AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   PlayStation Area (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/)
-   -   Where is the PS4 Titan Fall killer? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/1509544-where-ps4-titan-fall-killer.html)

G-Rex 01-03-2014 03:38 PM

Titanfall looks to be a fairly interesting game, though too much of a COD influence by making it a hectic fast twitch shooter. If Sony made a similar game, slowed it down a bit and catered to the older gamer (Chrome Hounds depth and strategic influence)... they may have a hit on their hands. Could this be the new title that Guerrilla Games is working on??? The BF4 Frost Bite 2 engine would also be perfect for such a game. With the PS4 being a Japanese console, and Mech games being popular in Japan, I would hope that such a game is in development especially with all the attention Titanfall received at E3.

tfoltz 01-03-2014 04:14 PM

A mech game would be cool but must fps elements are very stale now; multiplayer is the only saving grace. No clue how Titanfall will be, but I want unique ideas instead of mimicry. Unfortunately the money is in the stale fps.

lordxar5 01-03-2014 05:20 PM

Personally I hope it fails miserably. First its from the same old COD crowd and second its bought and paid for by Microsoft. I get exclusives but I'd much rather see a first party than a third party exclusive. Third party exclusives ruin it. That said, if it was multiplat I would check it out but I have far more faith in Destiny bringing something new to the table and not being a repetitive deathmatch all the time. Woo mechs...there are several mech IP's. How about a Destiny/TF mix set in the Mechwarrior uni?

Big Brad 01-03-2014 07:09 PM

Everyone I've spoken to about Titanfall tells me how innovative it looks. Maybe I've been watching the wrong videos as it looks like Unreal Tournament. With mechs. Not too innovative or interesting.

TonyDP 01-03-2014 07:18 PM

I'll be curious to see how Titanfall actually performs sales-wise once it's released. Multiplayer-only games typically don't sell as well as games with some kind of a single player campaign to it. I know I personally have zero interest in the game as MP only just doesn't hold my interest long enough to warrant a $60 investment so to my eyes, I don't see as the PS4 as really even needing a Titanfall killer.

Anthony1 01-03-2014 07:34 PM

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that Sony didn't have more internal projects ready for launch from their best studios. God of War Ascension is an example of wasting resources that should have been concentrated on PS4 launch games. Gran Turismo 6 is another example of this. Sony should have been smarter about cutting off the umbilical cord. They came in 2nd or 3rd last gen, and they should have had more of a dedication to really winning this new console battle, and they should have had more games ready to go. The Last of Us was obviously an amazing game, but that game likely means we won't be playing a ND PS4 game till 2015.

Infamous Second Son is obviously their No.1 stunner this Spring, but they need to advertise the living crap out of that game. We know that Infamous is cool, but the general public at large doesn't really know what the heck Infamous is. They really need to advertise it to the hilt.

zBuff 01-03-2014 07:48 PM

I don't think they need one.

With Titanfall coming out too soon in the platform's life and also being on 360 and PC anyway. I can just about guarantee the sequel (with single player content), will be coming out on PS4 also.

The PS4 is outselling the Xbox One easily worldwide. It would cost MS dearly to securing an exclusive for the sequels, given the amount of sales EA would lose out on, not releasing on the more popular platform.

EA was either expecting the Xbox One to perform better against the PS4 than what it is, or they always intended on a quick way out by releasing a Titanfall derivative that was not covered by exclusivity contract.

The only reason why the 360 could obtain so many 3rd party exclusives was because of the greater user base compared to the PS3.

G-Rex 01-03-2014 09:27 PM

I agree with Brad that TF in its present state does not interest me that much. Too fast = simple COD/Unreal Tournament gameplay with no time for strategic elements or team work to even occur or be coordinated. I am way past those types of games at this point. However, if the strategic influence of Chrome Hounds was added and if it wasn't so heavily infantry based then I would be. Team based Mech action/strategy (at reasonable speed...no not Armored Core speed either) and creating custom Mechs for different purposes/classes adds depth that is rarely seen in games today. CH had unlimited replay with a good squad.

There has been nothing like CH before or since. Hawkins is too simple and arcadey. The new Mech Warrior just doesn't feel right and is laser based. Chrome Hounds was artillery based which gave a far better feel and play mechanics. As good as BF4 and KZ are, I would like to see Sony push the Mech genre. FPS, as another poster said, are getting a bit stale.

Epyon415 01-03-2014 10:30 PM

Titanfall is unproven and faces SERIOUS competition in the FPS realm. I believe it will not fail out right, but considering the issues EA has had with BF4 they are going to need one hell of a hail mary with it. Not to mention the likelihood of lost sales from being XB1 exclusive, i'm sure EA is dumping everything they have at this title. It will be interesting to see if it adds/changes the FPS MP field, but honestly i doubt it.

Epyon415 01-03-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that Sony didn't have more internal projects ready for launch from their best studios. God of War Ascension is an example of wasting resources that should have been concentrated on PS4 launch games. Gran Turismo 6 is another example of this. Sony should have been smarter about cutting off the umbilical cord. They came in 2nd or 3rd last gen, and they should have had more of a dedication to really winning this new console battle, and they should have had more games ready to go. The Last of Us was obviously an amazing game, but that game likely means we won't be playing a ND PS4 game till 2015.

Infamous Second Son is obviously their No.1 stunner this Spring, but they need to advertise the living crap out of that game. We know that Infamous is cool, but the general public at large doesn't really know what the heck Infamous is. They really need to advertise it to the hilt.

Sony has proven time and again that they are the "long-haul" game company. Everything that made the PS3 so spectacular occurred in it's mid-late game cycle, which I think helped PS4, since so much talk was still on titles like TLoU. If Sony had dropped all it's big hitters at launch they probably wouldn't have gotten the financial success they wanted as gamers would've been cash strapped between console purchase, initial game(s) and maybe accessories. Not to mention the fact it was the holidays. I would bet on Uncharted 4 coming out this year; add Infamous, The Order plus the major 3rd party titles and the year as a strong triple a lineup. Contrary to what they claim, I'd bet Naughty Dog is working on 1-2 additional titles, and I believe Sony SM is working on another title. E3 (though a bit of a ways off) will likely include some major title name dropping. Sony LOVES the hype train, but we know when it arrives that bitch will deliver!

blklightning 01-04-2014 06:48 AM

Not much to kill yet since the game hasn't even proven if it's any good.

PENDRAG0ON 01-04-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Look at it this way, Microsoft dropped most of their first party development in 2009, the core crowd noticed that. Sony on the other hand has supported the PS3 past the launch of the PS4, and still has a few first party games on the way. This long term support benefits early adopters as it reassures them that the console will be supported for the entire generation.

The lack of support is why I slowly shifted away from Xbox and why I haven't gotten a Xbox One. Bought and paid for exclusives are of little interest to me since there is no guarentee that more stuff will come from those devs. Microsoft let their first party dev teams stagnate while Sony spent an entire generation building a first party lineup that is unrivaled, not even Nintendo can compete with their potential output and all of it is focused on the PS4.

As for Uncharted, Naughty Dog has two dev teams, and is potentially building a third. I would not be surprised if Uncharted makes it for a November release.

Crash44 01-04-2014 10:52 AM

Titanfall may be taking the record for over-hype of a new game franchise. No one has played it yet! Could be awful, could be great. Who knows?

After watching all the demo's a number of times you know what game I see? Unreal Tournament- Overpowered jumps, overpowered weapons, twitch movement and multiplayer only (definitely a Tribes influence with the jetpacks too). UT3 was a blast back in the day, so here's hoping the Respawn guys have success repeating that same formula.

One unique title for XBone will not have a negative effect on the half dozen or so due for PS4 this year. I do agree that Sony needs to get the word out to the less informed on their games, like inFamous SS for example. More marketing for specific exclusives will help counter the competition.

benjamin-benjami 01-04-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Titanfall may be taking the record for over-hype of a new game franchise. No one has played it yet! Could be awful, could be great. Who knows?

After watching all the demo's a number of times you know what game I see? Unreal Tournament- Overpowered jumps, overpowered weapons, twitch movement and multiplayer only (definitely a Tribes influence with the jetpacks too). UT3 was a blast back in the day, so here's hoping the Respawn guys have success repeating that same formula.

One unique title for XBone will not have a negative effect on the half dozen or so due for PS4 this year. I do agree that Sony needs to get the word out to the less informed on their games, like inFamous SS for example. More marketing for specific exclusives will help counter the competition.

1. yes people have played titanfall, so the "hype" is largely from people that have actually played the game
2. a lot of people here sound like "sour grapes" if titanfall 1 was exclusive to PS4 then people would be listing that game as part of the reason to own a PS4
3. Sony has always struggled to have a true AAA FPS, resistance and KZ are solid games, but nowhere near the sales and excitement of halo, cod, BF, etc..
4. No console is perfect, it is OK to admit that titanfall will probably be a great game and it is OK.
5. If MS fanboys were saying things like "i don't think uncharted is really that good and TLoU is just overhyped, etc.." people would rip them..

PENDRAG0ON 01-04-2014 03:39 PM

Back at E3 Titanfall won a massive amount of awards, which really puzzled me because it did not qualify for any of them. (A requirement was it had to be playable at the show, and it was never shown in a playable form) It was suddenly the greatest thing ever according to every media outlet that had no proof that anyone had played it. All we have is the word of EA, Microsoft and the gaming press. All sources that are more than happy to deal with money hats and manufactured hype, which is exactly what Titanfall has felt like, manufactured hype.

It was months later that the public got their hands on the PC version, and impressions were solid, but nothing like the hype train from E3. The whole thing just feels off because of how events have transpired.

Add in that EA is involved, and I am very worried for the launch, every game they have been involved in has been a mess at launch and with Titanfall being multiplayer only, it is easy to be worried.

TyrantII 01-04-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

1. yes people have played titanfall, so the "hype" is largely from people that have actually played the game
2. a lot of people here sound like "sour grapes" if titanfall 1 was exclusive to PS4 then people would be listing that game as part of the reason to own a PS4
3. Sony has always struggled to have a true AAA FPS, resistance and KZ are solid games, but nowhere near the sales and excitement of halo, cod, BF, etc..
4. No console is perfect, it is OK to admit that titanfall will probably be a great game and it is OK.
5. If MS fanboys were saying things like "i don't think uncharted is really that good and TLoU is just overhyped, etc.." people would rip them..

As to 5, NaughtDog earned that. People we're excited for TLoU because of ND's past, but not many were calling it the GOTY before it even came out. Especially in a year with the lineups we've had.

Titanfall probably will be good, but the fact remains that very few people have actually sat and played it, let alone played a full feature set of the game. As you said, it's really tough to make a AAA, popular FPS. So shouldn't some caution be warranted?

I'd think so, especially after the last few years in "gaming journalism". Remember all those 10/10's and the unbearable hype GTA got? And it's mostly been MIA from GOTY. TLOU didn't have anywhere near the hype (payloa), but it's there at the top still despite being release early last year. Maybe, as you say, it's just that Sony fans have their BS meters primed after being burned before on promises on gen changing FPS (Resistance, KZ, Haze, ect) wink.gif

Darth Vedder 01-04-2014 03:53 PM

I remember reading things about TitanFall in which the developers indicated that they are not designing the game to be as much of a fast, twitch shooter like CoD. They commented on how they are getting older, and cant keep up with that pace. They want you to be able to stay alive longer, and just recently, stated their intentions to eliminate quick-scoping (or no-scoping). I hope they are successful.

benjamin-benjami 01-04-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

As to 5, NaughtDog earned that. People we're excited for TLoU because of ND's past, but not many were calling it the GOTY before it even came out. Especially in a year with the lineups we've had.

Titanfall probably will be good, but the fact remains that very few people have actually sat and played it, let alone played a full feature set of the game. As you said, it's really tough to make a AAA, popular FPS. So shouldn't some caution be warranted?

I'd think so, especially after the last few years in "gaming journalism". Remember all those 10/10's and the unbearable hype GTA got? And it's mostly been MIA from GOTY. TLOU didn't have anywhere near the hype (payloa), but it's there at the top still despite being release early last year. Maybe, as you say, it's just that Sony fans have their BS meters primed after being burned before on promises on gen changing FPS (Resistance, KZ, Haze, ect) wink.gif

couple of things. Pretty sure some of the respawn guys have a much more impressive and longer resume than ND, which is saying something.. medal of honor and COD....never said there shouldn't be caution, just don't have a "fanboy" attitude.. if it was a Sony exclusive people on this board would be hyping it up...

TyrantII 01-04-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

couple of things. Pretty sure some of the respawn guys have a much more impressive and longer resume than ND, which is saying something.. medal of honor and COD....never said there shouldn't be caution, just don't have a "fanboy" attitude.. if it was a Sony exclusive people on this board would be hyping it up...

I'm sure they would. I'd still be un-hyped myself being very particular about FPS's.

The other problem is these guys are the former-COD guys. Game development is one industry where past performance doesn't always mean future success. Especially after things get messy.

Either way they have a good idea. I just want to see their execution first before jumping on the bandwagon. I've become very cynical of the media as of late due to the crap they pull; and when I see unanimous hype coming from the big names (and the little guys not getting in the circle) it feels like that typical setup where access and ad revenues were agreed upon. Either way, usually the game changers come out of left field and earn their meddle.

PENDRAG0ON 01-04-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Don't count on that, people from Naughty Dog worked with Infinity Ward to get CoD4 up to speed on the PS3. It isn't wise to underestimate the technical knowledge of Naughty Dog, or their ability to make hit games. (Dating back to the 80s)

Sony's ICE team is made up of people from Naughty Dog as well, and some recent additions have really beefed up what was already an amazing team. Why downplay them?

All the hype around Titanfall feels like the industry is trying to manufacture a CoD killer, it all comes off as artificial and forced.

Epyon415 01-04-2014 05:00 PM

The game is on PC and I still don't believe it is going to be the E.L.E everyone is thinking it will be. It is nothing more than an FPS with walking tanks and wall jumping. Nothing new is being introduced to the genre. MS has banked on this title to be a system mover, but it is an unproven IP. Way too much to try to live up to, so they have put themselves in a precarious position. If it fails, both they and EA will never hear the end of it from all gamers, regardless of which camp (if any) they are in. The devs are former COD, so naturally it is going to be looked at as a direct competitor to that franchise and Activision.

The FPS market is over-saturated with every title trying to be a killer. Sony doesn't need to worry about trying to claim the FPS market, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've accepted the fact that they likely won't. KZ2 had more hype around it than I could remember for a new franchise and well sadly it didn't become the behemoth everyone was expecting it to be.

Nowadays games must near everything they are given and simply because a dev has some crazy cool ideas or concepts doesn't automatically make their titles a game changer.

lordxar5 01-04-2014 05:05 PM

Ben I agree to a point that if it were a PS exclusive we'd be excited. I wouldn't wag it in anyone's face though. I'm actually sick of all this third party exclusive garbage. PS got BF maps early and now MS does. Mass Effect was exclusive for a time. Now Dead Rising is back to exclusive. So dumb to limit a fan base, especially on DR that did get released on the PS for the second game. If a company owns the studio its one thing but paid garbage is just garbage.

benjamin-benjami 01-04-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Don't count on that, people from Naughty Dog worked with Infinity Ward to get CoD4 up to speed on the PS3. It isn't wise to underestimate the technical knowledge of Naughty Dog, or their ability to make hit games. (Dating back to the 80s)

Sony's ICE team is made up of people from Naughty Dog as well, and some recent additions have really beefed up what was already an amazing team. Why downplay them?

All the hype around Titanfall feels like the industry is trying to manufacture a CoD killer, it all comes off as artificial and forced.

you took my post the wrong way, to say it is OK to hyped about TLoU because of past success, but not OK to get hyped about someone who created the most successful ENTERTAINMENT (not video game, but bigger than movies, etc..) product of all time is discounting them. I am not a COD lover, but i don't discount what they accomplished. So i wasn't discounting ND i was giving credit to respawn/infinity ward/Medal of honor..... ND was probably my favorite developer of last gen. Let me put it this way, i hate Mcdonalds, don't like their food/ingredients, etc.. but what Ray Kroc did with franchising and the success they have had from a business standpoint i respect. So you don't have to like COD as a game, but you have to (or at least should) respect the fact Medal of Honor fell off after they left and now COD is falling off now that they left, and lets not even talk about revenue generated..

Big Brad 01-04-2014 05:25 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that it won't be good, but that it won't be the end all FPS. If it's very successful, you can count on it that they're going to run it into the ground just like the Call of Duty franchise. Quantity of quality is the name of the game these days.

PENDRAG0ON 01-04-2014 05:26 PM

I never said anything about hype, I was completely unhyped for The Last of Us thanks to Uncharted 3 being an unplayable mess at release. (Which received universal media praise as well) the hype for The Last of Us was lost on me until actual players here on AVS started to confirm that the hype wasn't misplaced.

Medal of Honor never went mainstream from Infinity Ward's contributions. And CoD took 4 entries to take off and two more to hit full stride. It was never a technical showcase and has barely changed in 7 years, comparing them to Naughty Dog has no real point in this discussion.

blklightning 01-04-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

I, for one, don't care what console it's coming to. I want Watch Dogs way more than any FPS.

Big Brad 01-04-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

I, for one, don't care what console it's coming to. I want Watch Dogs way more than any FPS.

Unless we are talking about Half Life 3, then I absolutely agree with you 100%.

PENDRAG0ON 01-04-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Unless we are talking about Half Life 3, then I absolutely agree with you 100%.

Make that Left 4 Dead 3 and you have my sword as well.

Big Brad 01-04-2014 05:39 PM

Derail complete. biggrin.gif

domingos38 01-05-2014 03:55 PM

all this negativety about titan fall coming from PS4 fans doesn't surprise me.
It could be a game changer when it comes out ,it will be a console seller and its an MS exclusive .