So the PS4 isn't hitting 60fps yet? - AVS Forum
PlayStation Area > So the PS4 isn't hitting 60fps yet?
DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 05:16 PM 12-30-2013
All this time I wondered if I was really playing 60fps on PS4. Then I spotted this post in the Wii U thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

May as well just stick with the PS3 and 360 then if you think they are comparable. (The game runs better on them anyway)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

eek.gif

After reading that article, I learned the PS4 version of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is locked at 30fps! A quick Google check confirms this with other sources too. I've played the heck out AC4 on PS4 - I chose it over the PC version because it was released first, but I never noticed it was locked at 30fps! As a "PC console gamer" (see sig), I'm a stickler for wanting 60fps.

I've also noticed the framerate in Knack fluctuating, which was distracting, and found this YouTube video:

And the same thing for Killzone: Shadow Fall:

So now I'm disappointed that the PS4 isn't hitting 60fps, at least for most of these launch titles I've been playing. But I'm also ashamed I only suspected these games weren't running at 60, but wasn't certain.

In the Need For Speed: Rivals review thread I said even though I want to buy the game, I'm hesitant because it's locked at 30 and I didn't want to support a 30fps game in this day and age, and commented that the reviewer should have knocked the review score down a peg because of this. He responded he would have if he felt the higher frame-rate would have made a difference, but the game runs great at 30fps.

Maybe he was right, and maybe I've over-thought the importance 60fps compared to rock-solid 30fps at 1080p? confused.gif

I almost wish I didn't know this, because 1) I'm doubting my ability to accurately identify 30 vs. 60fps, and B) questioning buying any multiplatform games on PS4 that will appear on the PC. Yet, before this revelation, I'm not positive I would have even known the difference. redface.gif

Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 05:41 PM 12-30-2013
I wish more games hit 60fps, but 30fps isn't unplayable.
DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 05:59 PM 12-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I wish more games hit 60fps, but 30fps isn't unplayable.

Agree - that's why I went so long not noticing the lower framerate. redface.gif Rock-solid locked 30fps on PS4 has been better than expected - very playable.

But at the same time, I built a gaming PC last year and playing all the 30fps console games now at 60fps via the PC was a very noticeable improvement. It's what I expected on the PS4.

So 30-locked good, 60-locked better, but how much better? Undecided.
freemeat's Avatar freemeat 06:12 PM 12-30-2013
KZ sf feels really smooth to me coming from last gen. NSF rivals is disappointing to me in its sense of speed and graphics.

I don't expect 60fps for every game but appreciate it when it is there.
joeblow's Avatar joeblow 07:14 PM 12-30-2013
1st gen games trying to make the launch deadline made mostly on incomplete dev kits of a console with specs not locked down to earlier this year - what do you expect (especially from 3rd party devs)?

With that said, I continue to point out that a 60 fps standard is a pipe dream on consoles. It will not happen because there will always be some whiz-bang new special effects that most developers will want to add in place of a pristine frame rate. I wish that were not the case, but it is. To expect otherwise is setting yourself up to be disappointed for the next 5-7 years.

If you want 60 frames locked down for the top tier visual games, a good PC (or decent one with lower resolution) is for you. If you can be realistic about the performance tradeoffs made at times on consoles, then the PS4 is already putting out some fine looking games that are fun to play.
TyrantII's Avatar TyrantII 09:55 PM 12-30-2013
30FPS locked or 30+ unlocked isn't anything to snuff at. Quite often PC players claiming the 60FPS threshold are hover in the high 40's and low 50's when in the thick of gameplay. They make a similar graphics / frame-rate trade off decision. For consoles the problem is when you hit non-locked 30. Or when Dev's like Rockstar decide 10-18FPS is acceptable during moments with a lot going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

KZ sf feels really smooth to me coming from last gen. NSF rivals is disappointing to me in its sense of speed and graphics.

I don't expect 60fps for every game but appreciate it when it is there.

Don't forget that Killzone MP is 60 unlocked, while SP is 30 locked with some more bells and whistles.
Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 11:15 PM 12-30-2013
Either way it's a trade off. I was big into PC gaming a few years ago, and while the increase in graphical fidelity and better framerate was great, as a tweaker and tech head I found myself focusing more on that stuff than you know, game play. I was always tweaking settings and DLL files to try and maximize the potential of a game, and in that I lost sight of why I enjoy playing games so much (the story and lore of a given game).

Not having to worry about tweaking that kind of stuff and getting right into the game is the biggest reason I stick to consoles for my gaming experience.
blastermaster's Avatar blastermaster 01:10 AM 12-31-2013
Quote:
Either way it's a trade off. I was big into PC gaming a few years ago, and while the increase in graphical fidelity and better framerate was great, as a tweaker and tech head I found myself focusing more on that stuff than you know, game play. I was always tweaking settings and DLL files to try and maximize the potential of a game, and in that I lost sight of why I enjoy playing games so much (the story and lore of a given game).

Not having to worry about tweaking that kind of stuff and getting right into the game is the biggest reason I stick to consoles for my gaming experience.

Good post. I used to hate that I would have to decrease the graphical settings on a game for my PC when it was getting old just so I could get a decent frame rate. Consoles just seemed to work. With the last generation and I'm assuming the next generation as well, though, updates and bug fixes are common just like the PC (when it was a cartridge, that wasn't an option). My favourite game of last generation, Dark Souls, had massive slowdown issues in certain areas. I'm playing it now on my PC at 60fps at 1080p and it's a game changer - it is sooo much better (Blighttown, you can kiss my @ss).

I love consoles, but they are really becoming so much more like PCs in terms of updates, apps, etc. For me, I like having the control. If a game runs like crap, I turn down the settings. If it is unacceptable to me, I get a new graphics card, more RAM, etc. You get what you get with a console, and that's it. I do like that developers have to work within the abilities of the console and squeak out every last bit of power to get it looking great, but I like being at the forefront of technology. And, yes, it costs money to do that, but not as much as many think.

I think ultimately what swayed me toward PC gaming was the proprietary accessories consoles were trying to push (Microsoft in particular). I was stoked to hear that the Logitech G27 wheel is compatible with the PS4, but I have heard some complaints about it not working for some.

I will probably get a PS4 when Naughty Dog comes out with their killer app or when Polyphony Digital decides they want to finally make a decent Gran Turismo game again (Gran Turismo 2 was the pinnacle, IMHO).

Wow, I'm babbling. Time to ease off the Christmas cheer and go to bed. Happy New Year's Eve!
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 04:50 AM 12-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Agree - that's why I went so long not noticing the lower framerate. redface.gif Rock-solid locked 30fps on PS4 has been better than expected - very playable.

But at the same time, I built a gaming PC last year and playing all the 30fps console games now at 60fps via the PC was a very noticeable improvement. It's what I expected on the PS4.

So 30-locked good, 60-locked better, but how much better? Undecided.

They're adding in much better motion blur nowadays, which smooths out a lot of the judder associated with 30fps, so the low frame rate might not have jumped out at you.

I'd still have noticed though. :)

Up
Mobile  Desktop