Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS3 / PS4) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #91 of 136 Old 10-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardinguy100 View Post
So I'm 10%in and have played 8 hrs so far. This game is awesome. I haven't played many of the missions yet, however I'm going to start soon.
There is one thing I am having trouble with and that's how to finish a captain by beheading him. I never seem to get the option so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have killed several already and because I don't behead them they come back. My most recent experience is with Zog the effin Claw. He killed me three times in a row(mostly becuse reinforcements arrive just when he's almost toast). He leveled all the way up to 18. So I isolated him and took him on one on one and was watching my hit counter expecting for a combat finisher except it never came and I ended up stabbing him. 10 min later there he is. All in all this game is super fun and I love that there is so much other stuff to do. This is probably the first game like this where I haven't just plowed through the main storyline.
I got about 12 hours in and am only at 8 percent. It's hard because all you want to do is run around and fight the captains to get your pimp hand strong.

I too am struggling w the same thing as you though. I probably killed 12 plus captains before I realized they come back if u dont kill them the right way. Then I killed 4 or 5 more with wrong information obtained from another website (saying you have to grab them and do the after-interrogation kill to permanently kill). I have been unable to do the Triangle and O button finishing move to see if indeed that is the correct way to do it; that info I got from a gamers youtube video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post
I got about 12 hours in and am only at 8 percent. It's hard because all you want to do is run around and fight the captains to get your pimp hand strong.

I too am struggling w the same thing as you though. I probably killed 12 plus captains before I realized they come back if u dont kill them the right way. Then I killed 4 or 5 more with wrong information obtained from another website (saying you have to grab them and do the after-interrogation kill to permanently kill). I have been unable to do the Triangle and O button finishing move to see if indeed that is the correct way to do it; that info I got from a gamers youtube video.
Right on Good to know I'm not the only one. I assume you need to do the finishing move to behead them as I had done it successfully a number of times on lesser opponents, however I can't seem to do it on captains. Maybe someone who is farther into the game can give us some feedback. At any rate I'm having a blast especially with the brutal stealth kill.
post #93 of 136 Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Killed 3rd Warchief last night!! (with my son's help! LOL)

One more, then I can progress. I've been stuck at this dang mission for days.
Mikazaru likes this.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #94 of 136 Old 10-16-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FINALLY killed that fourth Warchief!! YES!! Luckily, he was afraid of fire,and when I blew up a fire barrell near him, he ran off and I was able to isolate him that way. Whew!

AND the patch dropped with the new Photo Mode - How freakin' cool is that?!!! God I wish all games had this! I'll gonna have a blast with this. I messed around a little bit with it last night:

DaverJ and Crash44 like this.

post #95 of 136 Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am about 22+ hours in (Branding all 5 Warchiefs now) and the best way to behead is to get your Sword glowing Blue (I have my Sword turn Blue for executions after 5 hits instead of 8. Makes it easier). and hit them with that when their Health is low and this usually beheads them easily (Glowing Sword is for Executions). I behead Captains, Elite Captains and Warchiefs with no problems. Once beheaded their followers run in terror.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #96 of 136 Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 403
This game finally opens up once you can brand. Spent a good 30+ mins just running around branding everything!

PSN/XBL/Steam/Etc: Epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Video
post #97 of 136 Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post
I am about 22+ hours in (Branding all 5 Warchiefs now) and the best way to behead is to get your Sword glowing Blue (I have my Sword turn Blue for executions after 5 hits instead of 8. Makes it easier). and hit them with that when their Health is low and this usually beheads them easily (Glowing Sword is for Executions). I behead Captains, Elite Captains and Warchiefs with no problems. Once beheaded their followers run in terror.
I'm just a few hours in and can't seem to figure out the beheading. Does it only work when the triangle+circle indicator appears? I swear I mash those two buttons but nothing happens. One captain who keeps killing me is already at level 19. For all the game tells me about each herb I collect, I wish there was more guidance to the combat.
post #98 of 136 Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys, I have an audio question for people playing this on the PS4. My receiver is acting crazy and I can't figure it out. Basically the center channel stopped working and dialogue started coming thru the left and right channels. I tried shadow of mordor last night and the center channel is completely silent. I put a bluray in and I got the proper 5.1 sound with dialogue coming thru the center channel. Also tried nba2k15 and had the same issue with no sound coming thru center channel. Anyone else notice this on their ps4 game or is my receiver going crazy?
post #99 of 136 Old 10-17-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post
I'm just a few hours in and can't seem to figure out the beheading. Does it only work when the triangle+circle indicator appears? I swear I mash those two buttons but nothing happens. One captain who keeps killing me is already at level 19. For all the game tells me about each herb I collect, I wish there was more guidance to the combat.
All I can tell ya is when my Sword is glowing blue you can do execution moves. If you can time it right and hit Captains and higher when their health is down with the Sword glowing blue, more likely than naught you will get a decapitation. I use a Wireless 360 controller while playing on my PC and I press Y + B at the sametime when my sword is glowing blue. No I don't have to wait until that button combo is flashed on the screen. I decapitated a Black Hand today (finished the game), he was a level 18 Warchief

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #100 of 136 Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 PM

I think part of my problem is that I was approaching this like I do other open world games like Elder Scrolls or Assassins Creed - I typically avoid the main story and do a lot of side missions first. However it seems in this game your abilites (so far anyway) are driven by the main quest. So I probably need a better balance of main story and side missions.

My main nemesis captain (haven't gotten to War Chiefs yet) is now level 20, but most of the others are between 5-7. I really want to get that guy. I just finished Watch Dogs + Bad Blood.. boy would some IEDs come in handy in this game. 😜
post #101 of 136 Old 10-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle Shepard View Post
Hey guys, I have an audio question for people playing this on the PS4. My receiver is acting crazy and I can't figure it out. Basically the center channel stopped working and dialogue started coming thru the left and right channels. I tried shadow of mordor last night and the center channel is completely silent. I put a bluray in and I got the proper 5.1 sound with dialogue coming thru the center channel. Also tried nba2k15 and had the same issue with no sound coming thru center channel. Anyone else notice this on their ps4 game or is my receiver going crazy?

Same thing happened to me with Battlefield 4, at first sound came out the center channel, then after one of the systems update it stoped doing so, sound came exactly the way you describe, couldn´t make it work whatever I did, with Blurays and other games it works great.
post #102 of 136 Old 10-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Should finish this up tonight and get the platinum, I'm on the last mission. It's taken just over 24 hours to get 100% (all trophies).

The Weekend Warriors
post #103 of 136 Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
strongly on whether the graph are the differences?
post #104 of 136 Old 10-28-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just finished the main story last night. Won't spoil anything, but kind of disappointed with the last few encounters (especially the last boss).

It was a fun game though, I wasted tons of time just screwing around with the Orcs and Warchiefs.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #105 of 136 Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow - I've utilized the new music function, and I've been playing the Lord of the Rings soundtracks in the background instead of the game music, and it's freakin awesome. I just put in the adventury, fighting music (Riders of Rohan; Khazad Doom; Helms Deep; Rohirram, etc).

It gives it a whole new feel, much more epic. And when you get into those awesome transendent moments when the action on screen perfectly matches the current musical piece... Just amazing.

I love this game.
post #106 of 136 Old 11-02-2014, 06:05 PM

I'm still liking this game quite a lot. Although I don't know how some of you guys finished it so fast. I'm nearly 23 hours in and at 49%..
post #107 of 136 Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I'm still liking this game quite a lot. Although I don't know how some of you guys finished it so fast. I'm nearly 23 hours in and at 49%..
I bought the game 2 weeks ago, 61% with 20 hours. Trying to do as much as I can.
Really enjoying it so far.
post #108 of 136 Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm at about 30 hours, with 3 missions left. But I have a lot of other stuff I'd still like to do (Side missions, hunting, etc). I can't imagine finishing with less than 40 hours on this.

post #109 of 136 Old 11-03-2014, 04:13 PM

One thing I really like is the use of the DS4 speaker. The sound of the sword singing or screech of a finishing move is so satisfying. Hopefully games will use this more and more.
post #110 of 136 Old 11-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Just finished the main story.

Some thoughts on the ending..
Spoiler!

To those just starting, I would advise to keep an eye on your progression. Typically I tend to try and keep a good balance so my side missions are finished in relative progression with the main missions. In this game I was a bit caught off guard by being done with the main story, but only 57% overall completion.
post #111 of 136 Old 11-10-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just finished the main story.

Some thoughts on the ending..
Spoiler!

To those just starting, I would advise to keep an eye on your progression. Typically I tend to try and keep a good balance so my side missions are finished in relative progression with the main missions. In this game I was a bit caught off guard by being done with the main story, but only 57% overall completion.

I playing this game by areas. Trying to do all and then on the main mission.
I think I got 5 or 6 main missions to complete.
30 hours and 82% complete.
Tbh, I have little interest in the main story, I'm having more fun doing the side missions and taking down the war chiefs and captains.
post #112 of 136 Old 11-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So.. 47 hours in and 78% done. One main mission to go. I have never spent as much time trying to finish side missions and level up as I have on this game. It has become my favorite game of all time. I actually have been holding off on finishing because I don't want it to end
The last thing I did before I stopped playing is I walked into a random garrison and waited for the uruks to sound the alarm then I killed everyone inside and it wasn't even difficult. That's what I love most about this game....how ridiculously powerful you become
Chairman7w likes this.
post #113 of 136 Old 11-19-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

finished it yesterday! 100% complete, 37 hours.
You do become so powerfull. I just went for it. Fought Uruks for more than 25 minutes (real minutes) and I could go on and on and on,.... lol.
Great game.
I did enjoyed the side missions, unlike any AC games.
post #114 of 136 Old 11-24-2014, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Just fyi...Kmart is selling this at 24.99 right now, and Best Buy online has price matched it for "elite" members. I just went ahead and ordered mine from BB online, although in store them or Walmart may match Kmart.
emartins likes this.

Last edited by Omni009; 11-24-2014 at 03:37 AM.
post #115 of 136 Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Just fyi...Kmart is selling this at 24.99 right now, and Best Buy online has price matched it for "elite" members. I just went ahead and ordered mine from BB online, although in store them or Walmart may match Kmart.

Thanks, was meaning to pick this up after the holidays but for $20, after my GC discount, I couldn't pass on it.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #116 of 136 Old 11-29-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I may bite on the $30 digital version being offered on PSN right now. For you veterans, how hard is the game if I start at the toughest difficulty? I don't like my action games being too easy (a problem with most modern releases unfortunately), so hopefully it is possible to pump up the challenge.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #117 of 136 Old 11-29-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
I may bite on the $30 digital version being offered on PSN right now. For you veterans, how hard is the game if I start at the toughest difficulty? I don't like my action games being too easy (a problem with most modern releases unfortunately), so hopefully it is possible to pump up the challenge.
combat in general isn't really hard. Adjusting to the controls and timing would be the only challenge. You want to be careful not to die forever to the same/multiple enemies and it will impact the power balance and can stop your progress too early. Perhaps try the game on normal, then restart @ higher difficulty.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Etc: Epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Video
post #118 of 136 Old 11-29-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 3701
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
I don't like my action games being too easy (a problem with most modern releases unfortunately), so hopefully it is possible to pump up the challenge.
I don't remember an option to select difficulty, and I'm not seeing anything in the menu options.

The combat isn't hard, but swarms can get out of control easily - almost comically so. And the game doesn't stress retreat to regain health, although it is possible. I died - a lot. And deaths mean something, not to mention the game really taunts the player after a death, so it can add to the frustration.

Still, highly recommended.
post #119 of 136 Old 12-03-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
One thing I really like is the use of the DS4 speaker. The sound of the sword singing or screech of a finishing move is so satisfying. Hopefully games will use this more and more.

I actually hated the speaker option and turned it off. I don't pay all that money on speakers to have a 50 cent speaker in my gamepad do it. It immediately seemed like all the normal center channel noises were going to the gamepad. Voices, when sneaking through bushes etc. It just seemed really wrong. Besides, I barely get 5hrs of game time out of the ds4 as it is.
post #120 of 136 Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I actually hated the speaker option and turned it off. I don't pay all that money on speakers to have a 50 cent speaker in my gamepad do it. It immediately seemed like all the normal center channel noises were going to the gamepad. Voices, when sneaking through bushes etc. It just seemed really wrong. Besides, I barely get 5hrs of game time out of the ds4 as it is.
Understandable, although I don't think that anything out of the DS4 speaker quaified as center channel criteria. I look at the center channel as 3rd person dialog. Whereas things that would normally be where the player is in the center (ie swords, grass brushing against your head when sneaking, etc) would come out of all speakers - or in this case, the DS4.

That said, the DS4 is a curious experiment. I wonder - if they could go back to the drawing board, would they have put in the light bar?
That's one thing I don't see a particularly draw for, even though I was a Move supporter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page