Sports Games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am thinking about not opening my 3ds xl and then returning and getting a ps3 because I have had only Nintendo systems for like a decade and so it's getting VERY annoying not EVER getting good baseball games.

I wonder just how much better The Show is compared to past baseball games. I wonder if I would still prefer playing some old ones such as MVP 2005, if I don't care too much about rosters and just want a fun sim. Anyone on here actually been playing baseball games for many years and still like The Show series?

Also, Nintendo NEVER gets NCAA games, so that's another thing tempting me. I don't know that I would ever care to play an non-sports games, but for the 3ds I may play nothing other than Zelda games and my vision sucks, so it will probably annoy me playing it.

edit: is there no NCAA basketball game after the 2010 one? I do see there's a ncaa football 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 285
There's no NCAA basketball and starting this year there won't be any NCAA football either. The Show is a great baseball game.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

There's no NCAA basketball and starting this year there won't be any NCAA football either. The Show is a great baseball game.

I really wish EA would adopt an every other year approach in regards to Madden and NCAA football.
post #4 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I really wish EA would adopt an every other year approach in regards to Madden and NCAA football.
What I would like to see happen is kind of the call of duty thing, where they have the studios take turns release a game every other year. The NCAA team won't be working on that game anymore, so they could allow them and the Madden team to alternate years and give them time to put in cool new features.

post #5 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

What I would like to see happen is kind of the call of duty thing, where they have the studios take turns release a game every other year. The NCAA team won't be working on that game anymore, so they could allow them and the Madden team to alternate years and give them time to put in cool new features.

That is what I was referring to...you obviously said it better though. lol
post #6 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

That is what I was referring to...you obviously said it better though. lol
I wasn't sure because you listed NCAA and that game is dead, but great minds think alike.

post #7 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I obviously "would" get a ps4, but this is just some "on a whim" trying to find the cheapest way to get to play The Show games. I may end up bot doing it, though, because even with me not needing much hard disk space due to how few games I would play on it, the ps3 is still expensive when you consider the xbox 360 had some consoles for under $100 during the holidays. Really the best deals I can find at the moment are bundles for a little over $200 and then I guess I could sell the game off. Too bad there's no bundle that comes with The Show 13. Although whatever game I get with it, I assume I could sell for enough to pay for The Show, anyway, as it's inexpensive if I don't wait for 14.

I am really for real thinking about just going back to old baseball games that were fun to play, though. I don't care about hraphics, commentary, rosters (very much), etc... I only want something that "feels" fun. Past games I liked were the mvp series, some of the all star baseball series, world series baseball series, baseball stars, etc...
post #8 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Is any type of online play on the PS3 free or is it all requiring subscriptions?
post #9 of 47 Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I initially loved The Show- great graphics and fairly realistic gameplay, but as I've gotten into it, I've found it very frustrating. The controls for running the bases are unnecessarily complicated and don't always work right (I HATE when you're running and go to change directions, but then the perspective changes and now you're pointing the wrong way, so you turn back around- you're out!), the computer runners do crazy things (e.g. man on first tries to go to 3rd when you hit a line drive single to left and there's no way he can make it AND there's 2 outs- never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base being a baseball fundamental), the way the game always seemed to favor the same teams, the way my team would blow leads late in the game WAY too often (seemed like most every year my Orioles were at or just above the worst in the league in blown saves), but most frustrating is the fact that my results seem to have more to do w/ the computer than my performance (wait out the count to 2-0 or 3-1, get one right in the sweet zone and hit it w/ perfect timing, but still just get a pop-up, while other times you get jammed big-time and end up w/ a HR to right or you're way out in front of a slider but get a double to left).

I didn't notice a lot of this stuff at first and really enjoyed the game, but the more I played it and the better I got, the more apparent these things became and the more I noticed the computer's negative intrusions. It got to be so frustrating, I had to stop playing the game. It was like my input into the game had much less bearing on the results than the algorithms, which I swear were programmed by someone w/ a real sadistic streak... This is all on the easy setting, BTW- anything above that and trying to hit is pretty much impossible.

Add in the fact that you had to pay to play online; I've formed a pretty heavy grudge against EA Sports. I've played the big 4 sports offerings (baseball, basketball, hockey and football) from EA Sports starting back w/ Nintendo, through Sega Genesis up to PS3 and always enjoyed them, but between The Show and NHL Hockey (where it seems like 1 out of every 4-5 games I can outshoot a team like 53 to 19 and still end up losing, despite having a goalie w/ a 99 rating), I've decided to boycott EA games. It seems to me as the graphics have improved, the game enjoyment factor has decreased.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Er... The Show is Sony, not EA. EA had to drop their MLB game due to a weird semi-exclusive deal 2K sports made with MLB. Which is a shame because it was a pretty good game.
JimWinVA likes this.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Er... The Show is Sony, not EA. EA had to drop their MLB game due to a weird semi-exclusive deal 2K sports made with MLB. Which is a shame because it was a pretty good game.

Wow- you're right. I just checked. All my other sports games are EA, so I just lumped them all together. Oh well, like they say, memory is the 2nd thing to go...

No wonder I never received a reply from my email to EA Sports- though w/ all the negative feedback I gave, you'd think they'd have wanted to disassociate themselves...
post #12 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

JimWinVA, that's really weird because I usually have no issues with lag in EA sports games. The show last year was horrible online for me. Me and a friend that live in the same town would try to play, and every 4-5 pitch would lag out on us and either be a wild pitch or a meat ball right down the middle to get crushed. 2K servers lag a lot on me, but EA sports games always ran pretty smooth.

post #13 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, it's unfortunate but no more NCAA games because of the litigation. They tried to work around it for a bit but that went nowhere.

Madden every other year would make sense for a better product, as long as they released updates, new schedules, bug fixes for the season that is skipped but I can't imagine that would be a more profitable model for EA.

I guess they could charge like $30 in off-years for the updates as a lot of people will want the latest lineup and schedule reflections of course. Maybe that $30 is also requried for online play since you'd need the most updated roster.
post #14 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:

JimWinVA, that's really weird because I usually have no issues with lag in EA sports games. The show last year was horrible online for me. Me and a friend that live in the same town would try to play, and every 4-5 pitch would lag out on us and either be a wild pitch or a meat ball right down the middle to get crushed. 2K servers lag a lot on me, but EA sports games always ran pretty smooth.

??? lag wasn't one of the problems I mentioned- you lost me...
post #15 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Trust me, if you ever play a 2k baseball game on a Nintendo console, you would HATE the company forever. I only played 0ONE of them, as I luckily wasn't tricked into buying more, but look what they did... they kept releasing the same crap EVERY year, where basically the ONLY thing they would change is rosters and something very minor. It was the same in everything else. So basically they did almost exactly zero work and kept charging full price. They never included the Wii in those million dollar contests, never changed the pitching or hitting interface, never added the same features added to the others, etc. Even if you never cared about Nintendo consoles, just knowing they are so "ethically challenged" should clue you in not to buy their games for other consoles, either. Their stupid contract with MLB RUINED baseball games for anyone EXCEPT PS owners. The MVP Baseball games were awesome. Then they abruptly had to stop. Probably partly EA's fault, too, though, for starting that exclusive crap by doing the NFL contract. I for real am tempted to just connect my original wii back up, which can play GC games, and just play MVP and not buy a console. lol But if I knew I would enjoy The Show 13 or the upcoming 14, I would buy a PS3. What's the last PS2 console? They supported it so long, maybe I should go cheaper still and get that. lol
post #16 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Add in the fact that you had to pay to play online; I've formed a pretty heavy grudge against EA Sports. I've played the big 4 sports offerings (baseball, basketball, hockey and football) from EA Sports starting back w/ Nintendo, through Sega Genesis up to PS3 and always enjoyed them, but between The Show and NHL Hockey (where it seems like 1 out of every 4-5 games I can outshoot a team like 53 to 19 and still end up losing, despite having a goalie w/ a 99 rating), I've decided to boycott EA games. It seems to me as the graphics have improved, the game enjoyment factor has decreased.

Handicap. EAs way of keeping casuals in the game. FIFA has the same thing and if you look at the BF4 thread, there is talk of under level 20 being harder to kill.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #17 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I see RBI Baseball 14 has been announced, so I may be back to not getting a console... I highly doubt it's going to be great, though, since no "normal sports game company" is making it. Hopefully EA will get licensing with MLB and make a 2015 one.
post #18 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Hopefully EA will get licensing with MLB and make a 2015 one.

Not sure if SRS.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #19 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

Handicap. EAs way of keeping casuals in the game. FIFA has the same thing and if you look at the BF4 thread, there is talk of under level 20 being harder to kill.

Not sure what you mean by keeping casuals in the game- are you referring to playing against an opponent? I'm talking about playing against the computer, using the level above easy. All it does it take away from my enjoyment of the game.
post #20 of 47 Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just confirmed yesterday that a golf game is definitely coming to the PS4 in the first half of this year. HB Studios' forthcoming, next-gen golf game (as yet untitled) will be released for the PS4 and XBox 360. While we don't know anything about the game's interface, gameplay, presentation, and appearance, we do know of one refreshingly unique property it will have - a course creator!

Why does HB Studios have a chance to make a go of it in the course creator department with the XBox One and PS4? How about 128 times the amount of available video/system RAM? Where I think the developers have a formidable challenge is with the course creation interface. A wireless game controller seems to be an handicap compared with working with a full keyboard and mouse, but if you look at HB Studios track record, they've been pretty creative and adaptable with past games. I'm more than willing to give them a chance with this and hope they knock a home run with it.

The game's success for me will ultimately not be based on the course creator; it will be based on the gameplay. I want a golf game that makes me feel an inertial based connection to my on-screen golfer. I want to sense the effects of acceleration, resistance, and momentum in the swing to the extent this can be done with a hand-held controller (Links 2004 on the XBox did a reasonable job with this 10 years ago). I also want to be able to view the action from my golfer's perspective (swing camera view) for as long as I desire, then switch to a panning-reverse angle view at my discretion. I'd like to see the other golfers in my group, wherever they should be standing. I'd like to watch other golfers in my group play their shots from my golfer's perspective, not from their swing camera.

Here's a link to a video from July of last year. It's a feature on HB Studios, but if you fast-forward to the 2:45 mark, you'll see glimpses of a portion of a game action screen and a lengthy view of the course designer screen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWupEz_XEGY.

More details from a September The GP Golf Report article are here (EDIT: click only if you don't mind following on Twitter or Liking on Facebook, the author won't let you read it unconditionally now) - http://gpgolfreport.com/2013/09/10/no-tiger-woods-15-hb-studios-to-work-on-golf-game/.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #21 of 47 Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I'd love to read the article about the golf game but that links requires you to like and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter and I refuse to do that crap. I wish FB and Twitter would die.

Anyway, I'll give the game a try but I honestly don't have much hope that it will succeed. EA has more resources and still struggles to make the TW series a financial success. I've been buying TW since before it was called TW and I still enjoy the game for the most part. Yes, I wish it was more sim like but, the last 2 releases have made huge improvements in that department. I hope when EA releases there next version in 2015, for the new consoles, that they pick up where they left off with last years game and doesn't completely start over like they normally do when a new generation starts.

Right now, the only sports game I'm looking forward to on the PS4 is The Show, it is hands down the best baseball game to ever grace a console. That crap that 2K stuck us 360 owners with for all these years was a disgrace to the sport.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #22 of 47 Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

And what 2k made for the PS systems were masterpieces compared to what they made for Nintendos.
post #23 of 47 Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'd love to read the article about the golf game but that links requires you to like and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter and I refuse to do that crap. I wish FB and Twitter would die..

Uuuugh....that's something new. The requirement to like or follow wasn't there the first few times I read that article. I hate that crap myself. I won't be liking or following to read it again myself.

It will be interesting to see a new approach to golf from an entirely different developer. The Tiger Woods engine hard started backing up, IMO. I just got a PM from one of the devs in HB Studios official forum telling me that more information is coming very soon, FWIW. Nothing to hang my hat on yet though.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #24 of 47 Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I definitely understand what you are saying about TW but, I also think they mad some improvements the last few years that show some signs that they are finally listening to the sim crowd more. Of course, they'd screwed up other areas and there was always some bug that would suck the wind out of the game that would never get patched.

I look forward to seeing what HB Studios can bring to the table and if it is a better representation of the game of golf then that is what I'll play. Links 2004 on Xbox is still my favorite console golf game of all time.

I assume you also post over at OS, as do I.

post #25 of 47 Old 01-20-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

They sure aren't having that great of deals on the PS3 considering the ps4 is out. Blah. I hate to pay $225+ just to play one game. (well, at least a few games, as I would get ncaa 2014 and maybe a madden one and nba 2k possibly).
post #26 of 47 Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I enjoy TW14 quite a bit. I have to go back and finish my career, I'm still 6-7 majors short of the all-time record (kinda like Tiger).

But I didn't have a lot of problems with it. One thing they MUST do is:

- More random results when hitting out of rough and sand! As it stands, rough is no factor, cause you can just adjust accordingly. Results (direction and power) should have a random factor commensurate with the thickness of the rough. There's not NEARLY enough penalty currently.

I'm really jazzed about what it's gonna look like on next-gen - I thought the PS3 version was stunning in those early morning games. I'm probably more excited about this upcoming PGA game than any other game in 2014.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #27 of 47 Old 01-21-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I look forward to seeing what HB Studios can bring to the table and if it is a better representation of the game of golf then that is what I'll play.
All I know for sure is that HG Studios' golf game will be a fresh approach. Whether it is one I will like or not remains to be seen. I have a hunch that it will be good because nothing these guys have produced has been a clunker, but we don't know how good they are with a totally fresh design of their own.
Quote:
I assume you also post over at OS, as do I.
Yeah, I'm the same OD on OS. It's amazingly quiet over there on the golf front right now isn't it? I don't think I've ever seen golf gaming discussion as quiet as it's been since last summer. Not just at OS, but every other golf gaming forum I visit.

post #28 of 47 Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

I enjoy TW14 quite a bit. I have to go back and finish my career, I'm still 6-7 majors short of the all-time record (kinda like Tiger).

But I didn't have a lot of problems with it. One thing they MUST do is:

- More random results when hitting out of rough and sand! As it stands, rough is no factor, cause you can just adjust accordingly. Results (direction and power) should have a random factor commensurate with the thickness of the rough. There's not NEARLY enough penalty currently.
The diagonal swing interface in Tournament difficulty and higher is mostly what didn't register with me. Yes, it made the game more difficult, but it just felt a bit contrived to me. The diagonal movement just seemed to be way out of proportion with the result. I shouldn't have to swing diagonally to hit a straight ball. I also found the presentation to be way too rigid for the 9th iteration of a last-gen golf game, when it actually had its best presentation in Tiger Woods 10.
Quote:
I'm really jazzed about what it's gonna look like on next-gen - I thought the PS3 version was stunning in those early morning games. I'm probably more excited about this upcoming PGA game than any other game in 2014.
With so much more video ram and processing power to work with, we shouldn't see these limited, one-hole-at-a-time environments that caused shots to be OB, that shouldn't be OB. We also should see a lot more options on camera presentation. I'm excited for it, but I think our earliest glimpse at next-gen golf will be HB Studios' golf (still don't know its title yet) in May/June, followed by EA Sports PGA Tour Golf in March of 2015.

post #29 of 47 Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

Yeah, I'm the same OD on OS. It's amazingly quiet over there on the golf front right now isn't it? I don't think I've ever seen golf gaming discussion as quiet as it's been since last summer. Not just at OS, but every other golf gaming forum I visit.

I think it's quiet because there is no golf game coming from EA this year. The year off creates a golden opportunity for HB Studios because they now have a chance to steal away some of EA's audience if they can deliver a solid game. They need to start spreading the word and showing the game off though or it will fail before it even launches. They could start by giving it a name. If they release a game with good next gen graphics, realistic representation of golf (ball physics and such) and a course creator (something EA refuses to do), they could become the go to console golf game. At the very least it could have the PES effect on EA's golf game and force them to really make improvements like they did with FIFA.

Whenever EA releases there next PGA game, they better not do what they normally do at the start of a new generation of consoles. The game better have all the same features that are currently in the game, especially online country clubs. I don't think I have the patience to wait 3 or 4 years for all the features to finally reappear. It took them how many years to add playoffs back to the game when it was there on the PS2/Xbox? Releasing a bare bones game next year is unacceptable and I'll skip it if they do. EA can be lazy at times but, the year off give me hope.

Whatever happened to the game Perfect Golf? They showed some pretty good looking videos of the courses over a year ago but not a peep since, at least none that I've seen or read.

post #30 of 47 Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I've just been notified by the Senior Producer of HB Studios forthcoming golf game for the PS4 and XBox One will be announced tomorrow. From the information I've picked up thus far, it's sounding like a late Spring release. I just saw this video linked on Operation Sports.... WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZJ87BNR230

This is looking better than I'd ever imagined 8O It's time to get excited about console golf again!! Oh, and I forgot to mention... it will also have a course creation utility. It will be interesting to see if users can create courses that look as good as the courses in this video :idea:

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page