Where is the PS4 Titan Fall killer? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 663 Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Only this board would spin a million units sold as a bad thing. Here's another way to look at it. That's a million more people playing titanfall. That's a million more people telling their friends how fun the game is. More games will come later this year.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 663 Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Microsoft was counting on Titanfall moving units, giving sales a second wind so to speak, if they have already moved those units, it really isn't a good thing in the grand scheme.

Think about it in Nintendo terms, Nintendo expected 3D Mario to move units, but those units were already moved resulting in a smaller than expected sales bump. Mario Kart is their next "system seller" but what happens if the same thing holds true?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #453 of 663 Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
So the titanfall hype is already over? I'm saying that as these people play titanfall they will evangelize the console to their friends.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #454 of 663 Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

So the titanfall hype is already over? I'm saying that as these people play titanfall they will evangelize the console to their friends.

Not by a longshot, but the group most caught up by the hype already own the console. Then you have the PC version and 360 version as well.

Part of the purpose of the beta was to do just that, get word of mouth going. Console sales don't seem to be getting the uptick a major release like this should be seeing. (Basing this on the Amazon charts) If Microsoft truly spent hundreds of millions on the game, and they already have moved the bulk of units, would you consider that a good investment?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #455 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Not by a longshot, but the group most caught up by the hype already own the console. Then you have the PC version and 360 version as well.

Part of the purpose of the beta was to do just that, get word of mouth going. Console sales don't seem to be getting the uptick a major release like this should be seeing. (Basing this on the Amazon charts) If Microsoft truly spent hundreds of millions on the game, and they already have moved the bulk of units, would you consider that a good investment?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say a game that helps move over a million units is definitely a big success. And, I'm sure that will push MS to bring more exclusives to the console. Titan fall ain't for me, but I won't deny the fact that it's a game many people want right now.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #456 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say a game that helps move over a million units is definitely a big success. And, I'm sure that will push MS to bring more exclusives to the console. Titan fall ain't for me, but I won't deny the fact that it's a game many people want right now.

If Titanfall can't give them their desired sales bump, and can't keep sales improved enough until the next big game, then they will have a big problem on their hands. It isn't the success they were looking for.

Remember, they expected the console to sell out much like the PS4 is, but units have been readily available since early December. Titanfall was meant to keep the system selling out just when demand should begin to die down, instead they now need it to reinvigorate the lagging sales.

And Microsoft didn't bring Titanfall as an exclusive, they paid to keep it off of Sony platforms. The sales gap and multiplats selling better on PS4 will make buying exclusives even more expensive for them. Arkham Knight is currently tracking 4:1 in PS4's favor.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #457 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Only this board would spin a million units sold as a bad thing. Here's another way to look at it. That's a million more people playing titanfall. That's a million more people telling their friends how fun the game is. More games will come later this year.

I think you're missing the point.

1) What are the "more games coming later this year?" To the best of my knowledge Microsoft does not have a new Halo or a new Gears lined up.

2) 1 million isn't enough with the eggs they've put into the TitanFall basket

3) TitanFall is going to be the difference between the XboxOne becoming a steady and solid 2nd place or another Wii-U. I think Sony is too far ahead. Not because of current to date sales but because mindset of the average joe doesn't seem to be changing at all.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #458 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

I disagree, it depends on the game and the marketing/moneyhatting/hype invested.

If a game like Ni No Kuni sales a million, yeah that's good.

If a game like TitanFall that had an exclusivity cost, a big marketing cost, has lots of hype then 1 million isn't enough.

The metric of success isn't the same for every game. For Titanfall, even if the game itself drew some percentage of return on investment from a financial perspective but didn't sell the consoles Microsoft needs then it wouldn't be a success because the long term cost wouldn't have been justified. Microsoft is asking a lot from TitanFall. It's asking more than Sony did of MGS4 last generation and it's going to be almost impossible for the game to live up to it. It doesn't matter how great or fun the game is, its being asked to carry a console when there is a boat anchor attached to it.

post #459 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Titanfall is the first must-have game of this console generation. The amazon yearly rankings back this up (TF is the best-selling game so far this year, Infamous ranks behind Just Dance 2014(!)), yet we're talking about what a failure it is? All before the game has even officially launched? I realize we're in the Playstation area, but this simply defies logic.

Unless Halo 5 makes a surprise appearance this year, I don't see any MS or Sony exclusive on the calendar that will dethrone Titanfall.
post #460 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

I think you're missing the point.

1) What are the "more games coming later this year?" To the best of my knowledge Microsoft does not have a new Halo or a new Gears lined up.

2) 1 million isn't enough with the eggs they've put into the TitanFall basket

3) TitanFall is going to be the difference between the XboxOne becoming a steady and solid 2nd place or another Wii-U. I think Sony is too far ahead. Not because of current to date sales but because mindset of the average joe doesn't seem to be changing at all.

halo is supposed to release later this year..
post #461 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

Titanfall is the first must-have game of this console generation. The amazon yearly rankings back this up (TF is the best-selling game so far this year, Infamous ranks behind Just Dance 2014(!)), yet we're talking about what a failure it is? All before the game has even officially launched? I realize we're in the Playstation area, but this simply defies logic.

Unless Halo 5 makes a surprise appearance this year, I don't see any MS or Sony exclusive on the calendar that will dethrone Titanfall.

No one is disputing that. All I am saying, and I think Pen as well, is that TitanFall is being tasked with doing too much. Too much is needed out of it. It's possible that it's the biggest game of the year by a wide margin and that still may not be enough to give Microsoft what it needs out of it. Remember MGS4 on PS3, it was set up to fail in a similar regard. It was a great game, I love it, many people loved it. It however didn't do what Sony needed to turn the tide. Turns out price cuts and a diverse lineup somewhat saved the console so that it had enough legs to finish the generation respectfully. Titanfall is being tasked with that same difference.
tsaville likes this.

post #462 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No one is disputing that. All I am saying, and I think Pen as well, is that TitanFall is being tasked with doing too much. Too much is needed out of it. It's possible that it's the biggest game of the year by a wide margin and that still may not be enough to give Microsoft what it needs out of it. Remember MGS4 on PS3, it was set up to fail in a similar regard. It was a great game, I love it, many people loved it. It however didn't do what Sony needed to turn the tide. Turns out price cuts and a diverse lineup somewhat saved the console so that it had enough legs to finish the generation respectfully. Titanfall is being tasked with that same difference.

Fair enough. I think it will create some momentum for MS; it's just a question of how long it will be sustained.
post #463 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Keep in mind that a few/many people were waiting for TF to come out before buying an xbone. I'm excited to see how it is a month from now. Will a lot of people just drop it like a rock because their bored of it or will it indeed be something that has legs? I know, I know its the greatest thing ever and I'm stupid for ever doubting. tongue.gif but I half expect to start seeing comments about its COD likeness once the shiny wears off and that is what will harm this game more than anything. It has got to shake its COD roots so people don't see it as same old engine, same old game and 50% of that statement is already true.
post #464 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Keep in mind that a few/many people were waiting for TF to come out before buying an xbone. I'm excited to see how it is a month from now. Will a lot of people just drop it like a rock because their bored of it or will it indeed be something that has legs? I know, I know its the greatest thing ever and I'm stupid for ever doubting. tongue.gif but I half expect to start seeing comments about its COD likeness once the shiny wears off and that is what will harm this game more than anything. It has got to shake its COD roots so people don't see it as same old engine, same old game and 50% of that statement is already true.

I think the people who say "it's just COD with mechs" haven't actually played the game. As someone who doesn't care for COD multiplayer, I had the same concerns when I first saw the TF trailers. After playing the Beta, I no longer have these concerns.
post #465 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the people who say "it's just COD with mechs" haven't actually played the game. As someone who doesn't care for COD multiplayer, I had the same concerns when I first saw the TF trailers. After playing the Beta, I no longer have these concerns.

How about COD + Floaty Jump Halo + Mechs??

Floaty Jumps make me apprehensive, I cannot stand floaty super jump mechanisms and verticality with no fall damage

post #466 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 146
Quote:

I had the same issue before paying the beta but the thing is, it's how compley you decide to play the game that makes it unique.

Quote:

like you too!

I think I had this on the XBOX TF thread but TF is as complex as you make it. A ton of reviews have mentioned the fact that there are different games within a game.

the first as pilot, you can just be a pilot, run around, wall jump and double jump to your little hearts content. Call in a titan when you want and set to Guard mode or Follow mode
there's then the Titan play. you can pilot around, pilot the titan killing anything that moves and go head to head up against another titan.
and finally the epilogue mini game which is frantic and fun at the same time.

and everything in between

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #467 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about COD + Floaty Jump Halo + Mechs??

Floaty Jumps make me apprehensive, I cannot stand floaty super jump mechanisms and verticality with no fall damage

it's a game...
mboojigga likes this.

I Geez Zeus Me

post #468 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, if you'd have told me on November 15th that I'd be avoiding BF because it was a junky pos I'd have laughed at you. Things change after time. A month in will be a decent indicator of long term viability. Its shiny now and were fresh off a beta that got everyone hyped. See how it is when either A) EA fks it up, ahem BF, or B) people play it to death and max out well before any DLC drops. Option C) is that its a good game and has legs which is entirely possible as well. Its going to be interesting to say the least.
post #469 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 211
DIsclaimer: I did play beta on PC

How isn't the game COD with mechs exactly? Aren't nearly all FPS titles the same at their gameplay core? You generally have similar game modes (deathmatch; team deathmatch; capture & hold; etc.) TF brings all of those same times. They add a variance to the vertical realm of the game, with the jumping, but ultimately you are still doing the same thing as you would in any other FPS...

Last titan standing (imo) was the one thing that set the game aside from other FPS titles I have played. It focuses more on team play vs "rush head on into a fight with another titan". The matches we won in this mode, were done so with proper flanking and moving as units vs attempted 1v1 fights.

Have yet to see anyone release a game that is truly 100% different at it's core. Most games add new "gloss" to a formula that is pretty well established and this applies to the Big 3 (MS, Sony, Nintendo).

I'm curious if all 1mil units were TF bundles or combined base console + bundle.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #470 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
but the whole this game is COD with this or that is getting old... Goldeneye was wolfenstien with multiplayer, Halo was sci fi Goldeneye, etc.. etc.. FPS are FPS
mboojigga and mikeloxlong like this.
post #471 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
(deathmatch; team deathmatch; capture & hold; etc.) TF brings all of those same times.
Do you mean there are multiple objectives in one match like in the Killzone franchise? If so, that would be cool! As I love the "warzone" mode in the Killzone franchise.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #472 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

but the whole this game is COD with this or that is getting old... Goldeneye was wolfenstien with multiplayer, Halo was sci fi Goldeneye, etc.. etc.. FPS are FPS

Very true but I think there is a difference in this particular case though. It is using the COD engine and is by the same MW people so it will be looked upon as such. Destiny could very well be in the same boat by being from the Halo guys but being more MMO than shooter may differentiate it a bit.
post #473 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I posted this question in the Xbox forum and got nothing. I was wondering if maybe you Sony guys know...

Out of curiosity, I am at work and all game sites/related are blocked, what are the NAFTA sales to date comparison of the XBOX One vs the PS4? I am a fan of competition as it keeps everyone more or less honest. I read an article that Sony is in a severe economic crisis. So they need the PS4 to have more sales to basically stay afloat. Which kind of explains why they launched their console when they did (I still feel both parties launched to soon). My question may be over simplified but that is the heart of it.

I was wondering because I am more curious, Apples to Apples with the NAFTA information than world-wide.

Thanks

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #474 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Do you mean there are multiple objectives in one match like in the Killzone franchise? If so, that would be cool! As I love the "warzone" mode in the Killzone franchise.

is that the mode that takes like 45 minutes to complete?

I Geez Zeus Me

post #475 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

No individual modes; but the game offers a random mode, which will select a mode at random, but each mode is isolated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

is that the mode that takes like 45 minutes to complete?

Is that a bad thing? Most KZ sessions aren't longer than 30mins iirc...I'm probably wrong tho.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #476 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

not a bad thing, I know it's not my cup of tea. I like my 10-12 minutes skirmishes. 30-45 minute battles are probably going to seem like a chore after a while but it's different strokes for different strokes right?

I Geez Zeus Me

post #477 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

not a bad thing, I know it's not my cup of tea. I like my 10-12 minutes skirmishes. 30-45 minute battles are probably going to seem like a chore after a while but it's different strokes for different strokes right?

it's just a game.

post #478 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

exactly..you can see the other point of view afterall! hooray!

I Geez Zeus Me

post #479 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

exactly..you can see the other point of view afterall! hooray!

Yeah, those that slant playstation tend to welcome diversity!
freemeat likes this.

post #480 of 663 Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very true but I think there is a difference in this particular case though. It is using the COD engine and is by the same MW people so it will be looked upon as such. Destiny could very well be in the same boat by being from the Halo guys but being more MMO than shooter may differentiate it a bit.

It is using source, not the modified Quake 3 engine that CoD uses. They just heavily tweaked it to look and feel like the CoD engine.

Personally, I was really hoping that they would use Frostbite, that way they could have created a true next gen showcase. Instead they created a game that is technically unimpressive. Remember the All Ghillied Up reveal? I wanted that level of wow factor again.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page