PS4 Gaming Headset thread! - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #451 of 466 Old 03-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Been using the Golds for over a month now. Very comfy and I get prob 8+ hours out of battery. Simulated surround does ok, but just ok. It's still hard to pinpoint footsteps in games like COD.

I've also used them for watching amazon prime content and they sound decent...better in stereo mode with the simulated surround off IMO.

Mic quality is good, I just wish I could hear how loud I'm talking. I bought these for hotel use while out of town for 2-3 months.

Would buy again.
I haven't messed with it because I rarely use the mic but I know there is a sidetone setting to make your voice less or more audible. I did read before that someone thought even the loudest setting wasn't enough so that may be your case too. If it is please disregard.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 466 Old 03-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post
Quote:
Been using the Golds for over a month now. Very comfy and I get prob 8+ hours out of battery. Simulated surround does ok, but just ok. It's still hard to pinpoint footsteps in games like COD.

I've also used them for watching amazon prime content and they sound decent...better in stereo mode with the simulated surround off IMO.

Mic quality is good, I just wish I could hear how loud I'm talking. I bought these for hotel use while out of town for 2-3 months.

Would buy again.
I haven't messed with it because I rarely use the mic but I know there is a sidetone setting to make your voice less or more audible. I did read before that someone thought even the loudest setting wasn't enough so that may be your case too. If it is please disregard.

Ahhh, thank you. I checked the Gold's support website and found this:

Q: What is the sidetone feature?
A: The sidetone feature allows you to hear your own voice being played back in the headset. The volume of the sidetone can be controlled directly from the headset. By holding down the Mute button for at least 2 seconds you can cycle through the sidetone modes:

One short beep: Sidetone low
Two short beeps: Sidetone high
One long beep: Sidetone off

I'll check it out tonight. Thanks again!
steve1022 likes this.
post #453 of 466 Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Ahhh, thank you. I checked the Gold's support website and found this:

Q: What is the sidetone feature?
A: The sidetone feature allows you to hear your own voice being played back in the headset. The volume of the sidetone can be controlled directly from the headset. By holding down the Mute button for at least 2 seconds you can cycle through the sidetone modes:

One short beep: Sidetone low
Two short beeps: Sidetone high
One long beep: Sidetone off

I'll check it out tonight. Thanks again!
Let me know how it goes for you, on the loudest sidetone setting I could not hear myself.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #454 of 466 Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I tried using sidetone last night while playing COD:AW but still couldn't hear myself. Loudest setting or softest...I heard nothing either way.

IIRC, when I first bought the Golds, increasing the mic sensitivity helped with hearing sidetone, but then everyone in your chat party is gonna hate you.

I'll try it again tonight.
post #455 of 466 Old 03-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!
I have a question about the Playstation Gold Headset.

Is it possible to use them with my Yamaha RXV-377 to output the sound when i watch regular cable TV or a bluray movie? I know its not the optimal solution soundwise, but it is just for when my wife goes to sleep early and i don't want to wake her up with the whole system working.

If not, any suggestion of a headset i could use to play and watch TV with?

Only thing is it has to be wireless...i don't really want wires all around the living room again...

Thank you!
post #456 of 466 Old 04-03-2015, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
tried out the tb elite 800s.

there are so many eq settings...but they are so annoying to get to lol also..the footsteps focus and superhuman hearing turn the sound quality to ****. kind of to the point of diminishing returns for sound whoring.

these definitely have less bass than my plyr1s but at least there's more there than previous TB sets I've tried. actual positional accuracy seemed easier to make out. but i think that is also partially due to less bass? dts x 7.1 just sounds like an advertising gimmick to me so far. i don't think you will be able to get much better than what most gaming headsets currently have unless someone goes out of their way to make a headset with open cans that can open up the soundstage more.

noise cancellation works pretty well in blocking out ambient noise. actually blocks out the freeway sounds from near my condo. there is a slight but audible (when no audio is playing) hiss. past TB headsets i've tried had this too due to the mic monitoring. turning that down would also decrease the hiss...but that doesn't seem possible here so i dunno what the hiss is coming from? tried turning mic monitor to the lowest setting and noise cancellation off but it was still there. its NOT as bad as some of the Amazon reviews seem to make it sound though. the mic is pretty poor quality though...big difference in clarity between my plyr1 boom mic and the boomless 800s. if anyone used any of the older tb headsets on the xbox 360 it is similar to the difference between using the wireless puck and wired cable. 800 sounds like you are underwater

as a side note...i've been wanting to pick up a pair of Astro A50s 2014/Gen 2s to try but I'm been reading about a buzzing/static issue in the right ear cup? makes me hesitant to even want to try it. seems like the astro support people are calling this normal:

http://forums.astrogaming.com/index....=buzz&o=date&c[node]=32

guess i'll stick with the plyr1s for now. wonder if skullcandy will make any new headsets anytime soon or if their gaming line bombed...

Last edited by henhowc; 04-03-2015 at 03:23 AM.
post #457 of 466 Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 PM

ended up picking up a pair of a50 2014s. right off the the bat i noticed the mic issue where every time the mic picks up noise you hear a loud buzz in the right ear cup. sounds like its a noisegate issue according to the complaints on the astro support forums.

updated to the latest firmware and it seemed to fix that problem or at least roll-back as the stock 2012 a50 firmware didn't have that issue until you updated the firmware on the mixamp. however, there's also also a constant softer buzz/hum in the background. pretty much a deal breaker for me. much more annoying than the hiss that other headsets like the elite 800 have. much harsher to the ear than your typical white noise hiss.
post #458 of 466 Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 PM

Ended it returning the a50s because of the buzzing. Was almost tempted to keep because of the $199 price I got them new for. But that buzz was way too irritating. Think I'm going to cool it with the headsets for the time being. So far every headset I've tried have been somewhat disappointing.
post #459 of 466 Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
Ended it returning the a50s because of the buzzing. Was almost tempted to keep because of the $199 price I got them new for. But that buzz was way too irritating. Think I'm going to cool it with the headsets for the time being. So far every headset I've tried have been somewhat disappointing.

I'm glad I haven't experienced any of the buzzing on my A50s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #460 of 466 Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 PM

Had the a50s, elite 800s, and plyr1s. I think these headsets have already been widely discussed in terms of audio.

If you're curious...I did a quick mic test. Surprisingly (not really considering astro track records with mic quality, and non-boom tb) the plyr1 sounded the best and the mono earbud was the worst:

post #461 of 466 Old 05-14-2015, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello I'm interesting on buying a headset for my Ps4 but I'm between the turtle beach Px4 and Hyperx Cloud II I will like to know which one is better?
post #462 of 466 Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella17 View Post
Hello I'm interesting on buying a headset for my Ps4 but I'm between the turtle beach Px4 and Hyperx Cloud II I will like to know which one is better?

Are those then only options you are interested in?

post #463 of 466 Old 05-17-2015, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Are those then only options you are interested in?
Well I can see other option but this two are within my budget, that's why I ask but them.
post #464 of 466 Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella17 View Post
Well I can see other option but this two are within my budget, that's why I ask but them.

For even cheaper, my coworker got these and has been completely pleased with them, especially for the price point:

TRITTON Kama Stereo Headset for PlayStation 4, PS Vita, and Mobile Devices by TRITTON http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HKCKA0G/..._N2iwvb05XMRF6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HKCKA0G/..._N2iwvb05XMRF6

They haven't been out long so the review count is low. I think I might get a pair, especially since I could wear them at work to take phone calls on my cell and let me keep typing.
They are cheap enough that they are easily replaceable and on game chat I can always hear my coworker perfectly.

For reference, these require just the single wire to the controller. The other headsets have 2-3 wires.

post #465 of 466 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I own Astro's Mixamp 5.8 from 2011. The base Mixamp TX has 2 USB (not micro) ports so will that work with the PS4?
All i need is a male to male USB cable, right? I want to purchase Audio Technica AD700x for use with BF4.
I heard its a match made in heaven with the mixamp.

Also what are the odds of Astro or Turtle Beach incorporating Dolby Atmos or DTSX tech with their new headphones
later this year?
post #466 of 466 Old Today, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I own the Astro A50's (2nd gen, for PS4) and they've been solid. Only issue is changing PS4 audio settings so game audio/mic routes through the headset properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area