The Golf Club - Sim golf comes to Playstation 4 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #31 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Pitching is incredibly hard, but maybe I'm just missing something. Controlling distance is difficult. No prob driving the ball, iron play is pretty easy, just couldn't get a feel for the short game.

Fun, ghost play is cool.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Agreed, I haven't quite "got" pitching yet. But mostly I adjust the L2 loft of the club (and switch clubs) to get as close to dialed in as I can, while still swinging 100%.

Putting is still the hardest part for me. I can't seem to consistently putt. Sometimes, I roll a 24-footer right up to the hole, and then I'll blast a 3-footer 10 feet past. It's a bit frustrating, but so is real putting I guess (shrug).

There's a pretty darned good copy of Pebble Beach out there, called Stone Reach. It's one of the highest rated courses, you can't miss it if you search by Highest Rated. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be Pebble until I got to hole 7, and it clicked in my head. The next few holes confirmed it. Tough stretch there going out at Pebble man. I finished strong, with birdies at 17 and 18 - very fun. I think I was still 7 or 8 over.

Really enjoying the game overall though, for sure.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Last edited by Chairman7w; 08-31-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #33 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post
Agreed, I haven't quite "got" pitching yet. But mostly I adjust the L2 loft of the club (and switch clubs) to get as close to dialed in as I can, while still swinging 100%.

Putting is still the hardest part for me. I can't seem to consistently putt. Sometimes, I roll a 24-footer right up to the hole, and then I'll blast a 3-footer 10 feet past. It's a bit frustrating, but so is real putting I guess (shrug).

There's a pretty darned good copy of Pebble Beach out there, called Atacama (I think). It's one of the highest rated courses, you can't miss it if you search by Highest Rated. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be Pebble until I got to hole 7, and it clicked in my head. The next few holes confirmed it. Tough stretch there going out at Pebble man. I finished strong, with birdies at 17 and 18 - very fun. I think I was still 7 or 8 over.

Really enjoying the game overall though, for sure.
Ok, I didn't mess with the loft yet. That's a good tip for distance control since it's hard to gauge the power via backswing. Need to start shaping shots aggressively i guess. I chipped way too many balls into sand traps and water hazards.

Pinehurst was brutally hard, I was +15 over on that one my first go. Managed +5 over the next time, but I lost a lot of shots around the green because of my short game sucks.

I wish there were golf carts to drive around
slyderulz and Chairman7w like this.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #34 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 854
I don't have the game but considering it. I was wondering with the talk of new courses, are they free? Or do you have to purchase more courses?

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #35 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing free.

They better be free.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #36 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

No, each course you play (other than the 6 that some with it) are .99 each.

(pause)

JUST KIDDING!!! That's the main allure of this game - they're ALL free!!! And the course creator is as easy as hitting ONE button! The courses are truly unlimited!

post #37 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
I don't have the game but considering it. I was wondering with the talk of new courses, are they free? Or do you have to purchase more courses?
Free, most are user created. You build a course then publish it and even though we are on PS4, X1 and PC guys can play your courses to. There are already some fantastic courses out there (I assume built mostly buy PC guys with early access) but, the in game search isn't great. I found most by following the offical TGC forums, OS and that pocketscout.us site.

I read on OS that the patch has been released and that it fixes the stuttering. Can't wait to play tonight.

What is you guys PSN ID, I don't think you're on my list yet (directed at anyone who has posted in this thread)?
Chairman7w likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017

Last edited by rolltide1017; 08-28-2014 at 03:03 PM.
post #38 of 468 Old 08-28-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there an Augusta clone?

Went to play last night and the game was gone. Had to redownload with the update.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT

Last edited by Spanglo; 08-29-2014 at 09:25 AM.
post #39 of 468 Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 221
does this use motion control or gamepad?
post #40 of 468 Old 08-29-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
does this use motion control or gamepad?
Right stick (back, then forward).

I have gone into settings and switched mine to left stick, since that's what I'm used to with TW14.

post #41 of 468 Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
Is there an Augusta clone?
Not sure, haven't searched for one yet.

I hope that, in the future, they improve the in game search for courses. I don't like how you have to go to "Play" then choose you golfer then finally get to the search screen. I wish they had a course search selection right on the main menu, that way you could quickly search for course and add them to your favorites list. Which brings me to my next wish, I wish there was some type of course preview that offered a handful of screenshots that you could view before selecting a course.

Oh, the patch made a world of difference. The game is almost perfectly smooth now, the stuttering is gone. I'm also getting the hang of it, maybe. Shot -7 under on that easy course with creek in the name. It may be an easy course but it lets you get a good feel for the game. I then went and played a course labeled as hard or hardest (forget which) and shot +8 which is the best I've done on a medium or hard course. Have been closer to +20 until that round. Can't remember the course I played but it was a good test and the wind was 16mph the whole round. My only gripe was that a few of the greens were getting close to being unrealistic.

That leads me to my one gripe with some of the harder user created course, some greens are borderline ridiculous. One of the biggest complaints about the last TW was the "circus" pins, where the hole would be on the side of a hill that made it near impossible to stop your ball anywhere near the hole. It was an artificial way for EA to increase the difficulty without addressing the core gameplay problems. This course was no where near as bad as the last TW game but, a few holes came close IMO. I just hope users don't start trying to make goofy greens just to force higher scores. I rated this course a 7 because of those few greens, otherwise I would have given it something closer to a 9 because it was a fun course.

post #42 of 468 Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

This game is challenging.

Just watched one of the tutorial videos and learned you can control distance with the back swing and the forward swipe. I knew the back swing mattered, but had no idea the forward swipe determines club head speed as well. That explains a few mi****s I've had where I took a full swing and the ball came up way short.

My short game is improving slightly. Started using the lob wedge flop for every shot under 30 yards, and that has gained me some positive results. Figure I'll master that club then move on to the next.
Chairman7w likes this.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #43 of 468 Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumanzc View Post
Waiting for a new Hot Shots Golf. I know it's cartoony and stuff but found the physics engine far superior to TW.
Amen bro, Hot Shots Golf is the best, I cannot believe they have not even announced HSG for the PS4. HSG Out of Bounds is still one of my favorite games on the ps3.
post #44 of 468 Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Figure I'll master that club then move on to the next.
I can't tell if you are joking or not. What, are going to get 500 kills with it and move on to the pitching wedge? (Actually, that sounds like a good idea for a game..."Death Golf". "Battlegolf"..." Golf Duty".)

I'll try to download it soon.

Create your own course/map/level doubles my interest in a game I think.
post #45 of 468 Old 08-29-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post
I can't tell if you are joking or not. What, are going to get 500 kills with it and move on to the pitching wedge? (Actually, that sounds like a good idea for a game..."Death Golf". "Battlegolf"..." Golf Duty".)

I'll try to download it soon.

Create your own course/map/level doubles my interest in a game I think.
Yeah wish it had guns I'd probably do better. Tough game. Played some rounds earlier and shot worse than I do in real life.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #46 of 468 Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I kind of hope that we can rate the game 2 ways. One for likeness and the other for difficulty. Me and Hapi played a course last night that said Medium but was by far the hardest I have played. I shot 29 over, I had 2 back to back pars and thought maybe I was finally doing ok but that ended fast. I rated it a little lower than I would of liked due to the fact that it was not Medium difficulty at all, but it was a nice course. Just not for beginners.

post #47 of 468 Old 08-30-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I've also noticed that the effect of sidehill lies is much more pronounced now. Heck, I'm not even sure it was taken into account, pre-patch, but it sure is now. And that's a very good thing. Love it.

I just played a +2 round at Tomahawk Golf Course. Man, what a beaut. I really dig that course, props to the creator, very nice. Will add to my favorites for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Not sure, haven't searched for one yet.

I hope that, in the future, they improve the in game search for courses. I don't like how you have to go to "Play" then choose you golfer then finally get to the search screen. I wish they had a course search selection right on the main menu, that way you could quickly search for course and add them to your favorites list. Which brings me to my next wish, I wish there was some type of course preview that offered a handful of screenshots that you could view before selecting a course.

Oh, the patch made a world of difference. The game is almost perfectly smooth now, the stuttering is gone. I'm also getting the hang of it, maybe. Shot -7 under on that easy course with creek in the name. It may be an easy course but it lets you get a good feel for the game. I then went and played a course labeled as hard or hardest (forget which) and shot +8 which is the best I've done on a medium or hard course. Have been closer to +20 until that round. Can't remember the course I played but it was a good test and the wind was 16mph the whole round. My only gripe was that a few of the greens were getting close to being unrealistic.

That leads me to my one gripe with some of the harder user created course, some greens are borderline ridiculous. One of the biggest complaints about the last TW was the "circus" pins, where the hole would be on the side of a hill that made it near impossible to stop your ball anywhere near the hole. It was an artificial way for EA to increase the difficulty without addressing the core gameplay problems. This course was no where near as bad as the last TW game but, a few holes came close IMO. I just hope users don't start trying to make goofy greens just to force higher scores. I rated this course a 7 because of those few greens, otherwise I would have given it something closer to a 9 because it was a fun course.

post #48 of 468 Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Rolltide I was rushing through that course, which I actually did better once I started rushing. The wife wanted some happy time. I was hoping to stay on and play another round. I really dug the course and want to play it again.

Really enjoying the game. I found myself wanting to play all day today.

post #49 of 468 Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My bad guys, I called that Pebble Beach clone Atacama. It's actually "Stone Reach Golf Links" which comes with it.

post #50 of 468 Old 08-31-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

McArthur Village Golf Club is the devil! +22 is my best score thus far.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #51 of 468 Old 08-31-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
McArthur Village Golf Club is the devil! +22 is my best score thus far.
Yep thats the one

post #52 of 468 Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
Yep thats the one
The greens are medium but the course is rated hardest. So that sounds about right.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #53 of 468 Old 09-01-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The greens are medium but the course is rated hardest. So that sounds about right.

I know I saw medium somewhere. I would of never chose it if I saw it at hardest level.

post #54 of 468 Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Well, I finally got up the nerve to publish the course I've been messing around with. It's nothing spectacular, but I feel it's better than a few of the random courses I've tried. If anyone wants to check it out, search for Balmorea Woods.
Spanglo likes this.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #55 of 468 Old 09-02-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Sounds like everyone's enjoying this game so far, and the first patch cured some issues. Not sure about a couple things though:

How many courses are included with the game, and are any of them real life locations?

Is all the stat tracking and scoring on the online leaderboards or is there a local/friends stats menu as well?

Since some PS4 games run very quiet in this regard- how's the voice chat?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #56 of 468 Old 09-04-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
Sounds like everyone's enjoying this game so far, and the first patch cured some issues. Not sure about a couple things though:

How many courses are included with the game, and are any of them real life locations?

Is all the stat tracking and scoring on the online leaderboards or is there a local/friends stats menu as well?

Since some PS4 games run very quiet in this regard- how's the voice chat?

100's of courses, mostly player made, but some real ones in there.

Surprisingly I haven't been looking at stats, cuz I'm a stat whore, so I don't know the extent of it, but when you play a course it'll show your friend's scores and let you play with their ghosts. There's also a personal stats, but they didn't seem comprehensive or accurate.

Only have used party chat - seemed fine.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #57 of 468 Old 09-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm having a blast with this game, for some reason i can mimic my real life golf game. Hooks at inopportune moments, slices right into the water, not paying attention to the wind, what they need is a mulligan button.

psn: ashunte
post #58 of 468 Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
100's of courses, mostly player made, but some real ones in there.

Surprisingly I haven't been looking at stats, cuz I'm a stat whore, so I don't know the extent of it, but when you play a course it'll show your friend's scores and let you play with their ghosts. There's also a personal stats, but they didn't seem comprehensive or accurate.

Only have used party chat - seemed fine.
Thanks for the info. Glad there's some developer made, real courses in there. The custom stuff can be fun but a sim needs at least a couple of actual courses.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #59 of 468 Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

When I pull up course search menu, it says at the bottom that there are already over 3000 courses.

I would say the stat tracking is okay, plus there are a few bugs that they are working out in the next patch. I'm not sure you can view your friend's stats, you can see their scores on each course they've played and each course has it's on leaderboard that can be sorted by global, friends, etc.

The game does not support in-game voice chat, you must use party chat.

post #60 of 468 Old 09-05-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 857
I love a good golf game so I decided to snag this one. About to start the download.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area