so after 7 years, I finally got the dreaded YLOD (ps3) - what to do now - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was going to wait another year at least for PS4 to build up a better inventory of games and/or release new or cheaper models and bundles.

I still have so much gaming (backlog) left to do on the PS3 that I think I need another! I guess I am still in the dark ages?

Some quick searching looks like my PS3 is hosed outside of temporary fixes (hair dryer? lol), as even if I got it operational, it will probably be very short-lived?

I understand why ($$) but this lack of backwards compatibility is killing me biggrin.gif

RIP my launch phat PS3.
djb5f is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hksvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Your launch PS3, like the one I had, is useless now. Only good for parts. I did the hair dryer thing, even melted the plastics and it didn't fix it. Only real way to fix it is to take apart the entire PS3 and re-solder the chips on the mother board.
Hksvr4 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pei, canada
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hksvr4 posted while I was replying. I did the complete teardown and reflowing of the motherboard.

I had the same thing happen a few days ago with my Phat 60GB. I bought it at X-mas in 2006.

My wife got me the PS4 for X-mas, and I moved it into the Theater Room and put the PS3 in the main living room. I also got PS Plus for the first time so I download LBP Kart racing for my daughter. The Very next day I had the YLOD. Go figure.

Like you, I also have a bit of a backlog of games to get through and may have to get another PS3, but I figured I might as well try fixing it. Can't make it any worse.

I found a few videos on Youtube from Gilsky and djwetzel, rented a heat gun and had it done in a couple of hours. I have had the PS3 running for the last 2 days for about 4 hours per day and everything is working great. It is also running much cooler. The original thermal paste was basically non existent.

Overall it is fairly easy to do. Tough to know how long it will last, but it is working for now.

Good luch.

Jason
jherring69 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wilkes-barre, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

I was going to wait another year at least for PS4 to build up a better inventory of games and/or release new or cheaper models and bundles.

I still have so much gaming (backlog) left to do on the PS3 that I think I need another! I guess I am still in the dark ages?

Some quick searching looks like my PS3 is hosed outside of temporary fixes (hair dryer? lol), as even if I got it operational, it will probably be very short-lived?

I understand why ($$) but this lack of backwards compatibility is killing me biggrin.gif

RIP my launch phat PS3.

I re-flowed with a heat gun (via gilksy's tutorial) and re-thermal pasted couple PS3's in the past few years, it's quite simple and can serve as a temporary fix, but done as a measure to get meaningful saves and data off your PS3.

The issues lies with lead free solder that becomes brittle, and will again eventually, even if the at home re-flow works.

A more "permanent" fix is to have your PS3 Re-balled, which is a process of removing the old solder and replacing with a higher grade, lead based solder, that should, in theory, not just breathe new life into your PS3 phat, but make it sturdier from a solder standpoint for years to come.

There are various people that provide that service over the internet/ebay, but I haven't experienced it personally so I have no one to recommend ...... but I do remember coming across some posts on here about someone who had their PS3 phat re-balled recently.

PSN: futurecode
futurecode is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
defdog99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Buy a new PS3 for $199 and enjoy another 7 years with it.
defdog99 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Buy a new PS3 for $199 and enjoy another 7 years with it.

This is what I am leaning towards. I might get the $249 one with the Last of Us since I've been meaning to get that game. It also comes with a bigger HD out of the box so I won't have to upgrade that although technically I can pull out the HD I upgraded in the original phat one and use that if I bought the barebones model. Even so, between the game and having an extra PS3 size HD, I think the bundle is for me.

I don't think I should be messing with the soldering, etc, I bet I'd mess that up no matter how good the tutorial! smile.gif
djb5f is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
The reflow (heatgun fix) is just time consuming and something you can do yourself if you don't mind tearing down electronics (ever build a PC?). It's only a temp fix, but some people have got a year+ out of it. At worst it'll give you a few days to back up any saves to PSPlus and/or a USB stick.

Reballing the solder is something you can't without specific tools to reset the chip, so you'd have to have someone else do it most likely.

Either method doesn't fix the tin solder joints on the rest of the motherboard or cell CPU. Only the RSX GFX chip.


I'd go with the reflow fix if you need to backup saves and then picking up a cheap slim if you're looking to get back in on last gen. Maybe even check craiglist, as plenty of people are dumping old units for next gen.
TyrantII is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

The reflow (heatgun fix) is just time consuming and something you can do yourself if you don't mind tearing down electronics (ever build a PC?). It's only a temp fix, but some people have got a year+ out of it. At worst it'll give you a few days to back up any saves to PSPlus and/or a USB stick.

Reballing the solder is something you can't without specific tools to reset the chip, so you'd have to have someone else do it most likely.

Either method doesn't fix the tin solder joints on the rest of the motherboard or cell CPU. Only the RSX GFX chip.


I'd go with the reflow fix if you need to backup saves and then picking up a cheap slim if you're looking to get back in on last gen. Maybe even check craiglist, as plenty of people are dumping old units for next gen.

Thanks all for all the info.

Luckily, I think I have nearly all of my saves backed up - over time to my USB and to a PC, I did this as recently as a couple of months ago. I am actually on PS Plus for the time being so my most recent saves better be there on the cloud! Of course, those are the saves I care about most as those are the games I am still actively playing.

Yeah, I'll look up the heatgun, saw a video of someone doing it with a hairdryer, but yeah, it looks very temporary at best. I still want a good few years out of this, maybe more if my
kids take a liking to it, they are 6 and I haven't really exposed them to it yet, just very briefly.

Wow, it is going to take forever if I wanted to re-download all the DLC I had between games, add-on content, demos, videos, etc. I figure I will just cherry-pick what I would play/use most from the Transaction History.
djb5f is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
jayoldschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do the proper Gilsky fix. Then, buy a new PS3 and IMMEDIATELY do the data transfer/mirror copy to your new one. My 60GB lasted just long enough to do this. I then tried to watch a BD after moving it to my theater, and it made it about ten minutes in before YLODing again. The transfer worked perfectly, however. My new PS3 was a complete copy of my old one. Just follow the youtube how to vids. Of course, if you don't care about anything on your old one, save the time, and just fire up the new one. Call Sony, stay on hold for half an hour, and have them deactivate the dead one. Worst hold music EVER...
jayoldschool is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Do the proper Gilsky fix. Then, buy a new PS3 and IMMEDIATELY do the data transfer/mirror copy to your new one. My 60GB lasted just long enough to do this. I then tried to watch a BD after moving it to my theater, and it made it about ten minutes in before YLODing again. The transfer worked perfectly, however. My new PS3 was a complete copy of my old one. Just follow the youtube how to vids. Of course, if you don't care about anything on your old one, save the time, and just fire up the new one. Call Sony, stay on hold for half an hour, and have them deactivate the dead one. Worst hold music EVER...

What does your last sentence mean? How many ps3's can we have associated with an account? I think you are right, it is best to deactivate it, but if it is 5 like devices for iTunes, then no need to wait on hold wink.gif

I will have to look up the HD transfer process if I get the old one up. Is it direct or do you copy it to an external HD or such first?
djb5f is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
mgr_stl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Valley Park, MO
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

What does your last sentence mean?

He's talking about the hold music when you are calling Sony support. It certainly does not provide the calming influence most companies shoot for. I had an unpleasant experience with Sony customer service recently; perhaps it was all just because I was fired up and angry due to the hold music smile.gif
mgr_stl is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl View Post

He's talking about the hold music when you are calling Sony support. It certainly does not provide the calming influence most companies shoot for. I had an unpleasant experience with Sony customer service recently; perhaps it was all just because I was fired up and angry due to the hold music smile.gif

Oops, sorry, was referring to the next-to-last sentence, about having to call Sony to deactivate the old ps3. Whether that is necessary, I am guessing there is a limit to how many ps3's we can download our purchases to?

Or maybe he did it so when he sold it, they couldn't buy stuff using his credit card.
djb5f is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The limit is 2 activations (Used to be 5).

I thought you could remotely deactivate a system now without it being present or even operable. Just deactivate and if said system is ever logged online again, those licenses are cancelled out.
Leo_Ames is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off