, which means all the ports, or channels that carry certain types of information online, are open and ready to use. I did it this way to solve a problem, which was getting NAT Type 3 on the connection test. NAT 3 (or Strict) causes problems with voice chat, the ability to join games, and other problems.

Are you having a specific problem or are you just trying to optimize?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #3 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I have my PS4 in my routers DMZ, which means all the ports, or channels that carry certain types of information online, are open and ready to use. I did it this way to solve a problem, which was getting NAT Type 3 on the connection test. NAT 3 (or Strict) causes problems with voice chat, the ability to join games, and other problems.

just trying to optimize...
post #4 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You should not require any special port forwarding for the PS4 from my experience. Also, putting anything on your local network into a DMZ at this point is crazy talk.
Spanglo likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

just trying to optimize...

Have you run the connection test in the PS4 network settings section? If you get NAT type 1 or 2 you are good to go. Also you can take the down and upload speeds and compare them to what your ISP is supposed to provide. If they're in the ballpark then you're about as optimal as you can get.

I used DMZ because I was having a specific problem with games giving me a warning about strict NAT when I played them, along with connection issues. If you're not having these problems then using DMZ is not necessary or even recommended.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #6 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

cool i will try the connection test.. i didn't even know that existed..
post #7 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

You should not require any special port forwarding for the PS4 from my experience. Also, putting anything on your local network into a DMZ at this point is crazy talk.
Why.? I assume safety issue ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #8 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 13
If you run a webserver and watch your logs, easily 90% (generally more) of that traffic is generated by bots and most of that is of the unwanted / malicious variety. Equivalent amounts of malicious traffic will be pointed towards home networks mapping things out and looking for vulnerable devices to compromise (many D-Link routers, Samsung smart TVs, etc.)

Having a DMZ means you have to implicitly trust that the router deals with this sanely (that there is no traffic leakage across your local network) and that the device in the DMZ is 100% secure (can't be used for reflection, can't itself be compromised, etc.).
post #9 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
DMZ only means that in the context of home routers. Normally a DMZ simply means it is where your internet facing servers are, and only the ports required to be opened through the firewall from the internet are open. I hate the use of "DMZ" on home routers to mean that it puts the device on the internet with all ports open. That's not what a DMZ should be.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378

Even though it's not directly home theater-y, optimizing a router/internet for gaming is the first guide I'm posting on my new site. It just happens to be the content that's most near completion at the moment...I just need to tidy up Part 3 before it goes up. After that I'm planning on a full A/V setup guide for the PS4, hopefully by this weekend.

Since it sounds like there's some people who are genuinely knowledgable about networking, I'm open to any input on what I've got so far. Try and ignore the shoddy site layout, it's a serious work in progress.

http://www.hometheatergaming.com/2013/12/routerinternet-optimization-for-gaming.html

ThumperII likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #11 of 23 Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
i am only reporting 7 to 9 Mbps down on my 45 Mbps down connection. I get the 4 Mbps up that i am supposed to get -- this is the same for my PS3 as well -- although they are both on wired connections (Gig E Cat 6e cabling) the PC connected to the same switch reports full speed downloads though --

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #12 of 23 Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Even though it's not directly home theater-y, optimizing a router/internet for gaming is the first guide I'm posting on my new site. It just happens to be the content that's most near completion at the moment...I just need to tidy up Part 3 before it goes up. After that I'm planning on a full A/V setup guide for the PS4, hopefully by this weekend.

Since it sounds like there's some people who are genuinely knowledgable about networking, I'm open to any input on what I've got so far. Try and ignore the shoddy site layout, it's a serious work in progress.

http://www.hometheatergaming.com/2013/12/routerinternet-optimization-for-gaming.html

cool thanks
post #13 of 23 Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Thank you for posting this. I actually learned a couple things and I'm looking forward to part 3!

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #14 of 23 Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

Thank you for posting this. I actually learned a couple things and I'm looking forward to part 3!

Glad you found it helpful. smile.gif

Most of the really good stuff is yet to come. But I want to make sure no stone is left unturned, so this may end up being a few more parts.
ThumperII likes this.

post #15 of 23 Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Most of the really good stuff is yet to come. But I want to make sure no stone is left unturned, so this may end up being a few more parts.
I look forward to part 3 which sounds like doing the actual woodwork. Thanks for your time in doing this, bd.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

please send me a PM or post here when the other parts are ready.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So three parts have basically become 8, with at least one more to come. But it's shall we say....very comprehensive.

I edit and moved around a few parts, so I suggest starting again from part 1.

post #18 of 23 Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So three parts have basically become 8, with at least one more to come. But it's shall we say....very comprehensive.

cool thanks
post #19 of 23 Old 12-09-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

If I could give you a million thumbs-up I would! This should be required reading for everyone. Well done! smile.gif

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #20 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Bookmarked. Its been a decade since I've had to know networking in depth and a lot has changed. Probably already have mine good but better and best are words I like more than good.
post #21 of 23 Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
if you have a router behind your gateway/router, then you'll need to figure out how to setup your gateway in "bridged" mode. For my setup which has 2 PS3's and 1 xbox 360 on the LAN, setting up a DMZ was not possible since a DMZ is tied to a single IP address. getting bridged mode setup allows the router to route packets to the gaming platform as needed without the additional level of indirection.

Google your gateway's make and model and bridged to find out instructions. Most modern cable and DSL models have instructions out there that are pretty easy to find and follow.

Best,
jeff
post #22 of 23 Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My router just died, so I installed a new high speed nighthawk. I can connect wifi with my tablet and get 80-100 meg download speeds, but the ps4 with its auto connect settings only gets 8-20 download speeds.

Since game downloads are 50 GB, I'd like to maximize its connect speed. Any ideas where to start?

Edit: I checked with the ps4 browser, and depending on the location, I'm actually getting up to 34mb down. Obviously the built in test is not the best at evaluating the connection. I have a 100 meg connection, and I have a hard time believing these next gen consoles only have hardware that supports slow download speeds.
post #23 of 23 Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
you don't say how your ps4 is connected. if wifi, then you'll be limited your connection to the access point. hard wired is best. if you have to go wireless, then as close as possible to the access point is optimal. more distance/obstructions will mean worse performance.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page