AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

My setup is in my sig.

Been playing on a 120" screen for 3 years now. Can't go back to anything smaller biggrin.gif.

Nice setup man, looks great. 120" is big!

Looks like you're getting a lot of light bounce from the ceiling. Addressing that would deepen those blacks even further. In my projector setup I was getting a lot light from the ceiling as well.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Oh man... making me want to break down and go projection asap... Gotta hold out for the summer. Not quite sure how I will manage it in my new place but I have a few ideas.

Going from 70" to 100"+ should be a nice upgrade. (Aiming for 120" but I may spring for Black Diamond if I can manage it, size would take a hit if I did. The room is fairly bright in the day with little light control)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #93 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Yep, nothing like a BIG screen at home. I run a 133" and at times it's a bit too immersive eek.gif if you know what I mean.

Gaming at these sizes is a whole other experience versus even a large tv, we have a 50" Plasma and a 60" LED LCD and the 133" DLP projection is far more entertaining.

I also have a 100" screen in my game room and the 133" makes the 100" seem small, so go as big as your room/seating distance allows so you don't waste money changing out screens (in order to go bigger).

Regarding the Paradigm speakers, I have a local friend that has a 7.2 Signature set-up with dual Rythmik 15" subs and it's brilliant, hi-res audio with your eyes shut is about as close to live as it gets (and I have listened to ultra high end gear like Wilson, KEF, Focal, etc.).

Jason
post #94 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Oh man... making me want to break down and go projection asap... Gotta hold out for the summer. Not quite sure how I will manage it in my new place but I have a few ideas.

Going from 70" to 100"+ should be a nice upgrade. (Aiming for 120" but I may spring for Black Diamond if I can manage it, size would take a hit if I did. The room is fairly bright in the day with little light control)

Seriously, I would no go with a projector in the room you described. You have people on this forum complaining how the light from the controller washes out the image, so you can imagine what real light sources can do. If you do go down that road, then you might be better served to invest the money you were going to spend on the screen, and use it towards making the room more projector friendly.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #95 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post

Seriously, I would no go with a projector in the room you described. You have people on this forum complaining how the light from the controller washes out the image, so you can imagine what real light sources can do. You would be better served to invest the money you were going to spend on the screen, and use it towards making the room more projector friendly.

Place is a rental with a very open floor plan, I can't do much. Black Diamond or a similar tech would fix that for less than the upcoming Vizio 120" and would transition to future projectors.

My only other option is to rig a drop down screen in front of my 70" and switch between them, and that would be tricky with how the ceiling is set up.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #96 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Indeed the room has a tremendous impact on the end result but if an ideal room was required the number of people enjoying front projection would be a mere fraction of what it actually is. wink.gif

Now if ambient light cannot be controlled then you either go the distance to make it work or you only use it at night. The number of people that are actually seeing their display's full potential is relatively small and the number with an ideal room is even smaller.

Jason
post #97 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Place is a rental with a very open floor plan, I can't do much. Black Diamond or a similar tech would fix that for less than the upcoming Vizio 120" and would transition to future projectors.

My only other option is to rig a drop down screen in front of my 70" and switch between them, and that would be tricky with how the ceiling is set up.

Always a series of compromises when dealing with HT.

My room was super light, big windows, white walls and ceiling... pretty much the worst environment ever for a projector. I got away for years using my projector mostly at night, but even at night the blacks were only light gray at best because of all of the reflected light off the white surfaces. Eventually I minimized the reflected light and I have good blacks without turning my living room into a man cave.

A screen, no matter how expensive it is, will not fix the problem of there being too much light in the room. Light washes out the image.

If your room is like mine was, then you'll be equally amazed how awful the projector looks during the day, and how great it looks at night.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #98 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have you seen Black Diamond in action before? It does wonders for a brighter room, I just don't know if it is worth the $$$$ to get it. A 110" screen would cost as much as my Sharp 70" did. That is my biggest hold up, justifying that cost.

Here is a demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ODjC01J1M

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #99 of 165 Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, other than screen texture the BD screen does some amazing things in a non-ideal (white walled non light controlled) room.

Jason
post #100 of 165 Old 01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you seen Black Diamond in action before? It does wonders for a brighter room, I just don't know if it is worth the $$$$ to get it. A 110" screen would cost as much as my Sharp 70" did. That is my biggest hold up, justifying that cost.

Here is a demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ODjC01J1M

Yes I've seen the videos, I was contemplating getting one for my light room. Obviously the screen helps, but not enough IMO. I takes a severely washed out image and transforms it into a poorly washed out image. The blacks in those videos are light greys, which is passable for some content, but definitely not ideal for others.

Televised sports generally look fine washed out because they're so well lit, but generally not the case for gaming or movies. I play mostly shooters, and any loss of detail negatively affects gameplay. It is very difficult to play competitively if the image is washed out, and it looks like the BD will only give you a better looking washed out image - which doesn't cut it.

Personally I have 2 gaming systems, as I avoid playing on the projector during the day. Only because I don't want to play in a dungeon when it's nice and sunny out.

You might want to see about demoing a projector in your space, so you have an idea of how it looks in the am and pm. I wonder if BD has any material samples they offer for demo?

Good luck, man.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #101 of 165 Old 01-25-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post

Yes I've seen the videos, I was contemplating getting one for my light room. Obviously the screen helps, but not enough IMO. I takes a severely washed out image and transforms it into a poorly washed out image. The blacks in those videos are light greys, which is passable for some content, but definitely not ideal for others.

Televised sports generally look fine washed out because they're so well lit, but generally not the case for gaming or movies. I play mostly shooters, and any loss of detail negatively affects gameplay. It is very difficult to play competitively if the image is washed out, and it looks like the BD will only give you a better looking washed out image - which doesn't cut it.

Personally I have 2 gaming systems, as I avoid playing on the projector during the day. Only because I don't want to play in a dungeon when it's nice and sunny out.

You might want to see about demoing a projector in your space, so you have an idea of how it looks in the am and pm. I wonder if BD has any material samples they offer for demo?

Good luck, man.

Yeah, it just sounds like a setup that isn't going to work with a projector. You'll end up spending a ton of money to get a meh image. Just buy a chair on wheels and roll it closer to a flat panel if you want a bigger image.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #102 of 165 Old 01-25-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, it just sounds like a setup that isn't going to work with a projector. You'll end up spending a ton of money to get a meh image. Just buy a chair on wheels and roll it closer to a flat panel if you want a bigger image.

You know as well as I do that doesn't work. tongue.gif

I'll figure it out as I get closer to the time, I've still got a few months.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #103 of 165 Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Took a couple quick craptastic quality pics of my 110 ' living room set up ..... defeinitley my favorite room in the house wink.gif

Had to throw the PS4 on a makeshift spot under the screen due to the lack of a extension cable for the Playstation Camera, she'll move to the little rack next to the couch when and if they release one.

Nayan likes this.

PSN: futurecode
post #104 of 165 Old 01-26-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking into light control, it shouldn't be too difficult, I need two curtains that look fitting for the room that block the daylight. Something to cover the window on the door and maybe something to block the window in the nearby hall and kitchen.

After that I just need out work out projector placement and throw distance for a 120" screen, shouldn't be too hard.

Does DLP offer similar motion performance to Plasma? That is easily the thing I have missed most since going LCD.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #105 of 165 Old 01-26-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PEN,

If you can get away with the generally more limited placement flexibility of DLP it is excellent regarding motion handling and you'll usually see better response time (lag) with DLP (there are LCD based exceptions of course).

Jason
post #106 of 165 Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:

Looking into light control, it shouldn't be too difficult, I need two curtains that look fitting for the room that block the daylight. Something to cover the window on the door and maybe something to block the window in the nearby hall and kitchen.

After that I just need out work out projector placement and throw distance for a 120" screen, shouldn't be too hard.

Does DLP offer similar motion performance to Plasma? That is easily the thing I have missed most since going LCD.

It's better than LCD, but not as good as plasma. There's no ghosting per se, but there's still motion artifacts because of pixel persistence. It looks similar to the OLED vita.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #107 of 165 Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

I don't know if this will help you but when I was a single dude I had a junior one bedroom with lots of windows in my 'living room'. Behind my red velvet curtains which were placed behind my flat panel (which looked great and worked well for sound) I used two plastic roll-down window coverings specifically designed for darkening rooms. Basically, they were a shade of grey (vs. white) and were heavier than your typical roll-down/pull-down shaded. They were down all the time and you never saw them because the red drapes covered them. This worked very, very well for me and was an inexpensive solution.
post #108 of 165 Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 113
New Optoma HD131xe projector and 106" fixed frame screen. The picture of the media closet is pre-PS4 and PS3.

More pics in my sig.
tdogroeder and SharpOne like this.
post #109 of 165 Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
very nice!

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #110 of 165 Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

A couple of people have asked me for an equipment list of my ht so here goes:
4 svs pb 13 ultras
2 svs pb 12 pluses
2 buttkicker amps with 3 shaker pistons
5 richard gray power units
Epson 8700 projector
2 emotiva xpa 1s
1 xpa 2
1 xpa 3
Rotel rsp 1572 pre pro
Oppo 83se blu-ray player
Jm lab/focal 920s, 925s, and sr30 surrounds
Golden ear triton 2s
Benchmark dac1
Bryston 4bsst2
Wadia ipad dock
Yba cd3
M2 tech hi face
Aseq1 svs sub eq
Xbox 360
And wait for it... A ps4!

Good LORD!!!!!
post #111 of 165 Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post

Good LORD!!!!!
yup that's just what my wife said.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #112 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
The entire house must shake like crazy with six SVS subwoofers. I know with just one in my condo everything shakes and vibrates.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #113 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

New Optoma HD131xe projector and 106" fixed frame screen. The picture of the media closet is pre-PS4 and PS3.

More pics in my sig.

Hey, nice setup! Are those Infinity IL30s or IL40s? I have the IL40s. I've had them for I think around 13 years now. I kinda wish they would die already, so I could buy something new, but I'm having a hard time just giving or throwing them away as they still work and sound good. I also picked up a refurbed Infinity C360 center speaker from the Infinity E-bay store, for like $125 dollars or so, when I decided to go 5.1 and eventually 5.2. I had the orignal light grey grills like you do, but the kids had greased and stained them all up. I was able to get a new pair of charcoal grills direct from Infiinity, for I think around $40.

How long have you had those...buy them new?
post #114 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
New Tv and Entertainment Stand.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #115 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

Hey, nice setup! Are those Infinity IL30s or IL40s? I have the IL40s. I've had them for I think around 13 years now. I kinda wish they would die already, so I could buy something new, but I'm having a hard time just giving or throwing them away as they still work and sound good. I also picked up a refurbed Infinity C360 center speaker from the Infinity E-bay store, for like $125 dollars or so, when I decided to go 5.1 and eventually 5.2. I had the orignal light grey grills like you do, but the kids had greased and stained them all up. I was able to get a new pair of charcoal grills direct from Infiinity, for I think around $40.

How long have you had those...buy them new?
I've had them since around 2001. Bought everything in my home theater at the time new from Circuit City when I worked there for 60% off. They are the IL30s I think. I had a matching center but I got a great deal on an Alpha center and sub. I'd get the grills if I cared enough (and I almost do.) I hope mine don't die! They still sound great. I'd have to spend a lot of money to get better sounding speakers.
post #116 of 165 Old 03-15-2014, 08:08 PM

Liked: 17
post #117 of 165 Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11

This shows a PS3 but has been replaced with a PS4. Combination kids playroom and home theater room.
post #118 of 165 Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 10
A few quick shots from my phone(low quality)...

Display: Infocus IN82 dlp projector
Screen: 119" 16:9 da-lite cinema vision
Speakers: 7.1 jbl hti series inwalls
Sub: 2x Elemental Designs A3-300(one just died)
Receiver: pioneer vsx-1018
Sources: ps4, Xbox one, ps3, dish vip622
Device control: Logitech Harmony One

post #119 of 165 Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumanzc View Post

This shows a PS3 but has been replaced with a PS4. Combination kids playroom and home theater room.
The thing missing from my pics is the floor full of Legos, Transformers, and Thomas trains. And the Skylanders... oh the Skylanders.
post #120 of 165 Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Finally got pics of my meager setup. The room limits me. not much i can do with it and i'm exploring options in cable control. So many cables...

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page