PS4 Gaming Headset thread! - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #391 of 420 Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Anyone have a specific sound preset they like to use with the Golds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 420 Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I posted this link earlier to the new gaming headset from Monoprice and there are a couple five star reviews now.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...05_q4_frideals

I had the wired 7.1 wireless headset from Monoprice but replaced it with the wireless Skullcandy PLYR 1 headset. I can honestly say that the Monoprice was the better sounding and more comfortable headset, but it's hard to beat the convenience of wireless. If it wasn't for my PLYR1's I would be all over these.
Hmm, very good option there. Maybe if they sell well they can get another color option.
I think with some clever wiring to and from an AVR it could be used with multiple consoles using an AVR as the optical switcher. For chat it has to have the cable into the DS4 right?

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #393 of 420 Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I am very interested in purchasing my first pair of headphones for my PS4. But i read a lot of forums and websites stating the recent firmware update on the playstation 4 made the audio levels on headsets that are not sony branded ones, to be very low. And i also heard mics dont work. So im a little confused and not sure if i should go with the Sony gold headset. I see a lot of folks here own a Ps4, and would love to hear all your opinions on compatible PS4 headsets. I need the mic functionality. I was looking into Razer, turtle beach and steel series, maybe few other brands but not quite sure if it will work properly with ps4 since there are compatibility issues.

Would love to hear your recommendation on what works with the ps4. My budget is about $60 to $80 for the headphone with mic support.

thanks in advance. Appreciate any replies or help.

Arwin
post #394 of 420 Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quick, somewhat off topic question regarding headest:

Ok, so, this is AVSforum. Most of us here, are pretty serious about our audio. Many of us have somewhat expensive 7.1 audio setups, or maybe even beyond that. Multiple subwoofers, etc, etc.

Now, I totally understand that when the wife and kids are sleeping, it might not be a good idea to "bump that bass", but other than that, I think it makes sense to take adavantage of all the $$$ we have thrown into our audio systems, while gaming. Yet it seems many people are perfectly happy wearing these various headsets that cover both ears, and basically not using their actual audio equipment.

For me, I'd rather just use the type of mono headset, that is basically for chat only, while still hearing all the audio swirling all around me via my 7.2 audio setup. You know, like the headset that used to come with the Xbox 360. Just covering one ear, with a little mic, and all of that basically only being for chat purposes.

Am I off on my own little island with this one ?
post #395 of 420 Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Ok, so, this is AVSforum. Most of us here, are pretty serious about our audio. Many of us have somewhat expensive 7.1 audio setups, or maybe even beyond that. Multiple subwoofers, etc, etc.

Now, I totally understand that when the wife and kids are sleeping, it might not be a good idea to "bump that bass", but other than that, I think it makes sense to take adavantage of all the $$$ we have thrown into our audio systems, while gaming. Yet it seems many people are perfectly happy wearing these various headsets that cover both ears, and basically not using their actual audio equipment.

For me, I'd rather just use the type of mono headset, that is basically for chat only, while still hearing all the audio swirling all around me via my 7.2 audio setup. You know, like the headset that used to come with the Xbox 360. Just covering one ear, with a little mic, and all of that basically only being for chat purposes.

I do that whenever the wife/kid aren't around. No one is going to argue that it's not a better experience to get true 7.1 or 9.2 than Dolby headset or DTS through two 50mm drivers.

However as you also noted most of us use headsets to not disturb others in the house (or apartment if that's your domicile) into the wee hours of the night when our friends in other parts of the country (or other countries) are online.

When I was single I just cranked it if I was up, but nowadays I can usually only game when the kid is asleep. If I don't want to wake the kid or piss off the wife, a headset with integrated chat/game sound functionality is the only viable option.

Based on most of the guys I know in this thread, I'm not on my own little island in that regard!
steve1022 likes this.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Last edited by slyderulz; 12-09-2014 at 01:52 PM.
post #396 of 420 Old 12-09-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:

If you're gaming alone and not on a mic, then use the HT every chance you get, because headphones can't come close to the same experience.

However, if you're on a mic, then everyone else will hear your sound system (and it won't sound good), which is extremely annoying, because it drowns out everyone else's audio. Most won't say anything tho, they'll just mute you.

So it's a consideration thing to your buddies in your party.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #397 of 420 Old 12-09-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
If you're gaming alone and not on a mic, then use the HT every chance you get, because headphones can't come close to the same experience.

However, if you're on a mic, then everyone else will hear your sound system (and it won't sound good), which is extremely annoying, because it drowns out everyone else's audio. Most won't say anything tho, they'll just mute you.

Yeah, if I'm using the headset with the mic, then I'll lower the volume a bit, but doesn't it have some canceling type thing, where it tries to cancel out the game audio from coming thru the mic ? At least with the Xbox 360, it seemed to work ok. I think it had some kind of game audio cancelling thing, that would try to filter out most of the game audio. Obviously, if you're cranking it at THX levels, that's not going to work. You have to turn your volume down quite a bit as well.
post #398 of 420 Old 12-10-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Whatever Sony did to "enhance chat audio" after the last major firmware update (the one that enabled Shareplay), they made it so it picks up EVERYTHING. I don't think the PS4 has ever had any noise cancellation built in for chat. I could be wrong about that. I know certain headsets have a noise canceling mic.

Honestly, I prefer my 7.1 HT setup to surround heaphones. I typically only use my headphones between 3am-6am, but here lately I've just been turning the volume down on my receiver.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #399 of 420 Old 12-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm with others here. I can only really game when my kids are off to bed. That makes my A50s the only viable option.

I do enjoy them however.
slyderulz likes this.
post #400 of 420 Old 12-10-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the best compromise (from a tech standpoint) would be to use the 7.1 system and a throatmic for chat. No earbud required if chat can come through speakers.
Dual transponder throat microphones work really well. For sitting on the couch a single transponder is probably perfectly fine.
Spanglo likes this.

post #401 of 420 Old 12-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
I think the best compromise (from a tech standpoint) would be to use the 7.1 system and a throatmic for chat. No earbud required if chat can come through speakers.
Dual transponder throat microphones work really well. For sitting on the couch a single transponder is probably perfectly fine.
Where can I find one of these?
post #402 of 420 Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking View Post
Where can I find one of these?
http://www.ixradio.com/shop/throat-mic/?gclid=CPq4__6avsICFczm7AodeR0AfQ

Shipping from South Korea takes a while. Used these while playing paintball. I could always hear my teammate, but we only talked when mostly still.
Forums have mixed reviews on it working on a motorcycle.

When you strap it on, it feels pretty awesome.

If you get one, let me know what cable you find that works with the DS4.

post #403 of 420 Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
http://www.ixradio.com/shop/throat-mic/?gclid=CPq4__6avsICFczm7AodeR0AfQ

Shipping from South Korea takes a while. Used these while playing paintball. I could always hear my teammate, but we only talked when mostly still.
Forums have mixed reviews on it working on a motorcycle.

When you strap it on, it feels pretty awesome.

If you get one, let me know what cable you find that works with the DS4.
Thanks! Wouldn't this one plug right in?
http://www.ixradio.com/shop/transdermal-throat-microphone-xvtm26m35.html

I haven't messed with ps4 settings, but can you set it use mic only and send incoming chat through speakers?
post #404 of 420 Old 12-11-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking View Post
Thanks! Wouldn't this one plug right in?
http://www.ixradio.com/shop/transder...xvtm26m35.html

I haven't messed with ps4 settings, but can you set it use mic only and send incoming chat through speakers?
My hunch is yes.

Hmm, isn't that a setting per game? In Battlefield 4 users can choose to hear chat through speakers or headset or both. Maybe someone can chime in.
The 3-pole cable jack on that model seems like it would work. I will plug my turtle beach x12 pink mic jack into the DS4 tonight and see what happens, I've never done it.
I always thought a mic was mono so I don't understand why there are 3 poles on it.

I have this model: http://www.ixradio.com/shop/throat-mic/XNM915B because I have a skinny neck and though the velcro would fit better. I can't use them for gaming though until I buy the correct cable.

post #405 of 420 Old 12-11-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
My hunch is yes.

Hmm, isn't that a setting per game? In Battlefield 4 users can choose to hear chat through speakers or headset or both. Maybe someone can chime in.
The 3-pole cable jack on that model seems like it would work. I will plug my turtle beach x12 pink mic jack into the DS4 tonight and see what happens, I've never done it.
I always thought a mic was mono so I don't understand why there are 3 poles on it.

I have this model: http://www.ixradio.com/shop/throat-mic/XNM915B because I have a skinny neck and though the velcro would fit better. I can't use them for gaming though until I buy the correct cable.
I'll have to check out settings tonight. With PS3, the Bluetooth headset I have has a charging base that makes the headset a mic only so all chat came through speakers and I had the headset next to my chair. Of course the headset doesn't work with ps4 :/

But I never had to change any settings in the PS3 for any different games.
post #406 of 420 Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

The problem that I have is that I hate being a person whose in-game audio is picked up by my mic and then re-fed to all of the people in the game. It annoys me when other people do it, so if I'm playing with people and have a mic on I usually have it turned down low enough. A headset actually gets me more dynamic volume will also not disrupting the experience for everyone else.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #407 of 420 Old 12-17-2014, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys

I'm new here. So new that I used my actual name instead of a cooler username (my PSN is capt_bumsniff)

ANYWAY

Can you help me? I am using my Dre Beats Studio Headphones for a headset and the microphone lead that comes with it. They seem to do the trick, sound quality is good however my only gripe is that I can't hear myself in my cans, which as you can imagine is quite disorientating when I'm screaming "DIE DIE DIE F*CKING DIE!"

Now is it the cable I'm using (it is a detachable cable), the actual headset (no way of using it for a 2 way feed), or the Playstation settings?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

THANKIES!
post #408 of 420 Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sewell View Post
Hi guys

I'm new here. So new that I used my actual name instead of a cooler username (my PSN is capt_bumsniff)

ANYWAY

Can you help me? I am using my Dre Beats Studio Headphones for a headset and the microphone lead that comes with it. They seem to do the trick, sound quality is good however my only gripe is that I can't hear myself in my cans, which as you can imagine is quite disorientating when I'm screaming "DIE DIE DIE F*CKING DIE!"

Now is it the cable I'm using (it is a detachable cable), the actual headset (no way of using it for a 2 way feed), or the Playstation settings?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

THANKIES!
All of those "music" headphones do not have "sidetone". Many of the gaming headsets have sidetone. Sidetone was most common in aircraft pilots headphones so they could hear themselves (it is disorienting not to). What you have is the equivalent of holding your fingers in your ears and saying "this is what it's like with no sidetone," then remove your fingers and say "this is what it's like with sidetone."

Your option is to get used to it, or to get a headset with sidetone.

The Playstation 4 does not have a built-in function of returning your mic sound back into speakers/headset. I wish it did.

post #409 of 420 Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
All of those "music" headphones do not have "sidetone". Many of the gaming headsets have sidetone. Sidetone was most common in aircraft pilots headphones so they could hear themselves (it is disorienting not to). What you have is the equivalent of holding your fingers in your ears and saying "this is what it's like with no sidetone," then remove your fingers and say "this is what it's like with sidetone."

Your option is to get used to it, or to get a headset with sidetone.

The Playstation 4 does not have a built-in function of returning your mic sound back into speakers/headset. I wish it did.
Good god I have searched half way around the internet for that answer.

Thank you.

Next question. I have £120 to burn. What headset would combine a lovely deep rich sound, the ability to have copious amounts of sidetone and make me look like an absolute gangster. (You can ignore the gangster bit)
post #410 of 420 Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Does anyone have any issues with the Golds intermittently disconnecting and then immediately reconnecting? I've had the issue, read online that it could be bluetooth interference so I turned bluetooth off of my phone and didn't have it again last night. I don't really want to have to keep doing this? I have plugged the headset into the PS4 and installed a new sound profile so I presume any driver/updates were installed to the headset then.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #411 of 420 Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Does anyone have any issues with the Golds intermittently disconnecting and then immediately reconnecting? I've had the issue, read online that it could be bluetooth interference so I turned bluetooth off of my phone and didn't have it again last night. I don't really want to have to keep doing this? I have plugged the headset into the PS4 and installed a new sound profile so I presume any driver/updates were installed to the headset then.
I have never had that problem but I don't ever have my phone's bluetooth on.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #412 of 420 Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Are people pretty happy with the Golds? Would be using primarily in Destiny and BF4.
post #413 of 420 Old 12-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post
Are people pretty happy with the Golds? Would be using primarily in Destiny and BF4.

I'm happy with them. They do everything I need at a reasonable price. All they require is to stick the USB dongle in the either the PS4 or PS3 to work and are comfortable to wear. No complaints.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #414 of 420 Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Re: Sidetone

I don't like the static/hissing noise in the background that is there on headsets that have this feature. I normally just do a normal voice test by sending myself a message over PSN and that gives me a good idea of how loud or soft I sound when using my normal speaking voice in party chat.
post #415 of 420 Old 12-23-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

So as I was doing some shopping for Christmas presents, I came across the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS (NOT the DSS2) for $15 on Amazon. It's used and comes with no cables but at that price, I don't really mind. As much as I do enjoy the PX4's that I currently own and their chat quality, I'm not finding them very comfortable anymore. Especially since I've been wearing my Sony 7506's for some audio editing recently. So I figured I'd give the DSS a shot with the Sony 7506's.

I'll probably go back and read through some reviews of the DSS. I'm really interested to see how the spatial seperation compares to the PX4's, although I've read they both use Dolby Headphone processing. I'd think it'd likely sound better going the Sony 7506's, as those sound better than the PX4's and aren't as anemic on the low end. I'll be sure to report back.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #416 of 420 Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I came across the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS (NOT the DSS2) for $15 on Amazon. It's used and comes with no cables but at that price, I don't really mind. As much as I do enjoy the PX4's that I currently own and their chat quality, I'm not finding them very comfortable anymore. Especially since I've been wearing my Sony 7506's for some audio editing recently. So I figured I'd give the DSS a shot with the Sony 7506's.
What will you do for chat?
Better cans are better cans. The Sony pair should certainly sound better, regardless of whether you use PLIIX or not.
I don't know how you can use the DSS unless you have a desk setup because it's the only means of volume control. I wouldn't like it 9 feet away.

post #417 of 420 Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll just have chat output to the headphones and use the included ps4 earbud mic clipped to my shirt collar. Also, I sit 5-6 feet away from my 50-inch when play games, so adjusting volume isn't a deal breaker for me.

For $15 I'm not really out too much if I don't like it and I still have my PX4's that I can use when I want to.
post #418 of 420 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I'll just have chat output to the headphones and use the included ps4 earbud mic clipped to my shirt collar. Also, I sit 5-6 feet away from my 50-inch when play games, so adjusting volume isn't a deal breaker for me.

For $15 I'm not really out too much if I don't like it and I still have my PX4's that I can use when I want to.

You sound like a CAG forum user haha.
If you really like that setup you could sell the px4?

-Crav

post #419 of 420 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes but I don't know where I'd sell them. I don't really like going on Craigslist but have had success in the past selling some stuff (my projector and old htib). eBay seems to be more of a hassle and I got shafted last time I sold something on there (guy claims item was never delivered, even though I have proof with delivery confirmation/signature). PayPal sided with him, so I essentially gave away a $40 item for free. Never again.
post #420 of 420 Old Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

So after testing out the DSS with the Sony 7506's, I'm really impressed with this little box. Audio quality is a lot better than the PX4's, so much so that I tried to go back and listen to the PX4's and was surprised at how tinny they sounded. I also like that the DSS has a bass boost dial instead of a simple on/off button.

The surround sound seems to be more convincing than the PX4's and doesn't suffer from the virtual surround channels overpowering everything else (a known issue with many Turtle Beach headsets). Playing Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4, things sounded really balanced and natural. I also liked the way it sounds for movies and shows.

I still need to test out the chat functionality as PSN was down earlier last night. So long as it's usable and the chat volume adequate, I'll likely be selling my PX4's very soon.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page