PlayStation 4 Netflix buffering? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have been reading about a lot of Netflix buffering issues on Sony products. Have the problem on my 3 y.o. blueray player. Seems to be that Sony servers are involved in the stream and are the problem. Do the PS3 or PS4 have Netflix buffering issues too? I have an Xbox 360 but don't want to pay MS $60 a year to watch content I've already paid for. Wii works but not HD. Trying to have an all-in-one device and may switch to PlayStation. We don't play a lot of games but watch a lot of movies on bluray, Netflix and Amazon on demand. Replacing the few Xbox games (<10) won't be a problem if the PlayStations play nice.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Sony servers are not involved in the stream. PS3 streams as well as any other device I have used. No reason to pay MS money for something every other manufacturer offers for free.

I don't have a PS4 yet but I imagine it will do the job as well.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have two devices that stream Netflix: my PS3 and my Tivo HD. Apart from the vastly superior interface of the PS3's Netflix app, I think the picture quality on the PS3 is better as well.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got a W900 and it resolves to HD and stays there much better than my PS3 IMO. Of course they are both Sony.

OP, just spend $70 on a Roku IMO.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
No buffering problems on my PS3 or Sony BD3100 smart blu-ray player. Occasionally I'll see a slight dip in PQ after rewinding that lasts less than 30 seconds, but nothing like my first-gen Roku where I'd get constant rebuffers with Netflix during regular playback (video would completely pause and after 30-60 seconds come back at a lower quality on a 10-15 MB internet service). In fact, rebuffers aside, when I replaced my old Roku with the current-year model Sony blu-ray player, the PQ difference was like night and day on the old 32" 720p Samsung LCD in my bedroom.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I was having buffering issues a few days ago, but this is on all devices I have - iPhone, laptop (Windows 8), HTPCs (Windows 7) and PS3s (2). My internet speed is 50 down, so it's not my end. It was especially noticeable if you backed up to re-watch a segment. Seemed fine last night.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Let me start by saying I have just started streaming Netflix in the last couple weeks and have used it on my PS3, PS4 and XBone without any problems as far as buffering. I do have an issue that I think has been talked about but I cannot find the thread so I will ask it here.

I have just started watching SoA (I know, what took me so long) and I am experiencing some audio issues. Now I know I have read something about the PS4 and XBone having issues as far audio out put goes so maybe that is the issue.

Is anyone else having issues getting audio in 5.1? When I am looking at the main page for SoA it clearly says the audio is in 5.1 but when I am watching an episode and hit down on the analog stick and bring up the audio and CC menu the only audio option is for stereo, there is no option for 5.1...this is the same on the XBone for me also.

Does anyone know of a way to get 5.1 out of this? I have tried switching up listening modes like others have mentioned and can't seem to get anything but a stereo signal coming out of my Onkyo TX-NR1008. Is there something I am missing that I can try?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Which device are you watching on other than the Xbone?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Which device are you watching on other than the Xbone?

Just the PS4...I have yet to watch it on the PS3 to see if it is different.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Let me start by saying I have just started streaming Netflix in the last couple weeks and have used it on my PS3, PS4 and XBone without any problems as far as buffering. I do have an issue that I think has been talked about but I cannot find the thread so I will ask it here.

I have just started watching SoA (I know, what took me so long) and I am experiencing some audio issues. Now I know I have read something about the PS4 and XBone having issues as far audio out put goes so maybe that is the issue.

Is anyone else having issues getting audio in 5.1? When I am looking at the main page for SoA it clearly says the audio is in 5.1 but when I am watching an episode and hit down on the analog stick and bring up the audio and CC menu the only audio option is for stereo, there is no option for 5.1...this is the same on the XBone for me also.

Does anyone know of a way to get 5.1 out of this? I have tried switching up listening modes like others have mentioned and can't seem to get anything but a stereo signal coming out of my Onkyo TX-NR1008. Is there something I am missing that I can try?

I posted about this problem in another thread. Turns out 5.1 is misleading advertising on Netflix's part. 5.1 isn't available for SoA until season 4 as far as I can tell.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I prefer to use the Panasonic TV app for MLB.tv and Amazon Prime over the PS3.

The Ps3 seems to not buffer / download as well.
(The PS3 does have very small amount of memory so it makes sense.)

Haven't tried on the PS4 yet.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I posted about this problem in another thread. Turns out 5.1 is misleading advertising on Netflix's part. 5.1 isn't available for SoA until season 4 as far as I can tell.

That crossed my mind and I was hoping that was the case, I just thought it was odd that a show that debuted in 2008 would not have a 5.1 mix. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I only use Amazon Prime, but my PS4 works far better than my PS3 with regard to picking up my wifi signal. The PS4 starts quickly and always shows HD where the PS3 often drops resolution.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I only use Amazon Prime, but my PS4 works far better than my PS3 with regard to picking up my wifi signal. The PS4 starts quickly and always shows HD where the PS3 often drops resolution.

I noticed the same with mine, but my PS4 is hardwired whereas my PS3 is wifi so that is not really a fair comparison on my end.

I clicked the link in your sig and bummed that it seems Panny does not have the same type of service for the 2010 G25 panels that have the same issue. I have gotten used to it over the past 3 years, but I would love to be able to get it fixed like the people with the 2011 panels to get consistent black levels without the flickering.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I noticed the same with mine, but my PS4 is hardwired whereas my PS3 is wifi so that is not really a fair comparison on my end.

I clicked the link in your sig and bummed that it seems Panny does not have the same type of service for the 2010 G25 panels that have the same issue. I have gotten used to it over the past 3 years, but I would love to be able to get it fixed like the people with the 2011 panels to get consistent black levels without the flickering.

We definitely got lucky that Panasonic patched our problem in 2011. It's a crime that they just ignored the floating blacks from 2010, and rising blacks from the years prior.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To add to this, I watched an episode from season 2 of SoA last night on my PS3 which is set to bitstream. With this even though in the drop down menu when watching it only said stereo but I was still getting 5.1 from my receiver which I was not able to do with the XB1 or PS4. I am thinking this may have to do with the PS3 being set to bitstream and the PS4 and XB1 being set to linear PCM.

Being that you do not get lossless audio when bitstreaming from the PS4 and XB1 (unless there is something I am missing), it looks like the PS3 will be my go to streaming device until the audio issues with the new consoles are resolved.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

We definitely got lucky that Panasonic patched our problem in 2011. It's a crime that they just ignored the floating blacks from 2010, and rising blacks from the years prior.

It does suck and it makes me want to get on of the new VT panels before they are gone being that Panny is exiting the plasma market...sadly might I add. I just can't get down with these newer LED TV's. I have seen and watched plenty on them and I just cannot stand how the picture studders and just looks fake.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Do it. I have an ST50 and just got a VT60. They are really great sets. I got the VT for the same reason you mention - I love the Panny plasmas and wanted a VT before they exit the market.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Do it. I have an ST50 and just got a VT60. They are really great sets. I got the VT for the same reason you mention - I love the Panny plasmas and wanted a VT before they exit the market.

I should have jumped on the Amazon deal last week when the 60" VT was like $1,700. mad.gif
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To add to this, I watched an episode from season 2 of SoA last night on my PS3 which is set to bitstream. With this even though in the drop down menu when watching it only said stereo but I was still getting 5.1 from my receiver which I was not able to do with the XB1 or PS4. I am thinking this may have to do with the PS3 being set to bitstream and the PS4 and XB1 being set to linear PCM.

Being that you do not get lossless audio when bitstreaming from the PS4 and XB1 (unless there is something I am missing), it looks like the PS3 will be my go to streaming device until the audio issues with the new consoles are resolved.

I changed my PS3 to bitstream a couple weeks ago to test this myself and only ever got stereo for Sons of Anarchy (until season 4) and now Dexter. Seeing your post, I restarted a couple different episodes from season 2 this morning with the same result. No biggie. As long as I'm getting 5.1 when I'm really supposed to, I'm good.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I changed my PS3 to bitstream a couple weeks ago to test this myself and only ever got stereo for Sons of Anarchy (until season 4) and now Dexter. Seeing your post, I restarted a couple different episodes from season 2 this morning with the same result. No biggie. As long as I'm getting 5.1 when I'm really supposed to, I'm good.

I dod not expect it to do anything either and was quite surprised. Guess I will have to wait until season 4 to test it out on the PS4.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Zookster 

Have these issues been resolved? Sorry for reviving this old thread but I have both the PS4 and PS3 and want to move the PS3 into the bedroom, making the PS4 my main device.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Have these issues been resolved? Sorry for reviving this old thread but I have both the PS4 and PS3 and want to move the PS3 into the bedroom, making the PS4 my main device.
Not sure what he is talking about, I run my PS4 for blu rays to a yahama avr via hdmi... I run the PS4 in PCM audio mode and get lossless audio without any issues when using the appropriate content (blu ray)