Best PS4 Games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
niez57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my PS4 after a long hunt. Rank your favorite games. I need to buy a couple and want to know from experience which ones are the best.
niez57 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have not played them all, but so far AC4, KZ:SF and BF4 are what I am playing. AC4 and KZ:SF do a good job of showing of the graphical power of the PS4 and BF4 shows you how much we were missing playing BF on the last gen consoles. Now BF has been a little shaky from the beginning, but there was a patch yesterday and playing last night was a lot more enjoyable than it has been in the last month or so.

Sadly I cannot really comment in more depth on AC4 or KZ:SF since BF4 has taken up most of my time, but the hour or so that I played of both gave me the feeling that once I finally play them I will be amazed. I know there are other on here that have played more games so hopefully other will chime in on their impressions for you.
Smigro is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Member
 
mypwisthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Following is my ranking:

1. Killzone - I am not a FPS fan but I really liked this game. Great level diversity. The level called "The Doctor" has echoes of dead space. In addition, the game is gorgeous. There is plenty to come back for if you are into collectible hunting. I have not tried multiplayer yet.
2. AC IV - I expected this to be my number one game. Unfortunately, I am not into the whole pirate thing. Story wise it was my least favorite of the series but AC has never looked so good. The game was hampered by some frustrating missions.....(eavesdropping anybody, storms while attacking a fort). There is lots to do in this game once you finish the main story.
3. Call of Duty Ghosts - I liked Killzone so much....I decided to check COD out. I am about 50% through and have liked it. The only previous COD I have played was Modern Warfare 2. It is much more frenetic than Killzone. Can't comment on the multiplayer since I haven't played it yet. I have been impressed with the graphics.
4. Lego Marvel Superheroes - If you have kids, get this game. My 6 & 8 year old have had a great time playing coop with me. There is a noticeable upgrade graphics-wise compared to Lego PS3 games which was a pleasant surprise.
5. Madden - I have played this the least so far. Control wise, very similar to prior Maddens. The graphics are better than the PS3, but not a huge jump like I have noticed with the above titles. Go Pack!
mypwisthis is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Member
 
Hwaiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've only played 3 thus far (sold 2 of them already) but here is my order:
1. Assassin's Creed 4 - Gameplay keeps getting better with each release and it has hours and hours of gameplay.
2. Killzone - Beautiful graphics...the cutscenes reminded me of CG anime like Appleseed. I only play single campaign and wish it was a little longer.
3. CoD Ghosts - I only play Single Campaign...it's not what it use to be...it's getting repetitive now for me and I think this might be the last CoD I buy. Also way too short...I think I finished it across 2 evenings.
Hwaiting is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Here is my take on every PS4 game that I've played so far (which isn't that many)


1. NBA 2K14 - This is my killer app. Period. This game justifies getting a next-gen system imo. (there are some possible microtransaction concerns in this game, but I haven't bumped into them yet)

2. Resogun - Easily the best PS4 exclusive at the moment.

3. Madden 25 - Eh, I'm not sure I would recommend this to anybody but hardcore football fans. It's decent, but overall, pretty underwhelming. I only got it because I haven't played a Madden in years.

4. Fifa 14 - I've only played the demo, but it seems to play well, but doesn't look very next-gen at all (imo). You need to play this on a super HUGE tv to really notice anything next-gen about it.

5. Trine 2 - Only tried the demo but liked what I played. I think this game should be 10 bucks though. You can get this game for like 3 bucks on the PC. I tried the 3D mode, and it was pretty cool. If this was $10, I'd probably buy it.

6. Killzone :SF - Yeah, this is a big disappointment for me. The checkpointing in the game is absolutely horrible, and it's very hard to know where the heck you're supposed to go, and what exactly you're supposed to do. The alarm thing is really dumb imo. Just makes the game very irritating. Also, this game does seem a bit rough around the edges in certain ways. When your guy dies, it seems like it's a game from 1999 or something. Like the way the camera tweaks out when your guy dies. Graphics can be very nice in certain areas, but it's hard to really enjoy it with the clunky gameplay.

7. Contrast - Only played this game one time, and I don't think I'm ever going to play it again. Seemed really rough and unpolished. Seems almost unfinished to me.

8. Marvel Lego - Only played the demo, but wasn't impressed at all.



PS4 Games I'd most like to try that I've never played:

1. Knack - might as well try the other 1st party game at some point. Waiting to see it for like $29.99 or something.

2. Assassin's Creed 4 - Heard that the PS4 version is very Purdy. Would like to check it out, just to see how it looks.

3. Need for Speed Rivals - I've heard some nice things about this game. I'm currently playing Forza 5, so don't need a racing game right away, but wouldn't mind trying it out.

4. Flower - I might buy this game. I played it a bit on PS3 and it was pretty cool. Heard the PS4 version looks great. I think it's a really short game though. so maybe wait for it to be even cheaper for PS+ members or something. I know it's the cheapest game on PS4 already, but I'm talking like a $3.99 special, lol.

5. Battlefield 4 - If they ever get this game fixed where it's in a decent, playable state, I'd like to try it.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NoThru22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Assassin's Creed IV is at the top of the list. Best game in the series bar none. I am also enjoying Battlefield 4. I found Need for Speed to be incredibly overrated, but I haven't given up on it. I own but have not started Killzone.

Some of the cross platform games like Sound Shapes are great. Really looking forward to Zen Pinball next week.
NoThru22 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
frankthetoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post


7. Contrast - Only played this game one time, and I don't think I'm ever going to play it again. Seemed really rough and unpolished. Seems almost unfinished to me.

I've only played a few sessions of Contrast, but it definitely does not feel unfinished to me. To what exactly are you referring?

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
frankthetoad is online now  
post #8 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
kblee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

1. NBA 2K14 - This is my killer app. Period. This game justifies getting a next-gen system imo. (there are some possible microtransaction concerns in this game, but I haven't bumped into them yet).

I totally agree. I bought NBA 2K14, COD: Ghosts and Madden at launch. I have probably played 75% NBA 2K14, 20% COD and 5% Madden at this point. NBA 2K14 is THAT GOOD.

XBL = jackalopes

PSN = ChitownJackalope

kblee is online now  
post #9 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William Mapstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony1

Killzone :SF - Yeah, this is a big disappointment for me. The checkpointing in the game is absolutely horrible, and it's very hard to know where the heck you're supposed to go, and what exactly you're supposed to do. The alarm thing is really dumb imo. Just makes the game very irritating. Also, this game does seem a bit rough around the edges in certain ways. When your guy dies, it seems like it's a game from 1999 or something. Like the way the camera tweaks out when your guy dies. Graphics can be very nice in certain areas, but it's hard to really enjoy it with the clunky gameplay.
If you press up on the d-pad (i think) the game show you the objective. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out where to go. But yes GG made the game more open than a typical linear shooter.

Not to sure what you mean by "clunky gameplay"?

PSN: UndeadREDD


My Racing Seat

William Mapstone is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I love the gameplay in KZ:SF and haven't had any issues finding where to go (press up d-pad). The save system isn't the best, but it just basically makes me feel like I have to comlete a chapter in one sitting. For me it is the level designs, some are awesome (Forest level and chapter 4)and some are a drag (a lot of chapter 5 and 6 with a few good spots). I'm not done yet so I can't fully judge it.
freemeat is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I've only played a few sessions of Contrast, but it definitely does not feel unfinished to me. To what exactly are you referring?

I can't speak for Anthony, but I get what he is saying. The production values are very low. Bad voice acting, bad character animation, wonky controls and quite a few framerate dips. I've played it for about 2 hours and can honestly say I would never have shelled out money for it. The completionist in me wants to see it through to the end, but I simply don't care to see what happens with the story.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Big Brad is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I love the gameplay in KZ:SF and haven't had any issues finding where to go (press up d-pad). The save system isn't the best, but it just basically makes me feel like I have to comlete a chapter in one sitting. For me it is the level designs, some are awesome (Forest level and chapter 4)and some are a drag (a lot of chapter 5 and 6 with a few good spots). I'm not done yet so I can't fully judge it.


I must just really suck at the game, because it seems like I'm always getting lost trying to find the next thing. Or maybe I'm visiting areas in the wrong order or something. The checkpoints can be really harsh though, I know that for a fact. You can die, and then end up way, way, way back from where you just were. When you're stuck in a certain area, it can create this painful loop of trying to get past where you're stuck, but then when you die you go all they way back to a checkpoint that was like 30 or 40 minutes before that. When it happens over and over it's incredibly frustrating. It's the primary reason I seem to just avoid playing the game. I guess I need to read a FAQ Walkthrough for the area in which I appear to be stuck.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I must just really suck at the game, because it seems like I'm always getting lost trying to find the next thing. Or maybe I'm visiting areas in the wrong order or something. The checkpoints can be really harsh though, I know that for a fact. You can die, and then end up way, way, way back from where you just were. When you're stuck in a certain area, it can create this painful loop of trying to get past where you're stuck, but then when you die you go all they way back to a checkpoint that was like 30 or 40 minutes before that. When it happens over and over it's incredibly frustrating. It's the primary reason I seem to just avoid playing the game. I guess I need to read a FAQ Walkthrough for the area in which I appear to be stuck.


I never had an issue up until chapter 7 where I'm at any issues with the checkpoint while actually playing. Quitting the game completely however and coming back, then yes it would set me back a large distance which is why I feel like I have to complete a chapter in a sitting as I'm paranoid it will set me back to the beginning like it has before on chapter 5.
freemeat is online now  
post #14 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Member
 
mypwisthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I must just really suck at the game, because it seems like I'm always getting lost trying to find the next thing. Or maybe I'm visiting areas in the wrong order or something. The checkpoints can be really harsh though, I know that for a fact. You can die, and then end up way, way, way back from where you just were. When you're stuck in a certain area, it can create this painful loop of trying to get past where you're stuck, but then when you die you go all they way back to a checkpoint that was like 30 or 40 minutes before that. When it happens over and over it's incredibly frustrating. It's the primary reason I seem to just avoid playing the game. I guess I need to read a FAQ Walkthrough for the area in which I appear to be stuck.

Frustration certainly can make a game a lot less fun to play. If not already, switch to easy mode and enjoy the game. Even on easy, some parts can be quite challenging. The worst level for not knowing what to do was the forest level. Either I started to push up on the d-pad at that point or I just got the hang of the game. I kind of liked the open worldness of the game. It gave me an excuse to explore and really appreciate the game graphics.
mypwisthis is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
redshift1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypwisthis View Post



Frustration certainly can make a game a lot less fun to play. If not already, switch to easy mode and enjoy the game. Even on easy, some parts can be quite challenging. The worst level for not knowing what to do was the forest level. Either I started to push up on the d-pad at that point or I just got the hang of the game. I kind of liked the open worldness of the game. It gave me an excuse to explore and really appreciate the game graphics.


Used the forest level as my tutorial and spent at least a week there fumbling around with varing tactics. A solid game but challenging on hard not for the impatient.
redshift1 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1 View Post

Used the forest level as my tutorial and spent at least a week there fumbling around with varing tactics. A solid game but challenging on hard not for the impatient.

I don't even want to imagine "Last Stand" on hard, it was horrible on normal difficulty and it wasn't fun either.
freemeat is online now  
post #17 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wilkes-barre, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I don't even want to imagine "Last Stand" on hard, it was horrible on normal difficulty and it wasn't fun either.

I contemplated not finishing the game when i got stuck on "Last Stand" for hours. Definitely one of the hardest sequences in a video game in recent memory. But just like any über hard challenge in games, it was that much more satisfying once I got through it.

PSN: futurecode
futurecode is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

I contemplated not finishing the game when i got stuck on "Last Stand" for hours. Definitely one of the hardest sequences in a video game in recent memory and that much more satisfying once I got through it.

Yeah, my resolve to finish this game is weakening. I figured only 2-3 more chapters and then I can sell it. If more levels were like the forest and chapter 4 I'd love the game.
freemeat is online now  
post #19 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 595
So will the Kill Zone free multi-player coming out next week give me good idea of what I would get with this game? If I like it on Multi-player then I might get the digital download.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off