Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 461
It's only 17gb, thought it would be more.

I thought it over and looked to see the exact dates of other games I want and it's not until the end of feb where I start buying games again so I figured this game will keep me busy till then. The game was fun the first time. Better graphics and a new bigger tv should make it just as good if not better this time around

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Does Red Box even carry next gen?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #183 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Or just spend the $60 and be done with it. It's really not that hard of a decision. If $20 makes or breaks you, you're in the wrong hobby.
emartins and Chairman7w like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #184 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Or just spend the $60 and be done with it. It's really not that hard of a decision. If $20 makes or breaks you, you're in the wrong hobby.

Especially for a Great Game. Show them some love and save the $20 on a less deserving game.

I'm starting to think of just not buying BF Premium at all cause of all EA's BS and just picking this up instead.
post #185 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Well, if you buy it at Target, it's full price. You would get 5 percent off if you use the Target card, but other than that, you're paying full price. I just think it's a good idea to buy there, because if the price drops in the first 3 months, you can get the difference refunded. It just makes more sense to buy games from Target.

I'm going to be paying full price for Infamous and Titanfall in March. I might as well buy them at Target, just in case either of them drops in the first 90 days.

I have to pinch my pennies here and there , to help pay for my higher end tastes in audio / video equipment and video game crap. I got a wife and 2 kids, a mortgage, things can add up pretty quick. I try not to waste money on my hobby, because there is so many other things that money can go to. Still, I enjoy the finer things in life when it comes to audio video type entertainment, but I try to be very careful about how I allocate my funds, to not be too irresponsible in regards to all the other financial concerns.
post #186 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

It's not about the money, it's about the principle and sending the wrong message to the industry, we should be letting them know that a facelift on a last gen game for full price is not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Well, if you buy it at Target, it's full price. You would get 5 percent off if you use the Target card, but other than that, you're paying full price. I just think it's a good idea to buy there, because if the price drops in the first 3 months, you can get the difference refunded. It just makes more sense to buy games from Target.

I'm going to be paying full price for Infamous and Titanfall in March. I might as well buy them at Target, just in case either of them drops in the first 90 days.

I have to pinch my pennies here and there , to help pay for my higher end tastes in audio / video equipment and video game crap. I got a wife and 2 kids, a mortgage, things can add up pretty quick. I try not to waste money on my hobby, because there is so many other things that money can go to. Still, I enjoy the finer things in life when it comes to audio video type entertainment, but I try to be very careful about how I allocate my funds, to not be too irresponsible in regards to all the other financial concerns.

Just make sure you pay with cash there. wink.gif

Jason
post #187 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 PM

http://kotaku.com/tomb-raider-on-ps4-is-more-definitive-than-on-xbox-o-1508613136
Quote:
For Once, The PC Version Comes In Third

Also interesting: both next-gen versions look better than last year's PC version in some respects. A couple of weeks ago, when we ran that IGN video detailing the new features in the Definitive Edition, a bunch of readers were quick to say "So, it's basically just the PC version on ultra settings, ported to consoles." Ah, but that's not the case.

Putting the two versions side by side, there are a number of differences. Most immediately noticeable is how much more alive the environments feel in the new version: Howling winds and low-hanging clouds blow through most areas, where in the PC version there was only open air and the occasional bit of fog. Trees in the Definitive Edition blow in the wind where on PC they stand still. In some places in the Definitive Edition, flocks of birds circle in the air, while on PC the air is empty.

The definitive edition also has much more high-contrast, dramatic lighting, and everything looks somehow heightened—every time I'd switch back to see a similar scene on PC things would look flat and less active.

Of course, these are all cosmetic differences. But I do notice them. I haven't done anything close to the sort of deep-dive analysis that I'm sure Digital Foundry or similar sites will do. How is the tessellation on PS4 versus PC? How does the Xbox One handle antialiasing compared to PS4? I can't tell you. But I can tell you that to my eye, the next-gen versions look much richer and more alive than the PC version.
Quote:
  • The game offers voice commands, which are activated through the Xbox One Kinect or PS4 Camera. I found the voice commands to be incredibly annoying in both versions, mostly because the game is far too sensitive. It kept pausing and unpausing as I spoke—the irony was my early exclamations about how good the game looked on PS4 caused it to freak out and pause. You can switch weapons or open the map with your voice, but who cares? After suffering through an hour of unintentional pausing and unpausing, I turned voice commands off for good.
  • The Xbox One version offers a humorously un-useful "alternate camera" trick that works with the Kinect. During some sequences, when a green camera icon pops up on screen, you can tilt your body to the side on the couch and view things from another angle. It's strange and awkward and pretty pointless, from what I've seen of it.
  • The PS4 version of the game also has some fun with the DualShock 4's light bar, making it flicker red and orange when Lara holds a torch and causing it to flash white every time she shoots a gun. It's… silly. It didn't really add immersion to the game or anything, and it probably caused my controller's battery to drain faster.
  • I should note that the PS4 version of the game has had a recurring technical issue for me, of the Error Code Ce-34878-0 variety. My save was never corrupted, but the game occasionally would crash or not load properly before giving me the error. It always has loaded fine after that, at least so far. Fingers crossed that keeps up. Since the error pops up on all manner of PS4 games, I get the sense that it's more Sony's issue than the fault of any specific game developer, but it still got me more than a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

It's not about the money, it's about the principle and sending the wrong message to the industry, we should be letting them know that a facelift on a last gen game for full price is not acceptable.

Jason

Depends on the game. From what I've been reading there's enough here to warrant it at $60 for a few weeks at least.

You can also bet the industry is looking at this release to see how it fairs. TLOU, GTA5, Bioshock: Infinite? Ultra version on next gen might be dependent on how this does.

Either way you'll be able to pick it up for $15 used by next year, so whats the big deal?
DaverJ likes this.
post #188 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

http://kotaku.com/tomb-raider-on-ps4-is-more-definitive-than-on-xbox-o-1508613136

Depends on the game. From what I've been reading there's enough here to warrant it at $60 for a few weeks at least.

You can also bet the industry is looking at this release to see how it fairs. TLOU, GTA5, Bioshock: Infinite? Ultra version on next gen might be dependent on how this does.

Either way you'll be able to pick it up for $15 used by next year, so whats the big deal?

There's enough to warrant $60 for those that have not played it, absolutely!

It's the exact same game with a facelift so people are really so desperate for content on these shiny new boxes that they'll re-buy at full price just for some eye-candy, that's just a damn shame in my opinion.

Let's hope that they do not spend their time re-making the same games we have already played and expecting full price due to some added eye-candy, that's not going to move the industry forward.

Trust me when I say that many of you will be bitching a year from now if that is what happens. You'll be thinking why did ND waste time to dress up TLOU when what we really want is U4 or TLOU 2. wink.gif

Jason
post #189 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Honestly, TLoU could release with zero facelift and just be on PS4 and it would still sell. You are right that a specific title will determine it's overall success. If a title was poorly coded and fixed then released again, that might warrant a purchase. But just a simple.."Oh, hey lets recase the game and call it Shiny Edition" might struggle, especially at $60.

If I hadnt already played this on PC, I would get it. Side note, Steam is selling the original version for $10...talk about a monkey wrench.
freemeat likes this.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #190 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Honestly, TLoU could release with zero facelift and just be on PS4 and it would still sell. You are right that a specific title will determine it's overall success. If a title was poorly coded and fixed then released again, that might warrant a purchase. But just a simple.."Oh, hey lets recase the game and call it Shiny Edition" might struggle, especially at $60.

If I hadnt already played this on PC, I would get it. Side note, Steam is selling the original version for $10...talk about a monkey wrench.

Yeah. I'm not suggesting they just port the the PC version and offer it at PC setting for 1080P60 either. That doesn't warrant $60.

This isn't that though. Nixxes, United Front, & CD spent a good amount of time adding stuff beyond the PC version to make it worth it, especially for those who haven't had the chance to play the game yet. It's not a quick and dirty port just running better; its actually got a lot of new stuff from lighting, to particle systems and simulation (where before it was canned animation) to a heck of a lot more assets and better texture work at higher resolutions. You might just call that a coat of paint, but it's a lot of work.
post #191 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Well that's good. At least it is an hard work improvement. I saw whoever buys it streams it and we all send them $5! Lol.

My concern is that publishers will turn this in to the "Multiplayer/DLC" is the rule not the exception and use it as a means to boost sales for poor selling titles, but not actually offer anything new.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #192 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Wow - just had time to start it up and play for about 30 missing, and I am blown away! Never played the original, so it wasn't even a decision for me. Everything about it just screams Next-gen. It's jaw-dropping in every respect. I love it. Really looking forward to playing more this weekend.

I for one will happily spend $60 for these kinds of updates, re-makes, rehashes, whatever you want to call them.
freemeat likes this.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #193 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried going back to PS3, even TLoU would need a major facelift in many areas. Mainly the environments and character models, the Textures held up fairly well. I would like to see trees and other foliage that move with the wind more realisticly, better water effects and those cutscene character models used in game.

I would also like to see them alter a few encounters to include human vs infected vs player battles that they had to cut due to the limits of the PS3. I just wonder where they would go...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #194 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Yeah. I'm not suggesting they just port the the PC version and offer it at PC setting for 1080P60 either. That doesn't warrant $60.

This isn't that though. Nixxes, United Front, & CD spent a good amount of time adding stuff beyond the PC version to make it worth it, especially for those who haven't had the chance to play the game yet. It's not a quick and dirty port just running better; its actually got a lot of new stuff from lighting, to particle systems and simulation (where before it was canned animation) to a heck of a lot more assets and better texture work at higher resolutions. You might just call that a coat of paint, but it's a lot of work.

And they have done a great job, it looks fantastic. I will re-buy once it's under $40 just to replay and add another great game to my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Wow - just had time to start it up and play for about 30 missing, and I am blown away! Never played the original, so it wasn't even a decision for me. Everything about it just screams Next-gen. It's jaw-dropping in every respect. I love it. Really looking forward to playing more this weekend.

I for one will happily spend $60 for these kinds of updates, re-makes, rehashes, whatever you want to call them.

I think you might feel different if you had already played it but since you have not you're going to have a hell of a ride with TR. Honestly I am jealous of those that get to experience it for the first time in the new edition. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I tried going back to PS3, even TLoU would need a major facelift in many areas. Mainly the environments and character models, the Textures held up fairly well. I would like to see trees and other foliage that move with the wind more realisticly, better water effects and those cutscene character models used in game.

I would also like to see them alter a few encounters to include human vs infected vs player battles that they had to cut due to the limits of the PS3. I just wonder where they would go...

Yeah I agree 100%, TLOU would get railed for looking the same on PS4. It's brilliant considering the hardware but does not hold up to what we have now.

Jason
post #195 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:

Good to hear that. The 60fps is whAt I'm looking forward, the silky smooth gameplay is being reported as a large improvement ..as one would expect going from 30 to 60 smile.gif
post #196 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:

Not sure if you noticed or not but on the pop up menu that asks what difficulty you want my wife was actually blown away when she thought the tv had water on the screen dripping down. It was the rain hitting the camera lens and the effect was pretty sweet. It really did look like the water was on my side of the tv. The visuals so far are pretty amazing

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #197 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Funny you mention that. After finishing up The Last of Us I went back and finished Uncharted 3 finally. Even the difference there was pretty striking. Uncharted 3 looked like someone put vaseline all over my TV (insert dirty joke here).

I booted up Bioshock Infinite recently and was thinking how I've already gotten used to current gen graphics as that game looks like crud. Crazy how some folks thought that we didn't need a new generation of consoles just yet.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #198 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 455
I don't get the vibe that SQEnix just painted over it and sold it new again as a cash grab. I partially think their eyeballing something else and used this recent game to test the waters. Far easier to see what can be done with an existing game. I believe this is their only next gen foray so far, at least a quick search only lists that. Plus the game didn't sell like they wanted initially, so getting a redo isn't all bad.

This was the last 360 game I rented before I sold all of it and I was wanting another playthrough then so full price is not a big deal to me now. I could see it sending the wrong message if it just came out a month before the PS4 launched but its been a year. Its a very good time to drop in the drought too. Not that I need another game at all but I definitely don't mind throwing money at a good dev.
post #199 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I'm not sure where some people's indignation comes from. I respect your right not to think it's worth $60 - no problem. So uh, don't buy it. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #200 of 348 Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not sure where some people's indignation comes from. I respect your right not to think it's worth $60 - no problem. So uh, don't buy it. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

That's likely in reference to me and you have taken it out of context if it was.

If you have played it before it's not worth $60, all the guys playing on PS4 right now and streaming are telling people the same thing.

If you have not played it previously then it's absolutely worth it, great game and one of the best of 2013.

Hope that clarifies once and for all (obviously just my personal opinion which I realize means very little on this side of the fence since I am branded as favoring the competition).

Jason
post #201 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's likely in reference to me and you have taken it out of context if it was.

If you have played it before it's not worth $60, all the guys playing on PS4 right now and streaming are telling people the same thing.

If you have not played it previously then it's absolutely worth it, great game and one of the best of 2013.

Hope that clarifies once and for all (obviously just my personal opinion which I realize means very little on this side of the fence since I am branded as favoring the competition).

Jason

Your opinion does matter thought...just very little! Kidding, its a joke tongue.gif seriously though, I would absolutely have bought this at full price a second time. First off, really cool game, it has good updates, and this dev made a solid product. After the fiasco that has been BF4 I'm a little more interested in giving money to good devs like Guerilla Games for KZ or SQEnix for this. Message is simple, my BF time stopped ticking rapidly up and other people get my money. Your not necessarily wrong for saying hold out for a better price though. I wish my willpower listened to things like that.
post #202 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason

Until the 60fps news hit, I felt the same way. I just feel the need to support this now, to show that these quick ports are worth doing and 60fps is worth targeting on PS4. $1 per frame after all.

The lack of BC means there are a dozen games I would love to see ported. It gives dev teams a chance to learn the new hardware and gives them ideas on what they can do in other games. I say bring on the flood of ports from Last Gen.

The Last of Us
Dragon's Dogma
Uncharted Trilogy
Ratchet 1080p collection
Final Fantasy XIII 1080p collection
Tales of 1080p
Valkyria Chronicles Collection
Ni No Kuni
Skyrim
Gears of War collection
Halo Collection
KOTOR collection
Mass Effect

Nintendo has the entire Gamecube and Wii era to tap into and exploit and many PS2 titles are still missing or need their last gen collection updated. It is a quick and easy cash grab that can fill the gaps in the release schedules so there is always something just around the corner.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #203 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:

If you have played it before it's not worth $60, all the guys playing on PS4 right now and streaming are telling people the same thing

The amusing thing to me is if you ask them if they played it on last gen, most of them will admit it too. They ran out and bought it regardless!

Like this post I read elsewhere:
Quote:
It's almost a shame that some of these late gen games will not be able to get to breathe like Tomb Raider has. Seeing this version makes me feel like 'next gen' should have happened a long time ago.

I guess at least some games will get PC ports that will do them justice (like the rumored GTAV port).

It's funny because I was cursing this whole thing, about them selling Tomb Raider 'DE' at $60 but I decided to get it, and I'm eating my words. It's just a shame we couldn't have gotten here sooner.

Think part of that is the drought. But part of it is the tangible work that's gone into it.
post #204 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I don't think we are going to see a rezzed up version of TLOU anytime soon, reason being, it would kill a bunch of enthusiasm for Playstation Now. Think about it. TLOU is the killer app for Playstation Now, for people that never played the game on PS3. Playstation Now is supposedly coming in the Summer, so it's possible if they do have a rezzed up TLOU, they could hold it back till like September or something, so that Playstation Now can advertise TLOU as a big Playstation Now exclusive for a few months.
post #205 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got my copy, they only had two left and I got the last art book one. I have it installing and I will start playing later today.

Playstation Now will take a while to take off, so a TLoU port would be aimed at those who switched from 360, and fans who want a replay.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #206 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Playstion Now just sounds so unappealing. Take your favorite old games and compress the graphics and add latency to the gameplay.
post #207 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
post #208 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Jumping in the shower and picking this up. Figure I'll go ahead on the disc version so I can trade it and save my PS wallet money for other stuff.
post #209 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
question as i'm new to ps4. I understand that the physical copy of the game is available early (today). do the publishers also always release the game to PSN for digital download on the day of release? in other words, can i wait for the digital version which will for sure come on tuesday, or is it possible there won't be a digital version at that time (in which case i'd just get the disc)?

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #210 of 348 Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Sony been really good about getting games on PSN day and date as their retail release as of late.

Squeenix lifted the street date a bit earlier on this one, so I digital they stick to the original street date.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition Playstation 4 Standard Edition , Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition Art Book Packaging Playstation 4 Art Book Packaging Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page