PS4 Video Dropouts / Glitching / Screen Flickering - Please Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My equipment: PS4 -> Denon X4000 Receiver -> Panasonic 65" (TC-65PS64)

My previous setup: PS4 -> Denon 3310 Receiver -> Panasonic 65" (TC-65PS64)

Problem: Occasionally, maybe once every 20-30 minutes, I get a video dropout / glitch / flicker (audio not affected) that lasts less than 1 second - The screen will either go black or glitch / flicker with various colors (kind of looks like bad screen tearing). I've noticed while just idling in in the home screen, while playing Resogun, and while playing BF4.

What I've tried:

1) New HDMI Cables from PS4 to Receiver and from Receiver to TV
2) Two different Receivers...
2) Swapped out my PS4 (I thought it was defective, but the new one does it too, ugh)

I have DirecTV as well, running through my Receiver, and I have watched hundreds of hours with the same setup(s) without a single video issue, so I don't think the Receiver or TV are at fault... but I've tried two PS4's, sooo... I don't know what else to troubleshoot! Are there any video settings to change in my PS4 that may help?

Does anyone have suggestions? Is anyone else experiencing random video dropouts / glitching / flickering? Am I the only one?

confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
I used to have a similar and persistent issue with a xbox 360 hdmi output. In that case it was the HDMI socket on the 360. Once the unit was warmed up I could get the video signal to drop by wiggling the cable in the hdmi socket. There were certain positions that would not connect properly. Not sure if this was the result of a poor circuit board trace solder on the hdmi connector.

Have you tried connecting the PS4 directly and eliminating the receiver? Just to see if the issue persists.

I have had the video drop out a few times on my new PS4. My routing is PS4 -> Yamaha 2020 -> Sony VW90. It has only happened twice on about 15 hours of play time, so not enough to really be a problem yet.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #3 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Have you tried connecting the PS4 directly and eliminating the receiver? Just to see if the issue persists.
I would try this ^.

Or try a different HDMI input for your PS4 into the Receiver.

PSN - Brohdah
post #4 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
check for the HDMI connector issue on the PS4 (a tab that's popped up).

try turning HDMI CEC off -- if it's on.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Have you also tried unplugging all other HDMI input sources? Maybe too much cross talk? Is the PS4 set to default output settings, same is receivers? May not hurt to set everything back to factory default after trying to connect directly to the TV.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #6 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This has been happening to me as well....both on my first overheating prone PS4 and the one I have now. I have the Panny S60. I haven't tried plugging it directly into the TV yet, but I suspect it may be the TV's problem.

I have the Onkyo 809. I've turned off DeepColor and any other setting in the TV, AVR, or PS4 that might be causing it.

The only thing I can think of is that the HDMI port on the back of my TV is extremely close to the wall. So much so that the cable pushes against the wall. Perhaps there's too much pressure. I may see if I can get an angled cable adapter or something that would take some pressure off the connection.

It is the most annoying thing in the world, especially when it flickers to a completely black screen. Being immersed in a game so completely only to have everything go black is very disorienting.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #7 of 21 Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Happening to me as well. About 3 times now. Video will just black screen for 3-7 secs, then pop back on. Happens in multiples too... 2-3 times within a minute then no problem.

Denon receiver & projector.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #8 of 21 Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just purchased 2 brand new HDMI cables. I'll give them a try, and if it persists, then I'll try bypassing the Denon Receiver and go straight to the TV. If it still persists, then I'll try the other HDMI port in my TV...
post #9 of 21 Old 12-24-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, it looks like my problem is solved folks.

Purchased: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SCU8U/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ran one from the PS4 to the Denon, and one from the Denon to the TV, and I've played probably 8 hours without a single video glitch.

I'm honestly quite surprised this was the fix though. I tried several other "nice" HDMI cables (more expensive than these Amazon Basics) already with no success. Oh well, whatever, cheap fix in hindsight!! cool.gif
post #10 of 21 Old 12-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Liked: 14
I never had video glitches until HDMI.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-25-2013, 12:06 AM

Liked: 10
Happening to me as well with the PS4 connected to a Bose Lifestyle system.

If I connect directly to the TV, it doesnt appear to be happening. A google search shows a lot seem to be experiencing a similar problem.

Hopefully a firmware update is on the way soon. Anybody have.a good contact number for Sony?
post #12 of 21 Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 AM

Here is a video. Is this what you guys are experiencing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-sDih0Ze0

HDMI handshake issue?
post #13 of 21 Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^ mine wasn't nearly as bad as that. mine were usually one second tops. sometimes a few seconds. and it'd only happen maybe once every half hour, so it was hard to troubleshoot. but new hdmi cables fixed it for me.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdidilyinks View Post

Here is a video. Is this what you guys are experiencing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-sDih0Ze0

HDMI handshake issue?

I have not experienced that with my PS4, but damn do I hate the whole HDMI handshake thing. When I fire up my equipment, I specifically start my FIOS box first, then TV, then receiver, and when all it on and working I will switch my AVR to the GAME input and fire up whatever console I am turning on. If I do not do it this way it is hit or miss as to whether all components will communicate properly.

I blame most of this on HDMI having no real set standard so every different manufacturer does it differently opening us consumers up to this mess that is the HDMI handshake.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

^ mine wasn't nearly as bad as that. mine were usually one second tops. sometimes a few seconds. and it'd only happen maybe once every half hour, so it was hard to troubleshoot. but new hdmi cables fixed it for me.

I hope your problem is fixed.

It has happened to me only 3 times in close to 200hrs of playtime. So very intermittent. If I had swapped cables after the last time it happened, then I would've thought the same as you, that new cables fixed the problem since it hasn't happened since.

The problem has happened with 2 setups, one in my office, and one in my living room. Both setups run Denon receivers, one with a projector and one with an LCD. So I'm thinking a PS4 hardware glitch, or possibly a handshake issue with the receivers. I'm not convinced it's a handshake issue, because handshake issues tend to happen with more frequency.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #16 of 21 Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just throwing a final post here - problem is 100% resolved with new cables. If you have flicker, get some new cables. I don't necessarily think I had bad cables (I'm using them on a different setup now with zero issues), but they didn't seem to play nice with my PS4.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Not using new cables but this has not happened to me for several days. Weird, but maybe it fixed itself somehow.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-06-2014, 01:55 PM

not true i got brand new cable and i have the same problem

post #19 of 21 Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Just throwing a final post here - problem is 100% resolved with new cables. If you have flicker, get some new cables. I don't necessarily think I had bad cables (I'm using them on a different setup now with zero issues), but they didn't seem to play nice with my PS4.

That is kind of a blanket statement and may not work for everyone, but would be a good place to start for most. With the prices of HDMI cables on Monoprice I don;t see the harm in people getting some newer high speed HDMI cables for these new consoles.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3951&seq=1&format=2
post #20 of 21 Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Quote:

That is kind of a blanket statement and may not work for everyone, but would be a good place to start for most. With the prices of HDMI cables on Monoprice I don;t see the harm in people getting some newer high speed HDMI cables for these new consoles.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3951&seq=1&format=2

After trying just about everything, I broke down and bought one more set of cables- http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2.

Ran one from the PS4 to my Onkyo 809 and the other from the Onkyo to the TV. This has finally fixed my problem. May not work for everyone, but it's worked for me.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #21 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Im also having this problem. I thought my brand new twisted veins hdmi was the problem so im using my old playstation certified hdmi now and its happened twice. I also have a new sammy plasma which i thought was the problem. Hmmmm. Mine only goes to black screen for a split second them back showing 1080p/60p up top like i changed source. Idk. Guess ill just wait and see. I have a couple weeks to exchange at gamestop.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page