nope, 47
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes. Nintendo needs to get into mobile gaming. Sony does also. I'm speaking cellphone and tablets.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24 (King James Version)

PSN: IR_dgjr
post #33 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

They're already making the moves. Within a decade a good chunk might be using Azure "terminals" with everything running server side, including your friendly IT tech guy and the help desk. My place of work already contracts out to IBM, where a few years back we had our own IT guys. Now if a guy needs to come out we get charged, and there's always pressure to not have that happen, to "save money".

Microsoft is actually pushing the idea that any legacy programs will be supported through the cloud / emulation, rather than through windows and on site. Run anything from old mainframe code to XP to Windows 8.

Corporate goes to the cloud, home goes to your smart device be it tablet, phone, or smart screen. No idea when it'll happen, but it's the way the wind is blowing.

Seeing a good chunk of this already with Office 365. A lot of CFOs are seeing the "value" in moving to the cloud from a cost only perspective. The post migration experience however isn't always that pretty, but with the way Microsoft has it's service contract written a lot of companies aren't ditching the service right away. By the time the contract is set to renew, the client has already forgotten their woes or the master of the purse strings has decided the cost savings are better than the end-user frustration. Microsoft is doing a good job of limiting options and essentially forcing business into two models. Expensive on-premise setups or online hosted solutions w/limited features that will result in some sort of service or software upgrades.

Oddly it is causing me personally to start learning Linux properly.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #34 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Liked: 18
Up to about 3-4 months ago, I thought the Wii U was an expansion onto the Wii. Never seen any advertisements to it - never even seen it at someones house.

I feel the real problem with Nintendo is they have failed to keep up with the times and has fallen back, much like Blackberry in sticking with their 'roots'.

All the way up to the N64, everyone had a Nintendo, the next generation - Playstation 2 vs GameCube vs Microsoft, the games on the gamecube were subpar to its competition, very cartoon looking (which is not necessarily always a bad thing) while the others were going for more realistic which caught hte attention of the growing target audience.

Nintendo was still staying in the N64 era for games. It lost its appeal to the others. Sure, there are kids who would be interested, but if they have an older sibling/young father that enjoys gaming, they were probably looking at the Playstaiton or Xbox, which in turn persuaded the younger audience to what is 'cool'

As for the original post/title, there is no way I would think nor want Nintendo/PS to merge. Stay in your own backyard and keep the competition.... Until they have to change their strategy, which I feel it is going to be too late and they will only be a niche market player.

As for the gaming portion - I defintely would love to rock some of the emulator games on my PS4.

PSN (PS3/4) - Campy04
post #35 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Good points Hearzy. A lot of us grew up on Nintendo since it and Sega were the only game in town (bad pun is bad). Back then Nintendo had some violent games though they stepped back on Mortal Kombat. Eventually they went all Playskool and never looked back. Its hard for kids who have older relatives playing all the cool stuff and their stuck racing shells....
post #36 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 716
the thing is N has enough cash to basically write this gen off, but you have to wonder how long they can go with basically
1. little 3rd party support
2. subpar online gaming
3. "weak" hardware (by comparison)
4. gimmicky controls

one of the main reasons i wasn't interested in the wiiU was because of the wii. some of my favorite games of last gen was on the wii (zelda TP, mario galaxy, metroid), but i would play the wii for one game, beat it, trade it in and then my wii would sit for 6-12 months. So I thought i wonder how much money i would have saved if i would have waited until the end of the generation, bought the wii and the games, played them and got rid of them. So i will buy a wiiU, but after heavy discounts and it is basically dead, i will buy the mario/zelda games, beat them and then get rid of them..
post #37 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Liked: 832
N64 is where they started the trend to more "wholesome", family oriented games. for some reason that also meant to them easier, simpler mechanics. They'd release something more mature every now and then, but it's pretty obvious they thought the good business plan would be to cater to the kids and be the "first" console for each new upcoming generation. Hell, their latest WiiU advertising is the same ship. Nintendo would be a kids primary console, and because of that brand identity it continue being older games second consoles for their Nintendo IP fix (Mario, Metroid, Zelda) with the occasional adult oriented exclusive.

Problem is tablets and mobile kinda threw a wrench into that. I also think, like you guys said above, they're underestimating just how proficient young kids can be with games and how unfair they see it as their brothers or parents are tooling around with something that looks "real life" in comparison.

I beat Super Mario Brothers when I was 7. Same with Mario 3. Then there's the whole host of terribly hard old games that were made in a era that was designed to pump as many coins into arcade machines as possible. Some were too hard, but for the most part me and the friends kept at it. Nintendo games of today are cakewalks in comparison.
post #38 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Little Big Planet and LBP Racing take a toll too. Each console has an equivalent even if its Indie. So you may not be on Mario but its real close.
post #39 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Nintendo who?

Honestly, I don't care what happens to Nintendo, I haven't played or bought a Nintendo product in over 7 years. My daughter has lived her entire life (6 years old) without seeing a Nintendo product come through our door, she's a PS4 girl now (we rock Lego Marvel Super Heroes together). She knows who Knack is but doesn't have a clue who Mario is, probably has never even seen Mario. Nintendo has lost touch with everything, they proved that when they released the Wii U, a console no one was asking for or wanted because they just don't get it anymore. I don't think they'll ever "get it" again and honestly I'm not going to miss them, same way I don't miss Sega.

The nostalgic side of me hates to see what has happened to these companies because I also grew up playing there consoles but, at least Sega get's it: I just purchased Sonic the Hedgehog on my iPhone a few weeks ago. I'd gladly buy Super Mario Bros. on my iPhone if Nintendo ever gets its head out of the sand but, I'll never buy a Nintendo console just to play Mario.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #40 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Nintendo who?

Honestly, I don't care what happens to Nintendo, I haven't played or bought a Nintendo product in over 7 years. My daughter has lived her entire life (6 years old) without seeing a Nintendo product come through our door, she's a PS4 girl now (we rock Lego Marvel Super Heroes together). She knows who Knack is but doesn't have a clue who Mario is, probably has never even seen Mario. Nintendo has lost touch with everything, they proved that when they released the Wii U, a console no one was asking for or wanted because they just don't get it anymore. I don't think they'll ever "get it" again and honestly I'm not going to miss them, same way I don't miss Sega.

The nostalgic side of me hates to see what has happened to these companies because I also grew up playing there consoles but, at least Sega get's it: I just purchased Sonic the Hedgehog on my iPhone a few weeks ago. I'd gladly buy Super Mario Bros. on my iPhone if Nintendo ever gets its head out of the sand but, I'll never buy a Nintendo console just to play Mario.

This is precisely my point stated above. They failed to captivate the crowd they had with the Nintendo generation who is now still playing and making purchases for the younger crowd. All they know is Sony and/or Xbox. Personally I do not want to see them go tits-up, but such is life in the technology field. Make money while the sun shines because in the competitive field they are in, one slip-up makes you a nobody.

Countless times you see this happen...

When I think of Nintendo, I think of "retro" or the kids game console which was their own doing.

PSN (PS3/4) - Campy04
post #41 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I love Nintendo. I grew up on NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64. I, however, have not ever been completely satisfied since with any of the more recent consoles they have delivered. There have been of course some shining examples that have set benchmarks for gameplay....but there has always been just as many or more inexplicable missteps

I read an article on IGN recently about how when they were designing the online infrastructure for the Wii U, and in a meeting some of the developers hired mentioned to the execs things about how Xbox Live & Playstation Network functioned - AND THE CORPORATE GUYS IN CHARGE HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEIR COMPETITORS ONLINE NETWORK WAS LIKE AT ALL. Xbox Live? What's that?

Talk about being completely in the dark...everyone at Nintento who literally has no clue at all about gaming today should be dismissed immediately. That would go a long way towards getting back on track. Hire some guys away from the competition if you need to. Put more emphasis on development in America if all the Nintendo execs are clueless old feudal lords in Japan (I mean that shouldn't be the case because Sony has it together). Just do something RIGHT and release a console ON PAR with the specs of the competition

I love my Wii U but I do wish they would stay current with the competition as far as hardware goes

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #42 of 42 Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anytime I am about to write off Nintendo, they come up with something,, case in point, the Wii. It dominated its generation in sales and market share as casual gamers bought them by the truckload. I still don't get the novelty of it but to each their own.

Where Nintendo can still do well is the casual gamer market - housewives,young kids, etc. Microsoft and Sony are offering essentially the same console to most of the public while Nintendo can still differentiate itself and still has valuable brands like Mario, etc.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page