post #301 of 305 Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM
VR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Chat quality on the PX4 is great! Everyone sounds fine, but you can certainly tell which ones are still using the mic that was included in the box. The headset does a great job with adjusting the chat volume dynamically so the game never overpowers when others are talking. The mic monitoring is easily adjustable with a slider on the side of the headset. There is no delay between speaking and hearing yourself and the quality is great.

It has a bunch of other options for adjusting the surround angles (I personally think number 3 sounds the best), EQ settings (flat sounds the most natural to me) and a blast limiter for making sure you don't go deaf from loud explosions (turned it off, hehe). I can't comment on the Bluetooth connectivity as I haven't even tried it yet.

If there is one thing that surprised me about the PX4 is battery life. They weren't kidding when they stated 15 hours+. I got about 20-25 on my first charge. Maybe more.

If you don't mind plugging a cord into the controller from the headset for chat, then I'd highly recommend it. Obviously for playing single player games, no cord is needed.
Thanks for your review!

I was wondering about a few things since I'm thinking about getting these..

What mic would you replace the oem with?
While on a call via bluetooth can you also hear the game?
Can the mic be muted while in chat & in game?
Can chat and game volume be separately controlled?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 305 Old 10-17-2014, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
Thanks for your review!

I was wondering about a few things since I'm thinking about getting these..

What mic would you replace the oem with?
While on a call via bluetooth can you also hear the game?
Can the mic be muted while in chat & in game?
Can chat and game volume be separately controlled?

Thanks!
I should've been more specific. When I was talking about the mic that was included in the box, I meant the PS4 mic that is included with the PS4, NOT the PX4. The mic included with the PX4 sounds great, and I don't think there would be a need to replace it at all unless you somehow manage to break it.

I haven't tried bluetooth whatsoever. I don't talk on the phone much, so that is a feature I can't comment on and will likely never use.

I would like to say that chat can be muted in both, however, if you pick up an older version of the headset, there is a good chance you'll simply get a cord to connect to the controller with no inline controls. I thought this was standard, but my friend picked up the same headset at Best Buy (got mine at GameStop) and it has inline controls on the cord that allows you to mute the microphone and adjust chat volume. Without that, the only way I've found to mute the mic is to simply unplug the cord from the controller. Chat volume can be set through the PS4. Since it's dynamic and chat gets louder when the game audio does, having that control on the cord is more of a convenience than anything.

On a side note, be sure wherever you buy has a decent return policy on headphones. I got lucky when I was able to return my Tritton's and get the PX4's. So word of caution: don't buy headsets (or anything) from GameStop.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #303 of 305 Old 10-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm still rocking my MixAmp 5.8 and PC360s. The sound mixing isn't really that great; I have to have the master volume at 2/3 and the MIC volume at almost 3/4 just to get a halfway decent mix. Since they don't flash firmware to the MixAmp 5.8 - I'm resigned to it being what it is.

Plus that damned thing chews through AAA's like nothing. I have to have a steady supply of Eneloops around b/c I have to switch them out after every 3-4 hour session.

If I wasn't spoiled by the sound I'm getting from my PC360s, I'd go buy a Astro Wireless setup. However, I'm told my PC360s are the cream of the crop - so I'm sure I'd be salty after spending the money and hearing the difference.
post #304 of 305 Old 10-19-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is the audio quality decent from the controller headset jack? Is that where the mic is supported, as well?

I'm curious, since it is bluetooth-based, does it use a "special" PS4 audio standard, or is it just the utterly craptastic bluetooth telephony standard that is used in all cellphone headsets?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #305 of 305 Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still on the hunt for an option for bt mic without having headset on the head or in the ear. Want incoming chat to go through theater. This great on PS3 but that headset isn't supported 😞 ideas?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page