PS4 Gaming Headset thread! - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #271 of 468 Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well I was looking for a headset for online play mostly because that mic that came with the ps4 is just well bad. Wish they went with something smilar to the xbox 360 headset.

Anyway, Didn't want to spend a lot but here in canada, both futureshop and Bestbuy were running a great deal on the Gold Headest. 40$ off so they were 60$ instead of 99$. Obviously online and every store were soldout but I was able to get Toys R us to price match.

Consider that price, I think they are good for 60$ but I only used them for one night. Need to try them a bit longer but I have 45 days to return them if something is up.

Anyone else got the issues regarding the PS4 wifi mentionned by tfoltz? I have my ps4 hard wired myself so it's a none issue for me but I'm curious. They do suggest that if you have issues with WIFI, to change your channel on your router side to something else to help with the wifi problem in the documentation on the sony website. Wonrder if Tfoltz tried it before returning them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 468 Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
Got the Gold headset today and found out that using the headset makes my wifi signal disconnect on the PS4. Wish I knew this was a thing earlier: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...50493826556135 ; http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/42876483
I do not have this problem at all. What kind of router do you have? I recently replaced mine which was a Linksys E4200 v1. Had it for a little over 3 years. I got the Linksys WRT1900AC now. Neither one has ever had this issue when using the headset.
post #273 of 468 Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunal Anand View Post
So, i bought the gold wireless headsets. Liking them so far. Can you guys tell me which preset works best with which type of game? Is it worth keeping vss on?
For custom settings, how much have you guys increased/ decreased trebble,bass and mids and which is the ideal setting?

I am not much of an audiophille, so suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
I would suggest using the app. for it. It even has specific game, movie and music profiles for setting 2.
post #274 of 468 Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
Got the Gold headset today and found out that using the headset makes my wifi signal disconnect on the PS4. Wish I knew this was a thing earlier: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...50493826556135 ; http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/42876483
I do not have this problem at all. What kind of router do you have? I recently replaced mine which was a Linksys E4200 v1. Had it for a little over 3 years. I got the Linksys WRT1900AC now. Neither one has ever had this issue when using the headset.
Happened with a Linksys E2500 and a Medialink router. I've read about others having the same issue, though not sure what the problem is.
post #275 of 468 Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gold headset vs PX4

First off, those with the Gold Headset do you notice sound bleeding through the headphones and being heard by others in the room? That's a big thing for me and I've heard since the "closed back" design they use is kinda flimsy as far as sound isolation.

Next I want to hear from anyone who has tried both the PX4 and the Golds. Any reasons for going with one over the other? I'm not terribly concerned with plugging a cable into the controller for chat as I don't use the chat functions much anyway. Mainly looking for the best sound for around that price.

I've debated on getting the wireless mix amp from Astro, 5.8 i believe?, and using my Sennheiser HD280's and calling it good. Any suggestions?

LG 47" 120Hz 1080p TV
Denon AVR-591
Sony SSF-5000 Front L/R
Sony SSCN-3000 Center and Surround L/R
Logitech Harmony 1100 remote
Sony PS4 Gaming Console
post #276 of 468 Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 PM

Liked: 12
Thumbs up

Bought the Gold headset and found that people where having issues hearing me since the mic is built into the ear cup and is a 'open mic' which picks up EVERYTHING in the room. So it's like a conference call.. yuck.

Figured I would upgrade to a "high" end ($250-300) set and settled on the closeout Turtle Beach Ear Force PX51 ( new model back to $300 is PX510 ) The PX51 didn't have many differences and with the closeout price of $170 (Amazon) I pulled the trigger.

Oh man are these a WHOLE lot better. True 7.1 and tons of presets both for chat and game settings. Dual-Band Wi-Fi Wireless and powerful, Dual-Stage Audio Processing for Dolby® Digital Surround Sound. Stream music to your headset via Bluetooth even.

Only problem... you have to download an update file to your PC and update the headphones to work with PS4. (oh and you need a an extra cable ($14) to run from the pad) There are soooo many menus to set up the chat feature that I got so lost I had hoped someone on here had some advice on how to hook it up right. Guess I'm the first to get them here.. so yeah. The detachable mic creates a lower 'game' environment sound and between the PS4 OS audio settings and the headsets it's difficult to figure out how to set each volume correctly to work. Silly me thought you could just plug in the mic and just chat.. but noooo.. it so convoluted with the chat presets.. volumes.. PS4 OS settings.. and I can't even figure how to stop hearing myself in the headset! Sigh. I've ended up not using them for chat for now.. to good to ditch them however. Maybe sometime I'll revisit how to get the chat working right. I'll hit up the PS and TB forums for some hand holding.

Not sure if it's cool to link (prob not.. but f it) check them out..
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-d...force-px51/346

Edit: found how to turn off mic monitor (hear yourself) on the headset.. On the PX51, XP510, XP7, Z7, Sierra, and Tango, this control is labeled as "Programmable" or "PGM" (yeah.. real clear.. sigh)

OH and you DON'T need to buy the extra chat cable.. after you update the firmware the mobile cable which is included, can be used !!

Last edited by Pluvious; 08-30-2014 at 09:36 PM.
post #277 of 468 Old 08-31-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just got the Golds. No issues with ps4 wireless. I don't know if sounds bleeds out, but I know sounds bleed in so I guess it's a two way street. I had the px4 after Xmas last year and didn't care for them much, plus they were hard to set up. I wanted my game audio to go to the receiver and the chat audio to come to headphones. Apparently this doesn't work?

Anyway I took back the px4 and got the golds recently. I am finding that I just don't care for headphones when gaming, but these are good for 80. For anyone comparing these to the px4 at half the cost or to the Astros at 3-4 times the cost you're not comparing apples to apples. If you have the money get the better headphones, the astro a50 are commonly accepted as the best gaming headset you can get. The golds are obviously not, but passable in my opinion for an option so your wife doesn't have to hear every gunshot at 2am

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #278 of 468 Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can't find the post about the mic on on the ps gold headset. I use a fan, not an air conditioner. Can you mute yourself, so people don't hear it?
post #279 of 468 Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclayton View Post
I can't find the post about the mic on on the ps gold headset. I use a fan, not an air conditioner. Can you mute yourself, so people don't hear it?
Yes, you can mute yourself.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #280 of 468 Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM

I just found out the - Pulse Elite Wireless Stereo Headset, is compatible with the ps4. For those with experience with the gold headset. Which one is better?

Or is there a better wireless headset for around $100?
post #281 of 468 Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM
VR3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
any opinions on the trition 720+ ? can you mute and hear your own voice? can you mute out others? sound & mic quality?

thanks!
post #282 of 468 Old 09-11-2014, 01:46 PM
VR3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
has anyone had any issue with their Astro A40s? thanks!
post #283 of 468 Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
has anyone had any issue with their Astro A40s? thanks!
Nope, love it. Best part is the mix amp - gives you the flexibility to use any headset you'd like (for the most part) with the PS4.
post #284 of 468 Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Has anyone used the original ps3 wireless PlayStation headset with their ps4? I'm not getting any microphone activity.

PSN ID: javant86

post #285 of 468 Old 09-12-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Has anyone used the original ps3 wireless PlayStation headset with their ps4? I'm not getting any microphone activity.
The gold wireless playstation headset?

Mine are working. Maybe adjust the sound/chat volume.

Also, in the audio menu of the PS4, are you outputting All audio or Chat only to the headset?
post #286 of 468 Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 AM

Tried adjusting volume and both of those options. Tested in a party and it works but in game no dice. I'm using this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053O...ref=mp_s_a_1_1

post #287 of 468 Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Tried adjusting volume and both of those options. Tested in a party and it works but in game no dice. I'm using this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053O...ref=mp_s_a_1_1
Yeah I have those and they work great. I have had no issues with chat at all make sure you look through all the options in either accessories or audio.

Anyone considering the Elite beware. My friend bought them as I had like the ones I have and the elite were the newer version. He is about to turn them in on an extended warranty for the second time. The band breaks on both sides just above the ear pieces. It is clearly a design issue. The band is not strong enough the to hand the press the band puts against the ear cups that them on you head. He knew it was an issue and has been very careful not to pull to ear cups apart farther than needed and it cracking again.
post #288 of 468 Old 09-13-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvado78 View Post
Yeah I have those and they work great. I have had no issues with chat at all make sure you look through all the options in either accessories or audio.

Well I used them yesterday and they worked perfectly fine. Not sure what happened or what I had done wrong before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #289 of 468 Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
any opinions on the trition 720+ ? can you mute and hear your own voice? can you mute out others? sound & mic quality?

thanks!
I'm seriously considering picking up a set of the Tritton 720+ today for late night gaming. It's between the Trittons and the Pulse Elites. I've read way too many reports of issues with both (the Tritton's breaking after 4-6 months, the Pulse Elites being uncomfortable and poor battery life), but I'm leaning more towards the Tritton set because comfort is a big deal and I'm not a fan of the Pulse's "bass impact." I had a headset years ago for the 360 that had a similar feature and I didn't like my skull vibrating haha.

I know the Tritton's are wired vs. the Pulse Elites' wireless. I sit close enough to the TV that I don't need wireless, though if that ever became an option, I'd go with the Astro A50's. That's currently out of my budget though.

If I do pick them up, I'll definitely post my impressions of the headsets.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #290 of 468 Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I'm seriously considering picking up a set of the Tritton 720+ today for late night gaming. It's between the Trittons and the Pulse Elites. I've read way too many reports of issues with both (the Tritton's breaking after 4-6 months, the Pulse Elites being uncomfortable and poor battery life), but I'm leaning more towards the Tritton set because comfort is a big deal and I'm not a fan of the Pulse's "bass impact." I had a headset years ago for the 360 that had a similar feature and I didn't like my skull vibrating haha.

I know the Tritton's are wired vs. the Pulse Elites' wireless. I sit close enough to the TV that I don't need wireless, though if that ever became an option, I'd go with the Astro A50's. That's currently out of my budget though.

If I do pick them up, I'll definitely post my impressions of the headsets.
My friend had the Pulse Elite's and you can turn off the bass impact. But again I would caution the purchase of them because he had 2-3 pair of them and they all cracked just above the ear cups on the band just from the pressure the band puts on the head. He had them replaced under and extended warranty and when with the Gold headset this time. Personally, I would under no circumstances buy the Pulse Elites.
post #291 of 468 Old 09-25-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvado78 View Post
My friend had the Pulse Elite's and you can turn off the bass impact. But again I would caution the purchase of them because he had 2-3 pair of them and they all cracked just above the ear cups on the band just from the pressure the band puts on the head. He had them replaced under and extended warranty and when with the Gold headset this time. Personally, I would under no circumstances buy the Pulse Elites.
That's what I have read. Ended getting the Tritton 720+ at GameStop. I'll post my impressions later tonight. My roommates will certainly be happier haha.
post #292 of 468 Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

So, the Tritton 720+ are going back to GameStop (their return is worded funny, might be forced to get another one, though technically this is an accessory, so I hope to get a refund). They are, by far, the most uncomfortable headset I've ever worn. After 3-4 minutes, my temples start throbbing and my outer ears are on fire. This is only exacerbated by the fact that I wear thick rimmed glasses.

I've read that the Trittons are snug, but clamp-like is a more fitting description. Sad as the audio quality is actually really great, though I couldn't get the chat volume high enough.

If I can get a refund, I'll stick with my 7.1 surround for late night gaming for now. If not, well, might try the Pulse Elites or a similarly priced Turtle Beach set.
post #293 of 468 Old 09-26-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
So, the Tritton 720+ are going back to GameStop (their return is worded funny, might be forced to get another one, though technically this is an accessory, so I hope to get a refund). They are, by far, the most uncomfortable headset I've ever worn. After 3-4 minutes, my temples start throbbing and my outer ears are on fire. This is only exacerbated by the fact that I wear thick rimmed glasses.

I've read that the Trittons are snug, but clamp-like is a more fitting description. Sad as the audio quality is actually really great, though I couldn't get the chat volume high enough.

If I can get a refund, I'll stick with my 7.1 surround for late night gaming for now. If not, well, might try the Pulse Elites or a similarly priced Turtle Beach set.

Brad, try out the Golds. IMO, much better than the Elites mostly because of the durability. I returned the Elites bc of that cracking issue and have been very satisfied since then especially bc of the bang for the buck the Golds offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #294 of 468 Old 09-26-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up snagging the Turtle Beach PX4's. Night and day difference in terms of comfort. Sound quality seems about the same, although maybe with slightly less exaggerated bass (I mean that in a good way). Bass is still there even in flat tone mode. Surround sound is a bit more effective on the Turtle Beach set, and I think that comes down to the selectable surround angles. Everything sounds as it should.

Have yet to try the chat with it, but I'm hoping it's better than the Trittons. I couldn't get decent chat volume to save my life with those. I'll have to see how the dynamic chat system works.
post #295 of 468 Old 10-07-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am thinking of getting the Mixamp Pro for use with my PS3/PS4

I already have a killer headphone setup Beyer T1+Senn 600>WooAudio WA2 and want to add a ModMic to them for gaming.

Is there a way to connect the Mixamp to the WA2 ,which only has RCA inputs.

I hope somebody can provide a solution as I dont really want to plunk down for a gaming headset that will sound crappy in comparison to what I already own.

Will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4

Sony HW40ES,100" DragonFly Screen
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum,GoldenEar T2
Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD
NAD T758,GoldenEar Super Center XL,GoldenEar SuperSats
Woo Audio WA2,BeyerDynamic T1,Sennheiser 600
PS3,PS4-monsterzero2012
post #296 of 468 Old 10-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a Bluetooth headset for PS3 that doesn't work with ps4. What I like is that it had a base/cradle that it plugs into. The result is that when on the mic works and incoming chat routes through the stereo. This is preferable for me, I don't want anything on my head or in my ear. Anything like that available for ps4 yet?
post #297 of 468 Old 10-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Besides the buzzing noise when using/charging the ds4. Anyone else notice the turtle beach p11's volume is real low?
post #298 of 468 Old 10-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up snagging the Turtle Beach PX4's. Night and day difference in terms of comfort. Sound quality seems about the same, although maybe with slightly less exaggerated bass (I mean that in a good way). Bass is still there even in flat tone mode. Surround sound is a bit more effective on the Turtle Beach set, and I think that comes down to the selectable surround angles. Everything sounds as it should.

Have yet to try the chat with it, but I'm hoping it's better than the Trittons. I couldn't get decent chat volume to save my life with those. I'll have to see how the dynamic chat system works.

Been looking at the PX4 for awhile. How's the chat with it? Mic monitoring? I had an older pair of Tritton 720's and did not like them either, but that was for my PS3. Was getting ready to buy the PX4's, and now I see they have released an "all wireless" headset labeled the TB Stealth 500P. It's new enough now that I can't find many reviews on it.

LG 47" 120Hz 1080p TV
Denon AVR-591
Sony SSF-5000 Front L/R
Sony SSCN-3000 Center and Surround L/R
Logitech Harmony 1100 remote
Sony PS4 Gaming Console
post #299 of 468 Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Chat quality on the PX4 is great! Everyone sounds fine, but you can certainly tell which ones are still using the mic that was included in the box. The headset does a great job with adjusting the chat volume dynamically so the game never overpowers when others are talking. The mic monitoring is easily adjustable with a slider on the side of the headset. There is no delay between speaking and hearing yourself and the quality is great.

It has a bunch of other options for adjusting the surround angles (I personally think number 3 sounds the best), EQ settings (flat sounds the most natural to me) and a blast limiter for making sure you don't go deaf from loud explosions (turned it off, hehe). I can't comment on the Bluetooth connectivity as I haven't even tried it yet.

If there is one thing that surprised me about the PX4 is battery life. They weren't kidding when they stated 15 hours+. I got about 20-25 on my first charge. Maybe more.

If you don't mind plugging a cord into the controller from the headset for chat, then I'd highly recommend it. Obviously for playing single player games, no cord is needed.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #300 of 468 Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I have an older pair of Tritton AX Pros that I used with the PS3, they work fine with the PS4. I got them 2 or so years ago when I started playing the original Black Ops on the PS3 a lot with some friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page