PS4 Gaming Headset thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 271 Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Picked up a pair of these a short while ago...

Gonna decide between these or the Pulse Elites. My concern with the Elites is the battery life and the durability. Looking through the Gold's Quick Start Guide shows they do have a Bass Boost button so hopefully they sound similar to the Elites.

All I have to say is thank goodness for Best Buy's generous return policy.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 271 Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Okay I have another complaint. Nothing game breaking just highly annoying. Along with a question or 2. First off. For others that do not know. When you want a preset. The headset must be physically hooked up to the usb port on the PS4. That way the profile will upload to the headset. You have to do this every time you want to change the preset for another. Good grief this is annoying. People thought just by adding the preset you are good to go.

No. Like I said. You have to hit X to upload it to the headset plugged in. Sony has to fix this or do something to make it easier with out having to plug it in. Also Sony does not state if the app has to be open or not while playing. Once you upload the preset to the headset. Is it stored in there until you change it again or what? I don't know.

P.S. I would not even consider keeping or buying the pulse elites. They are flawed with a design issue. They all break over short amount of time. Google about the hinges.
post #93 of 271 Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
post #94 of 271 Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
was hoping maybe somebody could help me, but how does the gold wireless compare to say beats by dre
post #95 of 271 Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

was hoping maybe somebody could help me, but how does the gold wireless compare to say beats by dre

What I've heard of Beats is that their overpriced, paying for the name type stuff like Bose or Monster cables.
post #96 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

Okay I have another complaint. Nothing game breaking just highly annoying. Along with a question or 2. First off. For others that do not know. When you want a preset. The headset must be physically hooked up to the usb port on the PS4. That way the profile will upload to the headset. You have to do this every time you want to change the preset for another. Good grief this is annoying. People thought just by adding the preset you are good to go.

No. Like I said. You have to hit X to upload it to the headset plugged in. Sony has to fix this or do something to make it easier with out having to plug it in. Also Sony does not state if the app has to be open or not while playing. Once you upload the preset to the headset. Is it stored in there until you change it again or what? I don't know.

P.S. I would not even consider keeping or buying the pulse elites. They are flawed with a design issue. They all break over short amount of time. Google about the hinges.

Yes, it seems that the headset can only store one preset sound mode at a time. So for instance, if you have the shooter preset installed and now you want to listen to music, one would have to connect the headset via USB to the PS4, fire up the companion app, select the desired music sound mode within the app, download it to the headphone and then rinse and repeat whenever you decide you want to change sound modes.

Here's my quick take on them:

Pros
-Wireless for $100
-Good sound. Not great, but not bad especially on setting two. I'm no audio expert but everything sounded flat on setting one. On setting two, bass really kicked and sound was generally more immersive. Elites which are only $20 more sound clearer, more directional and obviously has more impactful bass.
-Very good battery life
-Headband wasn't uncomfortable

Cons
-Continuously plugging headset to change, upload and update sound modes
-Directional sound is not terrible but far from being pinpoint accurate IMHO.
-Was told by several friends while chatting that I sounded like "I was speaking on a phone Bluetooth headset" or "in a bathroom" meaning I sounded like I was speaking while on a speakerphone.
-On my first use, it seemed as if my ears were getting warm or hot. Not a very comfortable feeling. Second use went much better. No noticeable warm earcups.
- Mic picks up every ambient sound. I try to get online when everyone at home is either out, busy or asleep since I play in my family room but very few times I will play when someone's lingering around in the family room too. Last night there was chaos between the wife and kids and I'm pretty certain the guys I play with heard every #%itch and complaint my wife was making when she was trying to get the kids in bed. Not really being familiar with the headset, I had no time to find and turn on the mute function.

Not really too impressed with the Golds. They may be going back. Not sure yet. Really want to keep the Elites but $120 for a few months of use due to the design flaw crack issue is not acceptable.

post #97 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

This is very helpful. No other reviewer has mentioned the fact that only one preset can be uploaded to the Golds.

It is my understanding (I don't own the Elites--I own the original Pulses'), that you can have up to 6 presets on the elites AND you can change them "on the go" while pressing a button on the actual headset. And not only that, but there is a voice prompt that tells you which preset you are currently using............IF this is the case, the Golds stock just went down in my market and the Elite stock went up.

Also, most sites state the speaker/drivers are "exactly" the same in the Golds v Elites, but there seems to be a consensus that the Elites sound better.../

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #98 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

Picked up a pair of these a short while ago...

Gonna decide between these or the Pulse Elites. My concern with the Elites is the battery life and the durability. Looking through the Gold's Quick Start Guide shows they do have a Bass Boost button so hopefully they sound similar to the Elites.

All I have to say is thank goodness for Best Buy's generous return policy.

Why 2 Lo?

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
post #99 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, I wiped my Elite presets last night via app and put the three or four I actually cared about on. Only complaint I have is the non obvious plug this in via cable to load them. Someone mentioned it on the forum a few days ago and even knowing that I looked but absolutely could not find a mention of it. Their directions don't mention it and aside from a on screen cable there is no mention. The on screen thing almost to me looked like, hey its now connected do your thing. Not a big deal but if you don't know the expectations it could be frustrating.

I'd say if the Elites and Golds are so similar in cost get the Elites. So far I haven't had any cracks or broken parts on mine but their only 5 or 6 months old. The way Lo was talking about the Golds with all the feature limitations I know I'd pass on those anyway. I don't have to have top notch but I don't want budget either.
post #100 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Trying to understand why on earth the Elites can hold 6 presets but the Golds only one. Guess the elites have "internal memory"?!? And if that's the case would you guys agree with me that the Golds WILL NOT be able to "hold" more than one preset at a time regardless of future firmware updates.

Am I correct?

Oh and for what is worth, IMO the Elites are one of, if not the, best looking Gaming headsets. They look like professional sound studio cans...

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
post #101 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Yup, I wiped my Elite presets last night via app and put the three or four I actually cared about on. Only complaint I have is the non obvious plug this in via cable to load them. Someone mentioned it on the forum a few days ago and even knowing that I looked but absolutely could not find a mention of it. Their directions don't mention it and aside from a on screen cable there is no mention. The on screen thing almost to me looked like, hey its now connected do your thing. Not a big deal but if you don't know the expectations it could be frustrating.

I'd say if the Elites and Golds are so similar in cost get the Elites. So far I haven't had any cracks or broken parts on mine but their only 5 or 6 months old. The way Lo was talking about the Golds with all the feature limitations I know I'd pass on those anyway. I don't have to have top notch but I don't want budget either.

Which preset do you use when we play BF4?

Do the presets really make a difference or are they gimmicks?

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
post #102 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Lol I have no idea. I'm not an audiophile by any means. Lo convinced me to try the VSS again which I did for a while but I'm not sure what difference it made. Prior to yesterday when I switched VSS on the bass just dropped, I'm talking in a bad way wink.gif After applying the new profiles it didn't seem as harsh a difference. I need to experiment more but with VSS off I've always thought mine sounded great. Nice deep bass and not much screechy highs. The old VSS was too screechy for me. Apparently they modeled the new settings for the new hardware.
post #103 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

Why 2 Lo?

One for me: one for my little guy. Two PS4's in the house. I like to spoil him. Good kid and good student.
DarrellG likes this.

post #104 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lol I have no idea. I'm not an audiophile by any means. Lo convinced me to try the VSS again which I did for a while but I'm not sure what difference it made. Prior to yesterday when I switched VSS on the bass just dropped, I'm talking in a bad way wink.gif After applying the new profiles it didn't seem as harsh a difference. I need to experiment more but with VSS off I've always thought mine sounded great. Nice deep bass and not much screechy highs. The old VSS was too screechy for me. Apparently they modeled the new settings for the new hardware.

Trying out the Elites the other night while we were on NFS, I had the VSS on also with racing mode on and it sounded crazy awesome. I could actually feel the roar of the engines. Sounded amazing. Extremely realistic. Not sure why your pair with VSS turned on sounds like it needs more punch.

Golds are going back for sure. Gonna play around with the Elites for another week. Going to try them out with hopefully SA next week (fingers crossed). It's too bad they have that cracking defect. Decisions.....

post #105 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Similar battery life on the elites and the Gold? If so, looks like the elites win easily with the close price differential. Golds should drop to $80 for consideration.
post #106 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Similar battery life on the elites and the Gold? If so, looks like the elites win easily with the close price differential. Golds should drop to $80 for consideration.

Elites get 4 to 5 hrs. Golds 8 to 10 hrs. Significant difference.

post #107 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

What I've heard of Beats is that their overpriced, paying for the name type stuff like Bose or Monster cables.

Yes the several Beats and Bose that I've listened to were definitely not worth the price. You could easily do better for the money. But it's one of those things where, if you've never heard anything better than Beats, then they're going to sound great no matter what anyone says.

post #108 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

One for me: one for my little guy. Two PS4's in the house. I like to spoil him. Good kid and good student.

good man.
lodolfan likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
post #109 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thanks for posting your impressions Lo! I'm definitely going to hold out with the mixamp/PC360 combo until a viable next-gen open headset option comes around...if ever rolleyes.gif

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #110 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

good man.

Thanks Rican! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Thanks for posting your impressions Lo! I'm definitely going to hold out with the mixamp/PC360 combo until a viable next-gen open headset option comes around...if ever rolleyes.gif

Thanks Jeep! smile.gif

I think both the Gold and Elites headsets are going to end up going back. I guess I'll stick with my wired Tritton 720s in the meantime for the same reasons you posted.

post #111 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Liked: 16
Elites:

The VSS button, does the up chime turn it on and the down chime turn it off?

How about some preventative maintenance on the crack prone zone? I'm tempted to put a bead of epoxy over the spot now to strengthen the area. Make it look good too, maybe paint or black sharpie over it, but really who cares, when I game I listen to them, not look at them.
post #112 of 271 Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
For the people with the gold headsets, do you have to always have the dongle plugged in to the ps4? Does the noise canceling mike actually work? And is the power cord a standard micro USB? I have an extension cable that I could use when I need to charge it.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #113 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Well, I went ahead and got the PC360. Just going to deal with the wires for a while.
post #114 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

Well, I went ahead and got the PC360. Just going to deal with the wires for a while.

You won't be sorry man! I still haven't found anything that is nearly as comfortable, with a better soundstage and mic integration than the PC360s at anywhere near the price! They tend to hover around $160ish at the big river. Paired with your Astro 5.8 this is the best performing wireless solution you can get (and this is still several years after they discontinued the 5.8 mixamp).

Honestly the wires don't bother me so much, but I do only have the headphone wire connecting to the RX unit, which I clip to a belt loop while in use. It's a shame folks can't find a third party substitute for the Astro PS3 USB chat cable. That eliminates the need to run another wire from the RX to the controller for chat :/

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #115 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM

Is it safe to say that regardless of how advanced our technoligies become, a wired headset will always be of better sound quality than a wireless headset?

Another techie question: Do all SONY headsets (Pulse, Elites, Gold) transmit in the 2.4Ghz spectrum? I know they are not Bluetooth...hence the dongle

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
post #116 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You won't be sorry man! I still haven't found anything that is nearly as comfortable, with a better soundstage and mic integration than the PC360s at anywhere near the price! They tend to hover around $160ish at the big river. Paired with your Astro 5.8 this is the best performing wireless solution you can get (and this is still several years after they discontinued the 5.8 mixamp).

Honestly the wires don't bother me so much, but I do only have the headphone wire connecting to the RX unit, which I clip to a belt loop while in use. It's a shame folks can't find a third party substitute for the Astro PS3 USB chat cable. That eliminates the need to run another wire from the RX to the controller for chat :/
Yeah, I waited for the price to drop again. Does the Astro PS3/PC cable work? I read that people have issues with it.
post #117 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I waited for the price to drop again. Does the Astro PS3/PC cable work? I read that people have issues with it.

Can you post a link to it so I can check out the specs?

Thats what I do.

post #118 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you post a link to it so I can check out the specs?

I'm referring to Astro's PS3/PC cable for the old 5.8. I might be able to get one through them, but I'd like to know if it works. According to them, it won't work on the PS4.
post #119 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

If it's the same as the 'PS3 Chat cable' I ordered with mine (connects to USB on the console and the 'AUX' port on the TX) then I know it works...at least in my case, I've been using it on the PS4 since launch.

Thats what I do.

post #120 of 271 Old 02-14-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:

I'm referring to Astro's PS3/PC cable for the old 5.8. I might be able to get one through them, but I'd like to know if it works. According to them, it won't work on the PS4.

Let me know if you get one. I've contacted them a few times and they tell me they no longer make them. I've also been told it's proprietary so it could be why we have never seen a third party. But not sure if they are just saying that.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page