PS4 Gaming Headset thread! - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > PlayStation Area > PS4 Gaming Headset thread!

PlayStation Area

SAVholic's Avatar SAVholic
06:26 AM Liked: 17
post #1 of 411
01-07-2014 | Posts: 804
I haven't seen any thread about this topic. and besides youtube this is the only "info" link on headsets current compatible with PS4 http://www.ps4headsets.eu/
Hope this helps and anyone that has a headset or plans to get a headset is welcome to post!
Synapse3001's Avatar Synapse3001
09:20 PM Liked: 11
post #2 of 411
01-12-2014 | Posts: 10
My turtlebeach p11 headset works fine on the ps4. Just have to remove the black plastic clip that prevents slack on the 3 lines. U have to turn the vol up all the way under the settings. Dont try to charge your controller while wearing the headset (buzz noise)

Cool list. Thx
ElectronicTonic's Avatar ElectronicTonic
11:10 PM Liked: 66
post #3 of 411
01-12-2014 | Posts: 979
Great thread idea!

Here is the thread I started, about getting my Astros up and running on the PS4. I have the older model Astro TX 5.8 wireless mixamp, and Astro doesn't support it anymore. I'm lucky that Turtle Beach had a cheap solution, HERE.
slyderulz's Avatar slyderulz
08:21 AM Liked: 105
post #4 of 411
01-13-2014 | Posts: 1,034
Wired Astro Mixamp Pro and PC360s work just fine. I also used my wireless 5.8 mixamp but for some reason is seems easier to get the voice/game balance dialed in on the wired mixamp. May be due to a firmware update they released for the Mixamp Pro.
henhowc's Avatar henhowc
10:38 AM Liked: 20
post #5 of 411
01-13-2014 | Posts: 312
no issues with my skullcandy plyr1s
Conspiracy*'s Avatar Conspiracy*
11:43 AM Liked: 35
post #6 of 411
01-13-2014 | Posts: 2,219
Had the Turtle Beach PX4's. Three hours in, couldnt get them to work properly, Im sure partly due to me being a headset novice, but really it shouldnt be that hard.

Plus having to connect a cord from the headset to the controller (as I think is the case for ALL headsets at this time) to chat, is NOT wireless.

Currently using the free earbud that came with the system to chat. Much easier and cheaper.
Nayan's Avatar Nayan
01:11 PM Liked: 185
post #7 of 411
01-13-2014 | Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse3001 View Post

My turtlebeach p11 headset works fine on the ps4. Just have to remove the black plastic clip that prevents slack on the 3 lines. U have to turn the vol up all the way under the settings. Dont try to charge your controller while wearing the headset (buzz noise)

Cool list. Thx

Thanks for this, as I have a pair of these and I wasn't sure if they would work or not. Good to know they do.
GluedOnBeard's Avatar GluedOnBeard
04:42 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 411
01-13-2014 | Posts: 8

If you own a pair of V-Modas you might be pretty happy to find out they have added a mic attachment, search for V-MODA BoomPro Gaming, VoIP Headset Headphone with Mic. Got some pretty good reviews and says it is compatible with Vita and the PS4 on the website.

bucknuts07's Avatar bucknuts07
08:18 AM Liked: 36
post #9 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Wired Astro Mixamp Pro and PC360s work just fine. I also used my wireless 5.8 mixamp but for some reason is seems easier to get the voice/game balance dialed in on the wired mixamp. May be due to a firmware update they released for the Mixamp Pro.
I have the 5.8 mixamp, and sennheiser pc360 that i currently use with my 360. I'm curious , cause I have heard tons of misinformation, how do you have your unit set up ? Currently I have an optical cable running from 360 to main base. Also, I have power adapter plugged into base. Then I have a cord that connects my 5.8 to the base, and a chat cable that goes from 5.8 to my 360 controller. On Ps4, do I just need the turtle beach chat cable ?
DarrellG's Avatar DarrellG
08:29 AM Liked: 94
post #10 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 1,294
I just got my PS4 last night. I read that they are coming out with a System Update to allow the PS4 to work with the Sony PULSE headset which I have and love. Can we use the official Sony PS3 bluetooth headset with the PS4? I haven't tried to connect it yet.
09:04 AM Liked: 105
post #11 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

I have the 5.8 mixamp, and sennheiser pc360 that i currently use with my 360. I'm curious , cause I have heard tons of misinformation, how do you have your unit set up ? Currently I have an optical cable running from 360 to main base. Also, I have power adapter plugged into base. Then I have a cord that connects my 5.8 to the base, and a chat cable that goes from 5.8 to my 360 controller. On Ps4, do I just need the turtle beach chat cable ?

The PS4 setup is the same as the PS3. You won't need the microphone cable from the RX unit to the controller like the 360 (the RX is the unit that connects to the headphones, the TX is your base). What you will need on the TX base station is what's called an Astro PS3 chat cable (in addition to the power source and optical in of course). Its a USB to either a 3.5 or 2.5 connector that inserts in the back of the TX unit (I think the port is labeled AUX, not sure...I'm writing this from work) with the USB end connected to the PS4. This is how they enabled USB chat on the PS4 (they use the mic cable on the RX unit for chat on the 360). If you have this cable, you won't need the microphone cable from controller to the RX unit like on the 360.

So it should be as easy as picking up an Astro PS3 chat cable. Unfortunately they do not make them anymore. Not even available on Amazon. However Electronic Tonic (who posted earlier in this thread) seems to have found a way to make the turtle beach chat cable work with it. I'm not sure how the connection works...but send him a message and I'm sure he can fill you in!cool.gif

EDIT: He may be using the TB chat cable to go directly from the PS4 controller to the RX unit just like the 360, then telling the PS4 to route chat through the controller in the settings. Let us know what you find out!
09:27 AM Liked: 66
post #12 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 979
Quote:

EDIT: He may be using the TB chat cable to go directly from the PS4 controller to the RX unit just like the 360, then telling the PS4 to route chat through the controller in the settings. Let us know what you find out!
Yep, that's what I'm doing. It's all in the link I provided earlier in the thread. It's too bad that Astro stopped supporting the older TX. I guess it's bound to happen though.
09:40 AM Liked: 105
post #13 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

Yep, that's what I'm doing. It's all in the link I provided earlier in the thread. It's too bad that Astro stopped supporting the older TX. I guess it's bound to happen though.

I may have to try that to see if it helps with chat volume using the 5.8 with the PS4, I've been having a hard time getting the balance right on the PS4. The wired Mixamp seems to handle chat volume better (I'm assuming through the last firmware fix they put out to address a similar issue on PS3).
09:47 AM Liked: 66
post #14 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 979
Quote:

I may have to try that to see if it helps with chat volume using the 5.8 with the PS4, I've been having a hard time getting the balance right on the PS4. The wired Mixamp seems to handle chat volume better (I'm assuming through the last firmware fix they put out to address a similar issue on PS3).
I've also kind of struggled with this, so it might not help. I have the chat volume maxed out on the controller and it's still quiet, compared to the setting I use with the 360.
11:19 AM Liked: 17
post #15 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 804
Happy to report that the first gen tritton 720's work great(chat via USB like in the PS3). Still I have my eyes on the razer kraken pro's http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken-pro/ and users say the work perfectly with the ps4, my only complain is the lack of an inline volume/chat controller. Tritton also will release this at the end of the month http://www.centresoft.co.uk/products/view/productid/18545/tritton-kama-stereo-headset-for-ps4-vita It looks like the kunai's minus the cable hasle.
Van Wildonher's Avatar Van Wildonher
03:36 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 411
01-14-2014 | Posts: 186
I just bought the Turtle Beach Ear Force Tangos around Thanksgiving, a bit disappointed the chat doesn't work with the PS4 without the cable to the controller.
11:29 AM Liked: 17
post #17 of 411
01-18-2014 | Posts: 804
New toys from Audiotechnica, fully compatible with PS4.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/headphones/headphones_cat.pl?select_multiple_3=Gaming%20Headsets
03:28 PM Liked: 105
post #18 of 411
01-18-2014 | Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVholic View Post

New toys from Audiotechnica, fully compatible with PS4.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/headphones/headphones_cat.pl?select_multiple_3=Gaming%20Headsets

They look nice, especially the open ADG1s. For $299 they aren't going to replace my Sennheiser PC 360s anytime soon though.

Sennheiser has also released updated versions of the PC 360 (open) and PC 350 (closed) called the G4me One and G4m3 Zero respectively. New paint jobs (white & red) but not sure if much else is updated over the previous versions just yet. I'm still thinking of picking up another pair of PC360s at the big river since they are currently at $160 and two day shipping with prime.
10:50 AM Liked: 105
post #19 of 411
01-28-2014 | Posts: 1,034
Quick update on mixamps I have used successfully with the PS4 and my Senheisser PC360s:

1) Astro wireless mixamp 5.8: I can actually use these now and they sound great! As long as you have it set to 'Chat Audio' only and not 'All Audio' on the PS4 headset/headphone settings. When it's set to 'All Audio' the channels get mixed and the voice/chat knob works as a master volume control instead of a channel separator. Only use 'All Audio' on the PS4 if you are plugging a headset directly into the controller with no mixamp in the chain

2) Astro mixamp pro 2013: The volume on this is a bit better due to the wired nature, but the 5.8 still works so well this is my fallback option. This is still probably the best option to use your own set of cans if you are buying new since the 5.8 has been discontinued for a few years. Same settings apply, use 'Chat Only' on the PS4 headphone settings.

3) Soundblaster recon3d: It surpised me that this actually works better on the PS4 than it did on either the Xbox360 or PS3. The THX sound positioning is fantastic, sometimes better and clearer than the Dolby in the mixamps. The mic works without feedback now, although there was some lag when I tested it. Best part is you dont have to use that stupid microphone switch out of the mic jack, just set the amp to 'PS3' and plug the headphone and mic from your headsets straight into the amp. Still can't recommend this over the Astro products but it is a very viable alternative. Same 'Chat Only' settings on the PS4 apply.
HaydnThwaite's Avatar HaydnThwaite
01:24 AM Liked: 10
post #20 of 411
01-30-2014 | Posts: 1
I have also used the Turtle Beach PS4 chat cable to successfully connect my Mixamp 5.8 to the PS4. It doesn't seem to have the poor sound quality or strange issues that I read some people were having trying to use the USB chat cable to connect. If you're using the 5.8 I highly recommend this setup, it is the correct 4-pole CTIA plug and the cable is really sturdy.

However, I don't have a way to connect to my PC or PS3. I need the Astro USB chat cable. Does anyone know of ANY store that might have one still?
I can't find one that will ship to the U.S. I contacted Astro support but they seem to be completely out of stock now.
Or anyone that is willing to sell their cable. I'll gladly buy it.
07:13 AM Liked: 94
post #21 of 411
02-03-2014 | Posts: 1,294
1.60 firmware coming tonight to bring Pulse Support and support for the new "Gold" Wireless Headset. Also, there will be a Headset Companion app in the Playstation Store that will be released soon.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/03/ps4-system-update-1-60-official-headset-support-gold-wireless-headset-out-soon/
Quote:
The Gold Wireless Headset and the PULSE – Elite Edition are compatible with the free Headset Companion App, which hits PlayStation Store in February. The app allows you to download developer-created game modes that are specifically tuned to enhance a game’s audio. Kicking off the custom sound modes will be Sucker Punch, who’s developing a mode for their highly anticipated PS4 exclusive inFAMOUS Second Son. In addition to these custom game modes, the app also offers a variety of preset audio modes for games, music and movies, as well as a tool to create your own custom EQ mode.

08:52 AM Liked: 105
post #22 of 411
02-03-2014 | Posts: 1,034
EDIT: Wrong Thread :/

On another note, I'm curious about the 7.1 surround features of the Sony Pulse and upcoming Gold Wireless headsets. Will you get 7.1 virtual surround for all games? Or just ones that have 'game profiles' created by the developers?

Also curious if the emulation used is Dolby headphone, THX or some Sony proprietary implementation.
GatorRican's Avatar GatorRican
07:36 AM Liked: 18
post #23 of 411
02-05-2014 | Posts: 230
I am excited to try out my old original Pulses' now that the update patch allows for PS4 integration.

I am also looking forward to reviews and comparisons of all 3 SONY gaming headsets:

Pulse vs Pulse Elite vs [new] Gold (wonder how good the audio presets and developer created game modes will really be...?)

In my opinion you can't beat the SONY headsets when it comes to Plug n Play convenience (i.e. no base, no wires)

Can you guys confirm if the Pulses' 7.1 virtual surround works on the PS4 as well after the patch? Or is the patch strictly stereo only? In other words when you press the little 7.1 virtual surround button on the original Pulses' - Do you hear/notice a difference? I did notice a difference on the PS3 (sometimes for the better, sometimes not)...haven't tried them on the PS4 yet
emartins's Avatar emartins
08:07 AM Liked: 555
post #24 of 411
02-05-2014 | Posts: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

I am excited to try out my old original Pulses' now that the update patch allows for PS4 integration.

I am also looking forward to reviews and comparisons of all 3 SONY gaming headsets:

Pulse vs Pulse Elite vs [new] Gold (wonder how good the audio presets and developer created game modes will really be...?)

In my opinion you can't beat the SONY headsets when it comes to Plug n Play convenience (i.e. no base, no wires)

Can you guys confirm if the Pulses' 7.1 virtual surround works on the PS4 as well after the patch? Or is the patch strictly stereo only? In other words when you press the little 7.1 virtual surround button on the original Pulses' - Do you hear/notice a difference? I did notice a difference on the PS3 (sometimes for the better, sometimes not)...haven't tried them on the PS4 yet

Dont they have a USB base that you have to plug in? Or is that only for PC's? I hate having something sticking out in the front of the PS4. I wish they had rear USB ports.
08:13 AM Liked: 18
post #25 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Dont they have a USB base that you have to plug in? Or is that only for PC's? I hate having something sticking out in the front of the PS4. I wish they had rear USB ports.

No USB "base" but yes USB stick. All of SONYs gaming headsets (Pulse, Elite and the new Gold) have a USB stick that needs to be plugged in to the console. However, these sticks are 2 to 3 inches long and replace any and all wires that would need to be used with any other gaming headset. From pre-release pics, it looks like the new Gold headset's USB stick will be shorter than the Pulse/Elite USB stick

Having this stick "stick" out of my console is a great compromise for me to forgo all wires. Not sure anyone but me would notice it. Granted if you plan on using the USBs a lot while gaming (not sure with what) then you would have one less slot when using the headset.
emartins's Avatar emartins
08:17 AM Liked: 555
post #26 of 411
02-05-2014 | Posts: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

No USB "base" but yes USB stick. All of SONYs gaming headsets (Pulse, Elite and the new Gold) have a USB stick that needs to be plugged in to the console. However, these sticks are 2 to 3 inches long and replace any and all wires that would need to be used with any other gaming headset. From pre-release pics, it looks like the new Gold headset's USB stick will be shorter than the Pulse/Elite USB stick

Having this stick "stick" out of my console is a great compromised for me to forgo all wires. Not sure anyone but me would notice it. Granted if you plan on using the USBs a lot while gaming (not sure with what) then you would have one less slot when using the headset.

I hate wires also and right now I have a USB wire and the base is hidden. I ran the wire in the little crevice so its not just hanging around. I use either the A50's or Plyr 1. I did pull out my 5.8 mixamp and Senn 360's the other night. If it wasnt for the wires that would be my go to headset.
08:20 AM Liked: 94
post #27 of 411
02-05-2014 | Posts: 1,294
I don't mind having the USB stick hanging out of the front of the PS4 but my only gripe is that the blue light constantly blinks when you leave the PS4 in Standby mode. For now, I just pop it out and the USB stick perfectly fits in the slot on top of the PS4 (if you have it vertical).
08:21 AM Liked: 18
post #28 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

I hate wires also and right now I have a USB wire and the base is hidden. I ran the wire in the little crevice so its not just hanging around. I use either the A50's or Plyr 1. I did pull out my 5.8 mixamp and Senn 360's the other night. If it wasnt for the wires that would be my go to headset.

Yeah I am afraid of using a high quality set of cans for gaming. Like Senn's. ATH, or even MLG sets like the A50's with mix amp.....I am afraid the difference might be so, that I will have to invest in a $200+ set. Heck maybe even $400+ set.

Need to stay in the <$150 range smile.gif
08:23 AM Liked: 18
post #29 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post

I don't mind having the USB stick hanging out of the front of the PS4 but my only gripe is that the blue light constantly blinks when you leave the PS4 in Standby mode. For now, I just pop it out and the USB stick perfectly fits in the slot on top of the PS4 (if you have it vertical).

Didn't even considered the blue light blinking while PS4 is in standby mode............one word comes to mind: Annoying
Spanglo's Avatar Spanglo
10:49 AM Liked: 255
post #30 of 411
02-05-2014 | Posts: 1,796
I finally have simulated surround with the latest patch. Before I was only able to get stereo with Sennheiser PC363D.

They're wired to a usb soundcard/dongle.

Reply PlayStation Area

Subscribe to this Thread