2Likes
  • 2 Post By TedSeattle

post #1 of 19 Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 80
A chance for Sega to redeem themselves after the travesty that was Colonial Marines. There is also a video on the Playstation Store under 'Coming Soon':

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/alien_isolation/preview-3552.html

I don't have high hopes after the Gearbox debacle, but I've always been a fan of the films. Best Aliens game I ever played was on the Atari Jaguar...actually made the console worth owning cool.gif

Its coming to both next gen platforms by end of year (supposedly).

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Decent YouTube Video with some game play and developer commentary. Can't listen in at work, but the fidelity & atmosphere in the game play looks pretty good. Way too early to tell though, learned that lesson from Colonial Marines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lkh0-jPfxs

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Best Aliens game I ever played was on the Atari Jaguar...actually made the console worth owning cool.gif

Its coming to both next gen platforms by end of year (supposedly).

Best Alien game I played was Alien Trilogy on the PS1. All the people stuck on the wall whispering "kill me" was creepy as hell.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx2k1 View Post

Best Alien game I played was Alien Trilogy on the PS1. All the people stuck on the wall whispering "kill me" was creepy as hell.

The best Alien game I ever played was the original Dead Space tongue.gif

Seriously though, Alien Trilogy on the PS1 was a lot of fun. I still remember completely geeking out when I came across the space jockey chamber; I just circled around the room checking out the space jockey from every angle for about 15 minutes.

AvP on the Jaguar was also good but as I recall the framerate was really low on that one and as a result the aim always felt stiff to me.

Alien Isolation looks promising but I have little faith in Sega releasing a quality original game these days. As Colonial Marines showed, A-List developers and promising videos mean absolutely nothing as the finished product look and play completely differently from what is promised. Sega was also responsible for releasing Rebellion's underwhelming Alien vs. Predator a few years ago (though I thought that game was actually better than Colonial Marines and at least had a few interesting gameplay wrinkles).

I'll follow development on Isolation but will wait for some reviews and not do a blind buy when it is released as I did with Colonial Marines.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yep. Play Deadspace. 'specially if you have a dark room and surround sound. I still need to play 2 and 3.
Aliens has become the new sonic the hedghog for Sega. You should know better but then you see a trailer and you get your hopes up but then. CRASH, BOOM go your hopes and dreams.
Yep. Just play Deadspace. I hope there's more cause that first Dead Space gave me the heebee jeebee's something awful.... in a good way.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-20-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Back on topic.

Looks like the premise of the game is Amanda Ripley against a lone xenomorph. And the game is single player only:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/445933/alien-isolation-screenshots-show-off-detailed-game-environments/

If done right , it could be extremely suspenseful. More & more it's looking like a rental @ best though.

BTW, I played Dead Space & loved it. Dead Space 2 less so. I refuse to pay EA anything for Dead Space 3 though...I read nothing good about the game & the trailers didn't look appealing at all.

Thats what I do.

post #7 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just as an FYI, I've played all the Dead Space games. The original is still the best one. Extraction (for the Wii and PS3) was a fun light gun style shooter. Dead Space 2 started veering away from survival horror and more towards action (though there were still a lot of very creepy sections especially one where you revisit a familiar ship). Dead Space 3 was much more action oriented and while still having elements of horror and some creepy corridor crawls (mainly thru the exploration of derelict ships in orbit around a planet) the focus was clearly on shooting. It had a great weapon crafting system however and I actually wound up having a good time with it for what it was. The whole Unitology angle also takes a bigger and bigger role with each game.

As for Alien Isolation, I like the fact that it is single player only but I'm not sold on the premise that each level is shaping up to be a "hide and seek" encounter where you already know that you won't be able to kill the xenomorph until the end of the game. I'm having a hard time figuring out how a full length game with that kind of a setup will be able to sustain your interest and maintain pace. Its one thing to get away with that kind of a scenario in a two our movie, but with a game that will hopefully last significantly longer I fear that tedium may set in.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think Dead Space 3 was interesting in one respect: when playing two-player co-op, there were segments where one player saw the environment differently than the other, because of hallucinatory effects created by the Marker. It was a genuinely cool experience to be commenting on the weird things you were seeing as you explored an empty room, and have your friend say, "What are you talking about?"
post #9 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 372
AvP Gold for PC was the best Alien game! wink.gif I still have my Jaguar and Alien game, though I'm a bit ashamed I bought that thing over a PS...

Isolation might be cool in an Outlast kind of way or it could be a boring hide n seek with massive amounts of pickups. Unless reviews are stellar I will probably wait till its cheap. Still haven't tried Colonial Marines but the last AvP that came out wasn't horrible.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

AvP Gold for PC was the best Alien game! wink.gif I still have my Jaguar and Alien game, though I'm a bit ashamed I bought that thing over a PS...

Isolation might be cool in an Outlast kind of way or it could be a boring hide n seek with massive amounts of pickups. Unless reviews are stellar I will probably wait till its cheap. Still haven't tried Colonial Marines but the last AvP that came out wasn't horrible.

Not nearly as ashamed as buying a 3DO! Road Rash, Gex, Primal Rage and Rebel Assault were all pretty cool at the time though...that assuaged my buyers remorse a tiny bit rolleyes.gif

I bought a dreamcast over the PS2 and I'd do it again! Almost every game they made for that system was awesome...& it had online play over a 56k built-in modem!!!

Thats what I do.

post #11 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Road Rash 2 I think was awesome, had it on Genesis maybe. Primal Rage arcade was where it was at.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Cautiously optimistic.

Needs to be more survival horror, than COD bang bang. Alien IP's too often try to use ALIENS, to ill effect.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

EDGE magazine has an article about the game:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/alone-in-the-dark-with-creative-assemblys-alien-isolation/
Quote:
“The alien is systemic across the board,” Napper says. “We can just drop the alien into an area and see how it behaves. It knows when it sees something and it knows when it just suspects something. It doesn’t have to be the player – it could investigate other things on the station. Obviously, we bookend certain areas to give you an objective, but most of the time the alien is in the world and it’s hunting you. You’ll acquire some abilities you can use to defend yourself for a while, but then suddenly the alien stops attacking you. It stops doing what you thought it was going to do. You’re looking at this alien and something’s changed. It learns.”

“It’s a living thing,” lead artist Jude Bond says. “We review the game every day in a darkened room, and every day someone shrieks and leaps out of their chair, because you don’t know what’s going to happen. Yes, it’s a piece of AI and it has parameters we can tune, but the alien’s network of behaviours is so insanely complicated, the thing is almost sentient. There’s a difference between artificial intelligence, where we know what its parameters and behaviours are at a glance, and it being so sentient we have to dig into the code just to find out why and how it did what it did during our playtests.”

We see the alien’s decision-making tree as a mess of possibilities laid out on the designer’s screen – a three-dimensional abstract explosion of decisions the creature can make on the fly. Your best option is always to hide; Ripley’s few defensive options will be swiftly learned and prompt increasingly dangerous and unpredictable reactions, sending the xenomorph into the vents, up to the ceiling, or even lying in ambush. But the very same intelligence that makes the alien so difficult for Creative Assembly to understand after those night-time playtests opens the door to exploitation by smart players.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

E3 trailer:
post #15 of 19 Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
this could be the alien game that puts aliens on the map in a positive way finally...

I hope so..
post #16 of 19 Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
This game is looking great, it looks like they've nailed the atmosphere of the first movie. Can't wait to play it.

According to IGN, this game is also one of the demos that can be played on Oculus Rift and they said it was one of the best VR demos they've played so far.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #17 of 19 Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Amazon is selling "last gen" for 49.99 and "current gen" for 59.99.

Release date currently @ 10/7/2014

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #18 of 19 Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62

Quote:
Sega has announced that almost the entire cast of 1979 movie classic Alien will reunite for new game Alien Isolation, in two special bonus missions only available if you pre-order.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/09/alien-...sions-4792286/

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #19 of 19 Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

A hands-on report from Kotaku:

~~~~~~~
One thing I noticed playing Alien Isolation was its unpredictability. Multiple replays showed the alien and other characters never did the same thing twice, which is entirely the point, explains creative lead Alistair Hope.

"We realised early on that if you could learn its behavior then it would stop being scary," explains Hope. "Hopefully you won't see any patterns because there aren't any". In my case that meant a few tense replays of a corridor section - patrolled by looters while the alien was... somewhere - that never played out the same way twice.

I died three or four times in the same stretch of corridor (hard to tell whether it needs better balancing or I was just rushed from demo time constraints) but it gave me an interesting perspective as I watched different hells break loose from the same locker hiding place. Something else happened every time: the alien ran left, people ran right, there was screaming I couldn't see, a man was picked up and his face bitten off in front of me. At one point the creature came right up to the grill forcing me to pull back on the pad and press buttons to hold my breath. It was all very varied and unpleasant.

The result was that outside of the locker, even on a third or forth replay, every step felt like the one that could kill me. As much as I loved Outlast (a game this plays a lot like) enemies settled into avoidable patterns all to easily, something that killed the tension as they dutifully patrolled invisible tracks in the floor. That doesn't seem to be the case here. "The joy for us is that you die, start again and it's like playing for the first time: you can't predict anything," explains Hope. "I think that's where a lot of the tension comes from. You always have to be on your toes".

But how does it work? How do you create a monster that isn't predictable? "I don't want to go too much under the hood because I think that might spoil some of how it might work," says Hope, immediately dampening my plans for a flow chart and a demo with pens on the table. "There's a number of things going on but there's no script, there's no pattern. The AI is just using its senses of sight and sound. When the alien is in a space it tries to find you or anything else it thinks is around. It's not completely black and white. It's not simply 'I can see you/I can't see you', it becomes suspicious of things, so there's an element of grey. It will go and investigate but then if it doesn't find you it will potentially go in a grate and travel through the world and appear somewhere else to investigate".
~~~~~~~

http://kotaku.com/alien-isolations-w...ien-1607096520
aaronwt and Johnny Mnemonic like this.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page