AVS Forum banner

The Golf Club - Sim golf comes to Playstation 4

18K views 491 replies 30 participants last post by  mphfrom77 
#1 ·
This is pretty much a copy of the same thread I started in the XBox forum here for this game. I haven't made up my mind which console to buy yet, but this game is going to have sharable content (courses) between platforms, and I'm pretty sure will also allow for "ghost" mode (as in recorded rounds) play between platforms. It will be the closest thing we've seen yet to crossplay.

I had seen a You Tube video late last summer about a next-gen golf game in development by HB Studios. That game now has a name - The Golf Club, a website http://thegolfclubgame.com

A killer gameplay video http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/11/gameplay-video/ ,

A course creation tool http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/11/intro-to-the-course-creator-2/ and a release window (Spring of 2014).

There's so much to say about this game based on the assets that were disclosed late yesterday and early today. The feature list is just too lengthy to cover here, but I'll highlight a few that interest me:

INTUITIVE CONTROL SYSTEM

We’ve created and fine tuned a swing mechanic that is more about feeling and fluidity above the users’ accuracy of hitting a marker on a power bar.

And course creation options from the low level, "generic" randomly generate a course and do low level to high level modifications on it as described below:

GENERATE COURSES

With four clicks of a button from the main menu the game will generate for you a never been played before course. The variation is infinite!

If you don’t like the course that’s been generated, one click and you can generate a new one.

If you want to tailor the courses a little more there are high-level options available to you. Examples of these are the number of holes, par distribution, fairway width, number of bunkers, green size, green slope and rough coverage.

For the Links 2003, Tiger Woods PGA Tour mouse and keyboard designers, the high level option as described below:

EDIT AND CREATE YOUR OWN COURSES

If you have a particular course in mind, want to use your creative skills to create something from scratch or edit something the generator has created for you the game also has an in-depth editor.

The editor gives you the ability of create from scratch or mould anything on the course. You can alter the terrain, move tees, move greens, move holes, delete holes, add holes, bunkers, rivers, ponds, trees, foliage, buildings, animals and other objects.

During editing you can play the ball from any spot to review holes and make changes as you see fit. The minimal loading times make this practical and enjoyable.

These online options below surpass my wildest imagination - this game is truly going to be "live" online, if you desire:

ONLINE SHARING AND PLAY

Play against others live or from the past - each round you play on every course is saved Online. Choose from Friends Rounds, Record Rounds or Rivals Rounds (others players close to your ability) to compete against. Their ghost balls and scores will be visible throughout your round giving you the feeling of competition without losing the instantaneous game play. Ghost and live balls can be hidden if so desired either selectively or en masse.

Compete in Tours and Tournaments – play against other players throughout the world in user made tours and tournaments.

Watch others play the courses you’re on live – through our Echo Ball System you can see other users from around the world on the course that you are playing live, even if they’re on different holes.

And to think, I was starting to think we weren't going to get an attempt at a realistic golf game until March, 2015, with EA Sports' next PGA Tour offering!? This game could wind up being the MLB: The Show, of console golf games! And btw, it's also coming out for the PS4 and PC, and will feature cross play!

See less See more
Reactions: DominikSKupina
#4 ·
They were teasing us a bit on the course creator video. They wouldn't show the chip shot.

As awesome as this is, it's going to come down to play difficulty and realism. I remember how awesome I thought TW10 was on PS3, but then guys were shooting 55-58 on a consistent basis, and it just wasn't that cool any more.

I PRAY they get a handle on that kind of stuff.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w  /t/1513496/the-golf-club-sim-golf-comes-to-playstation-4#post_24253809

They were teasing us a bit on the course creator video. They wouldn't show the chip shot.

Yes, I wondered why we didn't get to see a chip shot myself. I think it would be very telling about how steeped the game is towards realism in execution and physics!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay  /t/1513496/the-golf-club-sim-golf-comes-to-playstation-4#post_24254141

Chairman7w, I've submitted a request for a video showing a chip shot from start to finish in the "Presentation and Camera Options" thread of the official forum.

Cool, thanks. Unless I hear something horribly terrible about this game, it's a Day 1 buy for me.

I'm gonna go on a limb and predict it won't be out till July.

#9 ·
Everything about this game looks pretty good so far and the graphics are beautiful. My only disappointment is the lack of real courses included in the game but, I understand there reasoning (start-up franchise, wanted to avoid licensing fees).

I could have sworn I saw a pitch shot in one of the videos.

I finally watched the course creator video and that looks amazing. Back in the Links days, I never created any courses because I didn't have the patience or the artistic skills to do a good job, but I loved playing courses others created. It looks like the took a more simcity style approach to creating courses which makes it immediately more accessible to someone like me. It will also be very interesting to see what some of the more creative people come up with. I bet there will be some folks who spend most of there time creating course instead of playing a round of golf.

Part of what made Links so great was the community aspect and all the course sharing which has been absent from console golf games. If HB Studios succeeds, this could change the landscape of console golf games forever. They look to be tailor this game towards the wants and dreams of the sim golf fans, something EA has never been fully interested in doing. Who needs PGA licenses when you can create your own tours and tournaments and play on an infinite number of course only limited by the imaginations of the community. The course creator just opens up a world of possibilities never seen at the console level before and if it rekindles some of that old Links magic, HB Studios could have a hit here. If HB Studios pulls this off, I don't see how I could give EA money without a course creator, even though EA will include 20 - 30 real courses in there game.

I really hope they can pull this off, it's looking good so far. EA has got to be a little nervous, they lose there partnership with the biggest name in golf, take a year break and now someone comes along and looks to be including many of the features the hardcore crowd have been dreaming about for years.

I really hope you can turn off the ball trails, I've always hated that kind of stuff.

It's funny how there forum has exploded in the last day or so. I checked it out on Monday I think and there was only 5 threads or so, now there are 2 pages of threads. Going to sign up now.

#10 ·
The only thing that looks off in the trailer is the pause they take at the top of their backswing. It just seems a little long. That would throw my swing off in real life if I did that.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017  /t/1513496/the-golf-club-sim-golf-comes-to-playstation-4#post_24255791

EA has got to be a little nervous, they lose there partnership with the biggest name in golf, take a year break and now someone comes along and looks to be including many of the features the hardcore crowd have been dreaming about for years.

InB4 EA buys them outright. No more competition.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w  /t/1513496/the-golf-club-sim-golf-comes-to-playstation-4#post_24253809

As awesome as this is, it's going to come down to play difficulty and realism. I remember how awesome I thought TW10 was on PS3, but then guys were shooting 55-58 on a consistent basis, and it just wasn't that cool any more.

I PRAY they get a handle on that kind of stuff.

Would be cool if they had a league for motion control only devices.

EA needs a shake up, it's the only way they actually put some effort into their sports games

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner  /t/1513496/the-golf-club-sim-golf-comes-to-playstation-4#post_24255866

The only thing that looks off in the trailer is the pause they take at the top of their backswing. It just seems a little long. That would throw my swing off in real life if I did that.
I think this might be due to the way their swing interface works. It's completely analog at this point and apparently, there's a unique wrinkle in HB Studios' swing interface. I noticed a feature bullet on their website that read thusly: "We’ve created and fine tuned a swing mechanic that is more about feeling and fluidity above the users’ accuracy of hitting a marker on a power bar."

I emphasized feeling and fluidity because it sounds like a good swing will put a bit of a premium on what I think will equate to rhythm. It may be that whoever was controlling the golfers in the video we saw have that lingering pause at the top of their 'thumbstick' backswing. They've somehow developed a cadence that works for them and the interface translates that as their rhythm. Other swings may vary in appearance from those in the video, depending on the tendencies and preferences of the individual gamer. This is all my speculation, but there's more to this than meets the eye...

#14 ·
That could be true. I'm just hoping that much pause isn't expected to get the best results.

#15 ·
New details and a PS4 trailer were released yesterday:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/06/the-golf-club-comes-to-ps4-this-summer/

This sounds interesting:
Quote:
Since The Golf Club relies so heavily on user-generated content, discovery of that content is going to be a key problem to solve. Besides the rating and filtering system available in game, we are planning to have curated selections and selections based on your performance and preferences surfaced onto your PS4 dashboard in the form of live tiles. Featured courses, courses by your friends, and other suggestions will appear right on your dashboard – making it easy to see all the action happening in The Golf Club!

#16 ·
Okay PS4 gamers, here's the news you've been waiting for:

"We can officially announce that The Golf Club will be available for purchase and download on the PlayStation Store in North America on next Tuesday, August 26, 2014! The price will be $34.99

For Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, we have not yet finalized the release date. However, we are 95% sure the game will be coming the following week, the week beginning September 1st, in those territories. We will know more definitively next week, and we will officially announce it here, and everywhere, the moment we know.

We are very excited to welcome our PlayStation players to The Club, and we can't wait to see what you do with the Greg Norman Course Designer and to play a few rounds with you."

I'm anxious to read your reports on it, as I've decided to buy a PS4 to play TGC on in 1080p, after the first update comes out for it that allows optional swing camera angles and user select-able point to switch from golfer perspective view to follow camera at any point in the shot. That update should be out by the end of September, from what I'm gathering.

#17 ·
Awesome!! Thanks for the good news!! I will download as soon as I'm able! Look me up and friend me on PSN: Chairman7w

Let's get some games in!

#22 ·
I'm curious guys, what time of the day does the Playstation Store typically make their digital games available for download on launch day?

#25 ·
I was able to play a few hours last night. I randomly generated and played a course using the Autumn theme (red, orange, yellow). During the hole fly-over previews, I noticed a lot of pop-in. I then generated another course using the Rural theme (mostly green) and did not notice the pop-in nearly as much.

The game seemed to play quite smoothly. Still trying to get the hang of how to judge a less than 100% swing. Putting is decent. I sank a 43 foot putt on the third hole I played, and then proceeded to suck most of the rest of the round (just like in real life).

The course editor is very fun. I spent way too much time adding and changing bunkers. I had some water in a area that did not make much sense. So, I used the sculpt terrain tool to raise the earth a few feet higher. In a few seconds I had an extra 20 yards of fairway. Sky is the limit...

#26 · (Edited)
I've played a few rounds and it's about what I expected (having paid close attention to the development, play comments and reviews over the past several months).

Some quick thoughts:

- I like it! Will certainly continue to play and get my money's worth
- I've gotten a few rounds in and I dig it, for sure
- It's a bit rough around the edges
- I like the speed of the game. Can get in a round in about 20-25 minutes
- I DO wish they'd stop anticipating what club they *think* I want to use off the tee! A few times I've tee'd off thinking I had the driver but didn't. Pay close attention to that.
- Physics seem pretty good. Nothing has jumped out at me as stupid or fake
- Some courses do seem to have a lot of pop in
- It performs less well than I expected on PS4 (no deal breakers, but noticeable)
- Putting is appropriately tough
- Putting is yet surprisingly easy to gauge distance-wise (never had any WAY short or WAY long)
- LOVE the course variety and creator - That will certainly give this a long life
- I wish I had the time to create cool courses. I'll settle for exploring and playing others creations
- kblee, I don't bother trying to swing less than 100%. I just L2 and adjust the loft to add or reduce distance (Always swing 100% crew, checking in)
- I think we're all in agreement here that it's a solid first effort, and a great foundation for an awesome golf game (in 2015?)

#28 ·
No, it's not just the trailer. Like I said above, it's got some rough edges. And that's one of them. :)

#30 ·
I've played 6 rounds on different courses so far and have only score below +10 once! I love this game! Finally, a console developer that understands the game of golf!

I agree with Chairman7w, there are some rough edges and I sure some of those will get ironed out through patches but, some may not but, I don't care because they nailed the core gameplay!

Seriously, I play almost as bad as I do in real life... and I'm having a blast! This is the first console golf game where you have to actually think about your shots. Even on TW's most difficult setting, you could manage a decent score by just gripping and ripping. Not this game, you'll find yourself in all kinds of trouble on some of the medium and hard courses if you do that. I know from experience, I might score better if I'd slow down a little. Fairway bunkers finally play like real fairway bunkers, no more hitting a 3W out of a bunker with great success like in TW. The rough is the same way, it plays like real life. You miss the fairway, especially in deep rough, your next shot just got harder. Putting is almost perfect IMO, it feels like I have a real putter in my hand. The second I make my swing I can tell if I hit it to hard or soft or nailed it. It is a very rewarding feeling. Chipping is the only shot that feels odd to me, which means they probably nailed this shot, because I suck at chipping in real life as well.

You'll never run out of new courses to play thanks to the course generator (which I haven't even touched yet). Here is a great site that does course reviews http://www.pocketscout.us.

Here is a course that I found thatnks to that site and it was a lot of fun to play: Hitchens Valley Hotel and Golf.

HB Studios has created a golf game, in there first attempt, that is light years ahead of the TW serious when it comes to the core gameplay. No fluff, just pure golf!

And this game is only $35, you can't beat this value IMO.

#32 · (Edited)
Agreed, I haven't quite "got" pitching yet. But mostly I adjust the L2 loft of the club (and switch clubs) to get as close to dialed in as I can, while still swinging 100%.

Putting is still the hardest part for me. I can't seem to consistently putt. Sometimes, I roll a 24-footer right up to the hole, and then I'll blast a 3-footer 10 feet past. It's a bit frustrating, but so is real putting I guess (shrug).

There's a pretty darned good copy of Pebble Beach out there, called Stone Reach. It's one of the highest rated courses, you can't miss it if you search by Highest Rated. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be Pebble until I got to hole 7, and it clicked in my head. The next few holes confirmed it. Tough stretch there going out at Pebble man. I finished strong, with birdies at 17 and 18 - very fun. I think I was still 7 or 8 over.

Really enjoying the game overall though, for sure.

#33 ·
Agreed, I haven't quite "got" pitching yet. But mostly I adjust the L2 loft of the club (and switch clubs) to get as close to dialed in as I can, while still swinging 100%.

Putting is still the hardest part for me. I can't seem to consistently putt. Sometimes, I roll a 24-footer right up to the hole, and then I'll blast a 3-footer 10 feet past. It's a bit frustrating, but so is real putting I guess (shrug).

There's a pretty darned good copy of Pebble Beach out there, called Atacama (I think). It's one of the highest rated courses, you can't miss it if you search by Highest Rated. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be Pebble until I got to hole 7, and it clicked in my head. The next few holes confirmed it. Tough stretch there going out at Pebble man. I finished strong, with birdies at 17 and 18 - very fun. I think I was still 7 or 8 over.

Really enjoying the game overall though, for sure.
Ok, I didn't mess with the loft yet. That's a good tip for distance control since it's hard to gauge the power via backswing. Need to start shaping shots aggressively i guess. I chipped way too many balls into sand traps and water hazards.

Pinehurst was brutally hard, I was +15 over on that one my first go. Managed +5 over the next time, but I lost a lot of shots around the green because of my short game sucks.

I wish there were golf carts to drive around :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.